Author Topic: aesthetics vs. loudness  (Read 6167 times)

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: aesthetics vs. loudness
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2010 at 09:30 AM »
most of us really wanted to know the identity of the other suspect...  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D

hehe...i really have no idea about it -- brand, wattage, impedance, sensitivity... it really was an impulse buy, bought it for how it looks, without having any idea how it sounds. i bought it here around june last year. can't find the thread anymore, even my reply to it, para sana ma-post ko dito ung pics.

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2010 at 01:23 PM »
another point...i mentioned about color coordination as one of my concerns. after making the switch, i found out that it was not a problem after all since the sides were not visible. you can only see the front, which is all black, and now matches my fronts, center and sub (and hopefully, in the very near future, my flat panel as well  ;D). but the sound was still my main reason for making the switch.

someone told me -- "in an audio set-up, you don't watch the speakers...you listen to it".

right on target.  :D
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010 at 01:24 PM by -sniper- »
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2010 at 03:29 PM »
another point...i mentioned about color coordination as one of my concerns. after making the switch, i found out that it was not a problem after all since the sides were not visible. you can only see the front, which is all black, and now matches my fronts, center and sub (and hopefully, in the very near future, my flat panel as well  ;D). but the sound was still my main reason for making the switch.

someone told me -- "in an audio set-up, you don't watch the speakers...you listen to it".

sir sniper im one of those who value aesthetics very much in fact i let go of several very good speakers in the marketplace becasue its not black(you may check on my thread at the gallery and you will see everything i have is black thus I call my set up symphony in black)

just a couple of weeks someone called me after i posted in the LF section and offered me a walnut RS 1 Mint conditioned and wharfedale pacific series maple colored, i never let go of the offer as i heard several good reviews and feedbacks about this speakers

now i broke the symphony in black and never regretted it becasue i have never heard my HT and audio set up singing this beautifully. ;)
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2010 at 03:51 PM »
sir sniper im one of those who value aesthetics very much in fact i let go of several very good speakers in the marketplace becasue its not black(you may check on my thread at the gallery and you will see everything i have is black thus I call my set up symphony in black)

just a couple of weeks someone called me after i posted in the LF section and offered me a walnut RS 1 Mint conditioned and wharfedale pacific series maple colored, i never let go of the offer as i heard several good reviews and feedbacks about this speakers

now i broke the symphony in black and never regretted it becasue i have never heard my HT and audio set up singing this beautifully. ;)

yup, i saw your thread on the gallery. :) and yes, i saw how many times you passed up on some gears due to color. :)

it really is hard to change gears if you are maintaining the aesthetics of your set-up. but in the end, it will be your ears, and not your eyes, that would eventually decide.

it came as a surprise when i realized that i was still able to attain the aesthetics of my set-up. before the switch, the color of the body of my previous speakers matched with my a/v rack. now, all my speakers are black. :) and my audio set-up sounds better. :)

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2010 at 07:00 PM »

Agree.  When the lights are out...that is what matters.  ;) (guess you are talking about HT right?  ;D )

Kaya ako I had this thing to visit some of our HT guru's set up here and fortunately for me, I was granted by some, if not by majority of whom I asked a favor to actually hear how their HT perform without thinking of the brand, color, etc of what they use. I have an entry level set up, I've been to an HT that costs thrice or even more of what I have...but later realized that mine sounds close to his.  :)

2 Channel audio is another thing though.  ;)

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2010 at 10:34 PM »
yup, i saw your thread on the gallery. :) and yes, i saw how many times you passed up on some gears due to color. :)

it really is hard to change gears if you are maintaining the aesthetics of your set-up. but in the end, it will be your ears, and not your eyes, that would eventually decide.

it came as a surprise when i realized that i was still able to attain the aesthetics of my set-up. before the switch, the color of the body of my previous speakers matched with my a/v rack. now, all my speakers are black. :) and my audio set-up sounds better. :)

you are enjoying the best of both world congrats ;) ;) ;)

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2010 at 10:47 PM »
Agree.  When the lights are out...that is what matters.  ;) (guess you are talking about HT right?  ;D )

Kaya ako I had this thing to visit some of our HT guru's set up here and fortunately for me, I was granted by some, if not by majority of whom I asked a favor to actually hear how their HT perform without thinking of the brand, color, etc of what they use. I have an entry level set up, I've been to an HT that costs thrice or even more of what I have...but later realized that mine sounds close to his.  :)

2 Channel audio is another thing though.  ;)

when we talk of reference i believe there will always be something better than others but when we talk of preference, what makes you happy would always be the best for you ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2010 at 07:19 AM »
when we talk of reference i believe there will always be something better than others but when we talk of preference, what makes you happy would always be the best for you ;) ;) ;) ;)
Well said brother Tirso ;D

At kung ang wallet ay mataba............ ::) ::) ::)
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2010 at 09:47 AM »
you are enjoying the best of both world congrats ;) ;) ;)

oo nga. thanks. :)

agree! it's not really about how much your set-up costs, or what brand your gears are. it's about being satisfied with what you have.  :)

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2010 at 09:51 AM »

At kung ang wallet ay mataba............ ::) ::) ::) ang listahan ay mahabang mahaba!   :D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2010 at 09:53 AM »
oo nga. thanks. :)

agree! it's not really about how much your set-up costs, or what brand your gears are. it's about being satisfied with what you have:)

:-* don't browse the gallery or listen to other members set-up  ;D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM »

'nga naman. :D :D :D

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM »

True... spoken from experience iyan. 

But obviously brother john does not heed to his own advice.  Kaya puro upgrade tuloy.  Hehehe.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Feb 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM »

Exactly.  That's why you'll never see me on any of those threads.  ;D  Maiingit lang ako. ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM »

At kung ang wallet ay mataba............ ::) ::) ::)

abay oo nga naman brader chan ;D ;D ;D ako katawan lang mataba ;D

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2010 at 01:49 PM »
abay oo nga naman brader chan ;D ;D ;D ako katawan lang mataba ;D
That makes two of us ;D