Author Topic: MAGNIFICO  (Read 26403 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re:MAGNIFICO
« Reply #60 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 06:14 PM »
Was Magnifico screened at either PBO or Cinema One a few days ago? Would anyone know when it will be shown on TV again?

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 09:53 PM »
Yes, Magnifico was screened in Cinema One but I don't have any idea when it will be shown again. Its best, I guess, to consult the Sky Guide.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #62 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 10:19 PM »
sige.. US based friends are asking me if there will be a US release. hopefully there will be.  can you ask ferdie lapuz if the canadian distributor represents the North American market too?

Who's Ferdie Lapuz?  Is he part of Violet films?  I'm not familiar with him.  And I'm also out of town.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Oct 21, 2003 at 11:08 PM »

Who's Ferdie Lapuz?  Is he part of Violet films?  I'm not familiar with him.  And I'm also out of town.

He's a Canada-based Filipino journalist and corresponds with Ricky Lo for updates on Pinoy films roaming around the world. I think he was the one who submitted Magnifico to Karlovy Vary and negotiated with it's Canadian distributor for it's North America release. He was aslo with Jeff Jeturian in Venice 2001.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Oct 23, 2003 at 10:21 AM »
He the one who claimed he also submitted Batang West Side to Karlovy Vary?  Because it didn't happen that way.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Oct 23, 2003 at 06:01 PM »
He the one who claimed he also submitted Batang West Side to Karlovy Vary?  Because it didn't happen that way.

really?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Oct 24, 2003 at 08:52 AM »
From a June 25 post on this thread:

Hi Ricky,

Well, I am all set to go to Karlovy Vary from July 6 until the 13th for the 48th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival in Czech Republic. Director Maryo J. delos Reyes’ Magnifico is in the official competition program, making it the very first Filipino film competing at the prestigious film event.

Direk Maryo together with his producer Violeta Sevilla of Violett Films, her daughter and actress Girlie Sevilla, musical director Lutgardo Labad and Jiro Manio with his father Andrew Manio are arriving in Prague on July 9. I am very grateful to Madam Violet for heeding my request to bring Jiro who plays the title role in Magnifico.

I requested the festival to schedule the gala presentation of Magnifico on July 11 so we can attend the awards ceremony on July 12. Prior to the gala presentation, Magnifico will have its official press screening in the morning to be followed by a press conference for the international press.

This was the very reason why I requested Madam to bring Jiro with them because I know that Jiro will surely win the hearts of the foreign press.

A second screening is scheduled on July 12 before the awards presentation.

Although this is my third major European film festival after Berlin in 2000 (Burlesk King, Live Show and Hubad sa Ilalim ng Buwan) and Venice in 2001 (Tuhog), this is the very first time that a festival is providing me my ticket and accommodations. Karlovy Vary has now considered me as external programming consultant after recommending Magnifico and Batang West Side last year.

For sure, I will be recommending another film for the 49th anniversary next year. As per their strict guideline, a film to be considered in the competition program should be either the world or international premiere. This rule applies to all the A festivals in the FIAPF list which include Cannes, Venice, Berlin, San Sebastian, Cairo, Shanghai, Tokyo and Montreal.

From Karlovy Vary, Magnifico is competing in the Asian program for the Montreal World Film Festival along with Dekada ’70 and Paraisong Parisukat in August and then the Asian premiere at the Fukuoka International Film Festival in September and on to Pusan, Korea in October. I am still in negotiations for the other festivals for Magnifico this year. I am projecting at least six to eight festivals this year some of which are for competition.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Oct 24, 2003 at 08:53 AM »
Ang lakas ng loob.

The man who recommended Batang West Side to Karlovy Vary was Radovan Holub, when he saw it premiere in Cinemanila.  I was there.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Oct 25, 2003 at 12:28 AM »
Ang lakas ng loob.

