Author Topic: bitrate display  (Read 906 times)

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
bitrate display
« on: Oct 01, 2009 at 01:49 AM »
Hi,

can anyone help me with bitrate numbers here? My confusion started this way:

I tried to compare PQ of the movie tears of the sun in mkv file played through egreat M34, the bit rate showed video 20mbps and up and audio of 1.5mbps. i played same movie with a original bd in a ps3,the video was 30mbps and audio of 3mbps. I now played a copy in a "burned" blu ray disc, the video was 5-6mbps and audio of 448kbps.

Pardon the ignorance but is it normal to get different bitrates? Its really obvious that the original was the best overall. The thing is the burned bd had obvious better PQ than the mkv file although as mentioned the mkv file was streaming bigger rates. Im just perplexed with the digits shown. For overall clarity, are the bitrate digits a good reference??

Im not quite sure where to post this so please inform me or move this topic as required if its in the wrong place.

Offline vp_ortiz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: bitrate display
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2009 at 04:19 AM »
Bitrate really differs but it should have an average. From what I know, the original BD itself shows the real average bitrate of the film encoded in HD. From the way you compared the 3 copies, both the mkv and the BD resemble a decent HD bitrate. However, I may be sure that the 'burned' copy you mentioned is a DVD copied from a BD, since those are the normal bitrates (both audio and video) you would find on a DVD.

Hope I made sense. Experts, patulong!
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009 at 04:23 AM by vp_ortiz »