Author Topic: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player  (Read 113850 times)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player
« Reply #90 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 07:04 PM »
Ayos - Quest Logic pala ang nagbebenta.........5min away from the house lang sila ;D
Bukas daw ang arrival ng units kaso limited stocks & 70% of their stocks naka -reserve na :o

bilis ah. wd ka na ba sir?  ;D

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 07:04 PM »
From MidnightWatcher, posting on the Xtreamer Official Forum
Check out the message thread at:
http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5161&sid=8dfec1cf2e324702127f6a28bb0e3089

I had the WDTV Live two weeks ago. It would not play the WMA Pro audio on some of the WMV files I had. Some of the files it would not even play at all.

The Xtreamer plays everything I have, and is even working on getting CSS licensing to play encrypted DVDs from an external drive.

PQ seemed to be pretty close on both. The only advantage that the WDTV Live had over the Xtreamer is that it was quieter. The Xtreamer has a passive solution available now however, which is quite nice.

ME: "WDTV is quieter" refers to its fan-less design

Offline kolokoys

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • http://lumangmaynila.multiply.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 07:19 PM »
hmmmm... Quest Logic price for the WDTV live is PHP6,650...tapos VAT Exclusive....so plus PHP798 (6650x12%).......tama po ba..which would total to PHP7440+??? :o,,, sana at PHP6K plus na lang sya....

correct me if im wrong...

Offline leftover

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #93 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 08:12 PM »
hmmmm... Quest Logic price for the WDTV live is PHP6,650...tapos VAT Exclusive....so plus PHP798 (6650x12%).......tama po ba..which would total to PHP7440+??? :o,,, sana at PHP6K plus na lang sya....

Final price is 6650 php but per seller, if  a group buy of 10 person is facilitated he can offer it at 6600 php. Or baka mas mura pa pag marami bibili...

Offline andlisten

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Go ahead funk
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #94 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 08:56 PM »
Kay annot P 6900.00  baka pwede rin i group buy   ::)

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=104363.0

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2009 at 08:57 PM by andlisten »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #95 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 11:18 PM »
uy bakit ganun...

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Nov 03, 2009 at 11:48 PM »

I believe its 6,650 with an acknowledgment receipt only, but if you need an OR then add 12%. Yes, warranty is honored with the acknowledgment receipt from the seller/shop.

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
WD TV Live vs. Xtreamer
« Reply #97 on: Nov 04, 2009 at 04:29 PM »
If you're interested in a comparison between the WD TV Live and the Xtreamer,
please check out the following message in the Media Player Comparison thread:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=81377.msg1085992#msg1085992

Offline JunkTV

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Nov 05, 2009 at 12:57 AM »
i finally got to to see this thing in action after setting it up this evening , i bought it last monday from a shop in greenhills.  it is a lot better than the first wdtv.  better remote response, minimal color banding in movies, problematic mkvs in the orig wdtv played flawlessly this time.  for now these are the things i noticed ;D

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #99 on: Nov 05, 2009 at 06:21 AM »
i finally got to to see this thing in action after setting it up this evening , i bought it last monday from a shop in greenhills.  it is a lot better than the first wdtv.  better remote response, minimal color banding in movies, problematic mkvs in the orig wdtv played flawlessly this time.  for now these are the things i noticed ;D

Great! What shop in GH and for how much?  :)

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Nov 05, 2009 at 12:09 PM »
have a chance to test it last night, all the 1080p's i tried played smoothly..

even the 42gb transformers 2 and 41gb pirates 3 bdrip plays smoothly.. problem is the subtitle doesnt display yet..

picture is superb and remote response is better compared to wdtv1..

runs cool as well..