The man who recommended Batang West Side to Karlovy Vary was Radovan Holub, when he saw it premiere in Cinemanila.  I was there.

radovan holub might visit manila this december to check out the metro manila film fest.

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #69 on: Oct 30, 2003 at 06:33 PM »
is magnifico out on vcd or dvd?  

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Dec 03, 2003 at 12:29 AM »

Morgan Freeman gives Jiro the thumbs up
STARBYTES By Butch Francisco
The Philippine Star 12/02/2003

After opening to critical acclaim early this year, Maryo J. de los Reyes’ Magnifico continues to reap accolades, this time in film festivals abroad.

Produced by Violett Films, the first stop of Magnifico was at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival at the Czech Republic last July where it was fielded among 240 entries and ended up being chosen as one of the Top 15.

For this festival, Violett Films producer Madame Violet Sevilla herself accompanied Magnifico, along with the star of the film, Jiro Manio and Madame Violet’s daughter, Girlie Sevilla, who is also part of the movie (as Ising, the love interest of Danilo Barrios).

The members of this delegation saw for themselves the importance given by the host country to Magnifico and, yes, to the Philippines. While touring the place, they saw standing in the middle of the town the billboard of Magnifico with the Philippine flag flying beside it. Oh how proud they felt – particularly Jiro, who as always wore a Barong Tagalog.

After the screening of Magnifico (this was on July 7), everyone gave the film a standing ovation. Jiro was a hit–and so was Isabella de Leon. Isabella, who plays a victim of cerebral palsy in the movie, impressed the Czech audience to the point that they kept asking if she was really afflicted with such a disorder. Their favorite scene there, according to Girlie Sevilla, was this poignant, yet funny part where Jiro was getting the measurements of his grandmother (Gloria Romero) so that he may be able to make her a coffin – never mind the fact that she was still breathing and very much alive.

But the crowning moment for the delegation was when Morgan Freeman approached Jiro and gave the boy the thumbs up–a clear indication that even this great Hollywood actor was impressed with the performance of this child actor from the Philippines.

After Czechoslovakia, Magnifico (along with Star Cinema’s Dekada) next went to the Toronto Film Festival, where entries are put up for exhibition. Only Magnifico’s director, Maryo J. de los Reyes went to that one.

Magnifico’s two other stops were at the film festivals in Fukuoka and in Korea where it was again put up for exhibition.

But in the film festival in Hawaii recently, Magnifico – along with Noon at Ngayon and Dekada – once more went into competition. Out of 100 entries, Magnifico ended up in the Top 5 and was acclaimed as the most popular. It was Gloria Romero who was a hit there this time.

Magnifico should still be playing in Honolulu theaters by this time. (Its regular run was supposed to have started last Nov. 21.) Originally, Magnifico was scheduled to open in Hawaii in February 2004 yet. But because of the Hawaiian public’s warm reception to the movie during the film festival, its playdate had to be advanced in the theaters there.

Next year, the film will participate in more film festivals abroad – in Palm Springs, Bangkok, Venice, New Delhi, New York and Saipan.

In the local awards derbies next year, Magnifico will surely be a frontrunner for Best Picture and in the various acting categories.

Magnifico was produced by Madame Violet Sevilla to the tune of P25-M which would have been enough to produce three movies. Although the huge production cost of Magnifico didn’t exactly bring Madame Violet to the poorhouse, the amount she spent on it – by any kind of mathematics – would be quite diffucult to recover.

But she’s not about to give up. At the moment, she plans to produce another quality movie to be directed either by Chito Roño or Maryo de los Reyes. She also wants to get the service of Laurice Guillen because she liked Tanging Yaman.

Well-loved by industry members because of her kindness, generosity and, yes, professionalism, Madame Violet insists she will not stop until she has produced a great Filipino movie that we will be proud of – especially abroad.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Dec 04, 2003 at 12:35 PM »
Video 48 has a copy already, got the chance to watch it last weekend.

If CENTRAL STATION made you sad, this movie will definitely make you weep and cry.

