Author Topic: MAGNIFICO  (Read 26404 times)

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MAGNIFICO
« on: Feb 05, 2003 at 04:27 AM »
I liked this movie. ;D

Anybody else seen it?
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Re:MAGNIFICO
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 06:29 AM »
planning to see it from your recomm and Noel's. any more details to whet my appetite? was turned off by the poster but this forum always gets me to change my mind.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 06:32 AM »
it's really worth it.  it has it's flaws, but overall, i liked it.  are you on my mailing list?
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 06:36 AM »
i'm sorry but i'm afraid i'm not it. never heard of it til you mentioned it just now.  ;D could i sign up? where?

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 06:42 AM »
go to www.brashyoungcinema.tk

and put your e-mail in both mailing lists on the site.  it's located somewhere in the middle of the page yata.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
MAGNIFICO
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 06:46 AM »
count me in, that'd be of great help.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 01:20 PM »
I'm going to catch it as well. Anyone familiar with Mario J.'s works?

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 08:20 PM »
I loved the way he directed the ensemble cast in Working Girls.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2003 at 11:37 PM »
I loved the way he directed the ensemble cast in Working Girls.

Didn't Bernal direct working girls?

Offline Joe Dallesandro

• Collector
  • I was a sex icon!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 12:00 AM »
Yup. Direk Ishma was the one who directed WORKING GIRLS.

I've only seen a few of Direk Maryo's works, but I feel that he's good at doing nostalgic  melodramas. I liked HIGH SCHOOL CIRCA 65, TAGOS NG DUGO, PARAISO NI EFREN and especially BAGETS.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2003 at 12:08 AM by Joe Dallesandro »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
MAGNIFICO
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 05:49 AM »
oops! sorry for the mix-up. i liked BAGETS too! we never see good films about teenagers locally these days.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2003 at 12:02 PM »
I'm going to see this one. Nevermind if it's depressing.

Joe, PM me!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2003 at 09:07 PM »
Is it true that Magnifico will be screened in the upcoming Cannes Film Festival and is vying for the Palme d'Or?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2003 at 02:40 AM »
Opened yesterday.

Anyone else seen it?

As I've said, I recommend it; I think it's quite good.

Offline Lex Luthor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2003 at 09:21 AM »
Opened yesterday.

Anyone else seen it?

As I've said, I recommend it; I think it's quite good.

friends who watched it liked the movie. will be watching it this weekend...

Offline jaycat

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2003 at 10:26 AM »
the script won first prize in a local screenwriting competiiton (forgot the name).

am planning to watch it to see if the film turned out well, unlike other prize-winning scripts which seemed to have been watered down as they passed through creative committees on their way to the big screen.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2003 at 07:14 PM »
Despite some very minor flaws, it was really, really good. I do hope the film does well as to encourage other producers to make more movies of this type.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2003 at 06:23 PM by RMN »

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2003 at 10:58 PM »
I'm going to catch it as well. Anyone familiar with Mario J.'s works?

Here's a bio about Maryo J. de los Reyes I found at UP Film Center website:

Maryo J. de los Reyes took the route of stage and television before moving on to film directing. He has a communications degree from the premier state university where he served for a while as a lecturer. During his active days in theater, he was very much involved with the Philippine Educational Theater Association not only in staging plays. He joined PETA’s teaching force, CITASA, and was its program director from 1975 to 1979. In television, his name was very much identified with the drama anthology show topbilled by superstar Nora Aunor, Ang Makulay na Daigdig ni Nora. His association with Lino Brocka gave him the training to direct for movies. He debuted with High School Circa ‘65 in 1979 and immediately followed it up in the same year with Gabun—Ama Mo, Ama Ko that won him a Papal Award. Among other recognition he garnered as film director are two Catholic Mass Media Awards for Tagos ng Dugo in 1987 and My Other Woman in 1990 and a Star Award from the Philippine Movie Press Club for Sinungaling Mong Puso in 1992. Hailed to this day is the groundbreaking youth-oriented flick, Bagets, which he made in 1984. Maryo belongs to the generation acknowledged as the forerunner of the Second Golden Age in Philippine Cinema from the ’70s to the mid-’80s and is considered at present as one of the most prolific mainstream filmmakers with a highly diverse and exciting body of work.

source: http://www.geocities.com/philmovies/upshots/upshots6/upshots6reyes.html

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2003 at 12:15 AM »
nice movie.. its not a totally dramatic movie.. nice inclusion of light humor.. and the right dose of emotion grabbing scenes..  :)

To sum up in 1 word "Magnifico", but don't take my word for it.. watch it!!

