Author Topic: Popcorn Hour A-200! Jukebox, Apps Market, Torrent Downloader,3D,Facebook  (Read 155884 times)

Online newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 370
^ Nice breakdown - correct that most cheaper NMT's out there are on now on par with POPCORN's features.

Before, only a few NMT's had the DTS down-mix ..... now majority of latest gen NMT's has this.

The only justification I would have for POPCORN HOUR is that it is still tops (or near the top) in terms of stability. I have an A110 and have had no problems with it - except maybe for the initial loading time.  :)

Hope ERT makes everybody happy & offers the A200 at a very competitive price. Go for 9K.

Offline ditoy_eagle

• Trade Count: (+156)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kung ma group buy for less than P8500 sure madami sign up nito  ::)
Thanks to the PMPC for the award - Digital Movie Sound Engineer of the year in the 28th Star Awards!

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Kung ma group buy for less than P8500 sure madami sign up nito  ::)

Sali ako!  ;D

To add, just before the WDTV Live came out locally, there were initial reports that pricing would be in the P9k-P10K range. Maybe the disttributors were thinking then, the Live is faster has networking and DTS downmix compared with the first gen WDTV which sold in the P6K range and they also looked at the pricing of the A110.

But that pricing did not take into consideration that the xtreamer and HD Pro were selling very well already for much less. The guys here at PDVD pointed that out saying P9K-P10K is way too expensive considering the available alternatives. The realtek players really changed the NMT market in that respect.

So the WDTV Live retailed at P7.5K in retail/PC stores at first but eventually settled down to its current pricing that's more reasonable, and sellable.

Cheers!  ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2010 at 09:56 AM by gaol »

Offline Heartbreak Kid

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
ang tagal namang dumating nito, february na wala pa rin. pababa na ang excitement =) ano kayang mas best buy a-200 o popbox (us only)?

Offline ert

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
ang tagal namang dumating nito, february na wala pa rin. pababa na ang excitement =) ano kayang mas best buy a-200 o popbox (us only)?

it would be available by end of this week :) i'll let you know thanks!  ;D

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
A-200 now available! Wireless Dongle WN-150 also available!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 04, 2010 at 05:07 PM »
Good News! The most awaited Network Media Tank  is finally here, from the makers of the award-winning Popcorn Hour, The No. 1 Media Player in the world!
A-200 is now available! has a Special Introductory Price of P9,900 for the 1st 20 PDVD members!
WN-150 Wifi Dongle is also available!

Buy now!

Hard Disks Packages also available.

visit www.popcornhour.com.ph for more info
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010 at 05:48 PM by ert »

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
Price sez P,900 ... typo :)

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Price sez P,900 ... typo :)
oops thanks for that..  :D

Offline cHess

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
wow....9900 pesos....

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Good News! The most awaited Network Media Tank  is finally here, from the makers of the award-winning Popcorn Hour, The No. 1 Media Player in the world!
A-200 is now available! has a Special Introductory Price of P9,900 for the 1st 20 PDVD members!
WN-150 Wifi Dongle is also available!

Buy now!

Hard Disks Packages also available.

Hi ert, you have a sign up list on two (or more?) different threads (http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=80085.msg1136079#msg1136079) and this can create some confusion....
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010 at 07:47 PM by gaol »

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

Hi ert, you have a sign up list on two (or more?) different threads (http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=80085.msg1136079#msg1136079) and this can create some confusion....

hi sir eric,

i suggest you open a thread in this section for the group buy, just like the other media players and leave this thread for technical discussions.  :)

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
hi sir eric,

i suggest you open a thread in this section for the group buy, just like the other media players and leave this thread for technical discussions.  :)

ok sige i'll create a new thread..

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
question sir ERT.. internal dhh of pch a200 will support only 2.5in? or kasya 3.5?

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
question sir ERT.. internal dhh of pch a200 will support only 2.5in? or kasya 3.5?

it can support up to 3.5" so pwede until 2TB  ;D

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Can't wait to get the first few feedbacks on this new model... pag meron nang nakakuha ng unit, review agad ha.  :D
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
i think feedback from western users in the pch forum site is very positive. very good out of the box reviews. hd audio passthrough that works, improved speed of reading hdds and booting time. i think the only complain i read is more on the design, since it uses plastic instead of metal casing.

i think the reason why its not as fast as the other nmts its because of its price, the group buy is at 9.9k for first 20 buyers (there is a separate thread), and 10.5k regular price once the buy is done.

