Author Topic: Convert VHS to DVD  (Read 24294 times)

Offline Jett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Convert VHS to DVD
« on: Feb 22, 2003 at 11:43 AM »
I have a DVD writer and an Analog to Digital Firewire device which would allow me to convert VHS / Mini-DV to DVD.

How much do you guys think would be a reasonable amount to charge for the service. I was thinking of charging somewhere between P 800 - P 1000.

Let me know what you think and if you are interested. :)

Offline nursism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • &quotRespect begets respect"
  • Liked:
Re:Convert VHS to DVD
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2003 at 02:13 PM »
pls text me at 0920-514-9633 im interested..how bout the sound? stereo?

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 01:47 AM »
I want to convert some of my VHS to DVD but I dont understand a thing about it. I just want a straight dub only but if I can edit the better. It depends on the price of the equipment. For the mean time, I just want to know how do you upload vhs to computer? Once uploaded what type file will the audio/video be? For the mean time I might convert it to VCD while Im still scouting for a DVD writer. How do I avoid the sync problem or any other problem? Someone suggested to use capture card. How does it work and how about the software? Do I have to upgrade my computer, Im only using a Pentium 3 733MHz with 20G Hard Disk and Liteon CDR? Hope you can help me on my next project. I have no plans of making it a business, only personal use so I dont plan to spend too much but at least good quality conversion. Once uploaded to my HD, how do you burn VCD's? Thanks

Offline FaFa_RoLaNd

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • xbox addiktus
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2003 at 04:29 PM »
theres this guy from another board who charges 500 pesos for that service, but i got my wedding video(VHS) transfered to DVD for 700 pesos at Virramall last month.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2003 at 01:03 PM »
What shop? Can you wait for it?

Offline balasubas

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2003 at 03:31 AM »
I want to convert some of my VHS to DVD but I dont understand a thing about it. I just want a straight dub only but if I can edit the better. It depends on the price of the equipment. For the mean time, I just want to know how do you upload vhs to computer? Once uploaded what type file will the audio/video be? For the mean time I might convert it to VCD while Im still scouting for a DVD writer. How do I avoid the sync problem or any other problem? Someone suggested to use capture card. How does it work and how about the software? Do I have to upgrade my computer, Im only using a Pentium 3 733MHz with 20G Hard Disk and Liteon CDR? Hope you can help me on my next project. I have no plans of making it a business, only personal use so I dont plan to spend too much but at least good quality conversion. Once uploaded to my HD, how do you burn VCD's? Thanks

I just tried this once, hopefully, i remember the steps correctly.

1. You will need a capture card. I have the Winfast TV2000 XP tuner card with video capture. You can use an RCA jack to connect the VHS to the capture card for the video and then a mini headphone jack to connect to the soundcard's line in (you might need a converter jack).
2. Play the VHS tape and then record it using the software provided for the capture card. You can capture it using several codecs: divx, mpeg1, mpeg2, uncompressed AVI. The Winfast TV2000 software can be configured to use additional video and audio codecs.

20 GB of hard disk would be too small, IMHO. With your processor's speed, this will be the bottleneck. You can use the MPEG1 codec, but the processor will have a hard time converting the analog video to MPEG1 on-the-fly. I have 1 P3-750 processor, and when I convert to MPEG1 on-the-fly, I get skipped frames.

To resolve this, I used the AVI uncompressed codec which use a very large amount of my hard drive. 5 GB for a 12 minute video..

By the way, you can also use a program called VirtualDub. Some say this is better in capturing videos. I just used it in capturing from TV, not yet from a VHS, so not sure about the difference between them.

3. Just in case you decide to upgrade your hard drive to a larger one, the AVI can be converted to a VCD-compliant MPEG1 file using a program called TMPGEnc (free). I prefer to use this one, though there are many more downloadable from the internet.

4. Once converted to a VCD-compliant file, you can cut the movie (if it's too large to fit on a disc) using TMPGEnc.

5. Burn the MPEG1 file using Nero (my preferred software).

I'm sure others have different ways on capturing videos from VHS. Keep them coming, as I am also just starting to learn this thing.  :)

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2003 at 08:29 AM »
I think VHS/Video8, Mini-DV to DVD conversion should be offered at 500 Pesos only.
Opinion lang naman. ;D

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2003 at 06:02 PM »
balasubas (what a nice name!) is correct. it's really simple if you have the right equipment and software. i wonder why you need to charge so high for such simple work. i'd say half or up to 2/3 of the Greenhills rate would be reasonable. me, i charged my friends and relatives only a hundred bucks for such transfer including the disk, until i run out of materials to copy and got peeved with getting a lot of requests. maybe i'll charge P500 per disk one of these days.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline lekxxz

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2003 at 08:16 PM »

Technically speaking, it is not recommended to convert VHS to DVD coz pareho lang ang magiging output. You can enhanced the quality thru a DVD stabilizer card kaya lang its very expensive and its not available here in the Philippines. I was able to buy one in Singapore.