/2E6H
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2003 at 02:30 AM by wcvmorasa »

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2003 at 02:24 AM »
pegging this up for awhile.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Magnifico, El Crimen del Padre Amaro, & Facifica Falayfay
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2003 at 03:14 AM »
It's a wonderful life

Noel Vera

Maryo J. delos Reyes' "Magnifico" is something fairly new in recent Philippine cinema: a wholesome, family-oriented picture without soft-core nudity, gushing blood, elaborate digital effects or even large gasoline explosions that is actually quite good.

Along with the absence of sex 'n violence 'n CGI, the movie lacks overcomplicated subplots, heavy-handed melodrama, sadistic villains, and masochistic heroes (there is an extended sequence of people weeping, but one of the modest miracles of this modest film is that you don't object too much--the tears feel well-earned).  You could make a list out of all the flaws and excesses the movie doesn't have--a long and comprehensive list that would describe practically every Filipino film made recently.

What it does have is the conviction that the story of a boy, oddly named Magnifico, who goes about trying to help his family and neighbors, is actually enough to hold one's interest for two hours, even win one's heart. Magnifico and his family have problems--his sister (Isabella de Leon) has cerebral palsy, his father (Albert Martinez) struggles to find work, his grandmother (Gloria Romero) is dying of cancer.  He's surrounded by people full of loneliness and pain and all kinds of needs that even the ablest of men would find difficult to satisfy.  He himself isn't anything obviously special--he has no magical abilities a la Harry Potter, or Ring of Power a la Frodo Baggins; he isn't even very bright.  All he has is the innocence (ignorance, if you like) to attempt the impossible, the imagination (insanity, if you like) to think up creative ways around the impossibility, and the stout heart (stubbornness, if you like) to persevere at what he thinks is the right thing to do.

A modest film of modest virtues, as I've said--which makes it an especially difficult film to do well.  The challenges are many: depicting ordinary life realistically enough for people to recognize without boring them, injecting jokes that are funny without violating the characters' integrity, showing just enough heart to move people but not overwhelm them with sentimentality.   On top of this elaborate balancing act the film manages to sustain a specific kind of emotional tone--a slightly skewed air of mild enchantment, as if the very air sparkled, faintly.  I'm not talking of special effects, or effects of any kind, but a sort of stylized realism that allows for improbabilities to happen and for us to believe in them--think "Amelie" (with its somewhat similar idea of a do-gooding youth) but without magic--or rather, magic of a subtler kind.

Part of the credit for the achievement goes to Michiko Yamamoto, who came up with the idea and created the characters in her prizewinning screenplay (first prize, Film Development Foundation).  Part goes to delos Reyes who with intelligent camerawork and sprightly pacing manages to realize in visual terms that elusive tone the script strives for and--not an easy thing to do--achieves without too much effort.  Part goes to the excellent cast: Amy Austria as casually funny neighbor; Mark Gil as brooding bus driver; Tonton Gutierrez as wealthy employer; Lorna Tolentino as Magnifico's sorely tried mother; Gloria Romero as fragile old grandmother (a part she played in "Tanging Yaman," only this time better written). Jiro Manio is good as Magnifico--cute but not excessively so, able to carry the film and at the same time sustain (effortlessly, always effortlessly) the all-important tone.  Isabella de Leon is particularly good as the sister with cerebral palsy--she plays out entire scenes not just with twisted hands and distorted mouth, but with a distinct and actual character in mind, who develops as the film progresses. Albert Martinez gives possibly his finest performance in a long time, as the hard-luck father: I especially liked the moment when he's asked the name of his newborn child and he pauses--dreamy, faraway look on his face--before replying: "Magnifico!"  Watching him, you understand where the child's windmill-tilting spirit comes from.

The existence of a film like "Magnifico" is every bit as unlikely as its title character.  Yamamoto had been working on scripts at Viva Films for several years without making much of an impact; delos Reyes had been churning out all kinds of movies, from melodramas to lurid sex flicks ("Red Diaries," "Paraiso ni Efren" (Efren's Paradise)).  Delos Reyes had to discover her script, then find a producer in Ms. Violett of Violett Films to give him the money (a lot, I hear--you wonder, can this movie actually make its money back?).  Philippine cinema is in dire straits, has been for years, is worse off now more than ever; it's small miracles like this odd little picture that allow you to still hope for the industry.

Pelikula at Lipunan 2003

Speaking of heavy-handed melodrama... the opening film of "Pelikula at Lipunan" (Film and Society) 2003 is Carlos Carrera's "El Crimen del Padre Amaro," the biggest box-office hit in Mexican history and the country's official entry to the Academy Awards for Best Foreign Film (has a chance of winning too, thanks to recent sex scandals involving American priests). It's based on a 19th century Portuguese novel by José María Eça de Queiróz, and shows it--the movie is practically a laundry list of felonies and misdemeanors committed by Catholic priests in a rural town in Mexico. Fornication, corruption, deceit, intimidation, blackmail--you name it, they done it, with the kind of breathless intensity and attention to juicy detail of a hit telenovela (actually, I've seen telenovelas that practiced more restraint).  The climax of all this scandalous behavior is Padre Amaro (the dewy-eyed Gael Garcia Bernal) draping a blue cloth over a mouthwateringly young Mexican girl (Ana Claudia Talancón) and declaring her "more beautiful than the virgin."  Blasphemous?  Not really...

Actually, I don't mind church bashing as much as I do bashing done with such shocking ineptness.  Greater Latin filmmakers have taken on the church, with more imaginatively fruitful results--Arturo Ripstein (whose father and nephew produced "Crimen") with his "Divine," Luis Bunuel with "Viridiania" come to mind.  This film, with its simplistic characterization and predictable storyline, is like cheap graffiti on cathedral walls. Should the Catholic church be offended?  Yes, I think--after surviving two thousand years of prosecution and the vagaries of human history, it deserves a stronger, sharper, more carefully thought-out assault.

Far more enjoyable was "Pelikula at Lipunan's" other opening film--Luciano Carlos' "Facifica Falayfay" (1969), part of the festival's tribute to Dolphy, the Filipino King of Comedy.

Facifica (or Pacifico, as he was originally baptized) was born a boy, but because Aling Kobang (Dely Atay-atayan) wanted a girl, he's raised from childhood wearing frocks and curly hair.  Dolphy makes a grand entrance, sashaying down a staircase in a see-through raincoat over bikini underwear, and not once looks back--it's a horrifyingly hilarious performance full of slapstick, cheap humor and about a hundred costume changes, each more outrageous than the next.

For the record, filmmaker "Chaning" Carlos shows a real flair for musical numbers (better than Brocka ever did in his compelling, though musically inept, "Stardoom"), car chases and even chases (a comedy staple) in general.   I like it that he inserts his finale--a jazzy number full of guns and gangsters and noir cliches--into the film for no other reason than that, apparently, he felt like it.  Wonderful, wonderful film--with Pilar Pilapil (looking hotter than any Mexican virgin can ever hope to look), as the love interest that finally converts Facifica into humdrum heterosexuality.

Footnote: I've no absolute proof to back this up, but Dolphy's swishing progress across the screen bears an uncanny resemblance to Rob Schneider's in "The Hot Chick."  Schneider is reportedly half Filipino--is it possible that he saw "Facifica" or any other of Dolphy's gay comedies and exported The Filipino King of Comedy's brand of lowbrow humor to the United States?  And, through the United States, the rest of the world...?

Other films worth watching: theater genius Julie Taymor's first film "Titus " (2000), an adaptation of Shakespeare's horrific play; P.T. Anderson's Adam Sandler picture "Punch-Drunk Love" (2002); Thai filmmaker Pen-ek Ratanaruang's "A Transistor Love Story" (2002); and Frank Gray Jr.'s "Omeng Satanasia" (1977), Dolphy's take on the Faust legend, with "The Omen" and "The Exorcist" thrown in for good measure.

