Author Topic: Bluray VS DVD  (Read 20612 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bluray VS DVD
« Reply #90 on: Feb 07, 2010 at 02:22 PM »
Well, 3D at home (polarized or active-shutter, not anaglyphic) would really be mind-blowing, if --- and that's a big "if" --- they would ever get it right.

If no BD player in the world can implement a simple resume function on a BD-J disc in 2010, imagine the deluge of glitches on 3D BD when it comes out.

As for me, I'd rather watch 3D the old-fashioned way --- in a movie theater at the malls ...  :D
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2010 at 02:25 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Feb 15, 2010 at 10:15 AM »
I finally bought a BD player (Panny BD60), thanks to sir pchin's positive outlook  ;).

For my first BD disc, I bought a Benjamin Button from Astro V-mall.  Compared with the SD version, the BD's clear advantage is the stunning detail, even if my 50-inch plasma is only a 1366 x 768 panel, and even if I'm seated 10 feet away from the screen.

Benjamin is only rated "1.75 - Gold" on avsforum's PQ Tier List (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342), yet I'm very happy with the PQ.  

I'll try a title from Tier 0 or 1 next time.  But I'll try to avoid BD-J discs.

I tested a dual layer DVD+R to see if the player can handle a seamless layer change.  Surprisingly, the BD60 handled the layer change seamlessly, contrary to some posts on avsforum.  I know exactly where the layer change on that DVD+R is located, since I set the layer change position myself on ImgBurn.  

Next time, I'll observe how the player handles older DVDs that have a non-seamless layer switch.

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010 at 10:19 AM by barrister »

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2382
« Reply #92 on: Feb 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM »
I finally bought a BD player (Panny BD60), thanks to sir pchin's positive outlook  ;).

For my first BD disc, I bought a Benjamin Button from Astro V-mall.  Compared with the SD version, the BD's clear advantage is the stunning detail, even if my 50-inch plasma is only a 1366 x 768 panel, and even if I'm seated 10 feet away from the screen.

Benjamin is only rated "1.75 - Gold" on avsforum's PQ Tier List (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342), yet I'm very happy with the PQ.  

I tested a dual layer DVD+R to see if the player can handle a seamless layer change.  Surprisingly, the BD60 handled the layer change seamlessly, contrary to some posts on avsforum.  I know exactly where the layer change on that DVD+R is located, since I set the layer change position myself on ImgBurn.  

Next time, I'll observe how the player handles older DVDs that have a non-seamless layer switch.

Sir Congrats, happy viewing. I think a few titles you really have to buy are Braveheart and UP. Man the PQ is simply awesome imo ;D ;)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Feb 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm thinking hard about Braveheart, kasi I recently got the remastered SD DVD (Canadian R1), and the PQ is very, very good on the SD DVD.  Nakakahinayang tuloy ...  :(
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010 at 10:51 AM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Feb 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM »
Congrats, Atty!!! You now have a new spending curve ahead.   ;D   

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #95 on: Feb 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM »

Congratulations sir,..!

That is a fine unit,....

regards,
Benedict

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #96 on: Feb 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM »
... and just in case, i find this site very informative, esp with the reviews and problems of some of the BD players out there...

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

cheers,...

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #97 on: Feb 15, 2010 at 04:24 PM »
Congrat Atty Barrister for finally taking the decision (it must be a really hard decision after the long deliberation period)! Welcome aboard to the BD HD world. Nice...even at 50" 1366 x 768, no doubt the PQ will still look stunning. ;) 

Currently, there are some nice tittles out there selling below $15.00
Amazon

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Feb 15, 2010 at 05:58 PM »
Thanks sir pchin!  That's right, even on a 50" 1366 x 768 plasma, where I suppose SD DVD will look as good as it can get, the BD is still obviously superior.  One glance and you just know that you're looking at a high def image.

Congrats, Atty!!! You now have a new spending curve ahead.   ;D

Thanks, bosing!

Sa spending, hindi naman siguro.  I still think that for a lot of movies, SD DVD is good enough.  

For example, have you heard of the "The Others" BD?  They say it's a terrible 1080i transfer: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews46/the_others_blu-ray.htm

Like I always say, the player is cheap ... it's the price of the discs that'll kill ya ...  :P

Congratulations sir,..!

That is a fine unit,....

regards,
Benedict

Thanks, bos Benedict!  They say the Panny BD60 is second only to the Oppo BDPs.

... and just in case, i find this site very informative, esp with the reviews and problems of some of the BD players out there...

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

cheers,...

Thanks again.  OK yata yung Panny BD45, kung no ethernet.  I tend to go for the models with less features, kasi my philosophy is that the simpler model will give you fewer glitches.      

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2010 at 06:40 PM by barrister »