Author Topic: Newbie question about PQ  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Killerant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Newbie question about PQ
« on: Dec 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM »
Hi everyone, I am really new here in pinoydvd so I am not quite sure if this is the right place to post my question... Anyway here goes... I bought a cinematube and tried to play MKV files with it but some of my files appeared to be grainy in different intensities. The 720p 300 film is the worst among my files, the grains are very very obvious. My question is, is this normal? I am also new with these hidef things so I really need some light on this. I think I read somewhere that this might be caused by low quality HDMI cables but I need to make sure that replacing my current cable would solve the problem. Another question I have is about some weird sound. I tend to hear something like a 'Tick' sound whenever I start to play a file. It sounds like something broke with the speaker inside. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Offline Killerant

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie question about PQ
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 10:34 AM »
Up ko lang mga sir...

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 01:41 PM »
Varying degrees of grain is normal. And yes, grainy nga yung 300. :)

Pixar movies are known to be squeaky clean and grain-free.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009 at 03:02 PM »
300 is grainy as that's what the director intended it to look. Some other films that are also grainy include Saving Private Ryan, The Godfather, Blair Witch Project, among others.  

And be aware that 1080p can reveal details that we often overlook in standard definition materials.  Like the freckles, lines and pimples on actor's/actress' faces and hands.  High Definition is said to be very cruel, revealing these things so that even some actresses considered beautiful don't look very flattering on HD.  Nicole Kidman doesn't look that pretty in Australia.  Same with Kate Winslet in The Reader. But that's just me ;D

If you want to check how truly amazing 1080p is, watch any Pixar or Dreamworks animation at that resolution.  Even non-Pixar animation like Coraline and 9 looks gorgeous.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2009 at 03:15 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Killerant

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 07:30 AM »
I see... Thanks a lot for the inputs.. I think I just expected too much out of high def but yes I tried to watch Up and it was definitely great... By the way, can you guys give me some tips on how to calibrate my tv? I tried to adjust its settings but I'm not really sure if I did it right eheh... Thanks again dvd gurus! ;D

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2009 at 01:07 PM »
Killerant, as a start you can try out any DVD movie that is THX certified e.g. Terminator 2: Judgement Day.
In the menu usually it includes a video & audio calibration tool. It's very easy...just follow the onscreen instructions. ;)

Offline Nomer Fernandez

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2011 at 09:55 AM »
guys, i dont know if this is the right thread to ask this question, sensya na newbie pa lang po.
regarding sa SD - standard difinition and HD - high definition. pag SD po ba ang resolution is 480 and ang HD is  720 - 1080? i want to rip all my dvds and put them sa media player na kakabili ko lang, pag dvd lang ba, ca i rip them as HD? thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2011 at 09:57 AM by noms23 »

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM »
guys, i dont know if this is the right thread to ask this question, sensya na newbie pa lang po.
regarding sa SD - standard difinition and HD - high definition. pag SD po ba ang resolution is 480 and ang HD is  720 - 1080? i want to rip all my dvds and put them sa media player na kakabili ko lang, pag dvd lang ba, ca i rip them as HD? thanks.

Sure you can rip them as HD, meaning you can up sample them as 720 to 1080 from the original 480. But would it improve the PQ? I would say a most definite NO. It it were possible, then you can turn an ordinary TV broadcast and convert the received picture to HDTV. There would be no need to broadcast in HDTV in the first place. AFAIK, there is no TV that can do that.

To increase the PQ by simply up sampling would mean violating some established laws of Physics and information theory. Anyone who is able to come up with a process that can do that will win the Nobel prize. He will make lots of money by inventing a TV set that can display in HD all existing broadcasts.

Of course, encoding in a higher definition can prevent a loss of PQ if that's any consolation.