Author Topic: Pixar's Up  (Read 13570 times)

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pixar's Up
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2009 at 05:43 PM »
Got mine at P600 (SM has a promo for P150 peso off for every P750 Viva dvd if you buy P500 worth of items from the department store. Be sure to get the one with the yellow border as it has a popup packaging in addition to the activity book and badges.

i also bought a copy just for the casing. baka kasi pag nag-sale na, la na 'yung ganyang casing.  :)
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM »
Eh ganun talaga eh.

These days php750 is too much for a DVD IMO

just wait 4-6 months  ;D

Exactly. It pays to be patient.   That was my motto before.  

It's really amazing how the studios can never really learn and still insist on the same silly business model that had severely crippled the CD industry.  
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2009 at 12:41 PM by av_phile1 »

Online techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
Exactly. It pays to be patient.   That was my motto before.  

It's really amazing how the studios can never really learn and still insist on the same silly business model that had severely crippled the CD industry.  
Viva is no longer discounting as quickly as they had before.  And with Christmas promotional tieup with SM (P150 off for every 500 Department store purchase), it seems unlikely we will see any discounting anytime soon (at least before yearend).
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 05:40 PM »
Viva is no longer discounting as quickly as they had before.  And with Christmas promotional tieup with SM (P150 off for every 500 Department store purchase), it seems unlikely we will see any discounting anytime soon (at least before yearend).

I expect them to start discounting on selected events on the 1st quarter. I can afford to be patient with titles that i don't really want but not with the ones i liked. That's why i am still waiting for Viva to discount Valkyrie.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 05:59 PM »

Well I'm not really expecting them to go on sale this holiday, not for titles they just released like this one.  Expect that to come 3-4 months later.   

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 08:43 PM »
Got mine at P600 (SM has a promo for P150 peso off for every P750 Viva dvd if you buy P500 worth of items from the department store. Be sure to get the one with the yellow border as it has a popup packaging in addition to the activity book and badges.

Whoa!!  :o Nice packaging

Viva has been coming up with really good looking packagings lately. (Prince Caspian, Bolt etc.)
If only they could change the case to Amaray and improve print quality.

Offline reinerr

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM »
mas bongga pa sa slipcover ng enchanted  :o

hmmm.. I'm planning to import the blu/dvd combo pero parang naholdback ako nito  :-\

double dip kaya?  ;D

argh ewan

Offline Pillow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Nov 23, 2009 at 11:40 PM »
Anybody else noticed if their copy was "foolscreen"? Packaging indicated widescreen version but when I played the movie, it was "foolscreen".

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #38 on: Nov 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM »
Anybody else noticed if their copy was "foolscreen"? Packaging indicated widescreen version but when I played the movie, it was "foolscreen".

Have you checked your DVD player's settings, Pillow? Just because that scenario sounds almost impossible. We had a similar issue here a few years ago when a member complained the R3 copy he saw of Disney's The Little Mermaid was fullscreen, and it was subsequently proven otherwise.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2009 at 12:08 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Nov 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM »
Thanks for pointing this out

Although it has been several years since I've change settings on my dvd player, it has been consistently playing widescreen movies without changing configuration. I'll try to check it again when I get home later.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Nov 24, 2009 at 12:36 AM »
Please let us know.

I'd be very surprised and would actually file a formal letter of complaint with the parent company if this suddenly was the first ever Pixar-Disney DVD title that Viva messed with. Their record for Disney R3 DVDs has been impeccable so far, save for a few regional restriction issues on the special features of their earlier Southeast Asian DVD releases.

Oh, and of course there were also the early Viva-Disney spelling errors on the packaging, but those haven't happened in a couple of years.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2009 at 12:37 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #41 on: Nov 24, 2009 at 08:08 AM »

It's not fullscreen. Just checked now and the movie is in WIDESCREEN. The aspect ratio (1.78:1) may have thrown you off since that is the perfect ratio for widescreen 16:9 televisions, which means you'll rarely see any of the black bars on widescreen TVs.

On standard 4:3 televisions (like mine), the black bars are there. On my 16:10 LCD monitor, the black bars are also there.

Please let us know.

I'd be very surprised and would actually file a formal letter of complaint with the parent company if this suddenly was the first ever Pixar-Disney DVD title that Viva messed with. Their record for Disney R3 DVDs has been impeccable so far, save for a few regional restriction issues on the special features of their earlier Southeast Asian DVD releases.

Oh, and of course there were also the early Viva-Disney spelling errors on the packaging, but those haven't happened in a couple of years.

I did the exact same thing with C-Interactive a couple of years ago. The thing was, they didn't have any contact or correspondence info anywhere ;D and the number printed on one of their DVDs is not in service  ;D ;D ;D It didn't occur to me to go look for their rep at Astro--which I should have probably done in the first place.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2009 at 08:11 AM by Dan »

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 12:46 AM »
Was able to verify that my dvd player was configured to play video at 16:9 ratio. I even tried playing Wolverine dvd and it played the movie in widescreen (with black bars on top and bottom of the screen.)

When I tried UP again, it covered the entire screen (4:3) and no black bars were visible. Anybody experiencing the same thing?

My player is an old Philips DVD. Not that I think its with the player as it plays other widescreen movies without issues.

