Author Topic: system planning 150k budget  (Read 3494 times)

Offline alaska boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
system planning 150k budget
« on: Nov 29, 2009 at 12:49 PM »
mga bossing, i'm planning on my system and my working budget is 100k to 150k. Basic setup lang muna, a pair of speakers (preferably floorstanding and B&W), amp and a sub (Rel?) plus cables. ano po marerecommend niyo na system?
thanks.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: system planning 150k budget
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 02:32 PM »
Peg your budget at 150k and you'll get far on a stereo set-up.  Are you planning to expand later on to multi-channel home video or end in a 2.1 set-up?  And how loud do you want them when listening?  What's your favorite music genre, rock, pop, jazz, claisscal?  What's your room size and is it acoustically treated to bring out the sound of your speakers?  Bear in mind that the sound coming to your ears is 50% from your room boundaries and reflecting surfaces.  Are you prepared to go separates? (i.e. separate pre-amp and power amp)

Have you visited and auditioned systems out there?  Suggest you to get exposed on what's available if you haven't already.  Since you've indicated your preference to B&W and REL, you must have heard them already.  Rotel or Classe amps should be a good match to B&W speakers, not that they are all affiliated under the same B&W Group of Companies, but Rotel is the official amp used in calibrating B&W speakers.  But that should not limit your choices though.  
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2009 at 08:15 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 02:45 PM »
Audio lang ba ito or audio and video?

A B&W floorstanding package would cost almost P100k and that's without a subwoofer. (600 series)
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2009 at 02:48 PM by blued888 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 04:01 PM »
That's right, but there are models less than 100T.  I recall seeing a CM floorstander pair tagged at 75T at Sound Dimension more than a year ago.   Unless they've upped their prices, you might still get one but I strongly suggest you reconsider your preference for floorstanders.  Since you will have a subwoofer, you won't need floorstanders, You'll get better value and better imaging on a a bookshelf for the same price.  Let the sub deliver the lows without having to worry about overlapping lows with a floorstander.  Which reminds me.  you need a preamp with a sub-out or at least 2 sets of line output. Most upscale preamps do.  I know that Acurus and Aragon preamps do.  Valve preamps are also great for your set-up.  If you plan on expanding to multi-channel, then a multichannel preamp from Rotel already has sub outs.  And they have digital processing if you use the digital coax or toslink out of a CD player. Actually a good low powered multichannel receiver with Pre-Outs can act as your preamp, cheaper besides.   NAD and Marantz enters my mind.

Going back to speakers, I recall seeing a B&W bookshelf in the 800 line costing less than 70T at makati cinema square ground level where they sell those pre-owned hifi stuiff.  But that was some years back.  If you're not squeamish about second hand speakers, check out that store.  High End gears are often well maintained as their wealthy owners know how to keep them in top shape.  See if you can budget your speaker pair at 30T, subwoofer at 40T and the balance for preamp/power amp.  For cables, don't let yourself be suckered into expensive cables that are just snake oils.  Just get decently priced well constructed cables, good quality gauge 12 for your speakers and sturdy RCA cables can be budgeted at 3T-5T extra, depending on the size of your listening area.  
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2009 at 04:12 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 04:05 PM »
For a pair pala yung budget, akala ko for 5.1. :)

Offline alaska boy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 05:00 PM »
actually, i'm new to this pa lang.don't have lots of experience pero i got to enjoy my cousin's system abroad composed of B&W,Rel and Denon. He's gone already kaya wala din ako mapagtanungan and it was passed into his son who has no idea how expensive yung system na yun and ginagamit niya lang sa video games. Actually, i'm into car audio pero getting frustrated na that's why i've decided to switch to home audio. Initially for audio lang muna and i listen mostly to Jazz and oldies music like Ella fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Pero there are plans in the future to expand to multi channel.I listen in moderate levels lang.

