Author Topic: Cinemalaya 2010  (Read 7380 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cinemalaya 2010
« on: Jan 22, 2010 at 01:18 AM »
Cinemalaya 2010: A battle between veteran, new directors?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Boy Villasanta, abs-cbnNEWS.com | 01/21/2010 12:10 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Former Cultural Center of the Philippines president Nestor Jardin delivered his opening remarks at the launch of the 6th Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival Wednesday noon at the CCP Main Theater lobby with intriguing lines.

He said: “...the Open Category for established film directors was introduced to bring complication to the festival.”

Jardin wasn't speaking in limbo but on concrete terms.

It wasn't of course the complication of doomsayers, but the more enlightened vision of an artist and a technocrat.

The Open Category is an initial venture of the festival to feature works by Filipino directors, who, according to Cinemalaya Foundation Board of Director Laurice Guillen, have directed at least 3 full-length feature films that have been released commercially.

According to the CCP Public Relations Office, big name and established directors will add luster to this year's Cinemalaya.

From out of the 20 or so entries, only 5 got to the final round namely “Ang Paglilitis ni Bonifacio” by Mario O'Hara, “Isang Pirasong Buhay” by Mark Meily, “Pink Halu-Halo” by Joselito Altarejos, “Sigaw” by Joel Lamangan and “Two Funerals” by Gil Portes.

Meanwhile, the annual Full Length Category carries relatively young and independently spirited filmmakers.

Ten entries from out of 198 aspirants qualified officially to the contest. They are Gutierrez Mangansakan II's “Limbunan,” Sheron Dayoc's “Halaw,” “Arnel Mardoquio's “Sheika,” Dan Villegas and Paul Sta. Ana's “Mayohan,” Kim Homer C. Garcia's “Magkakapatid,” Danny Añonuevo's “Rekrut,” Francis Xavier Pasion's “Sampaguita,” Art Katipunan's “Si Techie, Si Tekboy at si JuanaB,” Dennis N. Marasigan's “Siya ang Mayor Ko” and Ian-Dean S. Lorenos' “The Leaving.”

Speaking on empirical sense, O'Hara said indie filmmaking isn't a new idea to the local film industry.

“Panahon pa ni Lino Brocka sa kanyang 'Insiang,' indie film na 'yon dahil maliit lang ang budget. Twelves days lang ang shooting days no'n. 'Yong pitu-pito ni Mother Lily (Monteverde, producer of Regal Entertainment), indie din 'yon. Ngayon, sa project na ito, ang mahalaga ay substance at performance.”

Lamangan, meantime, is very optimistic he can pull off a film that can conform to an indie filmmaking budget.

“Susubukan natin at alam ko na may magagawa tayo,” he said.

Portes is very certain he can do a full-length feature in the indie spirit by meticulously seeing through the script before the cameras roll.

He reminded the young indie filmmakers though to refrain from being too “ideal,” if not being unrealistic, about the handling of the material at hand.

This was how he contextualized it: “Halimbawa, ang isang bagong direktor, ayaw niyang mapuputulan ang kanyang mahabang mga eksena kahit wala nang sense.”

On the other hand, from among the new set of directors, the tension between them and the old timers isn't a problem.

“Wala namang magiging conflict dahil may respeto naman kami sa kanila. 'Yon lang, sa casting, 'yong ibang artista, nasa veteran directors at sa amin din kaya nagkaka-conflict sa schedule,” exclaimed Añonuevo.

Or what CCP PR head Irene Rada had said: “Marami ring matutunan ang mga bagong direktor sa mga beterano and vice versa.”

-Boy Villasanta, abs-cbnNEWS.com

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010 at 01:19 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Cinemalaya 2010
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 09:13 AM »
Bonifacio! Great! Tried doing a script on Bonifacio once, it's tough with all the issues involved.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2010 at 07:22 AM »
It's good that Mario O'hara has a comeback film this year. Too bad no Castillo & Gallaga on the open category of the fest.