With regards to capturing, first, you will need a video capture card. If you plan to make a VCD, try capturing in MPEG1. If DVD (or even SVCD), use MPEG2.  Not all capture cards supports capturing in MPEG2 format.

I'm using ATI All in Wonder 8500 DV 128MB Video capture card and Snazzi III DVD USB edition. But if your budget is not that high, try going for Pinnacle Products. The Pinnacle Studio VCD cost around 3K or less kaya lang it supports MPEG1 only.  If you plan to convert videos to DVD, i recommend that you purchased a firewire capture card.

For the software, you can use the one that was inluded in your capture card. Or if you want, you could use some DVD/CD authoring software such as Ulead DVD workshop, DVDiT and other authoring tools which supports video capturing.

If you want to make fully animated DVD's with menus or VCD with menus and special effects, try using an authoring software.  Nero only provides you with very simple menus.

You could try Power Director Pro (it supports the PIP function in making VCD/DVD) or Ulead DVD workshop (supports menus and special effects for your VCD/DVD). They are very easy to use.
  For advanced authoring, Adobe Premiere and Impression DVD Pro are excellent tools to make your own DVD's.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2003 at 10:01 PM »
I just tried this once, hopefully, i remember the steps correctly.

1. You will need a capture card. I have the Winfast TV2000 XP tuner card with video capture. You can use an RCA jack to connect the VHS to the capture card for the video and then a mini headphone jack to connect to the soundcard's line in (you might need a converter jack).
2. Play the VHS tape and then record it using the software provided for the capture card. You can capture it using several codecs: divx, mpeg1, mpeg2, uncompressed AVI. The Winfast TV2000 software can be configured to use additional video and audio codecs.

20 GB of hard disk would be too small, IMHO. With your processor's speed, this will be the bottleneck. You can use the MPEG1 codec, but the processor will have a hard time converting the analog video to MPEG1 on-the-fly. I have 1 P3-750 processor, and when I convert to MPEG1 on-the-fly, I get skipped frames.

To resolve this, I used the AVI uncompressed codec which use a very large amount of my hard drive. 5 GB for a 12 minute video..

By the way, you can also use a program called VirtualDub. Some say this is better in capturing videos. I just used it in capturing from TV, not yet from a VHS, so not sure about the difference between them.

3. Just in case you decide to upgrade your hard drive to a larger one, the AVI can be converted to a VCD-compliant MPEG1 file using a program called TMPGEnc (free). I prefer to use this one, though there are many more downloadable from the internet.

4. Once converted to a VCD-compliant file, you can cut the movie (if it's too large to fit on a disc) using TMPGEnc.

5. Burn the MPEG1 file using Nero (my preferred software).

I'm sure others have different ways on capturing videos from VHS. Keep them coming, as I am also just starting to learn this thing.  :)

Thanks balasubas and lekxxz

Thanks but if my HD wont fit and my processor is too slow then I guess I cant do the conversion. How bad is the drop frame and is there another way to prevent this?  What would be a cheap but good capture card? Im thinking of getting a card that could also do DVD but if the price is too high, I could settle on VCD cards only then I will just buy another card next time. Someone is recommending Studio PCTV Gen 5. How is it and do you think this is what I need? OK din ba Winfast?

Offline FaFa_RoLaNd

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • xbox addiktus
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2003 at 12:02 AM »
i saw this ad... baka u might want to check it out....

http://www.bidshot.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1057819224

Offline Blankman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 12:00 PM »
Anyone who does this in Alabang?
Jett, pls send me PM for details.

JOHN

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Radix Lecti (Couch Potato)
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 12:13 PM »
...me, i charged my friends and relatives only a hundred bucks for such transfer including the disk, until i run out of materials to copy and got peeved with getting a lot of requests. maybe i'll charge P500 per disk one of these days.

sandawa, sana maging kaibigan kita. P100 ba kamo?
sana wag ka magsawa sa pag-convert at pag-burn. sana swertehin ka sa buhay at manalo ka sa lotto.

pwede bang magpaburn?
:-)

Offline klernie0521

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 12:17 PM »
magkano pa convert ng pal secam ng vhs to dvd? location mo tol and contact number

Offline penny

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2003 at 12:26 PM »
Levi,

I use a Studio PCTV capture card and the results are not bad, especially considering the low price of the card. Don't expect enhanced quality though, but if your purpose is really just to digitize your VHS tapes so theyll last forever without any further degradation of quality, I believe it is good enough.
More RAM and video memory would also help a lot in making the transfer as smooth as possible.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2003 at 02:48 PM »
Thanks. Im just planning to convert some personal VHS to VCD. Do you think my P3 733 with 256mb and 20gig HD will do? Is that card plug n play and just follow the software included? Thanks

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Convert VHS to DVD
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2004 at 06:46 PM »
Just an update. What do you think should be the charge for a vhs to dvd conversion?
I am pricing it P400 and P250 to vcd. So they will choose the dvd, same process time lang naman eh...