With that budget, so di na kaya magsub if ever na floorstanding ang kukunin ko? Will it sound good na ba kung wala muna ako sub? Or bookshelf na lang plus sub? As much as possible ayoko na din kasi mangyari nga upgrade ng upgrade as what's happening sa car audio. Well maintained pre-owned stuff are ok so, i'll take a look sa shops that carries them.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 06:26 PM »
From my experience, a good sub that really goes deep never fails to enhance your listening pleasure.  There's one fact that many seasoned audiophiles know and that is there's no single commercial floorstander in the market that can really go down deep enough to cover the low frequencies convincingly.  Just like in anything else, audio reproduction requires SPECIALIZATION.   The best speaker configuration is a bi-amplified set-up where low frequencies are amplified and propagated separately from the mids and highs.   One other reason is that the speaker placement for correct low frequency propagation is often diametrically opposed to getting excellent stereophonic imaging in the mids and highs.  Having them all in one box such as floorstander can only give a compromised sound propagation. You need your bass driver in a part of the room often positioned right smack against a wall to yield its best, but your mids and highs require another positioning that's a meter off the the wall to give you the best stereophonic imaging.  So you see the conflict there.  

In other words, if you have the money, and it seems you do, don't forego the sub. Even those who own a floorstander benefit from a good sub as well.  Get a good sub and a pair of bookshelf speakers on stands for a 2.1 confguration. I am not updated on how much a REL costs, but I think even a B&W 600 series sub can do the work.  Just make sure it's a sealed sub.  No matter what they say or what driving technology they use, a vented sub will never be as good as sealed sub for music purposes.  Then there are excellent bookshelf speakers out there that can start at around 20T per pair if not mistaken.  Audition as many as you can.  

From your 150T budget, you can have a fine 2.1 speaker set-up between 60T-80T.  

It's the remaining 70T for preamp and power amp that can be problematic, if you are looking to make it seminal enough for a future multichannel upgrade.  Because what I could think of are those Rotel surround processor/preamps that can already cost your entire budget.  Check out their prices at Sound Dimension for the RSP and RMB line, not so sure if they can fit in you budget,

A good surround sound processor that can handle the new HD sound tracks is a must if you want to future proof your investment for future multichannel sound.  The sound processor/preamp comprises the core of any AV system and the Rotel RSP series is just top on my mind. There may be other less expensive ones I'm not aware of.  

But many audiophiles are getting wise and instead of getting these standalone processor/preamps, they just get a good low powered AVR with full onboard digital processing features and just bypass their often mediocre power amps and use a Bryston or Aragon power amps.  Offhand I could think of a midprice NAD or Marantz AVR with multichannel Pre-Outs. The PRe-OUts are a must so you can use a more capable outboard power amps.  I think they cost half of a what  a Rotel RSP is and still do a competent job as a sound processor.  They will easily fit your 70T budget.  But with NAD, I think you'd be happy with its on board power amps.  An upgrade path that you can reserve later on is getting the outboard power amps, unless you're content with it.

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2009 at 06:27 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 06:59 PM »
Hi if you looking to set up a good system, I would suggest the following:

1) Polk audio - system 1 -top of the line
- RTi A9 - floorstanding
- RTi A3 - bookshelf
- CSi A6 - center
- Fxi A6 - bipole/ dipole surround
- DSW Mirco pro 4000 - top of the line 12 inch sub
- Marantz SR6004 - top of the line AV receiver

2) Polk Audio- system 2 -
- RTi A7 - floorstanding
- RTi A1 - bookshelf
- CSi A6 - center
- FXi A4 - bipole/ dipolr surround
- DSW Pro 600 - hi end 12 inch sub
- Marantz SR6003 - AV receiver

Send me a PM and I will quote you best prices.

Sanjay

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2009 at 07:33 PM »
actually, i'm new to this pa lang.don't have lots of experience pero i got to enjoy my cousin's system abroad composed of B&W,Rel and Denon. He's gone already kaya wala din ako mapagtanungan and it was passed into his son who has no idea how expensive yung system na yun and ginagamit niya lang sa video games. Actually, i'm into car audio pero getting frustrated na that's why i've decided to switch to home audio. Initially for audio lang muna and i listen mostly to Jazz and oldies music like Ella fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Pero there are plans in the future to expand to multi channel.I listen in moderate levels lang.

