Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (1 Disc - "Special Widescreen Edition")  (Read 3228 times)

Offline utopian828

• Trade Count: (+143)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Just got hold of this title today courtesy of StudioWorld/Magnavision for PhP 375.

Contrary to the slipcase and cover indicating that it is "Special Widescreen Edition", it is.....

FULLSCREEN. Same as previous release without the bonus disc.

Buyer beware.

StudioWorld/Magnavision, please be honest with your releases.

Offline hilikus_kiko

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm breaking the first rule of Fight Club.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What the? I also bought this, but haven't opened to check if it really is WS. That sucks if it's not...false advertising!

Offline hilikus_kiko

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • I'm breaking the first rule of Fight Club.
  • Liked:
It is FULLSCREEN! What's up with the "Special Widescreen Version" on the cover? That's not cool.

Offline Pillow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
The original R3 release was also "foolscreen", which is why I opted to get an R1 copy. Was quite surprised to see it recently re-released, this time labeled as Widescreen. Now we know its the same copy as the original release, just repackaged.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
In the US, false advertising or misleading claims is a violation of FTC rules and can be subject to civil and criminal prosecution.  Don't know about local laws.  But someone should start taking Maganvision to task for such blatant errors. 

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Probably honest mistake.  The back case still says fullscreen aspect ratio. I paused when I see that and didn't buy it.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline utopian828

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Probably honest mistake.  The back case still says fullscreen aspect ratio. I paused when I see that and didn't buy it.

I'd rather say careless (or don't care). If it was an oversight, it would've been yanked out of the shelves the week it came out. This has been available for months already.

Local packaging (slipcase & cover) but imported disc. I would assume the product was reviewed before being put on sale in the first place.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2009 at 09:57 AM by utopian828 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Being careless is no excuse for misleading the customer.  It's still punishable in the US.  Here, consumers can just go to hell.  Nobody wants to take the distributor to task so that things like this never happen again. Consumers don't mind either and just make do with the mislabeled item they get.  They can complain in forums like this, but that's the most they do.  Some even defend them by saying it might have been just an honest oversight.  Big business is really lucky with customers like that.   Only in this country. 

No wonder our consumer laws are a joke.  In the meantime, big companies and distributors can sing all the way to the bank with your money even if they misled you, deliberately or not.  It's like saying, buyers beware. If you got hoodwinked by sellers, it's your fault for not reading the fine prints.   

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
You should take it back to the store.

I've actually done that before. Talk to the manager and Magna rep, and tell them it being widescreen was the only reason you bought the disc. They should refund you. They once tried to give me store credit, and I said NO, I didn't want it, since it's false advertising so it should not count as an actual purchase I can only get credit for. They relented.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline utopian828

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Yup. Just did.

I made the mistake of buying from SM Dept. Store not only do they NOT REFUND, I had to explain the whole technicality of Magna's brouhaha four times from the sales lady up to the customer service representative.

One notable remark was... "Baka hindi lang kayo marunong mag set ng TV ninyo".  ;D

I hate to say this but... our dear Magna representative here in the group has always been active in telling us what they're selling but never responds to inquiries or complaints. such a shame.

In the meantime, I'm stuck with a P375 credit that I'll  be forced to spend on something that I never intend to in the first place.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
I hate to say this but... our dear Magna representative here in the group has always been active in telling us what they're selling but never responds to inquiries or complaints. such a shame.

Amen! You should re-post this in big bold red letters. Baka sakaling mapansin, mabasa at masagot nung taga-Magna.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Yup. Just did.

I made the mistake of buying from SM Dept. Store not only do they NOT REFUND, I had to explain the whole technicality of Magna's brouhaha four times from the sales lady up to the customer service representative.

One notable remark was... "Baka hindi lang kayo marunong mag set ng TV ninyo".  ;D

In the meantime, I'm stuck with a P375 credit that I'll  be forced to spend on something that I never intend to in the first place.

Tales like this never fail to unnerve and rile me up.  It's bad enough that they can't give you a refund, but the fact is there will be other customers like you who will fall prey to such misleading claims.  Giving you a credit means it's still a sale as far as they're accounting is concerned.  Consumerism in this country really sucks. 

P375 is nothing in this hobby.  But little things like this uncorrected will just go on until someone makes a sacrifice to bring this to the press.  I can't expect DTI to work in the consumer's favor because they are the agency tasked to protect trade and industry, not consumers.   And I can't recommend that these things be raised to your congressmen because they're more interested in pork barrels and getting re-elected.  There are members and administrators here who probably have a direct link to magnavision who can help you.  But it's more than just getting a refund, it's really about correcting a misleading claim. And they won't do that because it will cost a lot just to pull out their offending inventories and bring out new ones.  I don't mind being wrong here. 

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
Tales like this never fail to unnerve and rile me up.  It's bad enough that they can't give you a refund, but the fact is there will be other customers like you who will fall prey to such misleading claims.  Giving you a credit means it's still a sale as far as they're accounting is concerned.  Consumerism in this country really sucks.  

P375 is nothing in this hobby.  But little things like this uncorrected will just go on until someone makes a sacrifice to bring this to the press.  I can't expect DTI to work in the consumer's favor because they are the agency tasked to protect trade and industry, not consumers.   And I can't recommend that these things be raised to your congressmen because they're more interested in pork barrels and getting re-elected.  There are members and administrators here who probably have a direct link to magnavision who can help you.  But it's more than just getting a refund, it's really about correcting a misleading claim. And they won't do that because it will cost a lot just to pull out their offending inventories and bring out new ones.  I don't mind being wrong here.  

Well said sir, OT na ito but wanna share ;D..I really don't know why in this country its so hard to get a refund. I was at landmark makati one time and wanted to return a crib or stroller (for some reason I can't remember). But the supervisor will not let me return it. She said she will give me gift check. And get this!! >:( gift check daw for grocery use only and I have to use in one day (that same day). The amount of the crib or stroller was more than 10 thousand pesos. I really raised hell, fuming mad..Like how can I buy/finish 10 thousand bucks worth of grocery in one day. She ended up giving me a refund. The employee beside me whispered to me that you can get your refund, just insist on it. They will always ask for an exchange item first. I don't know about SM (but think it should be Magna)

Anyway its so pathetic, in the States its so easy to return an item. I don't know if its bec. businesses here just don't trust the consumers here in the Phils or what. Very sad talaga.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2009 at 08:21 PM by Moks007 »

Offline eckxs

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Collector
  • We run things, things don't run we.
  • Liked:
That is so not cool. I think it's not even imported as it says so on the front sticker.