Offline NMM1

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 12:24 PM »
a film about Bonifacio is a must see.... has there been one before? 
Rega | Schiit| Puffin | Yamaha | Dynaudio | ProAc | Accuphase

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2010 at 04:53 PM »
Cinemalaya commercials! 2 more... based on engkwentro and pagdadalaga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUgEBi2T9r0
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2010 at 04:55 PM by El Zar »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1242
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2010 at 07:28 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 04:32 PM »
Watch out for the LVN retrospective. You might be seated or one seat apart with the reclusive Mike de Leon while watching the films.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2010 at 08:34 AM »
Uh-oh--now that you've said that, he'll think of a way to slip past the dozen or so people on the lookout for 'im.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2010 at 05:28 PM »
Bad, overly long long opening program. Opening film was suppose to start at 7pm, started around 9pm already!

Offline Krenn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2010 at 09:25 PM »
We are required to attend Cinemalaya on Tuesday and Wednesday. I can't wait. Any film suggestions?  ;D

Offline Qoheleth

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 08:58 AM »
Limbunan is a pretty good film. However, the buzz movie at the competition is Francis Xavier Pasion's Sampaguita. Will check out the movie today.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 01:37 PM »
Few people just showed up for the screening of Ron Bryant's THE CINEMA OF CELSO AD CASTILLO. This only prove that Philippine Cinema is really ungrateful for this legendary filmmaker!

Must see...

ANG PAGLILITIS KAY BONIFACIO by Mario O'Hara

SAMPAGUITA by Francis Pasion is generating rapturous reviews thru word-of-mouth and the audience were  reportedly crying in joy and tears.

DONOR by Mark Meily

LIMBUNAN

Offline Krenn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 08:32 PM »
I might watch SAMPAGUITA. Mr. Pepe Diokno also likes the film.

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • I am a master of my thoughts!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2010 at 02:00 AM »
*SPOILER ALERT*

saw "paglilitis" yesterday at the cramped and pathetic excuse for a screening venue called mkp hall. (cinemalaya organizers should stop showing films there!)  mario o'hara was present (only realized that we were seated in the same row during the end credits) along with some of the cast members. after the screening, i shook his hand and told him that the film's "brilliant!"

the master is in top form as he weighs in on the alleged sins of both heroes: commission on bonifacio's part and omission on the oft-vilified aguinaldo's. o'hara deftly weaves elements of zarzuela and komedya into the tragicomic narrative. but the mad theatricality of some of the scenes does not, in any way, trivialize this dark, embarrassing and vicious episode in our nation's history. it's very much within the poetic time mode framework of the film after all. "paglilitis" tries to stay faithful to well-known historical accounts even as it attempts to present an equal rendering of both sides of the story. the film seems to tell us that both bonifacio and aguinaldo are but victims of unfortunate circumstances. that both paid dearly for their personal and political choices: life for the great plebeian while reputation for the first Filipino president. personally, i find it a fascinating analogy on the lives and destinies of both men.

the actors, including the extras, acquit themselves well. vargas, daily, king and castano (notwithstanding the still traceable twang of the fil-am beauty queen) are all very good. but its angela kanapi as the impish, impertinent storyteller who steals some of the scenes. all the actors sweat profusely in the film, which i think comments well on the film subject's incendiary and contentious nature.

my only gripe about "paglilitis" is that it's too verbose and talky for a period drama owing, in most likelihood, to the tight budget. (how i wish some of the issues tackled during the mock trial have been visualized instead of discussed.) vargas, likewise, is too plump for the lead role. (what happened to his once buff bod?) he's supposed to be bleeding to death from to a stab wound on the neck.

compared to "sigwa" (thankfully, it's not 'sagwa' and imfo, lamangan's most watchable film in a long time), "sampaguita", "jay," and "mayohan" (i happen to personally know the filmmakers behind the last three films), i find o'hara's film much better.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM »
I agree. It is definitely not a perfect film, but it is the only film from the competition (yes, I have seen Sampaguita --- more on this later) that moved me to tears.