For the subwoofer, if you plan to do a home theater in the future, I would like to suggest SVS via MKC International.

With that budget, so di na kaya magsub if ever na floorstanding ang kukunin ko? Will it sound good na ba kung wala muna ako sub? Or bookshelf na lang plus sub? As much as possible ayoko na din kasi mangyari nga upgrade ng upgrade as what's happening sa car audio. Well maintained pre-owned stuff are ok so, i'll take a look sa shops that carries them.

For audio, some floorstanders can do a surprisingly good job for music but no matter what... You will always be missing something at the lower frequencies without a subwoofer.

If you really plan on making this a "one time, big time" purchase, then there is definitely no need to rush in buying the equipment. Take your time in auditioning as much speaker brands as you can because sonic characteristics will vary from one brand to another.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 08:28 AM »
bro,
visit at least 10 specialty audio shops within makati, ortigas, QC, pasig areas.
listening to at least 10 demo set ups using a common, very familiar CD or LP of yours.
from then, you have to decide which system you like best and start saving up for it.

just remember 3 (very x 4) important things:
-consider your room size and acoustics
-do not settle for anything less than your 1st pick.
-do not close any deal without home auditioning anything for at least a day.

sorry but there are no straight answers to your questions. we would be depriving you of listening and deciding it for yourself if we will do so.

just to share, ive had 8 speakers before settling for what i have now.
ive had 5 amps before settling for what i have now.
ive had 3 preamps before settling for what i have now.
ive had 3 CD players before settling for what i have now.
and my last purchases were the only ones with thorough home auditioning.

all this happened because i did not do what i have suggested that you do.
enjoy. hope this helps :)

enjoy the hobby.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline alaska boy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 05:52 PM »
thank you all for all the help. i won't be rushing this one. i believe that i have a lot to learn pa to pick the  system that suits me. a problem lang is that i live in Laguna so it's not so easy to just visit a showroom.

@Sanjay
I'll give you a call whenever i'm in Ortigas

I'll definitely enjoy this hobby, went to audition a friends modest system (Mordaunt Short/Marantz) and already got blown away how my CDs sounded. Of course i'm comparing it to car audio. I just realized that it would take the best system in car audio to match a good home audio system.

thanks again.

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 06:23 PM »
my suggestion:

rotel preamp-amp combo 51k  http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=105399.0
speakers b&w cm5 40-50k?
sub- svs pb-12nsd 42k
cd player -10k

not sure about the price of the cm5 and the cd player. pero malamang pasok sa budget mo. oh and don't forget room treatments :) lots of threads about that

Offline alaska boy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 07:23 PM »
about sa room nga pala it will only be placed sa living room, around 8mx10m. rough estimate. not sure pa about room treatments but i'll research on that. anyway, can't start the house construction until mid next year pa.
thanks, i'll consider your suggestion.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 10:27 PM »
about sa room nga pala it will only be placed sa living room, around 8mx10m. rough estimate. not sure pa about room treatments but i'll research on that. anyway, can't start the house construction until mid next year pa.

Are you sure your living room dimensions are 8m x 10m? That's a huge living room ... though for audio, a big room is much better than a small room.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM »
my suggestion:

rotel preamp-amp combo 51k  http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=105399.0
speakers b&w cm5 40-50k?
sub- svs pb-12nsd 42k
cd player -10k

not sure about the price of the cm5 and the cd player. pero malamang pasok sa budget mo. oh and don't forget room treatments :) lots of threads about that

medyo kapos ang 10k for a "decent" CDP. sayang naman ang magagandang speakers at amp. IMO. ;)
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline alaska boy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM »
Are you sure your living room dimensions are 8m x 10m? That's a huge living room ... though for audio, a big room is much better than a small room.

sorry, di ko talaga sure, just made an estimate from the lot size. so siguro nga less than 8m x 10m, the lot is not that big naman.

medyo kapos ang 10k for a "decent" CDP. sayang naman ang magagandang speakers at amp. IMO. ;)

actually, i'm planning to use muna my PS3 to maximize my budget for the more important parts of the system. will it do the job?

