Author Topic: Cinemalaya 2010  (Read 7347 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: Cinemalaya 2010
« Reply #30 on: Jul 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM »
Donor is probably Meily's best --- that's not saying a lot but it's good to see a filmmaker back to doing what he does best.

Huh. I'm all kinds of intrigued.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Jul 22, 2010 at 02:00 PM »
Definitely seeing Vox Populi wedge.

Saw Halaw at UP earlier today.  Felt it was a little too  . . .is structured the right word? Would've worked better if it were more languid and aimless. Still, worth a look. And the controversial ending was so spot-on for me, it practically made the movie. Will write up a piece soon. Habang may momentum.

I'd love to read your take on the ending. For me, if it is ambiguity that Sheron is gunning for, I'm all for it. But there is an ending, it's not ambiguous at all since it's right there, repeated even, made overt by the sound bites of guns, the Malaysians threatening. Heck, even the title states the ending; Halaw means deported. There's a conclusion to the tale of these people. The only fault is that it was an ending that didn't say exactly what it wants to say. I'm not sure if it's a stroke of luck, an act of fate, that the ending has been this controversial, and has been read so many ways.

For me, the sea scenes feel so truncated. You're right Do, I wanted it to be more languid, aimless, more dangerous even. Characterization is great; the first few scenes were brilliantly directed, I think.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 23, 2010 at 03:46 PM »
I'd love to read your take on the ending. For me, if it is ambiguity that Sheron is gunning for, I'm all for it. But there is an ending, it's not ambiguous at all since it's right there, repeated even, made overt by the sound bites of guns, the Malaysians threatening. Heck, even the title states the ending; Halaw means deported. There's a conclusion to the tale of these people. The only fault is that it was an ending that didn't say exactly what it wants to say. I'm not sure if it's a stroke of luck, an act of fate, that the ending has been this controversial, and has been read so many ways.

For me, the sea scenes feel so truncated. You're right Do, I wanted it to be more languid, aimless, more dangerous even. Characterization is great; the first few scenes were brilliantly directed, I think.

Threat and tedium in equal measure is what it lacked for me, Oggs. Sheron could've lost either the sound effects of the conflict or the title cards and it would've made the ending infintiely better. If he dumped both, it would've been perfect and exalted his movie a lot more. As it is, it's the kind of overkill that's dangerously close to a big studio cop-out.

Didn't realize "halaw" meant "deported". The English title (Ways of the Sea) is a little misleading. Should've been The Deported. Joke.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2010 at 03:47 PM by X44 »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked: