Author Topic: Questions on Setting up 5.1 speakers to a 7.1 AVR  (Read 900 times)

Offline 6sigma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • "Certified Six Sigma Practitioner"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Questions on Setting up 5.1 speakers to a 7.1 AVR
« on: Feb 20, 2010 at 10:15 AM »
I got an Onkyo HRT550 recently which is mated to the Onkyo HTIB SR800 without the speakers and I got a Yamaha NSP100 5.1 speaker with YST Sub to start with.

1.)My question is where do I plug in the Rear satellite speakers of my Yamaha 5.1 speaker set? Is it to the satellite output L & R or to the Satellite Back L & R on the Onkyo HTR550?

2.) If I get floor standers. Can I then just use the front satellites of the Yamaha NSP 100 to become the Satellites?
So effectively the Yamahas now just function as Satellites and Satellies Back.  Thus having complete 7.1 speakers.

3.) Now that I have 7.1 speakers. Would I would only be able to hear all speakers only if the dvd is 7.1 or I can have the surround set to DD PLogix II or DTS: NEO 6?

Thanks Pnoydvd

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Re: Questions on Setting up 5.1 speakers to a 7.1 AVR
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2010 at 04:01 AM »
Use the surround speaker terminals for them if you're setting up a 5.1 system. You would only use the surround back terminals if you're going 6.1/7.1.

Yes, the front sattelites can be used for surround back for a 7.1 setup once you get a better set for the front. I suggest getting new front L/R speakers and a new center speaker from the same product line/series.

Offline 6sigma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2010 at 05:39 PM »
Use the surround speaker terminals for them if you're setting up a 5.1 system. You would only use the surround back terminals if you're going 6.1/7.1.

Yes, the front sattelites can be used for surround back for a 7.1 setup once you get a better set for the front. I suggest getting new front L/R speakers and a new center speaker from the same product line/series.

Thanks Bro I did exactly that and it sounds better. I am now slowly upgrading. You mentioned to get Front L&R speakers and Center from the same meaning Onkyo. IF I opt for Wharfdales would that be ok?

Offline beginner

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 03:07 AM »
Stagea meant that you go with the same brand/series of speakers for front and center for "timbre" matching. You can go with any speaker that is pleasing to your ears. Wharfes are ok with Onkyo.  :)

Hope this helps.

Offline 6sigma

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010 at 01:09 AM »
Great guys.. I am eyeing a fellow pdvd members wharfdales Pi10 as temp fronts and will eventually move that to surround and his wharfdale satellites to back satellites.. Eventually later on phasing out my Yam NSP100 to my inlaws or my wifes  use.

Offline Armz316

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2011 at 08:47 PM »

yes you'll hear 7.1 also on ddprologic2x. just use optical or coaxial cable for best audio sound..