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Nov 07, 2009 at 09:06 PM »
WDTV LIVE now available in eHome

I finally got to meet Richie of eHome today in the HiFi show - he seems so enthusiastic about the player ;D
Do ask him about it when you inquire ;)

Offline elmerdlc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Nov 07, 2009 at 09:17 PM »
have a chance to test it last night, all the 1080p's i tried played smoothly..

even the 42gb transformers 2 and 41gb pirates 3 bdrip plays smoothly.. problem is the subtitle doesnt display yet..

picture is superb and remote response is better compared to wdtv1..

runs cool as well..

am excited to try the unit!.... did you get to resolve the subtitle issue? could it be just a few specific HD movies? or all movies for that matter?
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2009 at 09:25 PM by elmerdlc »

Offline PajHERoY

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Nov 07, 2009 at 09:48 PM »
the updated ehome pricelist dated 11/6/9:

wdtv live 6,900

egreat egr1 5,950
egreat  egm34a 7,500

Offline jecr3

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Nov 07, 2009 at 09:58 PM »

got a WDTV Live awhile ago. all i can say is wow. tested wireless lan with an N connection. smooth youtube streaming. tomorrow i'll test video streaming naman. :)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Nov 07, 2009 at 10:11 PM »
WDTV LIVE now available in eHome

I finally got to meet Richie of eHome today in the HiFi show - he seems so enthusiastic about the player ;D
Do ask him about it when you inquire ;)

So should he be excited!  ;D

Got a WD TV Live from eHome in Greenhills, thanks Richie!

It's definitely much faster and better than the original WD TV. I had no problems setting it up, even the network (wired) settings. The YouTube feature worked right from the bat. It even has a Preview Option for viewing files: filenames on the left and a preview pane upper right, basic file details below--similar to the Realtek preview screen (in HD Pro etc) but better looking and the filename list accommodates more characters per line. Remote was very responsive and its small size and supposed lack of buttons (compared with other players) didn't bother me because the navigation buttons were enough to speed me through the menus or a movie itself.

The Animatrix and Die Hard 3 videos that were treated as invalid files on the HD Pro ran without a problem from the USB drive. So did Meet the Robinsons. Will do further testing on other files in the coming days, including watching movies streamed over the network.

Plus the external USB drives attached to it are visible on the network, allowing me to access them on my mac and my HD Pro!  :)

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2009 at 10:16 PM by gaol »

Offline migsev

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Nov 08, 2009 at 01:58 AM »

It's definitely much faster and better than the original WD TV. I had no problems setting it up, even the network (wired) settings. The YouTube feature worked right from the bat. It even has a Preview Option for viewing files: filenames on the left and a preview pane upper right, basic file details below--similar to the Realtek preview screen (in HD Pro etc) but better looking and the filename list accommodates more characters per line. Remote was very responsive and its small size and supposed lack of buttons (compared with other players) didn't bother me because the navigation buttons were enough to speed me through the menus or a movie itself.

The Animatrix and Die Hard 3 videos that were treated as invalid files on the HD Pro ran without a problem from the USB drive. So did Meet the Robinsons. Will do further testing on other files in the coming days, including watching movies streamed over the network.

Plus the external USB drives attached to it are visible on the network, allowing me to access them on my mac and my HD Pro!  :)

Does that mean you can copy files to them wirelessly? How much did you get it it for?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Nov 08, 2009 at 08:32 AM »
Does that mean you can copy files to them wirelessly? How much did you get it it for?

I would say yes: My WDTV Live conection is currently via cat 5 cable to my wifi-G 10/100 wifi router. But I was able to copy a file from my MacBook Pro connected to my network via wifi. I might experiment with a USB wifi adaptor but since my setup is near my router, I'd rather go wired because it's faster and frees up my 2 USB ports for external drives.  :)

I got it from eHome which currently sells it at P6900. Abacus and another store in VMall currently sells it for P7400. Cheers!  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2009 at 08:42 AM by gaol »

Offline kelz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Nov 08, 2009 at 10:18 AM »
there are also sellers in tipidpc. This goes for 6600. gaol, meron na ito dts downmix?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Nov 08, 2009 at 10:51 AM »
there are also sellers in tipidpc. This goes for 6600. gaol, meron na ito dts downmix?

Yes it has. I have not tested that as I connect to a receiver via Optical Cable.

Offline leftover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 05:31 PM »

How about the video quality, as compared to your other nmts? I find egreat m34a has a grainier pq compared to the wdtv v1...hopefully pq of this live is the same or better than its predecessor.

