Author Topic: Laurice Guillen's I LOVE YOU, GOODBYE  (Read 9419 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Laurice Guillen's I LOVE YOU, GOODBYE
« on: Dec 07, 2009 at 10:15 AM »
Saw the full trailer last night...quite impressive! Its from the woman who was banned by Armida Siguion-Reyna from the editing room of LVN Studios for SALOME, which poses the question...what is truth using as vehicle a crime of passion in a small town....her debut film KASAL tells of the uncertainties and last minute apprehensions that beleaguer a couple about to be wed, made waves from the critics... elevate the glossy komiks material KUNG MAHAWI MAN ANG ULAP to the highest level.

Laurice Guillen's I LOVE YOU, GOODBYE opens this coming Dec. 25.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2009 at 01:15 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Laurice Guillen's I LOVE YOU, GOODBYE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 10:32 AM »
Why was Guillen banned pre?

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2009 at 11:23 PM »
Another love team, teeny bopper love story? Never mind. What a way to do a comeback movie.

Offline allanmandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 07:23 AM »
Actually, this is a mature movie with young stars (with the exception of Gabby, of course).

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2009 at 06:08 PM »
The producer was trying to wrest control from her, in effect, that's why she was banned. Similar thing happened with Bilanggong Birhen.

Does it matter what the project is? I'd be interested in watching this. She may not be consistent, but I'm interested enough to at least follow, see if this is a failure or success...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2009 at 08:34 PM »
Why was Guillen banned pre?

There were many misunderstanding on the set which started on the scheduling problem on the set in Paracale, Camarines Norte up to the final battle between Ryan Cayabyab (Armida's choice) and Max Jocson (Laurice pick) for the musical score. Laurice cant compromise on the sked given by Armida and vice-versa.

Based on what I've read.....kawawa si Laurice. Armida was able to ram her throat to the max! Armida sent the personal security guard of Juan Ponce Enrile to guard the post-prod at the LVN studios.

I think Laurice was vindicated because when the case was elevated to Director's Guild.....two musical score was made for the film and SALOME harvested several Urian awards.

She might have missed with AMERICAN ADOBO but definitely I'm looking forward seeing this new project.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2009 at 08:43 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 06:33 AM »
Armida's choice was Ernani Cuenco, not Ryan Cayabyab...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2009 at 06:10 PM »
Ryan was the first choice but back out after he knew that Max Jocson was already offered for the project.

Armida was about to give also to Demet Velasquez or to anyone for the musical score just to remove Max Jocson as the first choice of Laurice. and yes in the end the project went to Ernani Cuenco.

Jojo what do you think of Guillen's KUNG AKOY IIWAN MO? Was it underrated?
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2009 at 08:37 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 07:42 AM »
Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo is one of Laurice's most technically accomplished film. Raquel Villavicencio's production design was greatly complemented by Rody Lacap's cinematography. The performances were also first rate. From Nora Aunor, in a role totally different from any other she's ever played to Christopher de Leon and even Rollie Quizon, never known for his acting has his moments in the film. All in all a well made drama with inspiring musical numbers as well. Nora's jazzed up version of the George Canseco classic, Saan Ako Nagkamali? has to be seen to be believed.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 10:05 AM »
I need to see The Dolzura Cortez Story again. I remember liking it, but that's years ago.

On the other hand, I remember Apoy sa Puso as being terrible.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM »
Didn't like The Dolzura Cortez Story - I felt that the movie made some concessions to accommodate Vilma Santos' own limitations and quirks, though I may be nitpicking.

Just saw the trailer of I Love You, Goodbye. And it brought me back to the topic X44 and I were discussing a few days ago, which is, Filipinos still don't know how to make a decent movie trailer. The whole plot was practically revealed in the trailer, which ran for, like, four minutes.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 11:53 AM »
The best trailer I ever saw was probably the one for The Shining.

Then there's the one Welles did for Citizen Kane. That was brilliant.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 01:17 PM »
The trailer for The Shining was really good.

I'll have to look for that Citizen Kane trailer.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 02:59 PM »
Just saw the trailer of I Love You, Goodbye. And it brought me back to the topic X44 and I were discussing a few days ago, which is, Filipinos still don't know how to make a decent movie trailer. The whole plot was practically revealed in the trailer, which ran for, like, four minutes.

Parang trailer ng Avatar. Alam mo na yung kwento.  ;D

I guess it's because most Filipinos want to be spoon-fed, while the local movie studios basically just want to show off.

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009 at 03:08 PM by allanmandy »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 05:20 PM »
Hitchcock made a lot of wonderful trailers. I think he directed most of them. Starred in 'em, too.

