Author Topic: Ishmael Bernal  (Read 23057 times)

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Ishmael Bernal
« Reply #30 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 06:35 PM »
Spoiler for CITY AFTER DARK:

Look for the cameo of ABBO Q. DELA CRUZ who was the caretaker in the morgue where the gang led by Bernardo Bernardo is finding the body of Alma Moreno.

Abbo dela Cruz is the one who massacre the entire household in Gallaga's ORO PLATA MATA, incidentally PEQUE GALLAGA also did the production design in this Bernal classic.

Is Abbo Dela Cruz the brother of Uro Dela Cruz?  :)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 06:46 PM »
Yup.

I think they are both close to Peque since Uro or Rosauro dela Cruz wrote many of Gallaga's best films including SCORPIO NIGHTS, VIRGIN FOREST &
ONCE UPON A TIME.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2003 at 06:52 PM »
Hm, I think so too. Uro has a cameo in Scorpio Nights.

Anyway, I gotta go, bro Keating. It's 7, and i'm still here at the office. Just waited for the number-coding scheme na matapos.

I think I'll pass by Video 48 kung makahabol pa. Will try to look for City After Dark.  :)

Offline pablo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 02, 2003 at 09:59 AM »

I know where Misericordia st na. It's near UN--parallel yata siya. It's a small sidestreet, we pass through that way one time after having lunch at one of the restaurants na kahanay ng Bayview.

Misericordia ang kalye ng Casa kung saan naka kuluong si Hilda sa Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag ni Lino.
Quintin Paredes na ito ngayon at sa Binondo ito (chinatown) hindi sa Malate.

Offline milkeemee2

• Collector
  • do you want my milk?
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 03, 2003 at 11:49 PM »
I will always remember him for  Working Girls.  In terms of campiness, it is still Ishmael for me.  He was able to  make Ma Isabel Lopez act and for me that's a very daunting task.  The character played by Joel Lamangan is one for  the books.  

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 06, 2003 at 06:42 PM »
On the set of NAGBABAGANG LUHA back in 1988,
Alice Dixson tested the patience of the eccentric BERNAL by being late & unprofessional on the set prompting the late director to call her "HIGH PITCH! HIGH PITCH!"

Bernal vowed never to work again with the actress and sure enough her voice was dubbed.  

Offline pablo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Aug 07, 2003 at 04:29 PM »
and alice said, "direk, bakit hindi po kayo mag pahingga?"
sabi ni ishma: "not for a piece of crap like you."

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2003 at 04:30 PM by pablo »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #37 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 08:30 AM »
and alice said, "direk, bakit hindi po kayo mag pahingga?"
sabi ni ishma: "not for a piece of s**t like you."

Sonamagun!  Galing ni direk!!!  ;D

Offline pablo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Aug 09, 2003 at 03:03 AM »
actually, what alice meant was, "retire."

thats why, that was the reaction of ishmael.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 06:53 PM »
There was a line of Amy Austria in HINUGOT SA LANGIT where Ishma fondly remembers very much when he was still alive....

"HAPPINESS IS NOT AN ACCIDENT...tinatrabaho yan..."

Now that he rest in peace...he finally got it.  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 05:50 AM »
Hinugot isn't the only one to depict or at least have an abortion in it, but it's the only one I know that focuses on it as its main issue.

Amy's scene was excellent, but my favorite moment there was when after her abortion Maricel spoke to her mother on the phone, and the mother asks her: "how are you doing?"  Maricel is silent, and the camera slowly closes in on her face, waiting for the answer she can't give.  It's one of the most painful, most touching moment in the film.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 10:36 AM »
Maricel's character in HSL is cynical till the very near end of the movie...but in the end you feel relieved when she finally smiled... :)

Noel that telephone scene with Maricel is also one of the most touching scene in the movie but I was moved also with Amy's breakdown scene.

IMO...this Maricel's best performance to date at par with saan darating ang umaga...
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2003 at 10:41 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 10:56 AM »
Don't remember that film.  Who directed that?

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #43 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 03:40 PM »
saw bernal's himala courtesy of cinema one's 50 greatest movies celebration. didn't understand it when i was younger but when i saw it again , whoa. it really forces you to think about your faith and why this country is sick. i can't help but imagine how disturbing this movie was in the 80's before 'the last temptation of christ' or 'dogma' or 'el crimen del padre amaro'.  :o

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 06:33 PM »
Don't remember that film.  Who directed that?

It was directed by Maryo J. delos Reyes.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2003 at 06:34 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 01:09 AM »
Maryo J. is competent, but he needs a good script.

