Author Topic: Beauty and The Beast - Criterion disc details  (Read 1015 times)

Offline benny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Beauty and The Beast - Criterion disc details
« on: Feb 05, 2003 at 03:57 AM »

Beauty and The Beast   - Criterion Collection  
 $29.96  (25%), Feb 11.

[size=-3]Press Release:    HomeVision Entertainment[/size]

Original Silver Screen Beauty And The Beast On Criterion DV Fairy-Tale Masterpiece Newly Restored Special Edition: Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la BĂȘte)

Home Vision Entertainment Distribs Landmark DVD Mme. Leprince de Beaumont's Beauty Streets 2/11/03

New York, New York, January 2003--Once upon a time, in a world of magic and wonder, the true love of a beautiful girl may finally dispel the torment of a feral but gentle-hearted beast. Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la BĂȘte) is a landmark feat of cinematic fantasy in which master filmmaker Jean Cocteau conjures spectacular visions of enchantment, desire, and death that have never been equaled. The Criterion Collection proudly presents the original film version of Mme. Leprince de Beaumont's fairy-tale masterpiece in a newly restored spectacular special edition for $39.95.

Special Features include:

Breathtaking new high-definition digital transfer made from restored film elements

Original opera written for the film by renowned composer Philip Glass, presented in Dolby Digital 5.1  

Screening at the Majestic, 1995 documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew

Interview with cinematographer Henri Alekan

Two commentary tracks: one featuring film historian Arthur Knight, and the other featuring writer/cultural historian Sir Christopher Frayling

Rare behind-the-scenes and publicity stills

Original 1945 trailer narrated by Cocteau

Film restoration demonstration

1995 restoration trailer

A reprint of Mme. Leprince de Beaumont’s original fable translated from the French

Notes by Francis Steegmuller, from his landmark book Cocteau: A Biography

A note about the film by Jean Cocteau

New and improved English subtitle translation

Optimal image quality: dual layer edition

(same spine number as the first release : )

Movie Reviews
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2003 at 04:16 AM by benny »

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Beauty and The Beast - Criterion disc details
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 01:57 PM »
hi benny! thanks for the info!  :) I have a question, is this movie okay? i'm planning to get this title kasi... ty... :)

Offline benny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Beauty and The Beast - Criterion disc details
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2003 at 12:29 AM »
ThePatriot - I haven't seen it yet, so can't give my opinion. You can check out the movie reviews link (above) or let's hope someone posts a mini review.  :)

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Beauty and The Beast - Criterion disc details
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2006 at 12:48 PM »
its worth a blind buy. never hesistate on buying this great classic dvd from criterion.one of the greatest movies france has ever produced. this movie was also the basis of the animated film. di ka magsisisi.one of the building blocks of any classic movie and dvd collector!

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
Re: Beauty and The Beast - Criterion disc details
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2006 at 01:22 PM »
i have it on laser disc format, bought early '90s. good for collection but it may fail your expectations. remember, however, that Jean Cocteau made this classic when technology was comparatively crude. yet, this original was considered a masterpiece and served as basis for the many versions that came out later. (it even inspired Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac to write a song after watching it back in the '80s.) the quality of the LD copy was not that good, compared with American films during that era also reissued. my kids find the acting corny, although my daughter who's now in late teens speaks French. i wonder how its DVD 'restored' copy quality would be like.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2006 at 01:26 PM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis