Author Topic: LG 32LH70YR Fan Boys!  (Read 207041 times)

Offline Ppoooh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LG 32LH70YR Fan Boys!
« Reply #180 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM »
I will post my manufacturing date later... and FW version...
by the way
How do I check my FW version?

Pls. refer to page #5 of this thread. Don't forget the USB Flash Drive or it won't work.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 12:21 PM »
hello all. with some issues you have been encountering with this LG model, do you think LF20 is a better alternative? or LF20 has also some shares of this kind of issues.

thanks

Sorry but can't answer your question as I don't have the LF20 model. I believe there are other threads related to LF20. The closest better model is the LH50 but they don't come in at 32". Still I do prefer the LH70 (but preferably w/o those issues that we encountered).

Offline jarod

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM »
I will post my manufacturing date later... and FW version...
by the way
How do I check my FW version?

based from previous post:

Insert a Flash Disk on the USB port then hit the Menu Button on the remote. On the Menu selection screen highlight the OPTION menu then press the number "7" on the remote seven times.

Offline icarusf3ll

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 03:23 PM »
i was able to talk to joel canoy this morning and he says they will have to report the issue to lg in korea and get back to me. he says there are already 3 of us (i assume lawin and ppoooh) who've reported the issue and he would like to have at least 5.

i believe iammaki also has a fw3.15/august09 unit so if he can just confirm the first issue and report to mr. canoy it would help further our cause. i would pretty much be content with a firmware update if it is possible, as i've become more attached to this one day after day:]

seriously, i hope they give us an answer soon. it sucks to have a faulty (albeit sexy) piece of newly acquired appliance.

Offline gspec

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Dec 22, 2009 at 09:43 PM »
san pa kaya meron 32LH70?

Offline iammaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 01:33 AM »
i was able to talk to joel canoy this morning and he says they will have to report the issue to lg in korea and get back to me. he says there are already 3 of us (i assume lawin and ppoooh) who've reported the issue and he would like to have at least 5.

i believe iammaki also has a fw3.15/august09 unit so if he can just confirm the first issue and report to mr. canoy it would help further our cause. i would pretty much be content with a firmware update if it is possible, as i've become more attached to this one day after day:]

seriously, i hope they give us an answer soon. it sucks to have a faulty (albeit sexy) piece of newly acquired appliance.

issue 1 does not occur on my unit. Test it with tv on and player via hdmi1 on, turned of player first and encountered no signal. But controls on my remote still works. I pressed the input button to just select TV to get out of hdm1 input. Tested it again but this time after turning player off, I turned tv off. Blinking of screen occurs but I can still use the buttons of my remote. Pressed input button to just get out of hdm1 input.

Only issue i encountered was the expert setting glitch.

I will try to report to joel canoy wednesday.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 06:25 AM »
issue 1 does not occur on my unit. Test it with tv on and player via hdmi1 on, turned of player first and encountered no signal. But controls on my remote still works. I pressed the input button to just select TV to get out of hdm1 input. Tested it again but this time after turning player off, I turned tv off. Blinking of screen occurs but I can still use the buttons of my remote. Pressed input button to just get out of hdm1 input.

Only issue i encountered was the expert setting glitch.

Hi iammaki,

May I know what Picture Mode settings you were using on HDMI1 at that time. I apologize if I sound imposing. TIA.

By the way, an LG Technician is scheduled to come to my place either today or tomorrow.

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 08:58 AM »
By the way, an LG Technician is scheduled to come to my place either today or tomorrow.

Hi Ppoooh... do let us know the results of his visit/diagnostic. TIA!

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 09:22 AM »
hi guys! i bought mine 2 weeks ago and have encountered 2 problems so far:

1. display flickers and then turns blank after you turn on the set (power light turns white) and no longer responds to remote control inputs (i.e. can't change inputs or access menu). this happens when i turn it off at the AV2 input after playing on the ps2. this has happened 3 or 4 times already but not sure exactly what causes it. the only way to get out of this is to immediately press input and change input to TV just before it flickers. but when you turn it off again from AV2, the problem reoccurs. the only fix i've found so far is to switch to demo mode and then back to home use.

thanks in advance!