Maricel has had hard luck with film roles. Oh, she's enormously talented, much more than say Lorna T., but even Lorna T. gets the chance to act in one of the great film classics (uh, Moral, Manila By Night, Init sa Magdamag). Maricel has this and a few comedies with Bernal, I can't remember what she did with Brocka if any, and I only remember one film with O'Hara, the not very good To Mama With Love.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 05, 2003 at 10:41 AM »
There's another classic Bernal flick where Maricel is one of the ensemble cast...THE GRADUATES.

As the young lass who can't find a meaningful job but settle as a maid with degree.

See her face on the reunion scene at the end of the movie...really great artist!  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 06, 2003 at 02:37 AM »
But The Graduates isn't top level Bernal, tho I haven't seen a bad Bernal film other than Wating (Brocka, on the other hand, has quite a few--Cherry Blossoms, White Slavery, his last picture...).  Hinugot, much as I like it, might be second-tier Bernal, it's not as good as, say, Pagdating sa Dulo or Aliw or Himala or Manila By Night.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #48 on: Oct 06, 2003 at 07:23 AM »
Aliw -- what a great flick. Amy Austria really sizzled in this film. Too bad she never gets the kind of roles she once got in the 80's.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 06, 2003 at 02:58 PM »
I just rememberd his Sharp tvc. (he was endorsing their tv set right?)  Others who appeared in the Sharp spots were Romy Vitug and, of all people, our favorite  Ricky Lo!

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Ishmael Bernal
« Reply #50 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 04:14 AM »
I have a question about Manila By Night for you Bernal experts out there.

Now, I have seen mutilated versions of this movie:the one they show at PBC(now Cinema One) and an old videotape(Trigon,I think).The movie is reputably around 150 minutes long,and the most complete version that I have seen is from a video I bought regalfilms.com which runs for about 140 minutes(the entire movie didn't fit the tape!)  Is anyone familiar with the various incarnations of the movie and the difference between the mutilated versions and Bernal's "Directors Cut"? (SPOILERS)One scene in particular(included in the regal tape and not the shorter versions) that I have a question about is a montage that is shown right before the end of the movie wherein a narrator narrates the fate of our characters("William Martinez character went to join DARE","Charito Solis ch.went on to become a social worker","Rio Locsin ch. went on to become a waitress in a deaf and blind restaurant",etc).Is this scene part of Bernal's original cut of the movie?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 05:40 AM »
I have a question about Manila By Night for you Bernal experts out there.

Now, I have seen mutilated versions of this movie:the one they show at PBC(now Cinema One) and an old videotape(Trigon,I think).The movie is reputably around 150 minutes long,and the most complete version that I have seen is from a video I bought regalfilms.com which runs for about 140 minutes(the entire movie didn't fit the tape!)  Is anyone familiar with the various incarnations of the movie and the difference between the mutilated versions and Bernal's "Directors Cut"? (SPOILERS)One scene in particular(included in the regal tape and not the shorter versions) that I have a question about is a montage that is shown right before the end of the movie wherein a narrator narrates the fate of our characters("William Martinez character went to join DARE","Charito Solis ch.went on to become a social worker","Rio Locsin ch. went on to become a waitress in a deaf and blind restaurant",etc).Is this scene part of Bernal's original cut of the movie?

the scenes with the narrator you mentioned were additional scenes added to make the theatrical cut seem a little longer. due to mutilations made by the censors when it was first released in 1980 Manila by Night was re-titled City After Dark. the original director's version which Ricky Lee's Writer's Studio premiered at the CCP in 1987 (where i was one of the members) was the same print used in the trigon video version. the one from regal home video is a mixed version of the theatrical & director's cut. if you notice they still kept City After Dark as the films' title.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 10:35 PM »
Jojo is right...the Regal Home Video was the mixed version since there was a narration at the end where the characters ended.  :)

Too bad also that the Regal home video has no opening & closing credits.  :(

All the profanities & controversial scenes are all intact on that tape and the late Ishmael Bernal explained to us when he was given the tribute at Pelikula at LIpunan that it was censored again because of the narration shown during Cory's time. I think it was Morato the head of the MTRCB at that time.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2004 at 10:40 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 10:45 PM »
Jojo is right...the Regal Home Video was the mixed version since there was a narration at the end where the characters ended.

All the profanities & love scenes are all intact on that tape and the late Ishmael Bernal explained to us when he was given the tribute at Pelikula at LIpunan that it was censored again because of the narration shown during Cory's time. I think it was Morato the head of the MTRCB at that time.

Thanks Keating... I also got the chance to talk with Direk Ishmael Bernal during the Writer's Studio screening of Manila By Night and one of his biggest frustrations was the severe mutilation his film suffered in the hands of the censors. I remember watching City After Dark in the theaters and it was the only film in Philippine movie history with two pages of cuts & deletions printed on it's permit, you know the one posted at the box-office when you buy the tickets. I'm glad I was able to watch the complete version on the big screen. It's times like these that really make me ecstatic as a film buff.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 17, 2004 at 11:01 PM »
Censorship is another thing that makes Philippine Cinema another 3rd world country...Jojo.

