Author Topic: 2009 Metro Manila Film Festival  (Read 9766 times)

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2009 Metro Manila Film Festival
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 06:41 PM »
Are there pinoy films that outgrossed hollywood films being shown at the same time in the Metro?  TIA

I have no idea.

But maybe, these links will help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_Philippines

http://chikamuna.com/15-top-grossers-in-pinoy-movie-industry-as-of-october-2008-2/

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 07:59 PM »
Thanks Philander.  The list of domestic box office of hits since 2006 shows a healthy competition between domestic and foreign films.  2008 showed 2 local films lording over such world hits as twilight, dark Knight and Ironman. 2006 saw Sukob over X-man The Last Stand

Assuming of course that the data is correct, while Hollywood films still dominate the list, local cinema is earning hundreds of millions on low budget melodramas like Ang Tanging Ina, Sukob, Caregiver and A very Special Love and lording it over high tech films like Ironman, Twilight, Dark Knight and X-men, it clearly proves that we can compete at the tills. We only need to tap better more daring stories in more films.    
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009 at 08:14 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2009 at 08:24 PM »
I've long missed Imelda's MIFF. That was the time I saw Scorpio Nights and OroPlataMata.  Not that I want her back, but if she were in power she'd probably have all those people behind the MMFF lined up and shot.  ;D

This is what I missed also! Although it paved the way for soft-core Pinoy Films during the 80's, the worst and the best Filipino films came up during this period.

And seeing again the interview of Vilma Santos on Cinema One recalling the glorious days of MMFF in 1977 where Brocka fought with the head of the juror Rolando Tinio and her shoving match with her rival Nora Aunor for RUBIA SERVIOS & ATSAY made me nostalgic again.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009 at 08:26 PM by keating »

Offline Pillow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2009 at 05:04 AM »
A friend of mine said that Wapakman flops while Panday is currently the highest grosser  ;)

Heard from a grapevine that Pacman was inserting 500 bills in the t-shirts he was tossing out during the mmff parade. When he used up all the 500 bills, he replaced them with 1000.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010 at 04:53 PM »
ewan ko lang sa sarili ko...

siguro nahilig lang ako sa hollywood movies kaya parang wala nang 'dating' sa akin ang MMFF (or pinoy movies - but of course maliban sa mga pelikula ni sarah at john loyd he he he and some good movie like ploning babae sa breakwater etc)....

dapat kasi kahit man lang isang taon ang preparation ng mga movie para naman masabi na pinaghandaan at piang-isipan ang pelikula...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline NMM1

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010 at 01:26 PM »
For the past few years, producers of movies who join the MMFF just want to earn big bucks, that's all.
Rega | Schiit| Puffin | Yamaha | Dynaudio | ProAc | Accuphase