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #111 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 05:43 PM »
How about the video quality, as compared to your other nmts? I find egreat m34a has a grainier pq compared to the wdtv v1...hopefully pq of this live is the same or better than its predecessor.

Hmmm, I find my m34a (flashed w/ PCH-A110 firmware) video/audio wise better than WDTV.  But now I find the WDTV2 quality the same as my m34a.

Offline leftover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 06:46 PM »
Hmmm, I find my m34a (flashed w/ PCH-A110 firmware) video/audio wise better than WDTV.  But now I find the WDTV2 quality the same as my m34a.

thanks, that confirms the notion that the firmware is really the difference maker, because i never bother to use other firmware that is compatible with my m34a other than the ones released by egreat. I have my wdtv v1 before and i can say pq is superb and i am really leaning towards buying the live due to its superior technical specs.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 07:00 PM »
thanks, that confirms the notion that the firmware is really the difference maker, because i never bother to use other firmware that is compatible with my m34a other than the ones released by egreat. I have my wdtv v1 before and i can say pq is superb and i am really leaning towards buying the live due to its superior technical specs.

I preferred the PQ of the WDTV 1 over my HD Pro, but used the HD Pro more because it was more responsive and had less/no issues with files that were problematic with the WDTV.

To me, the WD TV Live has better PQ than both WDTV 1 and HD Pro, somehow the image looks more compelling.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 07:02 PM »
What about playability of 1080p mkvs?

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #115 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 07:36 PM »
Looks like there are only a few who bought this since being available last week...

I'll be getting one soon para dumami naman...  ;D

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 07:58 PM »
I preferred the PQ of the WDTV 1 over my HD Pro, but used the HD Pro more because it was more responsive and had less/no issues with files that were problematic with the WDTV.

To me, the WD TV Live has better PQ than both WDTV 1 and HD Pro, somehow the image looks more compelling.

The PQ of the wdtv 1 was the best for me than any other media player out there. I tried almost everything but wdtv still tops them all.

With what you said......I'm gonna get one this week!

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 07:59 PM »
Looks like there are only a few who bought this since being available last week...

I'll be getting one soon para dumami naman...  ;D

oo nga madalang.. just sold 5 units pa lang.. a bit pricey kasi.. but it plays well the 1080p's that cannot be played in wdtv1..

Offline leftover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:09 PM »

based on what ive read so far, even the hard to play 1080p mkvs with high frame rate have no problems playing with the live, this i have yet to confirm. Most of the problems are network related(per avsforum) so if you plan to stream all your 1080 files through network either wired or not, expect some sort of headache lalo na at hindi ka tech savvy.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:20 PM »

So far so good at least with some files in my collection, for example:

Spiderman 1 (10GB):
- WDTV 1: unplayable, pixellated and jerked a lot
- HD Pro: no more pixellation but it still jerked a bit, much less but noticeable
- WDTV Live: no pixellation, smooth and no jerkiness  ;D

Indiana Jones 4 (14-15GB):
- WDTV 1: lots of pixellation, jerkiness
- HD Pro: smooth but still had brief pixellation at just before 8 min mark
- WDTV 2: the pixellation at just before the 8 min mark was still there

Meet the Robinsons (6.5GB)
- WDTV 1: didn't get to test
- HD Pro: lots of green pixellation
- WDTV 2: no pixellation problem

Chicken Little (4.37GB)
- WDTV 1: unplayable, pixellated and jerked a lot
- HD Pro: no more pixellation but it still jerked a bit, much less but noticeable
- WDTV Live: no pixellation, smooth and no jerkiness  ;D

Tested the Godfather 20+GB files briefly, no apparent problems. Also tested Quantum of Solace 28GB mts file briefly, no problems also.

So in terms of playability I would rank the WDTV Live as definitely number 1, HD Pro a good number 2 (although it also had problems with 2 files that ran well with both WD TVs), and the WDTV 1 a poor number 3.

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2009 at 08:33 PM by gaol »