Other Asian countries are leaving us behind when it comes to movies.

I missed those Bernal classics, those witty lines, social relevance flicks that he did during those times.

When I saw Ishma, I know he'll have a heart problem...during the screening of Manila By Night....he looks fat.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 03:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

The best Filipino films from the second golden age(74-86) make me wish that I grew up during the martial law era.I have always wanted  to see most of these films theatrically.

I'll probably do a lo-tech custom edit of Manila By Night with my VCR.The posibility of a decent DVD release(director's cut with deleted scenes+optional english subtitles)seems pretty slim.The only title from 74-86 that has received a DVD release is Gallaga's(excellent) Scorpio Nights.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 06:08 AM »
Censorship is another thing that makes Philippine Cinema another 3rd world country...Jojo.

Other Asian countries are leaving us behind when it comes to movies.

I missed those Bernal classics, those witty lines, social relevance flicks that he did during those times.

When I saw Ishma, I know he'll have a heart problem...during the screening of Manila By Night....he looks fat.

I agree with you on this one Keating. Censorship is the poison that's killing the already dying Filipino Film Industry. I have several favorite Bernal flicks... Salawahan, Menor de Edad, Broken Marriage, Bakit May Pag-Ibig Pa?, Working Girls, The Graduates, Galawgaw, Aliw even Mister Mo, Lover Boy Ko & Lumapit, Lumayo ang Umaga which of course also includes his classic films Nunal sa Tubig, Manila By Night & Himala.

I had the opportunity of working with Direk Ishmael Bernal in our show Kayo Ang Humatol over ABS-CBN & hosted by Korina Sanchez during the late 80's. I must say that it was quite an experience.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 11:55 AM »

I agree with you on this one Keating. Censorship is the poison that's killing the already dying Filipino Film Industry. I have several favorite Bernal flicks... Salawahan, Menor de Edad, Broken Marriage, Bakit May Pag-Ibig Pa?, Working Girls, The Graduates, Galawgaw, Aliw even Mister Mo, Lover Boy Ko & Lumapit, Lumayo ang Umaga which of course also includes his classic films Nunal sa Tubig, Manila By Night & Himala.

I had the opportunity of working with Direk Ishmael Bernal in our show Kayo Ang Humatol over ABS-CBN & hosted by Korina Sanchez during the late 80's. I must say that it was quite an experience.

That was quite a nice collection...Jojo.

I'm looking for THE GRADUATES but my friends in the U.S. can't find it anymore sa mga Tatak Filipino stores doon. The last Bernal flicks that my best friend sent to me was CITY AFTER DARK & RELASYON. But I prefer BROKEN MARRIAGE over Relasyon.

Ishmael is for the elitist type while Lino is for the masses. He is a cono director if you ask me.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 05:57 PM »

That was quite a nice collection...Jojo.

I'm looking for THE GRADUATES but my friends in the U.S. can't find it anymore sa mga Tatak Filipino stores doon. The last Bernal flicks that my best friend sent to me was CITY AFTER DARK & RELASYON. But I prefer BROKEN MARRIAGE over Relasyon.

Ishmael is for the elitist type while Lino is for the masses. He is a cono director if you ask me.

Same here... I think Bernal was a better filmmaker than Brocka in terms of his ability to shift gears in the kind of films he made. Bernal could do an extremely funny tongue in cheek comedy like Working Girls, Salawahan & Menor de Edad to komiks material such as Pinulot Ka Lang sa Lupa & Nagbabagang Luha to musicals Good Morning Sunshine & experimental dramas like Bakit May Pag-Ibig Pa? I'm not saying that Brocka wasn't a good director he's one of filmdom's greatest... but it's hit or miss most of the time. Brocka's later movies were not on par with his earlier works.
During my conversation with Direk Ishma as he was fondly called or Nanay by people close to him, I asked him what was his biggest frustration, he then answered not being able to complete the filming of the movie Hustisya with Nora Aunor & Christopher de Leon for Regal Films. It was supposed to be their follow-up movie to the highy successful Himala. As a self-confessed Noranian I told him that's also my biggest disappointment for I had the opportunity to read Ricky Lee's unfinished screenplay of Hustisya.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 07:26 PM »
Lino Brocka is one of the greatest Filipino filmmakers that we had and I agree with you Jojo that he has also his hit & miss.

Maybe Noel could expound about that matter.

HUSTISYA was it the one that Ricky Lee didn't finished because he was mental blocked?

Maybe the superstar could do BULAG...this is dusting already on the shelves of Ricky Lee.  :)

And I know the funny casting about that movie... Mother Lily will tell Ricky..."tayo gawa uli BULAG"... ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2004 at 07:34 PM by keating »