Author Topic: Showtime Suspended- Murahin mo Teacher mo!- Osang  (Read 6773 times)

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Showtime Suspended- Murahin mo Teacher mo!- Osang
« on: Jan 12, 2010 at 06:46 PM »
Have you seen the video? After the performance of the group Osang asked several Qs about Jose Rizal and the poor guy wasnt able to respond, ang sabi ni Osang " Murahin mo ang teacher mo! Ako minura ko eh!" not the exact words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ktys7NPUVY
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2010 at 06:52 PM by anchit »
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
Re: Showtime Suspended- Murahin mo Teacher mo!- Osang
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010 at 09:02 PM »
Even though I know where she's coming from with that remark, it was poorly said and she should've just stopped the questioning at some point.

Teachers, especially the ones we have who are faced with so many of their own issues, can only do so much.

Did the powers that be really suspend the show? So much for democracy, free speech and all that jazz  ;D I hope there's an organization that watches the watchdog and gets to remove the stick up their asses when things get stupid.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 09:26 AM »
True, the suspension goes against the right to free speech. Can our lawyers enlighten us about this?

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 12:42 PM »
We have the freedom of speech but one cannot just say anything against anybody. OSANG I think is a born "BASTOS" and I am wondering why ABS-CBN is still contracting her on their shows. If her intention is just to catch attention, it is now abs-cbn that is suffering, sayang ang ganda pa naman ang show and we are actually watching that show.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 01:19 PM »
ekek lang naman suspension. "pinalitan" lang ng ibang pangalan yung napapanood ngayon kapalit ng showtime pero pareho ang format. mga artista kasali kesa mga ordinary contestants. 

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 01:21 PM »
foul naman si Osang ....dapat putulin na ang dila niya  >:(

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 01:48 PM »
Palagi na lang may ganitong controversy ang ABS CBN.      :D

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 02:34 PM »
in fairness naman sa showtime, they have kept the show clean and family-friendly the whole time not until osang came onboard. then it was two "infractions" agad in a matter of two days. first is her comment to vice ganda and the next day it was the teacher comment.

on the 2nd one, tingin ko medyo nagta-try sana magpakitang gilas si osang on her newfound "knowledge" online, thus the mention of wikipedia. thing is, it fell flat on her face (and unfortunately... the show).  ::)
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 02:35 PM »
Bakit naman kasi nagtyaga pa Kay osang ...Ito talagang abs walang  kadala dala.pero bakit Kaya Ganun na Lang galit Nya sa teacher? Malamang natanong din sya ng Hindi Nya nasagot.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 04:03 PM »
^ Na-trauma siguro kaya ganun. Ako nga ang laki ng galit ko sa high school math teacher ko kaya hanggang ngayon iniiwasan ko ang nagbibilang  ;D

We have the freedom of speech but one cannot just say anything against anybody.

No disrespect towards you and your opinion, but I beg to differ. In a true democracy, anybody can say anything about anyone as long as it is not libelous or slanderous. They have to back it up.

Osang's opinions were in general reference, so she's not targeting one specific teacher, which is good. But it's also bad because she did not clarify that only "some" teachers are like that and not "all". In that respect she was wrong. Any public or private organizations have the equal right to speak out against her and seek an apology.

But does she deserve a sanction or censure? Hell no. It's opinionated people like her which makes others talk and be more critical in their thinking. Case in point, this forum.

OSANG I think is a born "BASTOS" and I am wondering why ABS-CBN is still contracting her on their shows. If her intention is just to catch attention, it is now abs-cbn that is suffering, sayang ang ganda pa naman ang show and we are actually watching that show.

Let them suffer  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010 at 04:08 PM by Dan »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 04:05 PM »
This is actually really stupid. How is it different from Simon Cowell telling the demented American Idol applicants to sue their music teachers after really atrocious auditions? Buti nga ito, mura lang, hindi demanda.

That's the problem with many Pinoys, they're too sensitive and cannot take a joke. Look at that entire Desperate Housewives incident, which I took no offense at - despite being a doctor. Or who was the comedian Bong Revilla threatened to beat up after a joke about Filipina prostitutes or something?

The art of humor is lost on those with narrow minds.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 04:10 PM »
That's the problem with many Pinoys, they're too sensitive and cannot take a joke. Look at that entire Desperate Housewives incident, which I took no offense at - despite being a doctor. Or who was the comedian Bong Revilla threatened to beat up after a joke about Filipina prostitutes or something?

Take your pick  ;D but the first one that comes to mind is Alec Baldwin when he went on Letterman.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 04:15 PM »
There you go.  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 04:23 PM »
Hmmm.... like Mr. Hankey mentioned, I think they're trying to mirror this reality show with a Simon Cowell local version.  Osang's foul mouth antics won't sit well in a local audience otherwise they have to endure a year long suspension for her uncalled for remarks.  Truth can be said in different ways but not too brash in tv audience.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2143
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 05:45 PM »
Just saw the youtube footages...
For me, ok lang naman ah, I did not think it is that offensive nor the need to over re-act (in my case). She is entitled to her own opinion especially sa ganitong klaseng entertainment venue.

