Author Topic: Ishmael Bernal  (Read 23054 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ishmael Bernal
« Reply #60 on: Apr 18, 2004 at 08:42 PM »
Lino Brocka is one of the greatest Filipino filmmakers that we had and I agree with you Jojo that he has also his hit & miss.

Maybe Noel could expound about that matter.

HUSTISYA was it the one that Ricky Lee didn't finished because he was mental blocked?

Maybe the superstar could do BULAG...this is dusting already on the shelves of Ricky Lee.  :)

yeah. Hustisya was the script that Ricky Lee wasn't able to finish because he had mental block.

as for Bulag... I read the script & the main character was supposed to a blind sixteen or eighteen year old girl. you're right Mother Lily was supposed to make the movie with Janice de Belen in the title role, co-starring Susan Roces as the social worker & Nida Blanca as the nun. it was supposed to be directed by Mel Chionglo. it's a shame that the project didn't materialize.

And I know the funny casting about that movie... Mother Lily will tell Ricky..."tayo gawa uli BULAG"... ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #61 on: Apr 25, 2004 at 03:19 PM »
Wow, Lino vs. Ishma? That's several articles, maybe a book's worth of comparisons.

Off the top of my head, and please don't hold me to these statements, Bernal was the subtler, more understated storyteller. Yes, he was more comfortable with the middle to upper classes, mainly in the city, but he could do the occasional great film set amongst the poor (Himala, Nunal sa Tubig), he was more versatile (he did horror (Frigidyer), action, even a Superman movie). He could ring down all kinds of emotional nuances, and he was a great comic director, and you know what they say about comedy vs. tragedy.

In comparison, Brocka had a limited range, was only subtle up to a point, and I don't think he's ever made a quiet movie in his career (the closest could be Ina Ka ng Anak Mo--significantly, set in the middle classes). But his best works represent the very heart of the Filipino, I'd say. Bernal was the sophisticated internationalist, Brocka the homegrown storyteller.

That said...the two of them were worthless on action movies and noirish action, the, uh, 'proving ground' of truly visual filmmakers. Know who's better? Tikoy Aguiluz, Celso Ad. Castillo, Mario O'Hara.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Apr 25, 2004 at 06:37 PM »
Bernal also directed a great action movie called Boy Kodyak with Bembol Roco. It's not as dark & stylish as Bagong Hari but the movie is up there among his best. I cannot recall an action film that Brocka made... it was probably unforgettable. Bernal was also very good in making experimental movies such as the Nora Aunor-Christopher de Leon episode of Bakit May Pag-Ibig Pa the mood reminded me so much of Woody Allen's Interiors. What's interesting about this film is Celso Ad Castillo directed the other episode with Alone Alegre & Romeo Vasquez. One can actually compare the work of these two geniuses. It's a very rare film indeed.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Apr 26, 2004 at 11:25 AM »
I'd like to see that omnibus. Bernal and Ad Castillo, eh? Interesting.

You've heard of the connection between Boy Kodyak and Hollywood, didn't you?

Lino did a few--Hot Property, which wasn't very good, Angela Markado, which was better than I expected (in terms of performance and story, but the visual flash a true noir needs is still missing). I'd say Lino's best noir would be Maynila sa Kuko and Insiang, and in both he had to depend on great cinematographers (Mike de Leon, Carding Baltazar), and both aren't true noir--more social-realist films with noir trappings. And his editing sense is no good.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Apr 26, 2004 at 07:30 PM »
We have a thread on Lino & Ishma about one of their best works...Maynila sa kuko ng Liwanag vs. Manila By Night.

Both films blew me away...Lino's Cain at Abel had some action sequences on the later part of the movie.

BTW...Noel...MIke De Leon also has no action flick to his credit.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2004 at 07:50 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 27, 2004 at 02:23 AM »
I'd like to see that omnibus. Bernal and Ad Castillo, eh? Interesting.

You've heard of the connection between Boy Kodyak and Hollywood, didn't you?

Lino did a few--Hot Property, which wasn't very good, Angela Markado, which was better than I expected (in terms of performance and story, but the visual flash a true noir needs is still missing). I'd say Lino's best noir would be Maynila sa Kuko and Insiang, and in both he had to depend on great cinematographers (Mike de Leon, Carding Baltazar), and both aren't true noir--more social-realist films with noir trappings. And his editing sense is no good.

you do? i can send it together with the other one.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Apr 27, 2004 at 07:36 AM »
Mike has no obvious action film (tho Batch 81 has action sequences--not great but better than Brocka's) but you can see his editing is surgically precise--the first requirement for a great action director.

Jo, would you? Thanks!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jun 27, 2004 at 08:56 PM »
I read on newspaper many years ago that Ishma was always looking for happiness according to one of his closest friends in the industry, Marilou Diaz Abaya.