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2003 at 03:19 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Lex Luthor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2003 at 03:48 PM »
was able to watch it last night and i really, really like it. much much better than the overhyped Munting Tinig.  felt like it was a Pinoy version of Amelie. even the musical score reminds me so much of that film. but as Noel said, it doesn't matter if it's copied or have similarities with other films as long as it's interesting. it was able to hold my attention from start to finish. i like the balance of drama and comedy which makes the film not so heavy, maybe that's why it's easy to like. and of course, very good performances from an all-star cast. initially i was hesitant that Lorna might steal the limelight but amazingly she dissolves into character and just came out a plain housewife, no hysterics here.

well, amazingly this came out a true gem of a film. it's been so long since i've watched a good Pinoy film. i can't help but wonder why this didn't make it in the MMFF. not that i put that festival in high esteem. just that i've read that the entries were selected through the screenplay. so this was beaten by Lastikman or Agimat or Hula Mo and all those crap...plain preposterous!

i just hope that this would usher the creation of more quality films...without resorting to sensational violence or gratuitous nudity and sex.  ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2003 at 03:57 PM by Lex Luthor »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2003 at 06:59 PM »
based on all your feedback, this seems to be the best film based on a script that won a screenplay contest. most of us in this forum were disappointed with jologs and what was that other film? can't wait to see magnifico.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 02:02 AM »
Anyone else seen this?  How's the boxoffice?

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 06:09 AM »
was supposed to see it yesterday but there were too many people in SM North. might catch it later today.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
MAGNIFICO
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 09:31 PM »
Finally saw it. Theater was almost half full and it was just 4pm.

Not since Tuhog did a Filipino film meet and even exceed my expectations. It was really worth seeing on a weekday, kind of extended my Sunday since it provided me with inspiration to last the whole week.

Jiro Manio is the new boy wonder. Been such an avid fan of his after seeing him in La Vida Rosa and one of the high points on Bagong Buwan. Lorna Tolentino and Albert Martinez are more natural here. Their characters are less contrived in this film compared to those of their other film Abakada... Ina (liked that film too). Yes, Gloria Romero has a better-written character her than in Tanging Yaman. I like the ensemble cast. Danilo Barrios is less irritating here than in Dekada '70. is Girlie Sevilla the daughter of the producer? Anyway, she is not a Sofia Coppola. Good thing for her.

I will just reiterate Noel's take on Isabella de Leon: particularly good as the sister with cerebral palsy--she plays out entire scenes not just with twisted hands and distorted mouth, but with a distinct and actual character in mind, who develops as the film progresses.

I do hope none of them and the film itself go unrecognized when next year's derby starts. I will be personally one of those to trumpet here unceasingly.

Who would've thought there is an emotional element in a Rubik's cube? Who would've thought I'd cry over the word "perya?" It may have come after Pay It Forward but this one is infinitely better than that schmaltzy flick. Jiro Manio can give Haley Joel a run for his money.

Pipol, support this film and spread the good news. I will encourage my students to see this as our support to the film industry. Eto ang totoong bagong buwan ng pelikulang Pilipino!

I can't believe I wasted my money and time on El Crimen last Saturday. That was indeed a crime!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 09:59 PM »
Magnifico is really quite lovely!!! I had to finish the end credits so all the people will leave and no one will see this bulky man red eyed... hehehe...

This will sure be a sure-buy when the DVD comes out... Sana packed with features... commentaries, trailers, etc. Keep on dreaming:)

Offline justine

• DVD Addict
  • Stay open, who knows, lightning would strike
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2003 at 10:32 PM »
Just reading this thread makes me want to rush to the theater tomorrow and catch this film.

I am kinda skeptical with Filipino Films though.  Oh well, maybe this is really good even my brother is swayed.

Wow, oggs it is nice to know that a big guy can be touched too.  ;D

This movie must really be moving.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2003 at 12:36 PM »
"I am kinda skeptical with Filipino Films though"

There ARE good ones out there.  Take it from someone who's made it a point to see what's out there, from Hollywood to Bollywood to Korea to Iran to Mexico to Argentina to Vietnam.  We do make good films, once in a while, and this is one of em.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2003 at 09:44 PM »
I watched this today (5pm screening).  Kudos to  megamall for being the only moviehouse (i think) still showing it.  i'm happy to report that a lot of people showed up to watch it, despite daredevil etc.  i'll try to encourage others (officemates and friends) to watch, i think this movie's run will last 'til tuesday so they have time.

loved it!  thanks to all (here in pinoydvd) who encouraged me to watch it.  i haven't watched any albert martinez or lorna tolentino film recently, and i'm so glad i watched this one.  they were sooo goood.