Author Topic: 2.0 / 2.1 audio system to existing 5.1 HT  (Read 2060 times)

Offline laukong

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2.0 / 2.1 audio system to existing 5.1 HT
« on: Jan 29, 2010 at 10:25 AM »
Newbie needs help :-\

I have an old 5.1 HT system that is still serving me well.  I would like to enjoy listening to audiophile CDs / music using my existing speakers.   Will it be sufficient to just add a CDP and TT to my old 5.1 system?  Or do i need to add a new SEPARATE integrated / power amp, or pre-amp? 

With new separate amps, i will be forced to manually transfer the speaker connectors between the 2.0 and 5.1 systems  :(

The limiting factor to me is the location and space.  The only location is the one occupied by the 5.1HT system, and there is no space available for a new set of speakers.

My existing equipments:
1.  Yamaha DSP A1 AVR Receiver, @ 110w / channel
2.  Front Speakers: Energy XL-26 @ 15-200w RMs, 94db, 8ohms, 37-20khz
3.  Sub: Energy ES-12 @ 150w RMS discrete mosfet amplifier, 8 ohms, (parang powered ata to)

Thanks

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
Re: 2.0 / 2.1 audio system to existing 5.1 HT
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM »
try listening to your current system with the surround and center speakers disabled. if you're happy with it, then stick with your present gear. as for the tt, check if your receiver has a phonostage. if not, you'll have toget one.
peace man!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM »
Your receiver should have a stereo mode or direct stereo mode for listening to stereo sources where only the main L and R amps drive your L and R speakers.

Offline laukong

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM »
Inputs on the receiver are plenty, including phono.

Will i be sacrificing SQ if i use the receiver? Will i have better overall listening experience with dedicated stereo amps? Or pwede na just buy a higher end CDP and phono and be done with it? :)

Thanks.

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM »
the sq will certainly be different if you use a different amp. as to which one is better, only you can tell. different people have different tastes.

just a suggestion before investing hard-earned cash. ask yourself: am i happy with the sound coming out of my system? if yes, then play some music, sit back, and enjoy the music.

if your answer is no, ask yourself what you want from your system. if you feel something is lacking, like bass or whatever, don't go rushing to the nearest dealer yet. try making some adjustments with the placement of your speakers. some adjustments can make a big difference.
peace man!

Offline laukong

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 11:49 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Kung meron pang additional inputs just keep em coming.

Regards to all :)

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 12:08 PM »
Inputs on the receiver are plenty, including phono.

Will i be sacrificing SQ if i use the receiver? Will i have better overall listening experience with dedicated stereo amps? Or pwede na just buy a higher end CDP and phono and be done with it? :)

Thanks.

a lot more than this sir...your standard will be proportional to your listening experience. if you are finding no fault in your system, then u dont have to change anything anymore.
it all starts once you listen to other systems...so try to avoid this :) :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM »
the sq will certainly be different if you use a different amp. as to which one is better, only you can tell. different people have different tastes.

just a suggestion before investing hard-earned cash. ask yourself: am i happy with the sound coming out of my system? if yes, then play some music, sit back, and enjoy the music.

if your answer is no, ask yourself what you want from your system. if you feel something is lacking, like bass or whatever, don't go rushing to the nearest dealer yet. try making some adjustments with the placement of your speakers. some adjustments can make a big difference.
a very sensible reply! rather than upgrade this upgrade that. some room treatment could also improve the audio experience.

also, you might want to forego that tt, unless you already have a stash of vinyls. better invest on a decent cdp.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 12:56 PM »
a lot more than this sir...your standard will be proportional to your listening experience. if you are finding no fault in your system, then u dont have to change anything anymore.
it all starts once you listen to other systems...so try to avoid this :) :)

;D true!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 02:17 PM »

Thanks.

Your receiver model was among the best out there, a top of the line Yamaha, kahit luma na, its amps were considered the best at normal listening levels when it first appeared.  No other receiver could touch it, except Yamaha's own Z1.   So enjoy its musical capabilities while you can.  Get the sources you want like CDP or phono and hear it for yourself first.  Even your DVD or BD player can play stereo CDs. 

If you can get hold of DTS-CDs, DVD-Audio or SACDs, you could have a high resolution multichannel listening experience, assuming your DVD player is a universal player.  But even DTS-CDs are a great experience and can be played on ordinary DVD players over toslink connection.

If you feel it's weak for your purpose or room size, then just get a separate more powerful stereo power amp with at least a high damping factor and connect it to the main L and R pre-outs on your DSP-A1.   

Offline laukong

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 02:29 PM »
Your receiver model was among the best out there, a top of the line Yamaha, kahit luma na, its amps were considered the best at normal listening levels when it first appeared.  No other receiver could touch it, except Yamaha's own Z1.   So enjoy its musical capabilities while you can.  Get the sources you want like CDP or phono and hear it for yourself first.  Even your DVD or BD player can play stereo CDs. 

If you can get hold of DTS-CDs, DVD-Audio or SACDs, you could have a high resolution multichannel listening experience, assuming your DVD player is a universal player.  But even DTS-CDs are a great experience and can be played on ordinary DVD players over toslink connection.

If you feel it's weak for your purpose or room size, then just get a separate more powerful stereo power amp with at least a high damping factor and connect it to the main L and R pre-outs on your DSP-A1.   

I will get my sources first and listen using the receiver.  Its very clear to me now. :)  Thanks!