Author Topic: Avatar Blu-ray + DVD  (Read 13120 times)

Offline toyfanatic

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: Apr 04, 2010 at 12:02 AM »

guys

any word on the official release date locally? I read over the net that the release abroad is on April 22 Blu-ray + DVD, sana meron din dito

TIA

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
Re: Avatar Blu-ray + DVD
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2010 at 07:06 AM »
My guess, is it will arrive pretty much the same time here but only in DVD form.  Bluray will be a separate purchase.
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1246
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2010 at 07:41 PM »
from Viva.com.ph:

Beyond Imagination From Home
Monday, 05 April 2010

Fans Can Now Return To A World Beyond Imagination From Home When James Cameron’s Stunning Masterpiece Launches On Blu-ray Disc And DVD Beginning April 22nd.

Reserve a Copy now! Get a FREE Avatar Collector’s Edition Poster when you pre-booked from April 1 to 22, 2010.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced that it will begin the global rollout of the Blu-ray Disc and DVD of Director James Cameron’s history-making motion picture AVATAR commencing April 21st to coincide with the 40th anniversary of Earth Day. The Philippines will launch Avatar on April 22, 2010 in all major video outlets nationwide.

The must-own AVATAR Blu-ray release provides the ultimate high definition experience ever for home viewing audiences.  Recognized for its optimum picture and sound, the film’s masterful cinematography, art direction and visual effects lends itself to awe-inspiring clarity when viewed on Blu-ray Disc.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 05:38 AM »
Viva ang nakakuha ng rights???

??? ??? :-[ :-[ :'( :'(
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1246
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 08:00 AM »
Viva ang nakakuha ng rights???

??? ??? :-[ :-[ :'( :'(

It's a Fox release, so Viva is the local distributor. Based on their track record for Fox titles, I don't think this will be a cheap Viva release though. The contents should be similar to the R1 (which is bare bones for now).

Personally, I'll be waiting for the inevitable "Special-Ultimate" Edition with all the extra making-of material...

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 09:53 AM »
It's a Fox release, so Viva is the local distributor. Based on their track record for Fox titles, I don't think this will be a cheap Viva release though. The contents should be similar to the R1 (which is bare bones for now).

Personally, I'll be waiting for the inevitable "Special-Ultimate" Edition with all the extra making-of material...

Yeah most probably.  I would go DVD first then Blu ray when the ultimate edition comes out.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 09:58 AM »
ah ok... whew... galing pala sa 20Fox

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 10:48 AM »

And hopefully this "Special-Ultimate" edition will include the 3D version.   ;D

So we're not getting a steelbook release for Avatar?  I heard China, Taiwan, and Thailand are getting blu-ray steelbook releases.  Hong Kong is getting an IronPack blu-ray.  What about here?  Aren't we getting even a DVD steelbook release for this?

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 10:55 AM »
so Hindi siya BD+DVD combo?
How much ba ang DVD?
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline coffeetiger

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 11:35 AM »
^  No idea... pero sana yung BD eh BD+DVD combo then may separate DVD only edition for those without BD players.

No official price yet (meron na ba?) but my guess is around P750 (for the DVD).  :)

Offline eckxs

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Collector
  • We run things, things don't run we.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 10:18 PM »
Let's just wait for the special edition in 3D release and my guess that would be a long time. Just like Titanic.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 09:11 PM »
If a 3D version get released (some speculates it will be in time for the Christmas season), it will probably be in the new 3D format that requires an updated Bluray player and new flat panel and those new active-shutter 3D glasses.  I don't think there will be a 3D version that uses those old blue-and-red or red-and-green glasses...

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 09:25 PM »
I believe the 3D version would be like the Monsters vs Aliens Bluray that came with the glasses.  The newer 3D technology might not be mainstream yet.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 07:09 AM »
I believe the 3D version would be like the Monsters vs Aliens Bluray that came with the glasses.  The newer 3D technology might not be mainstream yet.
Movie studios are not that big on those old fashioned glasses, Even Monster VS Aliens isn't in old-fashioned 3D, only the extra DVD.   

The movie studios and flat panel makers are rolling out the new version of 3D this year, and pushing it as the next big thing.  I still believe that, just as Avatar pushes the 3D into mainstream acceptance in theatres, they will use it to push the new technology into mainstream or at least those early-adopter to pay high prices for new technology...

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 07:27 AM »
Movie studios are not that big on those old fashioned glasses, Even Monster VS Aliens isn't in old-fashioned 3D, only the extra DVD.   

The movie studios and flat panel makers are rolling out the new version of 3D this year, and pushing it as the next big thing.  I still believe that, just as Avatar pushes the 3D into mainstream acceptance in theatres, they will use it to push the new technology into mainstream or at least those early-adopter to pay high prices for new technology...

Did the bluray version come with an extra DVD?

There may be an Avatar released for the newer 3D version.  But as shrewd as movie companies are in the business, I tend to believe that releasing the movie exclusively in newer 3D would enrage the majority of paying consumers.  There is only a niche market initially who would pay for a brand new flat panel just to be able to test and watch Avatar in the new version in 3D.  They certainly wouldn't ignore the hundreds of millions in income that can potentially be generated from those hesitant to jump in on the new technology just for one disc.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 08:06 AM »
Did the bluray version come with an extra DVD?

