Author Topic: Xtreamer eTRAYz - Full NAS, Web Server, Downloading, Sharing and much more  (Read 142672 times)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
The eTRAYz is connected to the router by cable, and the wi-fi antenna at the same time?

yes, eric. because if i did not connect it through ethernet, and i turn on the etrayz, i can go into the etrayz web. or is there a way. thanks.

what i want to do is the etrayz is connected to the network through wifi, but my xtreamer is connected to the etrayz via ethernet for media, so that streaming will be more stable. at the same time with this set up, i can have both etrayz and xtreamer on my av rack.

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
yes, eric. because if i did not connect it through ethernet, and i turn on the etrayz, i can go into the etrayz web. or is there a way. thanks.

what i want to do is the etrayz is connected to the network through wifi, but my xtreamer is connected to the etrayz via ethernet for media, so that streaming will be more stable. at the same time with this set up, i can have both etrayz and xtreamer on my av rack.

I believe the eTRAYz network driver can address either the ethernet port or the USB Wi-fi N Antenna, but not both simultaneously.

Personally, I would use Ethernet cable from the route to the eTRAYz; this will provide the best throughput to all networked devices in your home (not only the Xtreamer).

You're an advanced user - I doubt you'll be happy using wi-fi to hook up either the Xtreamer or the eTRAYz to your LAN.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
My initial impressions -

I've setup my eTrayz and upgraded to 1.04, but still in the discovering stage on what functions i can decide to use ... following are what i have done working/impressions so far -

1. PC file sharing works excellently - i have all my PC's on wireless-N, and the TVIX and eTrayz are wired (Cat6) on Gigabit Ethernet to my Linksys router
2. Video streaming to my TVIX works flawlessly like having an internal disk - Gigabit Ethernet works
3. Speed of eDownloader and rTorrent are the same as when i'm using my PC, but eDownloader is not at par with Jdownloader as advertised (no where near the features of Jdownloader) ... torrent downloader is passable

One main thing that I can say is that this device is not for non-techie ... you would need some knowledge on Unix/Linux to do the tweaks ... this is probably the reason why there were a lot of complaints in the eTrayz forum ... it's looking good so far on my end - still have a lot of research to make the other functions work however
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Knightro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Since rTorrent has a similar interface/UI with utorrent, its better for me :) Haven't tried transmission yet
here's the step by step guide i followed for the installation of rTorrent
http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=8997

I can't understand how to setup rtorrent.  Please help.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
I tried setting up the etrayz earlier.  I connected the etrayz to my router via LAN and when I ran the CD to install it, my PC cannot detect the etrayz.  I then tried connecting the PC directly to the etrayz via LAN cable and luckily it was detected.  So I tried setting it up but my problem is when there is a need to access the net such as the email client, I dunno how to go about this coz the present setup doesnt have internet access.I tried reconnecting the etrayz to my router again but again it cannot be detected. Any help? TIA

Offline seymorebutts

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
I tried setting up the etrayz earlier.  I connected the etrayz to my router via LAN and when I ran the CD to install it, my PC cannot detect the etrayz.  I then tried connecting the PC directly to the etrayz via LAN cable and luckily it was detected.  So I tried setting it up but my problem is when there is a need to access the net such as the email client, I dunno how to go about this coz the present setup doesnt have internet access.I tried reconnecting the etrayz to my router again but again it cannot be detected. Any help? TIA

sir, set up with direct connection (etrayz-pc) but skip on the email client part. after rebooting the etrayz, connect it to the router and access it via http://etrayzipaddress:8080 on your pc, you should be at etrayz homepage and you can continue setting up the email client.

hth

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
i can access my etrayz already through the web. will now try to set up the xtreamer and see if streaming will work between the two.

i use dmz since it was the simpler than port forwarding. but i cant set up the email thing. once i put all my gmail account info, then send test mail. it always fails. any thoughts? tia!