That search for happiness will stretch even they are eating or dining outside, like for instance he will say...could you give me happiness for desert?

Friendship of the two dated back to 1980 after Marilou gained recognition at the MMFF thru BRUTAL.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 02, 2005 at 11:24 AM »
Marilou Diaz Abaya on Ishmael Bernal

"It was important for me to get out of my class, my middle class, which I thought was stifling. And this desire to escape from it was pushed by Ishmael Bernal who introduced me to a universe which I was forbidden to enter all my life by the nuns, by the priests."

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 04:48 PM »
Ah, yes...from the premier issue of the defunct Pelilkula Film Journal

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:45 PM »
Gallaga on Bernal:

"The first time we met, it was love at first sight"  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:47 PM »
Gallaga on Bernal:

:o ;D

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 09:24 AM »
Bernal, Brocka, Gallaga....

No doubt they are good local directors with pretty much fair films on their credit and they are gays.   
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 01:15 PM »
Gallaga on Bernal:

Got your pm RMN. I was just kidding regarding the old man. Hey I know he's straight.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 01:51 PM »
Anybody here seen Aliw? I hear it's pretty good.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 02:04 PM »
It's plenty good. Multicharacter, multistory film with a strong sense of irony. The guy playing Amy Austria's sugar daddy was a friend of mine--lost contact with him since.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #76 on: Mar 04, 2005 at 07:48 PM »
Loved Aliw. Great performance from Austria. I also loved how Lorna Tolentino's character was fleshed out.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 10:03 PM »
Saw the late Ishma during the screening of MANILA BY NIGHT hosted by Mowelfund Film Institute at Shangrila Cinema. He was seated two seats apart from us......and so sorry to know that he would join the Creator on that fateful year......

He's great in orchestrating big scenes.....the crowd atmosphere captured immensely in his movies.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2005 at 09:32 PM »
Ishmael Bernal on MILAGROS by Marilou Diaz Abaya

"it's a masterpiece, but you can't direct it kasi hindi mo pa iyan naintindihan....."

Offline bad_movie

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jun 05, 2005 at 03:21 PM »
A VERY GOOD DIRECTOR....  :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jun 28, 2005 at 08:06 PM »
Joel Torre on THE GRADUATES by Ishmael Bernal

"I always get along with my directors. Here Bernal explained that the movie was a social satire. He said, you have to read between the lines. But first, let's take some mescaline!"

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Nov 26, 2005 at 03:46 PM »
MITCH VALDEZ on CITY AFTER DARK

"Improvisational acting. No script, no dialogue! Bernal just take, take and take!"

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Dec 08, 2006 at 02:44 PM »
Revisiting HINUGOT SA LANGIT last night, I appreciate it even more and Bernal not only attacked the consequences of abortion thru the character of Maricel Soriano also the bonding and friendship that stood between her and Amy Austria.

Soriano comforting Austria in the hospital is one of the best moments in the film.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2006 at 02:47 PM by keating »

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re:Ishmael Bernal
« Reply #83 on: Apr 06, 2007 at 09:56 PM »
Maryo J. is competent, but he needs a good script.

Maricel has had hard luck with film roles. Oh, she's enormously talented, much more than say Lorna T., but even Lorna T. gets the chance to act in one of the great film classics (uh, Moral, Manila By Night, Init sa Magdamag). Maricel has this and a few comedies with Bernal, I can't remember what she did with Brocka if any, and I only remember one film with O'Hara, the not very good To Mama With Love.

She did "MOTHER DEAR" with BROCKA. A 1982 Mother's Day Movie Offering of Regal Films.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Apr 09, 2007 at 10:29 PM »
Has anyone seen Bernal's TISOY? Written by Nonoy Marcelo with Boyet de Leon on the lead, it features some interesting cast from the late Moody Diaz, Bert "tawa" Marcelo, Lorli Villanueva, Charo Santos and Jay Ilagan.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 02:25 PM »
Not to mention Nora Aunor.

I liked it. Some of the jokes would fly past most audiences, but I thought it was wonderful play. Should do the round of film festivals, they might appreciate it more...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Apr 10, 2007 at 07:05 PM »
I've only seen three comedies from Bernal, GALAWGAW, PABLING & WORKING GIRLS. In those films, the high literacy of comic timing is still there.

Thanks for the info, Noel. I'll put TISOY on my watch lists.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 01:07 PM »
I've always thought most of Bernal's films are comedies, including Manila By Night, Salawahan (great film!), and Aliw.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Apr 11, 2007 at 09:04 PM »
Which films by Bernal are available in DVD, and any news on what might be made available in that format?

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 06:53 AM »
Which films by Bernal are available in DVD, and any news on what might be made available in that format?

As far as I know, the only Ishmael Bernal films availbale in DVD are MANILA BY NIGHT (1980), PAHIRAM NG ISANG UMAGA (1989), and RELASYON (1982).