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 06:53 AM »
anyway, can't start the house construction until mid next year pa.

If you are building a new house, why don't you try to include a dedicated HT which would have the correct room dimensions (very important) and acoustic treatment? It's not that difficult and lots of members here could give you advice as you go along.

The room could have as much influence on the acoustic quality as the speakers. It's that important.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 07:23 AM »
Kung audio ang sole purpose, baka mas ok dedicated instead of an HT system... unless balak din gawin A/V in the future.

Tama sila, makinig ka ng madami para mabili mo yung gusto mong tunog. Bisita ka dito sa manila ng ilang weekends. Try to ask yung dealers for specific pairing ng source at amp (kung integrated man yan or pre/power), tapos subukan mo yourself. Most dealers won't hesitate to bring out the gear for you, and hook them up. Tapos magpakabit ka na ren ng iba ibang speakers para makapili ka ng magugustohan mo.

Try both towers and bookshelves + sub. Bigger towers can play as low as smaller subs, as long as you have enough power driving them... pero mas mahirap nga ipuwesto (and they don't get as loud, so don't expect LFE-like lows). If strong low bass is paramount to your music enjoyment, malamang you'd fall for a dedicated sub. If you'd be using a sub, preferred ang preamp with at 2 sets of preouts (for the power amp and the sub), or an integrated amp with preouts.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 12:12 PM »
thank you all for all the help. i won't be rushing this one. i believe that i have a lot to learn pa to pick the  system that suits me. a problem lang is that i live in Laguna so it's not so easy to just visit a showroom.

lucky for you bro. u dont need a showroom if you are settled in laguna. so many fellow hobbyist around town that you can visit to gain experience and new friends sharing the same passion.

-Allan
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 12:41 PM »

Hi, If you are still going to construct the house, why don't you consider Polk Audio's line of In wall/ In ceiling speakers. You can get the same sound quality as conventional floor standing and bookshelf speakers, but they will be built in to your walls and be completely invisible.

Check out the models on www.polkaudio.com

Offline alaska boy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2009 at 04:40 PM »
If you are building a new house, why don't you try to include a dedicated HT which would have the correct room dimensions (very important) and acoustic treatment? It's not that difficult and lots of members here could give you advice as you go along.

The room could have as much influence on the acoustic quality as the speakers. It's that important.
i don't think it's possible to have a dedicated room for HT. The size of the lot ain't that big. just about the size of the typical lots in the new villages in Laguna. it can be placed in a separate room but it has to move out if ever I'll have kids na. so for now i think it'll be in the living room or in a small family room upstairs.

lucky for you bro. u dont need a showroom if you are settled in laguna. so many fellow hobbyist around town that you can visit to gain experience and new friends sharing the same passion.

-Allan

thanks sir, it'll help me a lot to learn my way into this hobby.

Hi, If you are still going to construct the house, why don't you consider Polk Audio's line of In wall/ In ceiling speakers. You can get the same sound quality as conventional floor standing and bookshelf speakers, but they will be built in to your walls and be completely invisible.

Check out the models on www.polkaudio.com

thanks sir, i'll take a look at it. pero siguro for now, i want to be able to see my investment from time to time. if ever i'll be spending my hard earned money so siguro i want it to be seen din.hehe  ;D ;D

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 03:29 PM »
If your in Libis vicinity please visit our showroom at unit 3 and 4, 2/F Madison Square Bldg, Libis, QC. just across shopwise, between BPI and Metrobank. Tel 395-5115

You can also visit our site: www.audioamplified.com

You'll get your money's worth and more  :) :) :)

Cheers