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
i can access my etrayz already through the web. will now try to set up the xtreamer and see if streaming will work between the two.

i use dmz since it was the simpler than port forwarding. but i cant set up the email thing. once i put all my gmail account info, then send test mail. it always fails. any thoughts? tia!

something wierd happened. i turned off my modem, router and the etrayz, and when i turn them on. i cant connect to my etrayz! i was about to reformat the whole thing when even the set up cant detect my etrayz. i was about to panic when i notice the ip address that the set-up detected was not the same as the ip address originally assigned to the etrayz. i entered the new ip address into the browser and oila. i go connected. can someone explain to me what happened here? does it mean i cant shut down my router and modem or else it will keep assigning the etrayz with new ip address?

hope someone can explain this to me so it wont happen again.  :P

but at the same time, i was able to connect to the etrayz with the e-connector. pretty cool. and i have already set-up my xtreamer too. and it saw the etrayz right away. pretty neat. played a couple of short movie scenes, and the xtreamer streamed the scenes without stutters. all my movies are in 720p and my router is a 11g router. hope all movies will stream like i have encountered, then i think i have found my perfect combo!

Offline gunblade977

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
I can't understand how to setup rtorrent.  Please help.

what particular setup do you need help?
Forgot to add, i used Putty to ssh to the etrayz. heres the link
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Offline gunblade977

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
something wierd happened. i turned off my modem, router and the etrayz, and when i turn them on. i cant connect to my etrayz! i was about to reformat the whole thing when even the set up cant detect my etrayz. i was about to panic when i notice the ip address that the set-up detected was not the same as the ip address originally assigned to the etrayz. i entered the new ip address into the browser and oila. i go connected. can someone explain to me what happened here? does it mean i cant shut down my router and modem or else it will keep assigning the etrayz with new ip address?

hope someone can explain this to me so it wont happen again.  :P

but at the same time, i was able to connect to the etrayz with the e-connector. pretty cool. and i have already set-up my xtreamer too. and it saw the etrayz right away. pretty neat. played a couple of short movie scenes, and the xtreamer streamed the scenes without stutters. all my movies are in 720p and my router is a 11g router. hope all movies will stream like i have encountered, then i think i have found my perfect combo!

My guess is that since DHCP is it re-assigned another IP address to your Etrayz. You might opt to set Static DHCP if it is supported by the router(Static DHCP -Static DHCP is used to allow DHCP server to assign same IP to specific MAC address. ).

RIght now Im having stability issues with rtorrent, I finished downloading an 8GB file and upon playing the file is corrupted :( Haven't encountered this with my htpc.

Offline rgbautista

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Hi Guys,

Perhaps it's with my setup but I noticed that I when I watch HD movies, I always have momentary stops during playback when I select eTrayz as my source.  But when I use the NET source, I just login my ID in eTrayz and the playback is smooth.

I'm wonder if I should change my router to Gigabit N.  Right now I"m using a Router G with 100Mbps connection.

Any of you guys encountered this?
Denon AVR-1612, Anthony Audio, SVS, Xtreamer Pro

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
Hi Guys,

Perhaps it's with my setup but I noticed that I when I watch HD movies, I always have momentary stops during playback when I select eTrayz as my source.  But when I use the NET source, I just login my ID in eTrayz and the playback is smooth.

I'm wonder if I should change my router to Gigabit N.  Right now I"m using a Router G with 100Mbps connection.

Any of you guys encountered this?

11g router user. i use the etrayz as source. playback has been smooth for 3 movies already. although all ar 720p.

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Since rTorrent has a similar interface/UI with utorrent, its better for me :) Haven't tried transmission yet though. I have successfully added rtorrent in my etrayz and its way better than the built in e-torrent UI ;)

download speeds: Ony my PC I average 165kbps, using rtorrent(see pix) I also average the same.

e-torrent UI:

rtorrent UI:

here's the step by step guide i followed for the installation of rTorrent
http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=8997

Have you tried downloading from private trackers? Thanks
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline gunblade977

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Have you tried downloading from private trackers? Thanks

yups, both files on queue were from private trackers. Total speed for both is at par with my HTPC's own DL speed.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
yups, both files on queue were from private trackers. Total speed for both is at par with my HTPC's own DL speed.