Ang masama kung isang senador ang magsabi nito sa loob ng Senado.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 06:40 PM »
I've seen the video and for me, Osang went too far. And I'm not being onion skinned. I'm sure she wasn't thinking when she said that, if ever she's capable of that.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 06:56 PM »
True, the suspension goes against the right to free speech. Can our lawyers enlighten us about this?

I'll state the legal principles, then you decide  ;).

1. Freedom of speech is not absolute, but subject to limitations.

2. The most liberal limitation to freedom of speech is the "clear and present danger" rule  (Cabansag vs. Fernandez, 1957).  The clear and present danger rule requires that "the evil consequence of the comment or utterance must be 'extremely serious and the degree of imminence extremely high' before the utterance can be punished. The danger to be guarded against is the 'substantive evil' sought to be prevented."

That was the rule applied in Iglesia ni Cristo vs. BRMPT (1996): http://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/jurisprudence/1996/jul1996/119673.htm

3. Freedom of speech can also be limited by the "balancing of interests" test (Soriano vs. Laguardia, 2009).  In this test, public interest and freedom of speech are compared.  If the public interest involved outweighs freedom of speech, then freedom of speech can be subjected to limitations.

4. The MTRCB has the power to preventively suspend a TV program, even without a prior hearing.  Thus, the Supreme Court held in Soriano vs. Laguardia:

The preventive suspension was actually done in furtherance of the law, imposed pursuant, to repeat, to the MTRCB’s duty of regulating or supervising television programs, pending a determination of whether or not there has actually been a violation.  In the final analysis, Sec. 3, Chapter XIII of the 2004 IRR merely formalized a power which PD 1986 bestowed, albeit impliedly, on MTRCB.

Just as untenable is petitioner’s argument on the nullity of the preventive suspension order on the ground of lack of hearing.  ... Under Sec. 3, Chapter XIII of the IRR of PD 1986, preventive suspension shall issue “any time during the pendency of the case.” ... At any event, that preventive suspension can validly be meted out even without a hearing.

If you're interested in Philippine jurisprudence concerning freedom of speech vs. the MTRCB, the Soriano vs. Laguardia case is a must-read.  It's about the suspension of Bro. Eli Soriano's Ang Dating Daan TV show:

http://sc.judiciary.gov.ph/jurisprudence/2009/april2009/164785_165636.htm

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM by barrister »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 07:24 PM »
Thanks, Barrister.

In your opinion, was Roces' outburst protected by freedom of speech?

And do you think that the MTRCB's power runs counter to this right?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 08:12 PM »
Iniiwasan ko sanang sagutin nang derecho, e...   :D

Sabi ni Osang, "Oo, walanghiya yang mga teacher na yan, hindi nila sinasabi yung totoo sa atin, e.  ... Dahil ang mga teacher, they were just repeaters."

Ngayon, ang sinasabi ni Osang, she was "not criticizing all teachers" naman daw.  http://balita.ph/2010/01/13/actress-rosanna-roces-breaks-silence-on-abs-cbns-showtime-controversy/

In your opinion, was Roces' outburst protected by freedom of speech?

Personally, I think those comments go beyond fair criticism, and as such should not be considered free speech.  Her comments not only unfairly disparage members of a noble profession, they also encourage kids to be boorish and disrespectful.

Masyado naman yatang mayabang si Osang.  Gusto lang niyang patunugin na matalino siyang tao.  

Madali namang sumagot ng sarili mong tanong, e.  Subukin naman niyang sumagot ng tanong na hindi nanggaling sa sarili niya...  ;)

And do you think that the MTRCB's power runs counter to this right?

No.  The MTRCB's power to suspend has been repeatedly declared by the Supreme Court to be constitutionally valid.  Besides, a complainant has the right to seek relief from the courts, in case the MTRCB abuses its discretion.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010 at 08:18 PM by barrister »

Offline garyMD

• Collector
  • Life is A Gift!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 08:24 PM »
Just saw the youtube footages...
For me, ok lang naman ah, I did not think it is that offensive nor the need to over re-act (in my case). She is entitled to her own opinion especially sa ganitong klaseng entertainment venue.

Ang masama kung isang senador ang magsabi nito sa loob ng Senado.

it's a case of bad example. just imagine a student "minumura" ang teacher. it's a big no-no sir. to think that we tell our students to have high regard towards their teachers. if a student feels that his/her teacher is not teaching him well, there are proper ways of addressing that issue. not thru murahin ang teacher..  ::)
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010 at 09:24 PM by garyMD »
Good friends are good for your health.
by Irwin Sarason :D

Offline garyMD

• Collector
  • Life is A Gift!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 08:26 PM »
^ Na-trauma siguro kaya ganun. Ako nga ang laki ng galit ko sa high school math teacher ko kaya hanggang ngayon iniiwasan ko ang nagbibilang  ;D

No disrespect towards you and your opinion, but I beg to differ. In a true democracy, anybody can say anything about anyone as long as it is not libelous or slanderous. They have to back it up.