In fairness,  it's only the mainstream studio movies that show too much - -- and even Hollywood is guilty of that, except they manage to give away the plot in less time, sometimes just with the title and cast (hehe). Hollywood loves to recycle and Pinoys just love to eat the crap they serve.

Some of the Cinema One/Cinemalaya trailers are quite good. And the Independencia trailer was the last one I saw that was just flat-out terrific.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2009 at 02:13 PM by X44 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2009 at 08:38 PM »
Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo is one of Laurice's most technically accomplished film. Raquel Villavicencio's production design was greatly complemented by Rody Lacap's cinematography. The performances were also first rate. From Nora Aunor, in a role totally different from any other she's ever played to Christopher de Leon and even Rollie Quizon, never known for his acting has his moments in the film. All in all a well made drama with inspiring musical numbers as well. Nora's jazzed up version of the George Canseco classic, Saan Ako Nagkamali? has to be seen to be believed.

They say that most moviegoers was not able to identify with Nora on the film that's why it tank at the tills?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2009 at 05:07 PM »
Hitchcock's oh yeah--I loved the one he did for The Birds, North by Northwest--heck, all of em, I guess.

Trying to remember that Hollywood trailer that gave away everything. Actually showed a bit of the climax, Bleh. No, Hollywood is as guilty if not more so. I just stay away from trailers.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2009 at 08:34 PM »
A Serious Man was the last good trailer of an American movie. A tiny feat of editing and rhythm in and of itself.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2010 at 06:18 AM »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 10:44 AM »
Just saw I Love You Goodbye. It's an unbelievably bad movie. Laurice Guillen cannot salvage any of the brilliance she showed with her earlier films such as Kasal?, Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo, Salome, Init Sa Magdamag and Kung Mahawi Man Ang Ulap. She even borrowed the flashback sequences from Kasal ? and incorporated them into the plot of I Love You Goodbye which did not help to move the films' narrative forward. Even the scene where Gabby was showing Angelica their new home in Brentwood is similar to scene where Christopher de Leon took Hilda Koronel to the house that his father Johnny Wilson bought for them as a wedding present in Kasal? The film's ending was simply ridiculous. Such fare caters to moviegoers with teleserye mentality. When we saw it, the movie theater was filled with them although there's still hope when a group of friends seated behind us commented "ang pangit naman!"

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2010 at 11:40 PM »
Just saw I Love You Goodbye. It's an unbelievably bad movie. Laurice Guillen cannot salvage any of the brilliance she showed with her earlier films such as Kasal?, Kung Ako'y Iiwan Mo, Salome, Init Sa Magdamag and Kung Mahawi Man Ang Ulap. She even borrowed the flashback sequences from Kasal ? and incorporated them into the plot of I Love You Goodbye which did not help to move the films' narrative forward. Even the scene where Gabby was showing Angelica their new home in Brentwood is similar to scene where Christopher de Leon took Hilda Koronel to the house that his father Johnny Wilson bought for them as a wedding present in Kasal? The film's ending was simply ridiculous. Such fare caters to moviegoers with teleserye mentality. When we saw it, the movie theater was filled with them although there's still hope when a group of friends seated behind us commented "ang pangit naman!"

Gabby and Angelica, really?  Isn't she as old as KC?  So Laurice is losing her directorial touch?  Maybe she should return to acting instead.  She's a great actress!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2010 at 12:21 AM »
The age difference didn't bother me that much. Eddie Garcia has been paired with the likes of Vilma Santos and Lorna Tolentino while Vic Silayan was onscreen lover to Nora Aunor and Alma Moreno. Laurice has lost her directorial touch way back in the mid 80's when she was churning out overwrought melodramas such as Kapag Puso'y Sinugatan and  Kapag Langit Ang Humatol in the 90's. I agree that she's a wonderful actress but has been relegated to playing over the top supporting roles in telenovelas. Her villanous turn in Iisa Pa Lamang comes to mind and as the long suffering mother in Nagsimula Sa Puso.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM »
I thought she put out something thoughtful in American Adobo and Santa Santita. Haven't seen this, tho, and I know she can be inconsistent.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2010 at 07:05 PM »
Tanging Yaman I think is decent.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 09:10 AM »
The best thing about Tanging Yaman were Gloria Romero and Janet Arnaiz' perrformances.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 10:17 AM »
I was expecting so much from the film because it was from Laurice. Where's the vintage Guillen?! Was she dictated by the executives from Star Cinema?

I know that if she doesn't like a film to do she will resign from the project.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2010 at 01:01 PM »
I liked Johnny Delgado in Tanging Yaman. Had problems with whatsisname, the pretty boy, Jericho Rosales, if I remember right. Thought his story was weak.