Offline Beefy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Actually hd audio playback is erratic on this unit according to other forums. Gigabit connectivity is just like the c200. It looks like a promising unit with future firmware updates. But as of now, imo, at the price, it doesn't offer anything which other players, almost half the price, can't do.

Features of this unit that I'm interested in are, that is if they can get it to work properly: Gigabit connectivity, Hd audio,Rich ui and simple bd navigation/menu

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
Actually hd audio playback is erratic on this unit according to other forums. Gigabit connectivity is just like the c200. It looks like a promising unit with future firmware updates. But as of now, imo, at the price, it doesn't offer anything which other players, almost half the price, can't do.

Features of this unit that I'm interested in are, that is if they can get it to work properly: Gigabit connectivity, Hd audio,Rich ui and simple bd navigation/menu

as i said price is a main concern. but with future updates, performance will improve. one of the better things that this player will do is of course the hd audio pass through, i think realtek based players will have a harder time getting this feature since realtek did not give enough support to the developers to enable the feature through its sdk. it is really up to individual developers to do it themselves.

atleast with sigma based players they expect things to just get better through time.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
as i said price is a main concern. but with future updates, performance will improve. one of the better things that this player will do is of course the hd audio pass through, i think realtek based players will have a harder time getting this feature since realtek did not give enough support to the developers to enable the feature through its sdk. it is really up to individual developers to do it themselves.

atleast with sigma based players they expect things to just get better through time.

Yes, price is crucial. I'm willing to pay more for its features, but it should be reasonably priced.

My feeling is that currently it's not competitively priced, considering its SRP and the local pricing of other NMT players.

As ditoy said, if the group buy was at P8500, ubos agad yang 20 slots!  :) I might bite at P9K flat.  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010 at 01:03 PM by gaol »

Offline cHess

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Mga 8K sana.... ::) Sigurado yan! Parang hot pandesal yan..... :D

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
yup...i'll get one if 8k, hehehe

nadala na ako sa mga promos

my last nmt was overpriced by P1700 which is too much

Offline ert

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:

yup..the price cannot be lowered na kasi, one advantage din ng a200 is that it can support 3.5" hard drives which is much cheaper compared to 2.5" hard drives plus watch out this coming march the upcoming rich ui which will be a great features for this nmt.

i've just tried the a200 and its way much faster compared to the old a-110 :)

Offline MaCMeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Is a 3.5" HDD recommendable? Have you installed one, how was the temperature?

BTW: A little of topic ;)

I posted a question to the HTIB topic but I think it is not as busy as here. I'll post the link to the topic, please, if anyone can help me, please do so.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=7296c8d001578c1e3cbed019ad1aa6c3&topic=109181.0

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010 at 03:44 PM by MaCMeL »
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
MaCMeL

Online newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 370
^ I can vouch for the A110 & the C200 ...... 3.5" HDD with no issues so far, even with passive cooling.

Temp can be hot (cannot say the exact numbers though), especially for the A110 - but like I said, I've encountered no issues so far.

Besides, big difference (capacity vs price) between 3.5" and 2.5" ....... I say go for 3.5" wherever possible.

I highly recommend using WD GREEN HDD's ..... way cooler (and silent) than SEAGATE models.

Offline HD_MOVIES

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
abang abang na lang til < 9k..  ;D ;D ;D kahit grey unit.. :)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
yup..the price cannot be lowered na kasi, one advantage din ng a200 is that it can support 3.5" hard drives which is much cheaper compared to 2.5" hard drives plus watch out this coming march the upcoming rich ui which will be a great features for this nmt.

i've just tried the a200 and its way much faster compared to the old a-110 :)

Internal 3.5" storage is not a big and exclusive advantage since both HD Pro and Mede8er have that for much cheaper. Rich UI if I'm not mistaken is coming soon one way or another to some NMTs like the xtreamer, and it looks like the WDTV & WDTV Live too.

I'll probably wait till this gets cheaper or explore buying online if the price doesn't budge.

Ang hirap for the A200 may parating pang mga bagong competitors like the TVIX ...

