Author Topic: Bookshelf or Floorstander  (Read 42824 times)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Bookshelf or Floorstander
« Reply #120 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 09:24 AM »
consider the ff:
-your room size
-your type of music
-your sound preference (criteria)

BS or FS...it wud depend on your answers on the considerations laid above.
goodluck
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Dec 02, 2008 at 03:48 AM »
consider the ff:
-your room size
-your type of music
-your sound preference (criteria)

BS or FS...it wud depend on your answers on the considerations laid above.
goodluck

+1

Room Size is critical. You may have the best BS speaker but if you have a very big space, then you wont enjoy it. I'd prefer a FS for possible bigger frequency range.

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #122 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 06:27 PM »
when i auditioned the wharf 9.1 (BS) and 9.4 ( FS), the 9.1 sounded better than the 9.4, mas malinis.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 03:52 PM »
when i auditioned the wharf 9.1 (BS) and 9.4 ( FS), the 9.1 sounded better than the 9.4, mas malinis.

this would have major dependency on your room size and the type of music youve used as reference.
try playing michael jackson hits from both pairs..try playing pearl jam. i dont think youll have the same bias.

also, the space could be too crowded for the FS to prevent sounding muddy.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline macx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hakuna Matata!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Jul 20, 2009 at 07:53 PM »

the 9.4 doesn't seem like a legitimate floorstander. Think of it as a 9.2 with stands. Try the 9.5 or 9.6 to hear the difference. :)

Offline berdilot™

• Trade Count: (+135)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Aug 05, 2009 at 10:13 AM »
floorstanders are better than bookshelves. pero mostly pang surround kasi yung bookshelf sa usual HT so di mo naman kailangan ng stander kasi di naman masyado tumutunog yun. bookshelves para din makatipid ;D

Offline berdilot™

• Trade Count: (+135)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Aug 05, 2009 at 10:15 AM »
floorstanders para sa akin pang fronts lang mas madali kasing magupgrade pag ganun. ;D

Offline j0hans0n

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • _____ally-challenged =|
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
my room size is around 18-20sqm. is it better for me to get bookshelves or floorstanders?

i plan to use them as all around speakers (TV, Games, Movies, Audio).  Would floorstanders suffice sub-bass duty?

i dont want too much cable laid around the room so perhaps 2channel setup. revamping my room at the moment :D

thanks.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #128 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 04:41 PM »
my room size is around 18-20sqm. is it better for me to get bookshelves or floorstanders?

i plan to use them as all around speakers (TV, Games, Movies, Audio).  Would floorstanders suffice sub-bass duty?

i dont want too much cable laid around the room so perhaps 2channel setup. revamping my room at the moment :D

thanks.

that's quite a large room! i'm sure you'll need a separate sub. even with my 20 sq ft room i prefer the sound of bookshelves or floorstanders (set to small in the av receiver) + sub. using a separate sub to handle the very low frequencies removes the stress from the main speakers trying to reproduce the very low notes. that way the midbass and higher frequencies are more accurately reproduced. i just make sure the sub is seamlessly integrated with the mains.

If you're going the floorstander route, I would suggest you look into the 3-way type. By 3-way I mean a floorstander that has dedicated drivers for lows, mids, highs (i.e. having tweeter, midrange, woofer).
+1
but for ht you'll really need a sub. most towers can only go down to 30-35 hz while movies contain signals with much lower frequencies.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline j0hans0n

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Aug 06, 2009 at 07:15 PM »
that's quite a large room! i'm sure you'll need a separate sub. even with my 20 sq ft room i prefer the sound of bookshelves or floorstanders (set to small in the av receiver) + sub. using a separate sub to handle the very low frequencies removes the stress from the main speakers trying to reproduce the very low notes. that way the midbass and higher frequencies are more accurately reproduced. i just make sure the sub is seamlessly integrated with the mains.
+1
but for ht you'll really need a sub. most towers can only go down to 30-35 hz while movies contain signals with much lower frequencies.

i remeasured again my room, kung tama conversion ko from inches (162in x 238in) to meter, lalabas 24sqm.
of course nandito kama, computer table, tv 32incher lang, 3 seater sofa, bookshelf and a coffee table.

ill try to draw up the scheme of my room so that you could have an idea of my room and recommend me what type of speakers to get.

thanks.

Offline Huddaf

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 01:01 AM »
Haha if budget is not a constraint... Get both!

Have the HT speaker FS, im assuming on speaker A for HT. Then the BS in speaker set B for music.

or better yet have them auditioned using your Receiver.

;)

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 11:27 AM »
hi bros suggestions nyo naman sa pag setup...i changed my fronts to a 3way FS kasi...do i set is as Large sa AVR or leave it as small then let the sub do the work as usual? tnx  :D

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 12:02 PM »
hi bros suggestions nyo naman sa pag setup...i changed my fronts to a 3way FS kasi...do i set is as Large sa AVR or leave it as small then let the sub do the work as usual? tnx  :D

set them as large.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #133 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 01:21 PM »
if you have the sub then don't change it to large
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2009 at 01:22 PM by disturbed »

Offline Invinciible

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 01:22 PM »

you probably know this already, but in an effort to help...

as per advice from very knowledgable and experienced members here, try finding out what the lowest frequency is that your fs can play (i used individual frequency tracks, playing them until i found the frequency that the FS could no longer play)...  then set the FS to large, then your sub's frequency to about 5 to 10hz higher than the lowest that the FS can play para may integration ang FS-sub...
There's only one way to find out right?