Namamaximize ba niya ung speed ng ISP mo? Thinking of getting the xtreamer pro. Thanks
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline gunblade977

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Namamaximize ba niya ung speed ng ISP mo? Thinking of getting the xtreamer pro. Thanks

yup, the ISP speed is maximized. Although, meron pa ring prob sa pagdownload ng torrents. Yung unang torrent ay 4GB na  file, nung natapos madownload corrupted yung file(hindi playable). Yung pangalawa naman divided into multiple rar files. After matapos yung download, pagka unrar ko ok naman, nagplay sa htpc ko.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
yup, the ISP speed is maximized. Although, meron pa ring prob sa pagdownload ng torrents. Yung unang torrent ay 4GB na  file, nung natapos madownload corrupted yung file(hindi playable). Yung pangalawa naman divided into multiple rar files. After matapos yung download, pagka unrar ko ok naman, nagplay sa htpc ko.

Yun lang mahirap na corrupt but i think the 1 movie is originally pack with winrar like the 1 movie i have DL is pack with winrar. Ca you update me again if you encoutered such corrupt file when you finish downloading. I'm checking for the capabilities of etrayz to decide if i will get a torrent rig that will cost more than etrayz.

Gaano kalakas sa kuryente ang etrayz?
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2010 at 01:47 PM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline DYC

• Collector
  • Liked:
I got a v1.0.0 stable. Bummer.  :-[

my problem is when installing the cd the computer was able to detect the etryz.

after downloading the v1.0.4, I tried to reinstall it again but It cant be detected over the network. kaya hindi ko tuloy ma install.

It said sa manual that I can conenct it directly to the computer. Im not sure how. 've tried to connect it directly via USB. pero nothing happens. Parang wala lang.

Maybe someone can help me cause im not a techie guy. akala ko kasi simple lang itong etrayz plug and play lang parang external HD lang. medyo mahirap pala gamitin. please help para magamit ko na. :)

Offline trigo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Updating software on the e-TRAYz
« Reply #108 on: Mar 03, 2010 at 11:13 AM »
Software packages (e.g. Ver 1.0.3 and Ver 1.0.4) are available as
full-install packages (zip files) or as patch files (.bin).

A full-install package WILL WIPE OUT YOUR HARD DRIVE, so be
sure to back-up first if you want to perform a "clean install".

A patch file will upgrade your software package (and firmware,
if necessary) without erasing the content of your hard drives.

thanks for this.

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
[author=DYC link=topic=104057.msg1152103#msg1152103 date=1267578614]

I got a v1.0.0 stable. Bummer.  :-[
Not a bummer, DYC - that is the latest firmware version.

It's great that the e-TRAYz was detected.  Why is it a problem?

after downloading the v1.0.4, I tried to reinstall it again but It cant be detected over the network. kaya hindi ko tuloy ma install.
What did you download - the "full install" or the patch file to upgrade?  If you downloaded the 1.0.4 patch, there was a warning that said you should have v1.0.3 software installed on e-TRAYz before upgrading.  Am I correct in assuming that you didn't have v1.0.3 software installed first?

It said sa manual that I can conenct it directly to the computer. Im not sure how. 've tried to connect it directly via USB. pero nothing happens. Parang wala lang.
I haven't tried this - but did the manual say connect by USB or by Ethernet?  But don't bother trying.  It won't work if the e-TRAYz OS has been mangled.

Maybe someone can help me cause im not a techie guy. akala ko kasi simple lang itong etrayz plug and play lang parang external HD lang. medyo mahirap pala gamitin. please help para magamit ko na. :)
Setting up a NAS isn't a walk in the park.  Need to be patient, read the manual, pay attention to instructions and warnings while installing and browse the forums for additional insights on how best to proceed.

If you corrupted your e-TRAYz operating system due to a wrong update procedure, it can't be detected on the network.  Remove the drive in Bay A, format it using your PC (NTFS is ok) just to wipe out whatever is on it. Re-install it in the e-TRAYz.  Start installing from the CD again, as if you have a fresh HDD... it should be detected by the Installer now.  Why don't you do a "clean install" by downloading the full ver 1.0.4 software package?  

