Author Topic: 2010 Blu-Ray Players  (Read 38434 times)

Offline redram

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2010 Blu-Ray Players
« Reply #90 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 04:29 PM »
there are several types of lg-bd550, it depends where it was purchased. I got mine in the US and it does not support *.mkv playback. However it has netcast (roxio cinema, netflix, vudu, MLB, napster, youtube, divxtv, aacuweather etc)instead. Others have a combination of both or just the *.mkv playback.

Mine is different from Conan wherein the playback keys and USB port are hidden under the bezel. I think the model he has is the same as those purchased in Europe, some areas in asia (Japan included) and the middle east.

For some strange reason features were limited to avoid features (netstreaming) that is not applicable for that region.

However, for the adventurous you can try swapping the firmware. I think the Singapore BD550 offers both *.mkv playback and netstreaming (but for youtube, picasa and accuweather only).

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #91 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 05:02 PM »
there are several types of lg-bd550, it depends where it was purchased. I got mine in the US and it does not support *.mkv playback. However it has netcast (roxio cinema, netflix, vudu, MLB, napster, youtube, divxtv, aacuweather etc)instead. Others have a combination of both or just the *.mkv playback.

Mine is different from Conan wherein the playback keys and USB port are hidden under the bezel. I think the model he has is the same as those purchased in Europe, some areas in asia (Japan included) and the middle east.

For some strange reason features were limited to avoid features (netstreaming) that is not applicable for that region.

However, for the adventurous you can try swapping the firmware. I think the Singapore BD550 offers both *.mkv playback and netstreaming (but for youtube, picasa and accuweather only).

Wow that's interesting!
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #92 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 07:11 PM »

may difference pala. mine is from singapore and does play mkv (as written on the box). can anyone confirm if they are region-free for both dvd and bd?

Offline pooch

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM »
I just picked up my LG BD-550 (after being delayed) a while ago from Anson's Glorietta. Surprisingly it's still not available to the public, it's only by order basis. I was surprised to see printed on the box that it supports MKV files and external hard drive (contrary to what the LG rep first told me). It loads Blu-Ray movies quite fast when we tested it at Anson's.

baka pwede din mag order ng 530 which would be cheaper and has almost the same features  ;D

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
LG BD550 mkv problems
« Reply #94 on: Feb 05, 2011 at 10:52 PM »
i seem to be having problems playing some mkv files  on my lg bd550. it's saying "This movie may not be playable properly" and can't play the file, has anyone encountered this?
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2011 at 11:26 PM by warmaster »

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
Re: LG BD550 mkv problems
« Reply #95 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 07:42 AM »
i seem to be having problems playing some mkv files  on my lg bd550. it's saying "This movie may not be playable properly" and can't play the file, has anyone encountered this?

Yes I have encountered that. But in fairness, those files refused to play on my Mede8er too so I just deleted them.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline redram

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 09:26 AM »
have you tried remuxing the problematic files?

you can use mkvtoolnix

maybe they have header compression - just guessing

Offline warmaster

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 12:29 PM »
have you tried remuxing the problematic files?

you can use mkvtoolnix

maybe they have header compression - just guessing

thanks for the info i'll look into that. the files play when connected directly to the lcd though, minus the audio

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Feb 21, 2011 at 06:03 PM »

that's odd... i bought the BD570 (which i assume has the same firmware since the only difference is it has built-in wi-fi and the 550 doesn't)... and i seem to recall playing mkv files over the network (specifically the first 5 episodes of transformers prime via dlna in my apartment.)... this is a US version as well...

however... it just updated it's software... must check if that feature is still on. thanks for the heads up.

Offline redram

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2011 at 06:53 PM »
When i said it doesnt play mkv, i meant it doest play mkv via usb. The main menu for usb ONLY allows playing of music and photo no support for movies. US LG-BD550 dont support DLNA it does have network port for netstreaming. Whereas BD570 and higher models have this feature. Check reviews at amazon.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011 at 08:37 AM by redram »

Offline Kd Jb

• Trade Count: (+113)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2011 at 09:00 PM »

Mine plays mkv with no issue. lg bd550 bought in sg..bluray is region a lock while dvd has been set up to be region free