Author Topic: using a pair of bookshelf as center speaker  (Read 10219 times)

Offline TinkerTailor

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 220
Re: using a pair of bookshelf as center speaker
« Reply #60 on: Feb 02, 2010 at 10:04 PM »
Just want to add this. I hope we can benefit something from this article.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/speakers/89614-horizontal-center-channel-speakers-why-they-should-avoided.html

that was a very informative and helpful read. thanks for the link sir.

palagay ko, ako lang ang sasalungat dito  ;D

kapag may kasama ako, lagi ako sa tabi para mas enjoy s'ya/sila  ;)

samahan kita dyan sir. :) i remember the time i was able to lug home the speakers i bought from sir anthony. my gf was puzzled why i was insisting that she sit in that particular place to hear the music i wanted her to hear.  ;D needless to say she was amazed. parang nasa harap lang daw ang kumakanta.  :o

so as not to be OT; i'm going to try and experiment in the orientation of my center speakers too.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Feb 02, 2010 at 10:06 PM »
http://forum.blu-ray.com/speakers/89614-horizontal-center-channel-speakers-why-they-should-avoided.html

That's an excellent article. Bookmarked it! Thanks!  :)
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #62 on: Feb 02, 2010 at 10:35 PM »
from the link jerix provided

The wave interference can be used as a tool to improve the sound and imaging of a speaker by including multiple drivers in a line array. That is the reason why Yamaha’s highly rated sound-bar speaker has 40 drivers.

baka kaya ni Master Anthony i-clone yan. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2010 at 10:41 PM by HEXAGRAM »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #63 on: Feb 02, 2010 at 11:30 PM »

for those with horizontally placed center speakers don't despair! here's another way to look at it:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/center-channel-speaker

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #64 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 07:54 AM »
That's an excellent article. Bookmarked it! Thanks!  :)

i guess you hit the mark here sir streetsmart in using a FS as center speaker. are your LCR speakers of the same brand and model?

who uses a wharfe evo30 floorstander here as mains and wants to upgrade the center? bili tayo if meron pang old stock kay cybermms at tig-iisa tayo ;D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #65 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 08:03 AM »
Good reading material too ET414  ;)

These theories and principles make this hobby of ours really challenging. We actually try to prove all these things on account of our present equipment and area of listening but at the end of the day, if we do not have keen ears to hear and enjoy the differences like mine, we just go back to what we believe is good or better for us. I used to have two big bookshelf speakers that rested below my screen for my center but due to space problem, i experimented on using my regular center speaker which is lighter than the bookshelf placed above my screen and the other bookshelf that rests at the bottom. Though I find the first setup better for Music listening, i find the second one better for movies because the vocals in this setup is centered on the screen and likewise it is space friendly.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 08:29 AM »
Good reading material too ET414  ;)

These theories and principles make this hobby of ours really challenging. We actually try to prove all these things on account of our present equipment and area of listening but at the end of the day, if we do not have keen ears to hear and enjoy the differences like mine, we just go back to what we believe is good or better for us. I used to have two big bookshelf speakers that rested below my screen for my center but due to space problem, i experimented on using my regular center speaker which is lighter than the bookshelf placed above my screen and the other bookshelf that rests at the bottom. Though I find the first setup better for Music listening, i find the second one better for movies because the vocals in this setup is centered on the screen and likewise it is space friendly.

sir jerix,

are you using an external amp sa dalawang center speakers? if not, did you wire them in series?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #67 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 08:55 AM »
It's the same concept applying to "point-source" and "phase coherent" speaker designs (and the majority of approximations that we get on the market).