Osang's opinions were in general reference, so she's not targeting one specific teacher, which is good. But it's also bad because she did not clarify that only "some" teachers are like that and not "all". In that respect she was wrong. Any public or private organizations have the equal right to speak out against her and seek an apology.

But does she deserve a sanction or censure? Hell no. It's opinionated people like her which makes others talk and be more critical in their thinking. Case in point, this forum.

Let them suffer  ;D

+1111...yes, let them suffer.  ::)
Good friends are good for your health.
by Irwin Sarason :D

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 08:42 PM »
osang may be rude bastos etc but she also got b*lls to say it? ::)
sana lang kinumpleto nya at sinabi ang sagot...

btw eto wikipedia info ni osang > José Protasio Rizal Mercado y Alonso Realonda
José Rizal's parents, Francisco Engracio Rizal Mercado y Alejandra II (1818-1898) and Teodora Alonso y Quintos(1827-1911).

bakit kaya di JPRMercado?  ::)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 09:26 PM »
Sinabi naman ni Osang na nasa Wikipedia raw ang sagot.

"... José dropped the last three names that make up his full name, at the advice of his brother, Paciano Rizal Mercado, and the Rizal Mercado family, thus rendering his name as "José Protasio Rizal".   ... This was to enable him to travel freely and disassociate him from his brother, who had gained notoriety with his earlier links with native priests who were sentenced to death as subversives."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Rizal#Family

However, since Wikipedia's explanation does not cite any source, the said explanation should therefore be considered unreliable.  

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing ...  ;)

The oldest true profession (and it is not in ‘Showtime’)        
Written by Tito Genova Valiente    
Wednesday, 13 January 2010 18:36  

... This woman went on and on calling teachers “repeaters” and, to prove that she was making sense, she gave her most intelligent advice for the day: Wikipedia.

Now that makes sense. She consults Wikipedia. Perhaps, someone should tell her she can add her ideas anytime in Wikipedia so that when she consults the site, she will be listening to herself.   ...

http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/life/20845-the-oldest-true-profession-and-it-is-not-in-showtime.html

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010 at 09:55 PM by barrister »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM »
that's why I never cite Wikipedia as a reliable source, even if they have footnotes and cite their sources. I still rely on our old encyclopedias at the office and cross-check with current information.

Offline bass_nut

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM »
the major ingredient to creating conflict and wide gap is the lost of mutual respect.. worst when it is young children/students who disrespected elders like teachers .. i can not imagine students bad mouthing a teacher because of incompetence or inefficiency

if there was an issue with a teacher or teachers there are civilize (and acceptable) ways to take.. not the way Osang did

there are dedicated yet low salaried teachers and there are ineffective ones.. others may be abusive pa nga.. kaya she should have qualified immediately her remarks

when Claire Danes commented negatively about Manila i was not offended.. rather, it sparked hope that Manila leaders will take it constructively and address the issues productively primarily for the benefit of folks of Manila.. but my hope was cut short when politicos joined the bandwagon in lambasting the actress  :(

hence, negative remarks are taken on a case to case basis.. no fast rule
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2010 at 10:22 PM by bass_nut »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2010 at 10:39 PM »
I suppose I should be glad that kids don't hold Osang in high esteem to emulate her or her mindless rumblings.

That's what concerns me more. 

The slighted profession once considered noble can either improve themselves to prove her wrong or bring her to court.

Offline olats

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2010 at 11:16 AM »
I suppose I should be glad that kids don't hold Osang in high esteem to emulate her or her mindless rumblings.

That's what concerns me more. 

The slighted profession once considered noble can either improve themselves to prove her wrong or bring her to court.

They cannot bring her to court since no particular individual can claim he/she was defamed by her remarks. The remark referred to teachers in general.

I think this is actually protected by free speech.  We all criticize government officials openly.  Lawyers in general are mocked.  What makes teachers untouchable?

Teaching is indeed a noble profession, but if she has qualms about the current state of our teaching methods and the quality of teachers we have, why can't she criticize them as well? I won't go as far as using offensive words against teachers, but a student also has a right to quality education and he/she has a right to demand that right.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM »

Bro -- my opinion is not based on what the law says, but on good manners and right conduct as a matured individual with a normal mind. Even the uneduacted knows this.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010 at 12:25 PM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline joey escalera

• Collector
  • taragyis na yan
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM »
gimik lang to... :D

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2010 at 01:24 PM »
Bro -- my opinion is not based on what the law says, but on good manners and right conduct as a matured individual with a normal mind. Even the uneduacted knows this.  :)

Who said the law dictated my opinion? Whichever way you take it, democracy is a concept or principle, not a law enacted by any one person. From democracy stems laws -- not the other way around.

I'm a fairly educated person -- not a masters degree holder or anything like that -- and I know this  :)

By the way, you may want to edit the misspelling of "uneducated"... just trying to help...
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2010 at 01:30 PM by Dan »