Offline j0hans0n

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 03:31 PM »

My room is a bit cramped/clutter king here :D

perhaps instead of floorstanders, bookshelves plus a sub since the FS still needs a sub to go with it.

what do you guys think? :D

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 09:02 PM »
Cant decide the size of speaker to get? Then compromise ;)

Try to look for those 18-20" high bookshelf speakers like the B&W 602s3 or the Proac Response D2.

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #137 on: Aug 07, 2009 at 09:03 PM »
Bookshelf!  Bookshelf kasi gamit ko.  ;D

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #138 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 08:21 AM »
bookshelf + sub is the simplest form of bi-amping. this setup relieves the a/v receivers internal amplifiers of the high power required to reproduce bass. less power = cooler amp + cleaner sound + longer amp life. this article is one that persuaded me to go bookshelf + sub:
http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Aug 08, 2009 at 02:01 PM »
hi bros. yup im using the MS avant 908i. it has passive sub. im using a velo cht10r for my sub din.
ive been setting my speakers sa AVR to small ever since pero i changed my fronts to this one nga so i was just wondering if ever setting it to large would be better then using the sub at the same time. also as mentioned in the specs its freq response it 35-22k but im not sure if thats accurate...
http://www.mordauntshort.com/specifications.php?PID=53&Title=Specifications

advise lang kayo bros....tnx!  :D

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #140 on: Aug 20, 2009 at 05:31 AM »
hi bros. yup im using the MS avant 908i. it has passive sub. im using a velo cht10r for my sub din.
ive been setting my speakers sa AVR to small ever since pero i changed my fronts to this one nga so i was just wondering if ever setting it to large would be better then using the sub at the same time. also as mentioned in the specs its freq response it 35-22k but im not sure if thats accurate...

a bit OT:  how much does those floorstanders costS?
ninjababez online ..

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #141 on: Aug 21, 2009 at 02:06 PM »

The best way is to try. :) If your AVR has enough punch, setting them to large may be better as you'd have a more coherent sound source. You can still keep the sub for the LFE channel and for extreme lows.

Of course there is also the option to not use the powered sub altogether, and whether you'd like doing this is really your option. Listen and go with what you like. :) Personally, I am pretty happy with the lows of large towers, and don't use dedicated subs. I just make sure that I have enough power available to let the towers reproduce the lows.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 02:49 PM »
a bit OT:  how much does those floorstanders costS?

ygpm sir sorry now ko lang nakita yung thread nalipat pala  ;D 

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 02:51 PM »
The best way is to try. :) If your AVR has enough punch, setting them to large may be better as you'd have a more coherent sound source. You can still keep the sub for the LFE channel and for extreme lows.

Of course there is also the option to not use the powered sub altogether, and whether you'd like doing this is really your option. Listen and go with what you like. :) Personally, I am pretty happy with the lows of large towers, and don't use dedicated subs. I just make sure that I have enough power available to let the towers reproduce the lows.

hi sir noted and tnx! usually i set them to large if i listen to stereo audio.

Offline Gwenael

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 04:49 PM »
Sir kt pardon my ignorance but what do you mean below? Is it literally changing your settings on your receiver to large everytime you want to listen to stereo audio? Will pressing the pure direct or source direct on your receiver will give you the same benefit of playing your speaker full-range? I maybe wrong...newbie lang po.

hi sir noted and tnx! usually i set them to large if i listen to stereo audio.
marantz sr8001; dv6001
aaudio 15" coaxial; surrounds
panasonic 42pv70h
sony ps3
hdpro

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 05:05 PM »
yes, set your floorstanding speakers to large in your avr and make sure you set SUB to Off or None too. some subs are quite slow so it's better to listen just using your main speakers especially if they're capable of going low.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 05:34 PM »
Sir kt pardon my ignorance but what do you mean below? Is it literally changing your settings on your receiver to large everytime you want to listen to stereo audio? Will pressing the pure direct or source direct on your receiver will give you the same benefit of playing your speaker full-range? I maybe wrong...newbie lang po.

hi sir! yup i do change the setting on my avr to large if i want my fronts only without the sub on stereo listening. or sometimes i also use the sub with the setting LFE as both.

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 05:35 PM »
yes, set your floorstanding speakers to large in your avr and make sure you set SUB to Off or None too. some subs are quite slow so it's better to listen just using your main speakers especially if they're capable of going low.

hi sir is this for stereo audio listening or for HT purposes as well?

Offline jetro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 05:41 PM »
In my experience, there is better response when setting the floorstanders to small and using subwoofer on movies.  For (stereo) music setting the FS to large and not using subwoofer is better especially jazz, classical music.  

My setup: My FS is always set to small, with subwoofer on.  For movies I just use any of those yamaha DSPs or DTS standard/expanded.   For stereo sources, I just use "pure direct", in this mode FS is automatically set to large and the SW disabled.  For dance/R&B, entertainment->Disco gives me that "boom".  The FS combines with the SW crossover at 80Hz.  Pioneer 30Hz-35Khz FS being driven by yamaha 7.1 AVR.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Aug 24, 2009 at 06:00 PM »
Will pressing the pure direct or source direct on your receiver will give you the same benefit of playing your speaker full-range? I maybe wrong...newbie lang po.

Pure Direct or Source Direct is different from simply selecting a full-range frequency option.

Pure Direct or Source Direct bypasses non-essential internal circuitries in the receiver such as bass/treble/loudness controls, balance controls, digital processing, equalization, etc., to provide the shortest path for the audio signal and ensure pure, uncolored sound quality.  

A Direct option also turns off the receiver's front panel display and video circuitries to reduce possible noise and interference with the audio signal.
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2009 at 06:01 PM by barrister »