Anyway, cheers!

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010 at 06:16 PM by gaol »

Offline cHess

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
anyways, let see and wait....but for sure 8k will be a very competitive price for a200.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
Is this the lowest priced Media Player/Streamer that can pass-through DTS-HD/MA and Dolby TrueHD?

Just note that these features are not even included in the software dev kits for our beloved Realtek players so to be realistic about the situation right now - asa mode pa rin tayong lahat.   ;)  Endless releases of "beta" FWs do not guarante that this feature is actually coming.  It simply proves that the previous FW versions were immature.  People easily and noisily criticize Microsoft for this specific type of practice yet are seem to be happy if Media Player/Streamers are doing the same on their "hilaw" products.

The list price is about $180.  Take out dealer discount then add the costs of CIF Manila + import duties + warranty so balik ulit near $180 siguro.  So IMO, 9.9.K is a reasonable price.  Mga kaibigan, kailangan naman kumita ng business kahit papaano, otherwise - meaningless.    It's OK to ask the seller to reduce the price - but buyers must be reasonable especially since our market is very small.

Now if you dont need DTS-HD/MA, TrueHD and the cool lookin GUI, of course any of the 6K or so Realteks would be more than sufficient. But what if you do?    Again ASA pa tayo sa Realtek right now - but I hope I could be proven wrong soon because take note - it's becoming a trend for some encoders to incorporate HD audio in their 1080p encodes.  But again if these things dont interest you at all, then stick with Realteks.

Ok, kapayapaan sa araw ng Lunes.   ;)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Is this the lowest priced Media Player/Streamer that can pass-through DTS-HD/MA and Dolby TrueHD?

Just note that these features are not even included in the software dev kits for our beloved Realtek players so to be realistic about the situation right now - asa mode pa rin tayong lahat.   ;)  Endless releases of "beta" FWs do not guarante that this feature is actually coming.  It simply proves that the previous FW versions were immature.  People easily and noisily criticize Microsoft for this specific type of practice yet are seem to be happy if Media Player/Streamers are doing the same on their "hilaw" products.

The list price is about $180.  Take out dealer discount then add the costs of CIF Manila + import duties + warranty so balik ulit near $180 siguro.  So IMO, 9.9.K is a reasonable price.  Mga kaibigan, kailangan naman kumita ng business kahit papaano, otherwise - meaningless.    It's OK to ask the seller to reduce the price - but buyers must be reasonable especially since our market is very small.

Now if you dont need DTS-HD/MA, TrueHD and the cool lookin GUI, of course any of the 6K or so Realteks would be more than sufficient. But what if you do?    Again ASA pa tayo sa Realtek right now - but I hope I could be proven wrong soon because take note - it's becoming a trend for some encoders to incorporate HD audio in their 1080p encodes.  But again if these things dont interest you at all, then stick with Realteks.

Ok, kapayapaan sa araw ng Lunes.   ;)

hehe, point taken, bro.  ;D

Ang sakin lang naman e if the local distros of the xtreamer, mede8er, and even WDTV Live (not a realtek but a sigma chip like the A200) can make a reasonable profit selling at, or near, list price, then ....

Maganda na actually yung price, but right now, to me, it's not compelling enough (especially since I currently enjoy or will enjoy the benefits of the same-generation sigma chip in the Live, whatever these benefits may be). But I might change my mind in the future (maybe when I really "need" HD-Audio?), who knows?  ;)

Cheers!  ;D

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010 at 08:54 AM by gaol »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
On the question of reasonable profit. Magkano nga ba dapat? 

9900 = $215 = 19.45% over the list price.  The number looks "reasonable" enough for me.  Why? 

Because I suppose

1. seller has to spend money on his store
2. seller has to pay wages of his staff
3. seller has to deal with all kinds of kups and hassles during all sorts of formalities.  How much price do you put on headache?   ;D
4. seller has to spend valuable time doing business
5. ang INIT sa Pilipinas - so kelangan ng aircon sa opis at kotse.   ;D
6. seller has to buy a burger or fried chicken or pizza.   ;D  - wouldn't you?

Of course, sellers are wise enough to reduce their cost as much as reasonably possible.  Eh diskarte na nila yon sempre.   ;)