Some people (including speaker designers) believe in this design philosophy, while others don't think it's a huge factor. Let's try what works for us, stay with our convictions, and live and let live. :)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #68 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 09:06 AM »
Gnew, on your question:
sir jerix,

are you using an external amp sa dalawang center speakers? if not, did you wire them in series?

i have them on Series bro. I experimented on parallel but my receiver always shuts off di pala nya kaya kasi yun pala if two 8ohms are on parallel the resulting impedance is 4 ohms. My receiver can accommodate 8-16ohms only; on series, two 8 ohms speakers connected together will result 16 ohms pala, kaya the receiver can easily drive the two.

My receiver has pre-outs on 7 channels and when I tested on using another amp for the center through the pre-outs, the sound is seemingly better but since okay naman kung series na lang speakers using just one receiver, i just decided to adopt the latter setup. Sayang daw kuryente sabi ni Misis. and still maybe if i have a bigger HT area pwede pa. Right now, i am using two speakers on series in each of the 6 channels and two subs. The sound is better to my ears.  ;D  
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010 at 09:08 AM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 09:22 AM »
i guess you hit the mark here sir streetsmart in using a FS as center speaker. are your LCR speakers of the same brand and model?

My LCR speakers are the same brand but not the same model. Wala na ako makuha same model as my LR speakers. It's really better if they are the same brand and model but ...

Having said that, the Audyssey MultEQ room correction feature will attempt to make all speakers have similar characteristics so that does help.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #70 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 10:59 AM »
It's the same concept applying to "point-source" and "phase coherent" speaker designs (and the majority of approximations that we get on the market).

Some people (including speaker designers) believe in this design philosophy, while others don't think it's a huge factor. Let's try what works for us, stay with our convictions, and live and let live. :)

+1 ako dito sir stagea, wherever we are happy. that is the most important thing, if one is not happy with his set-up then maybe its time to save up and upgrade.  :)

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #71 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 11:32 AM »
+1 ako dito sir stagea, wherever we are happy. that is the most important thing, if one is not happy with his set-up then maybe its time to save up and upgrade.  :)

ang minsan o madalas na problema ng tao ay ang kawalan ng satisfaction. ito ang mahirap. parating may hinahanap. kung minsan nasa kanya na pala ang kailangan subalit di pa rin nakikita o naririnig. bakit?

sa ano mang hobby, malaki ang papel ng mga kasama. hehe. may ilan na sadyang metikuloso at ang iba naman ay sunod sa agos lamang (bukod pa ang mga nagpapakulam  ;D). hindi batayan ang lalim ng bulsa, ang mahalaga ay malaman mong satisfied ka na.

peace.

ops, sori po sa OT.  ;)

on topic: anong pinakamalaking driver ang magandang gamitin sa center?

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 11:48 AM »
parang ito ang next trend ah  ::)

Anthony, sampolan mo na agad  ;D

teka, paano naman ako kung ipagaya ko ang center sa front tapos naka vertical... 5 footer yun!  ngeayks! ???  ;D >:(

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 03:05 PM »
My LCR speakers are the same brand but not the same model. Wala na ako makuha same model as my LR speakers. It's really better if they are the same brand and model but ...

Having said that, the Audyssey MultEQ room correction feature will attempt to make all speakers have similar characteristics so that does help.

tried a while ago using the evo30 floorstander as center while watching elegy, ang ganda ni penelope cruz... este ng tunog. dito ko tinest ang center dahil puro dialogue lang ang movie. pansin ko lang na mas malakas ang high using the floorstader vs the evo10 bookshlef. both speakers share the same mids and tweets.

maganda kaya result kung pagawa ako ng single center floorstander ni diymaster tapos let audyssey timbre match them?
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010 at 03:59 PM by GneW »

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 03:36 PM »
tried a while ago using the evo30 floorstander as center while watching elegy, ang ganda ni penelope cruz... este ng tunog. dito ko tinest ang center dahil puro dialog lang ang movie. pansin ko lang na mas malakas ang high using the floorstader vs the evo10 bookshlef. both speakers share the same mids and tweets.

maganda kaya result kung pagawa ako ng single center floorstander ni diymaster tapos let audyssey timbre match them?