Your opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Onie.

Offline elmers

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 12:55 PM »
Just an update. What do you think should be the charge for a vhs to dvd conversion?
I am pricing it P400 and P250 to vcd. So they will choose the dvd, same process time lang naman eh...

Your opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Onie.

boss onie,  sounds reasonable... but you need to fugure out how you can get back your investment in PC through other means.. editing, video coverage, others... my friend charges 599 per dvd, can go as low as 499 for his "sales agents"  ;D

Offline Jett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 07:16 PM »
grabe! I forgot all about this thread that I created. I've had my computer upgraded since then.  (from a P3 1 Ghz to a P4 2.6 with 1 GB of RAM)

I think 400-500 is reasonable (depende din sa price ng blank DVD-Rs). I've converted some VHS for friends for free ... yung mahirap lang talaga dito yung time mo while waiting for the video to be encoded to MPEG pero once nandiyan na madali na lang.

Offline elmers

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
boss onie,
does your conversion include disc label and personalized casing labels? or is your 400 just include a disc transfer. 

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
hey jett,

You can now capture (directly) an mpeg2  movie directly using a 2.6Ghz dude.

Hi elmers,

Just the disc elmers, though i have a contact that can print cd labels at a very good quality. I don't include labels, coz its not worth it.  Siguro po, when i start covering events, then i must produced a dvd at a proffesional labeling.
question again? do you think this is enough? im going to email you some pics of dvd covers that i made. =)

Offline elmers

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2004 at 03:58 PM »
boss onie,
send over your menu (jpgs) through my email...
about the softwares, may co-worker ako na pwede mo kunin sa kanya...
can you email me your cellphone so ma coordinate... pero baka before christmas siguro sya uuwi.

Offline ralfyacuna

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2005 at 01:43 PM »
Try a Snazzi package, consisting of the capture card (internal or external), and bundled with software like MovieMill and Ulead.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2005 at 11:34 AM »
Hey guys, i also have 3 VHS-C cartridges of video footages that i want to transfer / convert it into VCD/

Got a cd burner and i can make a VCD but my PC does not have audio / video in device. Got the 128 mb ATI Radeon 9200 with only audio and video out (it seems) ::). got an 80GB Seagate 7200, and dual 256 DDR.

i want to experiment doing the transfer to VCD myself. What will i do? will i need to buy what? i got some advise to add a TV tuner... but what TV tuner should i get? thnx -  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2005 at 11:34 AM »
Hey guys, i also have 3 VHS-C cartridges of video footages that i want to transfer / convert it into VCD/

Got a cd burner and i can make a VCD but my PC does not have audio / video in device. Got the 128 mb ATI Radeon 9200 with only audio and video out (it seems) ::). got an 80GB Seagate 7200, and dual 256 DDR.

i want to experiment doing the transfer to VCD myself. What will i do? will i need to buy what? i got some advise to add a TV tuner... but what TV tuner should i get? thnx -  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 07, 2005 at 06:31 AM »
:)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 07, 2005 at 06:32 AM »
:)

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2005 at 06:46 AM »
with a newly installed Winfast 2000 tv tuner / video capture, i started transfering my personal vhs-c videos to cd -- the VS 8.0 software that comes with it is friendly though i discovered a problem after burning my first output....

The VIDEO is way ahead of the original AUDIO for about 3-5 secs. --  ::) To those using the video studio 8.0 editor, is there a way to solve this? thanks  ;)

Offline boss_onie

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2005 at 09:19 PM »
Hello jerix,

its normal that you encounter this things at the start. The key thing here, is you must experiment. Try disabling application you don't need. For example, disabling your anti virus can cause a real speed. Try reading articles on how to configure your pc to be fast (tweaks). Then, if symptomps still persist, try capturing on a lower compression. For example, capturing a file in avi format, provides less CPU utilization, thus your pc can coupe up with the video-sound on sync. I read an article in videoguys.com that really helps, its about tweaking you windows xp for video usage. go check it out.

Hope this helps,
Onie.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 19, 2005 at 06:37 AM »
Boss Onie, thanks for your insights --- i will try your advise ---  ;)