There may be an Avatar released for the newer 3D version.  But as shrewd as movie companies are in the business, I tend to believe that releasing the movie exclusively in newer 3D would enrage the majority of paying consumers.  There is only a niche market initially who would pay for a brand new flat panel just to be able to test and watch Avatar in the new version in 3D.  They certainly wouldn't ignore the hundreds of millions in income that can potentially be generated from those hesitant to jump in on the new technology just for one disc.
For the old audience, there's the 2D version.  Unless, they would create three versions, so you have to triple dip.  Although having two 3D version would make it confusing on the retailer/consumer.  Most big studios have refrained from releasing old 3D version of 3D movies.  Disney didn't release 3D version of Toy Story 1&2, Bolt, etc.  Dreamworks has not released Monster VS Aliens in 3D.  Only lesser releases from studios like Coraline, My Bloody Valentine, Final Destination...

3D is the next big thing, especially in the US.  They want to have something for the early adopters.  And with the economy especially picking up, consumer spending is on the way up as well.  So studios and tech makers are hoping 3D will be a big reason to upgrade, and what better film to showcase than the biggest moneymaker of all time...

We are a bit off topic na...

In the US, it's DVD+Bluray combo.  Highly unlikely here as all DVD+Bluray Combo becomes separate releases here especially Disney, though that's a different studio...
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2010 at 08:08 AM by techdude »

Offline Ashburndaride

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 08:25 PM »
PASS! I can wait till November  ;D

from iesb.net

Q: Can you talk about what the special edition Blu-ray/DVD will have, when it's released in November?

James: It will have a lot of great features, making of stuff and behind the scenes stuff. You'll be able to do a branching experience where you can select if you want to watch the basic movie, if you want to watch the movie with six minutes of footage added back in, or if you want to watch an earlier cut of the film that has 30 or 35 minutes of additional footage. It will be an unrecognizable movie. You'll be going on a journey into a whole different version of Avatar. And some of the scenes won't be done because we won't have the budget to finish 20 or 30 minutes of CG stuff. We're taking the Greatest Hits six minutes and finishing that. If you do that one experience, you'll watch a movie that's only about six minutes longer, but it's seamless. If you do the other experience, you're going to watch a movie that's much longer and has a lot of stuff in it that you won't recognize, some of which won't be finished. It will be a little bit more like some of the Disney stuff that they do where they leave pencil tests in for scenes that were never done. That's really more of a fan's exploration of what the movie might have been, or a lot of the ideas that fed into it. You're also going to be able to look at a scene, and then look at the same scene with just the reference cameras of the capture. If it's a close-up in the final cut scene, it will be the close-up reference camera. If it's a wide shot, it will be the wide shot reference camera. We'll literally have a parallel cut, where you can watch it just in the reference cameras. The remarkable thing about that, and we've watched a few scenes that way, is it's the movie. It doesn't look like the movie, but the essence of it and the moment is exactly what you see in the final film. It's just people in black leotards. It's pretty wild. It's pretty amazing. The thing that I think is really cool is when you do it in a picture-in-picture, so you see the final image of Neytiri and you see what Zoe is doing, and it's identical. That's when you really get what the process is. You can talk about it for hours, or you can watch one scene in a picture-in-picture display and you'll get it.

Q: With the special edition Blu-ray/DVD in November and a potential re-release in theaters, it seems like Avatar has a long shelf life.

James: You can't escape.

more here>>> http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8829:interview-james-cameron-talks-avatar-blu-ray-avatar-2-and-glenn-beck&catid=44:interviews&Itemid=172

Offline dos

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM »
i saw one at oddysey olongapo tonight..single disc at 750........pero di pa naka display sa shelf

Offline syoti

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 06:31 AM »
today's earth day.. according to posters this will be released today! ;D

Offline toyfanatic

• DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 06:46 AM »

sana ngayon din yung blu-ray...

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 06:56 AM »
single disc

wala atang special features : 750.oo

Offline 1ringwd4s

• DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 11:33 AM »
Bluray is single disc also. P1700. 6 more copies at Astro Festival Mall.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010 at 04:18 PM by 1ringwd4s »
One Ring with The Force

Offline toyfanatic

• DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 02:45 PM »

got a copy also of the blu-ray at mega mall ;D

Offline lord_vader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 04:21 PM »
P1700 is a bit expensive for a single-disc Blu-Ray. Amazon is selling a 2-disc Blu-Ray which includes the Blu-Ray version and the DVD version for just $19.99 (Less than P1000).

Offline 1ringwd4s

• DVD Addict
  • One Ring with The Force
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 04:31 PM »
I agree. Kahit with shipping mas mura parin Amazon. $20 plus international shipping of $10 going to manila.
One Ring with The Force

Offline toyfanatic

• DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM »
P1700 is a bit expensive for a single-disc Blu-Ray. Amazon is selling a 2-disc Blu-Ray which includes the Blu-Ray version and the DVD version for just $19.99 (Less than P1000).

kaso tagal ng delivery lead time....sige sir order ka na sa amazon...kame nag enjoy sa copy namin....

Offline eckxs

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Collector
  • We run things, things don't run we.
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM »
Cool ng mga promo ng Viva. They wore Avatar costumes kanina. I saw one in Shang. Competition pala yun between different Viva promos.  ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 03:15 PM »

Ako din, umoorder na lang ng maraming titles from Amazon, iniipon ko para sabay-sabay mag ship para maka tipid sa shipping through Johnny Air. Ung savings from Amazon is enough to buy other titles. Being able to get the title the earliest is no longer a prerogative since I have have a lot of other BD titles I haven't even opened... :P

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 23, 2010 at 05:42 PM »
Bluray is single disc also. P1700. 6 more copies at Astro Festival Mall.

ang ganda naman niyan...

sana meron din iyong mother three... para kumpleto na talaga...

Offline casanegro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "Manos", The Hands of Fate
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2010 at 02:24 PM »
Avatar 2 is coming. May trailer na:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dIOw2sffHI
 ;)