Hmmm... ano gamit mo for sides nung ginamit mo evo30?  Hehe...

Anyway... was supposed to have Anthony make a center for me too.  Sabi naman niya kaya niyang medyo i-match.  Di ko lang alam kung papano.  Couldn't have him explain to me rin since I don't understand much of the technicalities.  I'm still learning this hobby.  Ask him kung kaya but I think he'll have you bring in your fronts para ma-match.

Offline Weng!

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 03:58 PM »
Hmmm... ano gamit mo for sides nung ginamit mo evo30?  Hehe...

Anyway... was supposed to have Anthony make a center for me too.  Sabi naman niya kaya niyang medyo i-match.  Di ko lang alam kung papano.  Couldn't have him explain to me rin since I don't understand much of the technicalities.  I'm still learning this hobby.  Ask him kung kaya but I think he'll have you bring in your fronts para ma-match.

i connected the evo10 on one side however most of the time the L & R speakers were silent on the movie Elegy dahil puro lang dialogue and no background music
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010 at 04:00 PM by GneW »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 04:01 PM »
tried a while ago using the evo30 floorstander as center while watching elegy, ang ganda ni penelope cruz... este ng tunog. dito ko tinest ang center dahil puro dialogue lang ang movie. pansin ko lang na mas malakas ang high using the floorstader vs the evo10 bookshlef. both speakers share the same mids and tweets.

Based on my experience with Anthony, he can do a pretty good match for your speaker only if he is allowed to open it up so he can copy its design exactly.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #77 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 04:07 PM »
Based on my experience with Anthony, he can do a pretty good match for your speaker only if he is allowed to open it up so he can copy its design exactly.

ot: but congrats sir mark on your legend status!  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 04:13 PM »
ot: but congrats sir mark on your legend status!  ;D

Hehe. Thanks, kagawad!  ;D

Nakabit na bagong pj. Maganda.  :) :)

Offline praktikal

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 04:59 PM »

Nakabit na bagong pj.   :) :)

bakit walang exclamation point sir mark?  ;D

di ba dapat ganito... Maganda!  :o

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 05:16 PM »

Nakabit na bagong pj. Maganda.  :) :)

Do I smell an upcoming EB anytime soon?  :D ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #81 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 05:26 PM »
Do I smell an upcoming EB anytime soon?  :D ;D

+100000
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 03, 2010 at 05:39 PM »
Na-derail na ang thread but since kasali naman mods ... It's the best pq I've ever seen of a pj, though I think that the new JVC RS20 of alvinthx2 should be about the same. Very 3D, inky blacks, 120k contrast ratio (!), very sharp, great shadow detail, does frame interpolation for sports (Pacquiao fight is great with it), needs little calibration even out of the box, can do a very fine convergence of the 3 LCOS panels, very easy to install and to fit picture exactly into the screen cuz of horizontal/vertical shift and blanking. Nakakagulat talaga ang pq. Jaw-dropping and eye-opening.

All in all, its a great pj. Based on reviews in the web, in its class, only the JVC RS25 and 35 are just slightly better but I prefer the Sony kasi sanay na ako sa controls.

EB ... when I finish calibrating it.  :) :)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2010 at 08:49 PM »
Back to topic muna tayo.  First time I've set-up my 3 fronts using a bookshelf of the same series as a center.  I used it auditioning AVRs muna so the positioning wasn't the best.  Without comparing it, I was satisfied with using the bookshelf as a center.  However, when we used a real center although of a different brand, with what seems to be a MTM configuration, imaging was better although dialog was much more forward and clearer using the bookshelf speaker. 

Now, am confused as to what is better.  I'll probably still try to go the bookshelf route though. 

Offline napshell571

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2010 at 10:28 PM »
Since I've read this thread sir dips15, I've repositioned my center channel with an MTM config. upright. I've never changed it since then. It sounded better to me. It's just me sir.