Author Topic: last tube receiver/amp we owned is a GRUNDIG  (Read 958 times)

Offline efren_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
last tube receiver/amp we owned is a GRUNDIG
« on: Aug 25, 2009 at 09:36 PM »
yes, I remember i was in my 2nd year high school then when we opened up my father's console, he complained of random "hissing". It was a huge cabinet, at the back is the access panel with screen obviously for ventilation, front panel is the controls, instead of VOLUME it was "LAUTSTARKE". But what surprised me is the innards, the PSU transformer has a name " MORALES ELECTRONICS" stamped on it. the aluminum chassis is one heck of a sloppy job, they dont even bother to erase the pentel pen markings as guides! I saw 4 6BQ5 near the 2 output transformers, several 12AX7's, ECC83 near the AM tuner front end, i even got a nasty electric shock even when it is already unplugged :o! I somehow touched the psu filter caps B+. The turntable btw is GARRARD. My point is GRUNDIG is german made, how come it got "transplanted" with what i know, now only, is a cheap tube amp. Uso na rin pala ganyan nuon ;D, eventually the thing got junked, nakatay. I should have saved those tubes, almost 3 decades have passed, those useless junk parts is now a treasure :'(.    
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2009 at 07:53 AM by iiinas »
"just keep 'em glowing"

Offline catrow23

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: last tube reciever/amp we owned is a GRUNDIG
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM »
Hi Efren,

I too have the same old memories. I remember our Cabinet console with the Grundig automatic turntable and the Fisher stainless audio panel shining at the center table with the folding hood. The main amp consists of Lion Output transformers, 5u4GB tubes, 6L6 outputs, and 12AX7's. (Actually, this is where I got my interest in Electronics) So I guess the stereo that you had before was an assembled one (made in the Phil) because Morales, Fernandez, Avisur are famous family names of Phil made TRansformers early 80's.

So now we we're back onto the Vintage era, cost of the tubes amps are too expensive. Kung alam lang natin sana naitago na sa baul..Ganyan talaga..

Offline efren_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: last tube reciever/amp we owned is a GRUNDIG
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 09:39 AM »
oo nga po, i even remember the smell of it as the tube heats up, and as it cools down upon turning it off, i remember hearing ticking inside.. i sure miss that console....
"just keep 'em glowing"