Limbunan is terrific. Donor is probably Meily's best --- that's not saying a lot but it's good to see a filmmaker back to doing what he does best. Halaw has very evident flaws, but is still quite good. Vox Populi might be Marasigan's best film (even better than Sa North Diversion Road). Pink Halo Halo is surprising, especially coming from Altarejos.

As for the shorts, Faculty is good, but the most pleasant surprise is Zurich Chan's Boca.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 09:23 PM »
Gil Portes gave Marilou Diaz Abaya a warm hug as she enters the hall of CCP last Sunday night. Abaya still exudes high spirits amidst the recurrence of her sickness.

Offline Krenn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2010 at 02:29 PM »
Seen Ang Paglilitis kay Andres Bonifacio. Slow moving but a very good film. The visuals are beautiful. Acting is great all around. Nakakagulat naman si Janvier Daily kasi ang galing niya dun sa movie.

Ang Mundo sa Panahon ng Yelo is probably the worst film I've seen so far this year.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 17, 2010 at 09:43 PM »
Cinemalaya Goes UP 6 schedule:

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 18, 2010 at 04:13 AM »
Caught three films, the first two were bad and my night was redeemed finally by watching Mario O'Hara's ANG PAGLILITIS KAY BONIFACIO.

Beautiful, superb, gripping, riveting! Can't help but to join the applause and cheers when the closing credits started to roll on the screen. Someone shouted BRAVO and that shout really fits the comeback of one of the most underrated filmmakers in Philippine Cinema.

Surprise to know that when I told him that we have a film forum on-line he just simply said..."hijo wala ako computer"! :)

And Jessica Zafra was right...he should be compelled to do a film once a year.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2010 at 01:27 PM by keating »

Offline dnmarasigan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2010 at 02:14 AM »
"Vox Populi might be Marasigan's best film (even better than Sa North Diversion Road)"

oggs, thank you for your thumbs up. can't wait to read what else you may have to say.  am sorry i wasn't able to talk to you during the festival this time.

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2010 at 07:36 AM »
6th Cinemalaya Film Festival: ‘Halaw’ Leads 2010 Winners

The 6th Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival was concluded July 18, Sunday night, with Sheron Dayoc‘s entry “Halaw” bagging the Best Film this year.

Halaw centers on an illiterate Badjao, Jahid and his 9-year-old daughter Daying as they illegally cross the border of the Philippines and Malaysia through the southern backdoor. Determined to reunite with his wife, he leaves behind everything they have in Jolo to search for his lost wife in Sabah where an uncertain future awaits him. He meets Hernand, who poses as a war photographer as he is drawn into the world of white slavery across the sea border. The two meet as they board the pump boat to the nearest Island of Sabah .

Aside from winning Best Film in the Full Length category, Halaw also bagged the Best Director Award for Sherwin Dayoc, Best Actor for John Arcilla and Best Editing.

The film Mayohan, on the other hand, also went home with 4 trophies: Best Actress for Lovie Poe, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography and Best Musical Score.

In the Directors Showcase category, on the other hand, Mark Meily‘s “Donor” took home the awards for Best Film, Best Actress for Meryll Soriano and Best Actor for Baron Geisler.

The 6th Cinemalaya awarding ceremony was held at the CCP Tanghalang Nicanor Abelardo Sunday night.

