Author Topic: Setting up a turntable -- a few questions  (Read 4024 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Setting up a turntable -- a few questions
« on: Aug 20, 2007 at 05:16 PM »
Hi guys, here are a couple of questions I have with regards to turntables and the phono function of my amp.

I recently added a Sansui turntable to my setup. I noticed a consistent hum whenever I play a record. It disappears when there's no record playing but if I touch the turntable itself (the metal part) the hum appears. Is the turntable grounded? I noticed that the RCA cables attached to the turntable has a third cable with a stripped wire. Is this a grounding wire that I need to attach to remove the hum?

Secondly, I connected the turntable to the phono connection of my Denon amp. Looking at the front, there is a Phono selector with four settings -- MM, MC, subsonic MM, and subsonic MC. What are these settings and what are their uses? Also ,which setting should I use?

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Setting up a turntable -- a few questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 05:57 PM »
yup. u got it right bro. the 3rd wire is a ground wire and is just as important as the 2 others with polarity. if you did not connect the ground wire, that is what causes those hums.

MM, MC input options to the phonostage would depend on the cartridge that you are using. there are MM and MC cartridges, and hence those options are offered on most phonostage inputs.

welcome to the real deal in audio bro...happy analog listening.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 06:03 PM »
subsonic settings are just an enhancement of sound of either MM or MC cartridge you are using.... :D

Welcome to Analog World....  8)  8)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 06:04 PM »
I recently added a Sansui turntable to my setup. I noticed a consistent hum whenever I play a record. It disappears when there's no record playing but if I touch the turntable itself (the metal part) the hum appears. Is the turntable grounded? I noticed that the RCA cables attached to the turntable has a third cable with a stripped wire. Is this a grounding wire that I need to attach to remove the hum?

Whoa this is mandatory.  You must ground the third wire by connecting it to the receiver chassis where you connect and L and R out.  In most receivers and preamps I've seen there's usually a screw near the phono inputs where you connect this for grounding.

Secondly, I connected the turntable to the phono connection of my Denon amp. Looking at the front, there is a Phono selector with four settings -- MM, MC, subsonic MM, and subsonic MC. What are these settings and what are their uses? Also ,which setting should I use?

MM = Moving Magnet
MC = Moving Coil

These are the two most common types of cartridges used.  So you should know what type of cartridge you are using and select the appropriate setting on the phono preamp.    If you don't know, you can just guess the setting. The wrong setting will yield a lower signal level. 

The subsonic MM or MC are low frequency filters to protect the woofers of your speakers from large excursions common when playing warped LPs.  You can always visually check this.  Take off the speaker grill and you'll see the woofers move wildly as you lower the tonearm down to the groove or when playing warped LPs.  Just use the filter appropriate for your cartridge type. 
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2007 at 06:08 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2007 at 08:21 PM »
Thanks so much guys! It's been a big help and a great learning experience for me. I am enjoying my analog excursions already. Thanks to sir Blondie for the opportunity. ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 01:57 PM »
Hi guys, I have another question -- in fact it's a problem that I recently met with my setup. I placed the Sansui turntable on top of my Sony CD player, everything was working well but last night when I turned on my CD player, it refused to read any kind of CD anymore. Now this player of mine has been quite reliable and never had problems reading any kind of media. Could the turntable have affected the CD player when I placed it on top of it?

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2007 at 03:45 PM »
Hi guys, I have another question -- in fact it's a problem that I recently met with my setup. I placed the Sansui turntable on top of my Sony CD player, everything was working well but last night when I turned on my CD player, it refused to read any kind of CD anymore. Now this player of mine has been quite reliable and never had problems reading any kind of media. Could the turntable have affected the CD player when I placed it on top of it?

Is the TT heavy? if so, maybe the weight have caused the CD top cover to warp and mis_allined the magnetic plastic clamp that hold the CD on the platter, result laser could not properly read the right data of the cd. try to test CD again without the TT on top.. if the problrem persist consult the Dr.  :D I mean a technician or open the case and inspect of anything unusual.. I hope this help... ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007 at 03:48 PM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 06:52 AM »
check the wirings bro...something might have come loose when you did the rearrangement.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline devo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 04:39 PM »
Could the turntable have affected the CD player when I placed it on top of it?
Hi Indie Boi,

the turntable on top of the cd player should not have any effect, in fact you can see on some set ups weights such as block of wood or a brick is placed on top of cd players to serve as vibration dampers.
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 05:45 PM »

nope,  my turntable sits on top of my CD player as well.  Maybe your CD player requires a lens re-alignment.  Just bring it to a reliable shop and have it repaired.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2007 at 10:58 PM »
Thanks guys! for some weird reason, when I placed a piece of 3/4 inch wood in between the turntable and the cd player, it started playing again. although sometimes hindi din nagbabasa but just a simple open/close of the tray and it reads the cds again. Weird.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM by indie boi »