I did not also encountered this issue on my unit since i have it and no any kind of issues encountered so far. :). I think not all august 2009 batch of this TV has issues since i haven't encounter any issues with my unit.

Manufacturing month August 2009.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009 at 10:08 AM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline iammaki

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 09:24 AM »
Hi iammaki,

May I know what Picture Mode settings you were using on HDMI1 at that time. I apologize if I sound imposing. TIA.

Picture mode is normal. No adjustment done at that settings. I'll try to test again to verify results. I've done it twice already but still can't replicate issue.

Offline jcads

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 11:00 AM »
Picture mode is normal. No adjustment done at that settings. I'll try to test again to verify results. I've done it twice already but still can't replicate issue.

Same here, so far I haven't notice any issue after all...

Date Manufactured : MAY 2009
FW 3.015

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM »

Hi ianmaki (and xrampage also),

It is very important when trying to simulate the issues that the Picture Modes to be tested are these 2 (Natural & Sport). As the issue#1 does come out only on these 2 modes.

As for the other modes: Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game, Expert1, & Expert2, the issue#1 does not happen. The TV would operate just like it normally would (w/ "No Signal" message).

By the way, there is no "Normal" Picture Mode setting. You might be referring to "Standard" or default "Vivid" mode.

Hope that you could do further testing as indicated if you want further confirmation on your set. TIA as always.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 11:09 AM »
Same here, so far I haven't notice any issue after all...

Date Manufactured : MAY 2009
FW 3.015

Yes, I believe your unit is not affected by this issue because of diifferent Firmware Version and Manufacture Date. Thanks for the info.

Offline ChrisTracker

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM »
to all LG 32 LH70YR users:
they say this LCD supports 120Hz. I buy this because of that feature, but now I cannot maximize the refresh rate even upto 100Hz.. I tried switching to 85 Hz but my PC shows an error telling me that the LCD is not supported with that feature. Is this LCD compatible with PC games? Does this model really supports 120Hz? or is just true motion?
thanks in advance!

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM »
they say this LCD supports 120Hz. I buy this because of that feature, but now I cannot maximize the refresh rate even upto 100Hz.. I tried switching to 85 Hz but my PC shows an error telling me that the LCD is not supported with that feature. Is this LCD compatible with PC games? Does this model really supports 120Hz? or is just true motion?
thanks in advance!

I think its only true motion and not the LCD's refresh rate.

Incidentally to other LG 32LH70YR users, whats the best way to test ( or source material to use) the true motion? I don't know if its my eyes as I cannot discern improvements over Off-Low-High setting, even when I put the DVD player in A-B repeat ( repeat a fast action scene over n over).

Offline vx2

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM »
Correct me if i'm wrong but from what I've "heard", 120-200hz on TVs aren't real. They're just filling in the frames and some other gimmick or tech that enable them to look smoother.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 06:14 PM »
thanks in advance!

I suppose that you are using the VGA (D-Sub 15-pin) connector to connect your PC to this TV. This is labeled RGB IN (PC) at the back of the TV. Pls. refer to page 36 of your LCD TV Owner's Manual. The table shows the maximum resolution/horizontal frequency (KHz)/vertical frequency (Hz). Do not set anything outside of those ranges as it will not work. There is nothing there related to 100Hz or 120Hz that you have raised. The TruMotion 120Hz is not applicable to PC input. In this case, the 2.4ms response time of the panel applies instead.

The TruMotion 120Hz is most likely applicable to movies (video in) on the other inputs. I have tested only using HDMI inputs and I do see it in action.

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 06:41 PM »
Hi ianmaki (and xrampage also),

It is very important when trying to simulate the issues that the Picture Modes to be tested are these 2 (Natural & Sport). As the issue#1 does come out only on these 2 modes.

As for the other modes: Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game, Expert1, & Expert2, the issue#1 does not happen. The TV would operate just like it normally would (w/ "No Signal" message).

By the way, there is no "Normal" Picture Mode setting. You might be referring to "Standard" or default "Vivid" mode.

Hope that you could do further testing as indicated if you want further confirmation on your set. TIA as always.

hi guys! i bought mine 2 weeks ago and have encountered 2 problems so far:

1. display flickers and then turns blank after you turn on the set (power light turns white) and no longer responds to remote control inputs (i.e. can't change inputs or access menu). this happens when i turn it off at the AV2 input after playing on the ps2. this has happened 3 or 4 times already but not sure exactly what causes it. the only way to get out of this is to immediately press input and change input to TV just before it flickers. but when you turn it off again from AV2, the problem reoccurs. the only fix i've found so far is to switch to demo mode and then back to home use.

thanks in advance!

I will test my unit when i came back home next week but so far my im satisfied with my unit since it delivers what i need and i only connect my HTPC via HDMI on my unit. :)
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009 at 07:14 PM by xrampage »
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 07:33 PM »

I will test my unit when i came back home next week but so far my im satisfied with my unit since it delivers what i need and i only connect my HTPC via HDMI on my unit. :)

Hi xrampage,

The easiest way for you to test the issue#1 (as per my steps on page #5 of this thread), is not to connect anything to the HDMI1 input port. That way, it should simulate your HDMI1 source player is turned off. Select HDMI1 input on your TV. And change 'Picture Mode" setting to "Natural" (or "Sport"), and press Menu again to turn off the displayed menu. Power off your TV & unplug (or power switch off under the unit) and let it sit for a while until the red lamp disappears. Then turn it back on and check the "HDMI1" input message as it flashes on the screen. If it flashed in 2 sets/sequences, and the "No Signal" message does not appear after around 45 seconds, then you should have the issue#1 that we have been discussing earlier. Repeat the "all power off/power on" procedure at least 2 more times just to confirm that your unit is not affected. Let us know your findings.

In case that you are affected and couldn't get back the control of your TV remote, plug back in your HDMI1 source and make sure that it is powered on (I suppose your HTPC in this case).

Might also be the reason why you are not encountering the issues previously, I guess that you didn't power off your HTPC before powering off your TV. This issue might not be important to you due to the nature of how you use your LCD TV. Thanks anyway if you do like to help us out with the testing.

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 07:56 PM »
thanks in advance!

The 120Hz is not "refresh rate", rather the maximum output frame rate of the TV.  Like all other 120Hz and above LCDs (including the Sony Bravia 240Hz high-end display), its refresh rate is normally 60Hz (i.e. 60 input frames per sec), but instead calculates the filler frames ("interpolates") to achieve 120 frames per sec, using TruMotion.  But this TruMotion is disabled for VGA input, so I would suggest trying digital connection via HDMI if your video cards allows, coz at least you can enable TruMotion.  So effectively you have 120Hz displayed, although none of the interpolation implementations are perfect (neither is Sony's MotionFlow or Samsung's MoviePlus) and so occasionally you might see glitches (tears, artifacts, etc) on screen, but those are too minor to distract gaming with smooth fps.  :)

Currently, even BluRay outputs max of 60 fps if I'm not mistaken, so maybe in the future when 120Hz video signals become norm, 120Hz TVs will start accepting 120Hz inputs.  Until then, interpolation is our best bet.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009 at 09:16 PM by Arnel Enero »
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 08:06 PM »
Incidentally to other LG 32LH70YR users, whats the best way to test ( or source material to use) the true motion? I don't know if its my eyes as I cannot discern improvements over Off-Low-High setting, even when I put the DVD player in A-B repeat ( repeat a fast action scene over n over).

I think TruMotion is very noticeable when your video source is of high resolution (thereby clean images). Either 720p or 1080p video sources should do. Since anything lower than those resolution would introduce some kind of pixelation (to some degree). Maybe the reason why the effect of TruMotion is not noticeable in your case.