Online techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM »
Was able to verify that my dvd player was configured to play video at 16:9 ratio. I even tried playing Wolverine dvd and it played the movie in widescreen (with black bars on top and bottom of the screen.)

When I tried UP again, it covered the entire screen (4:3) and no black bars were visible. Anybody experiencing the same thing?

My player is an old Philips DVD. Not that I think its with the player as it plays other widescreen movies without issues.
If your TV is 4:3, then your Player should be set at 4:3 as well.  The 16:9 Ratio setting is for widescreen TV.  

Wolverine played with black bars, because the aspect ratio is probably wider than 1.78:1.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM by techdude »

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 01:38 AM »
Never though of it that way since this is the first time I encountered such an issue. I'll try it out again later.

Offline utopian828

• Trade Count: (+143)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #45 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 06:16 AM »
It is widescreen. Black bars may appear on both 4:3 and 16:9 TV sets because the aspect ratio used is "wider" than the usual 16:9 that is common to TV Series and some other films hence compensation on the height resulting to black bars when played.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 09:08 AM »
Was able to verify that my dvd player was configured to play video at 16:9 ratio.

When I tried UP again, it covered the entire screen (4:3) and no black bars were visible.

As techdude pointed out, that's exactly what's wrong. The aspect ratio of the DVD player should be set to conform with the TV set, not with the DVD being played.  This same thing is also illustrated in The Little Mermaid thread that I linked to above.

Try it, you'll see.  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2009 at 09:19 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #47 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 03:06 PM »
As techdude pointed out, that's exactly what's wrong. The aspect ratio of the DVD player should be set to conform with the TV set, not with the DVD being played.  This same thing is also illustrated in The Little Mermaid thread that I linked to above.

Try it, you'll see.  :)
ei thanks for the info bro, this maybe useful someday :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM »
Weird. Never did really bother with the settings as previous movies played fine without it being tweaked for the past, oh I dont know, 4-5 years?! But it did played the movie in widescreen after changing the video settings in the dvd player. Thanks again, guys!

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM »
OT

Btw, the re-issued old titles from Viva's Fox releases have poor cover printings, almost faded quality.  >:(  
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #50 on: Nov 26, 2009 at 01:12 AM »
does anyone know where i can buy the special edition set with an activity book and pins? can't seem to find one now.. thanks   :)

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 03, 2009 at 03:29 AM »
^^ I saw 3 copies of the pop-up cover in Astro SM Makati last Sunday.

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #52 on: Dec 03, 2009 at 08:16 PM »
ok thanks, finally got one at astro mega.. ;) there are still copies at astro mega and odyssey mega..

Offline eli71724

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 14, 2010 at 06:54 PM »
guys, any idea kung san makakabili nito?wala na kasi ako makita ngayon. nagtingin na ako sa astro and odyssey sm marikina, astro makati, odyssey gateway, etc, wala ako makita. san pa kaya merun nito?maraming salamat!

Offline Othan

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM »
try to contact anya, meron pa sya na BR-DVD 4-discs combo, http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,91309.0.html

;D

Offline eli71724

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 15, 2010 at 08:07 AM »
try to contact anya, meron pa sya na BR-DVD 4-discs combo, http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,91309.0.html

;D
salamat sir, kaso wala pa akong bd player, and restricted ako sa mga r3 discs for now.:(

Offline DVD_lover

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 03:28 PM »
guys, any idea kung san makakabili nito?wala na kasi ako makita ngayon. nagtingin na ako sa astro and odyssey sm marikina, astro makati, odyssey gateway, etc, wala ako makita. san pa kaya merun nito?maraming salamat!

Try mo sa SM North, baka meron pa ata...(Astro The Block, Odyssey The Block, VideoCity Main Mall, Astro Main Mall, SM Record Bar Main Mall, Odyssey Annex tsaka Astro Annex).

Offline eli71724

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 06:56 PM »
went to astro and odyssey mega, wala din sila dvd puro vcd lang.huhu merun pa kaya nito? ang ganda nung me pop up cover, merun pa rin kaya nun?

Online techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 07:09 PM »
went to astro and odyssey mega, wala din sila dvd puro vcd lang.huhu merun pa kaya nito? ang ganda nung me pop up cover, merun pa rin kaya nun?
Very Limited lang iyung popup UP.  One or two week after release, ubos na iyun...  Hindi ko na nga naabutan, and I usually buy Disney Animation DVD on release. 

As for finding the DVD, go to a less frequented videoshop like the Odyssey Gateway or Video City (is it still open?) at LRT2/MRT connecting station...

Or just wait, sooner or later, Viva will release it again... probably at 375 or 299, san slipcase, of course...

How much ba budget, are you willing to pay the full 750 price?  If yes, you might as well hunt in PinoyDVD's High-Def marketplace, I think I see a couple selling for something like 1000 or 1200 (It's Bluray-DVD Combo pack).

Offline eli71724

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 17, 2010 at 09:06 PM »
if it's blu-ray dvd combo then its probably r1 sir? im restricted to r3 discs kasi e, most of my collections are r3. sayang, me nakita na kasi ako noon last two moths ata, diko pa nabili, i think sa mega yun. anyway hahanap na lang ako ulit somewhere dito sa south.ty sir :)