Go and watch it if you want to cry once in a while... :'(

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Dec 04, 2003 at 02:47 PM »
Maybe not cry (manhid kasi) but I do like it and I support its success...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Dec 04, 2003 at 05:15 PM »
Is the sister of Jiro Manio in Magnifico really sick with cerebral palsy or that kind of disease?

That was a very effective portrayal of such kind of sickness!

If you are searching for the meaning of life and would like to attend a retreat...consider first this movie...
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2003 at 05:20 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Dec 05, 2003 at 12:53 PM »
No, the girl was acting, Maryo J. told me.  Excellent actress, too.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 11:06 AM »
No, the girl was acting, Maryo J. told me.  Excellent actress, too.

We thought she was really sick with cerebral palsy or such kind of disease!  :o

Thanks for the info...Noel.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Dec 06, 2003 at 01:01 PM »
No prob.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Feb 09, 2004 at 01:15 PM »
Heads Up!

Showing tonight, Monday, 09 February 2004 on CinemaOne at 7:30 pm.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 01:54 AM »
caught it last night. unfortunately the copy was awful... maybe it was Cinema One's crappy broadcasting, who knows. i also noticed that the mixing was awful -- background noise (kids playing, cars, etc) drowned out the dialogue. i watched it to the end though... we really should send this one to the oscars.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 11, 2004 at 09:24 AM »
Too late; the Film Academy sent Dekada '70 instead.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
MAGNIFICO
« Reply #80 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 02:45 AM »
The same fate might befall Crying Ladies. It was released too early like Magnifico. Did we send Batang West Side?
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 12, 2004 at 04:39 AM »
Again, politics.  Gil Portes is strong with the Academy, so his films get nominated; Star Cinema too, so Dekada gets sent.  Who's the producer of Batang West Side? Some newcomer with no clout and only the perceptiveness to create one of the best Filipino film in years.

This is one of the many reasons why I don't believe in awards.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2004 at 04:40 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 12:24 PM »
Won the Crystal Bear, the Grand Prix for Best Feature Film at the 27th Kinderfilmfest of the Berlin Film Festival held a couple of weeks ago.  Magnifico was adjudged the best film by both the International and the Children's jury, a first in the history of the film fest.  

According to the Inquirer, it will be reissued locally in March.  

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 12:44 PM »
Won the Crystal Bear, the Grand Prix for Best Feature Film at the 27th Kinderfilmfest of the Berlin Film Festival held a couple of weeks ago.  Magnifico was adjudged the best film by both the International and the Children's jury, a first in the history of the film fest.  

According to the Inquirer, it will be reissued locally in March.  

Finally...I'll have the chance to see it on the big screen.

Hope it will not be 1st day, last day.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 03:04 PM »
From our fave writer :D

Here now is Funfare’s Toronto-based "international correspondent" Ferdinand Lapuz on the recently-concluded Berlin Film Festival where Magnifico, directed by Maryo J. delos Reyes for Violett Films, won two awards:

Dear Ricky,

Hi. Just got back from Berlin.

Magnifico was a big hit at the 27th Kinderfilmfest of the Berlin International Film Festival. We were not aware the film won both the Grand Prix and Crystal Bear Awards until a few hours before direk Maryo and I left for Berlin.

Direk Maryo is very grateful to Mrs. Paz of the German Embassy and Ms. Vilma, his travel agent for making the impossible possible. He was able to get a German visa and book a ticket last Friday and he started doing it at 8 a.m. and by 9 p.m., he was already bound for Berlin.

The awards ceremony was held at the Zoo Palast. It was the main theater for the Kinderfilmfest and has a capacity of 1600. On our way from the airport to our hotel, we were told by the festival staff that after the awards presentation, a screening of the Grand Prix winners for feature and short films would follow. This got us excited because we didn’t really know how the German audience reacted in the past three screenings.