Should you have the 720p or 1080p videos, TruMotion is most noticeable when the end credits roll (white text on black background). Go to that portion of the video and try changing the TruMotion = OFF/LOW/HIGH settings. You will definitely notice the differences. Your viewing distance from the TV might also have some bearing. You may sit closer to the TV to observe this.

While on action sequences of the movie material, TruMotion is not noticeable on fast/very fast movements. You might notice TruMotion on panning of the video or movement of some objects/persons on screen. But definitely not on all objects that moves. If you noticed absurd object movement (w/ pixelation/judder), it means that the TruMotion is set too high. You should lower your TruMotion setting for that movie material. There are some movies that are better with the TruMotion turned off. You should learn to experiment. But then your viewing distance might also be a factor here. Changing from 1080p/60 to 1080p/24 must also be considered as well for selecting the best viewing experience, should your HD media player support it. As the 1080p/24 setting on movies is closer to the original film material as what the director intended. I would usually turn off the TruMotion in this case.

All of these are based on my personal experiences with this LCD TV/HD Media Player/HD Movies. I have read on other forums that some people are used to the effects of TruMotion/Motionflow/or whatever they call it, and are not comfortable without it. As I am also used to smooth motion of a person walking in movies with the TruMotion set to Low.

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 08:23 PM »
I think its only true motion and not the LCD's refresh rate.

Like I mentioned above, TruMotion and 120Hz "refresh rate" is one and the same thing.

In my experience, it is best to test TruMotion using 24 fps signals from BluRay, particularly during horizontal panning, as well as fast paced actions.  It is also difficult for me to discern improvements using normal 30 fps DVD sources, even on fast action scenes.
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline jcads

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 08:58 PM »
Yes, I believe your unit is not affected by this issue because of diifferent Firmware Version and Manufacture Date. Thanks for the info.

Bro sorry my bad... After a series of testing*Boom* I experienced that glitch.

Here's my experience what I experienced...

After I watched a DVD I then turn off (Standby) the source (HT554), followed by turning off the 32LH70 and to my surprised when I turn ON the LCD a Message appeared on the upper left corner HDMI1 and then followed by a few FLICKER then it all turned black. During that black out I can no longer control it using the REMOTE, the only thing that is functioning is the "Power" button.

I bought my unit from SM Appliance Center, it's been less than a month do you think they will replace the unit?

I HOPE SO.....

Offline Nelo1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 09:16 PM »
Hi Jcads/Mga paps,

I just repeated what you hade done just now...
  -Watching Final Destination 4
  -Turned-off the HT904
  -Turned-off the LCD
  -Turned-on again the LCD using the remote

Offline Nelo1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 09:36 PM »
Hi Jcads/Mga paps,

-Turned-off the HT904
  -Turned-off the LCD
  -Result was theres a message HDMI at the upper right and a "no signal"
   is moving from the screen,remote can still function such as i press the input...
   FW Version is 3.15
   Manufacturing Date is September 2009,I will try to simulate the other activities and will give feedback,sorry for the other reply accidentally have press enter.
Merry Xmas to all!

Offline tambutsoo

• Collector
  • YO Wazzup :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM »
so far no issue here at all  btw pc monitor use (hdmi 2) and cable tv use only. as for picture setting standard/vivid lang ang gamit ko, hindi ko pa nasubukan ang expert 1 and 2 and no plan to check na baka ma dismaya lang ako hehehehehe

aug 2009 sa akin
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM by tambutsoo »

Offline jcads

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 10:27 PM »
Hi Jcads/Mga paps,

-Turned-off the HT904
  -Turned-off the LCD
  -Result was theres a message HDMI at the upper right and a "no signal"
   is moving from the screen,remote can still function such as i press the input...
   FW Version is 3.15
   Manufacturing Date is September 2009,I will try to simulate the other activities and will give feedback,sorry for the other reply accidentally have press enter.
Merry Xmas to all!