Here’s the complete list of winners in the 2010 Cinemalaya Film Festival:

FULL LENGTH (NEW BREED OF DIRECTORS) CATEGORY:

Best Film:
Halaw

Special Jury Prize:
Sampaguita, National Flower

Audience Choice:
Magkakapatid

Best Director:
Sheron Dayoc (Halaw)

Best Actress:
Lovi Poe (Mayohan)

Best Actor:
John Arcilla (Halaw)

Best Supporting Actress:
LJ Reyes (The Leaving)

Best Supporting Actor:
Emilio Garcia (Rekrut)

Best Screenplay:
Mayohan

Best Cinematography:
Mayohan

Best Production Design:
The Leaving

Best Editing:
Halaw

Best Musical Score:
Mayohan

Best Sound Recording:
Rekrut

NETPAC winner:
Sheika

DIRECTORS SHOWCASE CATEGORY:

Best Film:
Donor

Special Jury Prize:
Two Funerals

Audience Choice:
Two Funerals

Best Director:
Gil Portes (Two Funerals)

Best Actress:
Meryll Soriano (Donor)

Best Actor :
Baron Geisler (Donor)

Best Supporting Actor:
Tirso Cruz III (Sigwa)

Best Screenplay:
Two Funerals

SHORT FILMS CATEGORY:

Best Film:
Wag Kang Titingin

Special Jury Prize:
“P”

Audience Choice:
“P”

Best Director:
Rommel ‘Milo’ Tolentino (“P”)

Best Screenplay:
Harang

http://www.starmometer.com/2010/07/19/6th-cinemalaya-film-festival-halaw-leads-2010-winners/

================================================================================

Would anyone know who were the jurors for this year? Mario O's "Paglilitis" was shut out. The only film not to bag an award in the Showcase category. Could it be that they find the film too theatrical for their taste? O baka naman di nila masyadong naintindihan?

And how come "Mayohan" won best cinematography? Eh parang "sunog" siya sa screen.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2010 at 08:17 AM »
And how come "Mayohan" won best cinematography? Eh parang "sunog" siya sa screen.

Mayohan tied with The Leaving for best cinematography.

Out of the entries, have so far only seen Sampaguita, but I saw snippets of Mayohan on a LCD TV while it was still being edited by my brother & I think the cinematography by Dan Villegas is excellent. Maybe the "sunog" effect was caused by the CCP projector or equipment?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 11:56 AM »
So O'Hara didn't win anything? Ah, well, as usual.

I see Dennis Marasigan didn't get anything either. If Vox Populi, as someone put it, is his best work to date, I'd like to see it.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline technosprite

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 09:36 PM »
^yup, nothing surprising there as regards o'hara. The Pinoy jurors were jose javier reyes, ricky davao & lito zulueta plus two festival reps from Tokyo and Rome, respectively. 

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 09:45 PM »
"Vox Populi might be Marasigan's best film (even better than Sa North Diversion Road)"

oggs, thank you for your thumbs up. can't wait to read what else you may have to say.  am sorry i wasn't able to talk to you during the festival this time.

Haven't seen Vox Populi, but Sa North Diversion is one of my faves. Nakaka-relate kasi. Cathartic. :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 09:49 PM »
So O'Hara didn't win anything? Ah, well, as usual.

I see Dennis Marasigan didn't get anything either. If Vox Populi, as someone put it, is his best work to date, I'd like to see it.

Mind-boggling that PAGLILITIS didn't take home any single award.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 09:56 PM »
Hey keats, Donor's on the 28th. I'll text Dodo and see if we can meet-up that day.

Oggs gave a thumbs up on Dennis Marasigan's new film. I'll try to see that as well.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 10:00 PM »
Just got home, wedge.

Don't miss O'Hara's PAGLILITIS. We'll try to catch also Meily's DONOR.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 20, 2010 at 11:03 PM »
Donor's going to run the same day as Paglilitis. I might stay for both screenings. Hehe.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 22, 2010 at 12:39 AM »
Definitely seeing Vox Populi wedge.

Saw Halaw at UP earlier today.  Felt it was a little too  . . .is structured the right word? Would've worked better if it were more languid and aimless. Still, worth a look. And the controversial ending was so spot-on for me, it practically made the movie. Will write up a piece soon. Habang may momentum.