After checking in our hotel, we headed for the Zoo Palast in our Barong Tagalog braving the cold winter. The moment Thomas Hailer saw direk Maryo, he was all smiles and could not help but hug direk Maryo to show his gratefulness.

It so happened that even the director of the 14-plus Crystal Bear winner, The Wooden Camera, did not attend the festival. They still had to find him somewhere in South Africa. So the festival organizers were very happy that both filmmakers of the winning films were in attendance.

The first award presented was the Grand Prix from the International Jury. There were five members of the jury from Denmark, Italy, Germany, France and Finland. Direk Maryo and I both went up the stage to get the plaque and some flowers.

Then they presented the awards for the 14-plus category then the Crystal Bear for the Kinderfilmfest section. Eleven children who judged the films in this category. Later in the evening, we found out that the children jurors were more meticulous than the adult jury. They noticed even the smallest detail.

With Magnifico scooping the Grand Prix and Crystal Bear awards (plus 7500 Euros not 10,000 because the 2,500 was given to the short film Crystal Bear winner from Canada), the Philippines became the first Asian country to win both awards. It is also the first Asian country to win the Crystal Bear Award. This is such a big feat because Filipino cinema is not known for children’s films.

In his speech, direk Maryo thanked the festival for the awards might give our ailing industry the boost that we need, Madam Violet Sevilla for having the courage to produce the film, and his staff and the entire cast.

After the awards ceremony, direk Maryo and I went back to our hotel to change our clothes for the Kinderfilmfest party. Then, we headed back to the Zoo Palast to get the audience’s reaction. It was 99 percent German.

The German kids reacted to so many scenes that there were times they clapped very loudly for scenes they truly loved. But the touching moment was when the credits started to roll and roaring applause of the audience lasted for more than five minutes which is a seal of their approval that Magnifico truly deserves the awards. This truly touched the heart of direk Maryo.

While waiting at the lobby, hundreds of German kids sought for direk Maryo’s autograph. Most of them congratulated him for a film well done and there were some who just stayed and asked him questions about the film. Some jury members were convinced that child actress Isabella de Leon was really disabled.

Aside from Magnifico, two young Filipino filmmakers were in the Talent Campus section of the Berlinale. We managed to meet Khavn whose one-minute short film Slasher was screened.

Also in attendance at the awards night were the Philippine Ambassador to Germany Minerva Jean Falcon, Consul Noralyn Baja and Milagros Antonio-Kropp. We are very thankful to them for giving us moral support and keeping us company for our three-day stay in Berlin.

That’s all I have for now. I hope that I will soon have a bigger news for you about Filipino movies in the global scene.  

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 04:03 PM »
Again, politics.  Gil Portes is strong with the Academy, so his films get nominated; Star Cinema too, so Dekada gets sent.  Who's the producer of Batang West Side? Some newcomer with no clout and only the perceptiveness to create one of the best Filipino film in years.

This is one of the many reasons why I don't believe in awards.

wait till you see this year's Star Awards nominees. uggh. obvious na obvious, me kanya-kanya silang manok.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
MAGNIFICO (RE-ISSUE)
« Reply #86 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 02:58 PM »
Good News to all movie buffs trying to catch Magnico once again. Direk Laurice Guillien a guest of speaker for the 5th Pelikuletran a 15 min. short film.last Monday Feb.23 at Colegio de San Juan de Letran. She told us that Magnifico will be shown in movie theaters. Not becuse the movie gained so many awards. Because sayang it did not make an impact here in Manila because of poor advertisement.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
Re:MAGNIFICO (RE-ISSUE)
« Reply #87 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 03:00 PM »
Magnico was directed by Mario J. Delos Reyes.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
MAGNIFICO
« Reply #88 on: Mar 22, 2004 at 08:53 PM »
let's hope more people see this when it gets re-issued. I'm spreading the word around. I also hope the awards it won from the Star Awards will give it its much-needed boost.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 08:46 AM »
Any sked for the re-issue?  ???