Offline doasmarx

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 09:20 PM »
hi I'm new here and the is my first post. last year I bought a brand new technics sl1210 m5g TT and up to now I haven't used it fully cause Im having a hard time balancing the tonearm/cartridge. it seems that the crtridge i bought is too light for the tonearm as it always tilt backwards even after removing the "weights" located at the rear prt of the tonearm. I'm new TT so I need ur help

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:11 AM »
what cartridge are you using?
money is best spent

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 08:45 AM »
Back in the '80s when Ortofon OMs and other light cartridges came out, a lot of TT owners bought those pickups only to realize they're not suitable for older tonearms. Their solution? Use a traditional headshell for those carts and tape a 25-centavo coin on top of the headshell. I've seen this in many record shops back then and it worked.

Anyway, the SL1210 is a conventional turntable and if you're using a conventional pickup, there shouldn't be any problem. Practically all Technics TTs I've used (probably a dozen models) could handle light cartridges. If you got your TT brand new (the original 1210 home TT came out in 1979, but I understand production lasted until 2002 for the 1210 made for DJs), it should have the original counterweight, no modification or add ons. Unless the DJ models' counterweight was modified since they need heavier cartridges and higher tracking force to produce those thumping mid-low frequencies (others refer to as bass).

Anyway, push the counterweight right next to the fulcrum, if it still tilts backward, apply the coin solution.

hi I'm new here and the is my first post. last year I bought a brand new technics sl1210 m5g TT and up to now I haven't used it fully cause Im having a hard time balancing the tonearm/cartridge. it seems that the crtridge i bought is too light for the tonearm as it always tilt backwards even after removing the "weights" located at the rear prt of the tonearm. I'm new TT so I need ur help

POSTSCRIPT:

I googled your TT model I'm just curious what the 5G in the model number is for. You may have to check your user's manual, my suspicion is that you need a cartridge with a weight of at least 5 grams to make it work (unless you use the coin). Conventional pickups' weight range from 5 grams up, but the lighter ones go down below, even 3 grams, if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2008 at 09:10 AM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline doasmarx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 12:16 PM »
what cartridge are you using?

shure M44-7

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2008 at 12:21 PM by doasmarx »

Offline stereophile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • What matters is in the groove...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM »
I own two 1200s. Your 1210 Mk5 G is the newer DJ version w/ increased pitch control range and improved tonearm. Still the models are basically the same. I also use a Shure M44-7 cart on my rigs. I have not encountered  a problem mouting the M44-7.

One question: Is the extra weight bolted onto the rear-end of the tonearm? If so, this is the cause of the proble. Simply unscrew it. You will be able to balance the tonearm level, then turn to 2gms tracking force. Set anti-skate just a little less than 2.

The extra weight is meant to be used with heavier carts.

Offline doasmarx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 01:10 PM »
I own two 1200s. Your 1210 Mk5 G is the newer DJ version w/ increased pitch control range and improved tonearm. Still the models are basically the same. I also use a Shure M44-7 cart on my rigs. I have not encountered  a problem mouting the M44-7.

One question: Is the extra weight bolted onto the rear-end of the tonearm? If so, this is the cause of the proble. Simply unscrew it. You will be able to balance the tonearm level, then turn to 2gms tracking force. Set anti-skate just a little less than 2.

The extra weight is meant to be used with heavier carts.

yeah i know what you are referring to ill try unscrew to see if it will balance.

Offline stereophile

• Collector
  • What matters is in the groove...
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2008 at 07:26 PM »
Where you able to unscrew the additional counterweight? Where you able to balance the M44-7?

Offline doasmarx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 02:29 PM »
Where you able to unscrew the additional counterweight? Where you able to balance the M44-7?

yeah i already did and still unbalance the tonearm tilted forward which means that i have to adjust the balance weight control.

Offline blues

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM »
you can adjust the balance weight of the exactly weight and the anti-skate the same weight of your tone arm and listen in the middle track and last when its playing if clean sooundings.