Bro if I were you try to reset the whole LCD first back to it's default setting, go to OPTION MENU

After RESET, plug your SOURCE HT904 to HDMI1 and then turn it ON.

On the LCD go to MENU and then VIDEO/DISPLAY setting change you video calibration to NATURAL (VIVID was the Default)

After setting the LCD, turn off the SOURCE (HT904) followed by turning off the LCD after a few second interval...

Next turn ON the LCD w/o turning the SOURCE... now see for yourself will flicker and turn out black or NOT.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 10:48 PM »
Bro sorry my bad... After a series of testing*Boom* I experienced that glitch.

Here's my experience what I experienced...

After I watched a DVD I then turn off (Standby) the source (HT554), followed by turning off the 32LH70 and to my surprised when I turn ON the LCD a Message appeared on the upper left corner HDMI1 and then followed by a few FLICKER then it all turned black. During that black out I can no longer control it using the REMOTE, the only thing that is functioning is the "Power" button.

I bought my unit from SM Appliance Center, it's been less than a month do you think they will replace the unit?

I HOPE SO.....

Hi jcads,

So even with Manufacture Date May 2009 and Firmware 3.15 ( I suppose you must have typo error last time that you indicated 3.015), does experience the same issue.

From what I tested previously, an April 2009 Manufacture Date unit didn't exhibit the issue#1. I don't know if you could find a new replacement unit with the old Manufacture Date. Since you already know how to test this issue, you can do the test on a replacement unit before making it final, if you are allowed to do so. Let me know what you can find.

Unless this is solvable by Firmware Upgrade. But be sure to call up LG Customer Hotline to lodge a case. Pls. refer to our previous posts and get in touch with Mr. Joel Canoy. We are collecting at least 5 cases as per LG Phils. But then, last I talk to Joel is that they are raising this to LG Korea. How true is I don't know yet. As I know that we have not reached 5 cases yet. So pls. do help us out in this regards. TIA.

Offline Ppoooh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 11:00 PM »
so far no issue here at all  btw pc monitor use (hdmi 2) and cable tv use only. as for picture setting standard/vivid lang ang gamit ko, hindi ko pa nasubukan ang expert 1 and 2 and no plan to check na baka ma dismaya lang ako hehehehehe

aug 2009 sa akin

I suppose you would want your unit repaired as well since I believe your unit is affected also. Specially that it is of Manufacture Date August 2009.

As for the encountered issue#1, it is not a permanent thing anyway, so not to worry if you want to test it. Need to just switch back to other Picture Modes and you won't be encountering the said issue again. Switching from HDMI1 to HDMI2 or to other inputs would also reset the said issue. This is why I call this an "Annoying Issue". It is up to you if you do or don't want to test. We just needed more users to report to LG Phils if they do encounter the said issue. That way, we can have them resolve this at the soonest time possible. Before our warranty expires.

Anyway, I am sure that there are many customers who bought this specific model. We'll just wait for them to discover this thread.

Offline Nelo1

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Dec 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM »
Hi Jcads,

Repeated the steps again one by one with all the picture mode and confirmed have encountered issue # 1
using natural and sport mode,the flickering did happen and dead remote.
Hopefully there will be a firmware upgrade solution.
Simulation Steps made was"
 -Turn-on HT904 with HDMI 1  and Turn-On LCD with picture mode vivid as the 1st setting.
 -Turn-off HT904 then turn-off the LCD,then turning on the LCD again Result is good.
 -Repeated it in all Picture Mode summary results are:
  Vivid       =No Flickering;Remote Functional
  Standard =No Flickering;Remote Functional
  Natural    =Flcikering;Remote Not-functional
  Cinema    =No Flickering;Remote Functional
  Sport      =Flcikering;Remote Not-functional
  Game      =No Flickering;Remote Functional
  Expert 1  =No Flickering;Remote Functional
  Expert 2  =No Flickering;Remote Functional
Hopefully theres a solution for all user of 32LH70YR will have a piece of mind. ;D