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2010 at 01:13 PM by Bitstream »

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593

probable reason for not being able to detect is that it is by default set to dhcp, the ip address may have changed after the reset - you need to try other address

regarding direct PC connection, you need to connect it via LAN port, but you will be needing a cross-cable, not the cable that came with it
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline DYC

• Collector
  • Liked:
[author=DYC link=topic=104057.msg1152103#msg1152103 date=1267578614]

I got a v1.0.0 stable. Bummer.  :-[
Not a bummer, DYC - that is the latest firmware version.
Ah ok

It's great that the e-TRAYz was detected.  Why is it a problem?

What did you download - the "full install" or the patch file to upgrade?  If you downloaded the 1.0.4 patch, there was a warning that said you should have v1.0.3 software installed on e-TRAYz before upgrading.  Am I correct in assuming that you didn't have v1.0.3 software installed first?
I download the full installation.

I haven't tried this - but did the manual say connect by USB or by Ethernet?  But don't bother trying.  It won't work if the e-TRAYz OS has been mangled.

Setting up a NAS isn't a walk in the park.  Need to be patient, read the manual, pay attention to instructions and warnings while installing and browse the forums for additional insights on how best to proceed.
ok, will keep on trying. :)

If you corrupted your e-TRAYz operating system due to a wrong update procedure, it can't be detected on the network.  Remove the drive in Bay A, format it using your PC (NTFS is ok) just to wipe out whatever is on it. Re-install it in the e-TRAYz.  Start installing from the CD again, as if you have a fresh HDD... it should be detected by the Installer now.  Why don't you do a "clean install" by downloading the full ver 1.0.4 software package?  

Hope this helps

Offline seymorebutts

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
probable reason for not being able to detect is that it is by default set to dhcp, the ip address may have changed after the reset - you need to try other address

regarding direct PC connection, you need to connect it via LAN port, but you will be needing a cross-cable, not the cable that came with it

i was able to set it up with a straight cable  ;D

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
got the etrayz and xtreamer this morning Eric. Thanks for the great service! :)
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline gunblade977

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Yun lang mahirap na corrupt but i think the 1 movie is originally pack with winrar like the 1 movie i have DL is pack with winrar. Ca you update me again if you encoutered such corrupt file when you finish downloading. I'm checking for the capabilities of etrayz to decide if i will get a torrent rig that will cost more than etrayz.

Gaano kalakas sa kuryente ang etrayz?

I am still encountering corrupted downloads. I think the torrent client prematurely finishes the download or it can not handle sudden disconnects from my ISP :D.

As for the power consumption,I'll try to test tonight, manghihiram pa ko ng watt meter :D

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:

wow, brader. congrats!

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:

You're welcome. Have fun setting it up ... I think getting there is half the fun  :D

Offline raman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Finally was able to setup my eTrayz, after several days of frustration.  Very fulfilling indeed.

Anyway, just to share my experience.  My original problem was the eTrayz was not detected on the network (connected to router) and even on directly connecting it to the computer.

To diagnose the problem, I followed the steps below:

1.  Remove the HDD from the eTrayz and boot the device.  eTrayz was detected successfully in the network.  However, when I install the HDD and ran the installation program.  IT was a no Go. 

2.  Reformatted the HDD to NTFS in my windows machine and reinstalled it back to the eTrayz.  Back to the original problem wheren the eTrayz was not successfully detected.

3.  The third step that I did was to go to ramdisk mode (according to xtreamer forum), by simultaneously hitting the reset and on button. 

Finally, both the eTrayz and HDD was detected  and I was able to successfully finish my installation.

Hope this help others. :D

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
eTRAYz This and That Guides
« Reply #118 on: Mar 05, 2010 at 09:20 AM »
e-TRAYz owners, please check out this useful thread:

http://forum.xtreamer.net/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=8905

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
hi guys, i having trouble moving specific files into folders. moving whole folders into main folders on the root directory presents no problem. but once i start to move specific files or folders to sub folders, it wont allow it. from the e-connector it says i cant do it, on etrayz web, using the move function, i cant choose the sub folder i want the file or folder to be moved to.

any help / thoughts.  :D

EDIT:

got a work around on this, but i have to move the said subfolders to the root directory before i can move the said files and folder into it.

which is a hassle. i hope i am doing something wrong or else, they should add this feature, or maybe drag and drop...
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2010 at 08:22 AM by iiinas »