Author Topic: The Peque Gallaga Thread  (Read 124515 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: THE PEQUE GALLAGA THREAD
« Reply #510 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 11:43 AM »
STAR Records owns the distribution rights to all ECP produced films...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #511 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 11:45 AM »
There's a big possibility that it will be release on dvd?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
not anytime soon...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 01:56 PM »
It's sad.  And tragic.  Oro is a landmark masterpiece in local cinema history and these nincompoops are frittering away at one unmstakable heritage by depriving their fellow pinoys of a DVD release that is worth owning at home not only to enjoy but to keep for posterity. Not to mention a medium that can be shared with the rest of the world as a showcase on what Pinoys can do with films.

And in case they have failed to restore this masterpiece to its pristine condition, shame on them, not only for reneging on their responsibilities as custodians of pinoy cinematic legacy that is an integral part of modern pinoy culture, but for becoming pathetic shadows of their hollywood counterparts who are at this moment restoring hundreds of old movies as I write this post.  They should be jailed for the crime of cultural sabotage.  ;D (if there's such a crime. ;D

And don't give me that BS that they have no money to undertake a restoration.  That's just not acceptable.  Celebrities have been known to raise millions if they and the organizers put a determined and concerted effort at it.  Tamad lang ang mga yan at walang concern.  They'd rather produce silly love comedies than restore a heritage.  Just my rant.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2007 at 04:50 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 02:03 PM »
STAR Records owns the distribution rights to all ECP produced films...

No wonder, Star records is a name synonymous to pathetic local DVD releases.  I wouldn't entrust a cinematic heritage on such incompetents. 

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 05:48 PM »
Av_phile dont rant but I understand your predicament. Even Peque had to go underground just to make a copy of his own film. Restoring this landmark film will be a painful task, the studio needs million bucks. As far as I know Road Runner had already cleaned the masterprint so the one being shown at Cinema One is the best quality available.

If I won in the lottery, I'll produce the legitimate dvd release of ORO.  ;)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: Sep 22, 2007 at 10:20 PM »
Av_phile dont rant but I understand your predicament. Even Peque had to go underground just to make a copy of his own film. Restoring this landmark film will be a painful task, the studio needs million bucks. As far as I know Road Runner had already cleaned the masterprint so the one being shown at Cinema One is the best quality available.

If I won in the lottery, I'll produce the legitimate dvd release of ORO.  ;)

I'm sure you will. 

First of all the masterprint must find its way to Japan or the US to have each frame scanned and digitized.  That's the only way to preserve it for posterity.  Once digitized, you have to go frame by frame to clean each and restore the color and brightness to their original state, (or better state if they can enhance it).  This would most likely take an entire year or two to do.  That's where most of the expenses go.  Until this is done, the 23-yr old master film has only one sure place to go - the garbage can.  I don't know what they used, nitrate, tri-acetate or polyester based films and I don't even know if we have the facilities to properly store a film in terms of humidity and temperture to comply with the ANSI standard, but having a digital master is the first step to having a DVD release.  Every effort must be geared to having a digital master of the Oro print.  Once that is done, restoring it can be automatic. 

I might not mind having an unrestored digtal print on a DVD.   A restored print can come later for a double-dip version with 5.1 track remastering. 
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2007 at 10:26 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: Sep 23, 2007 at 03:55 AM »
as far as i know Regal doesn't have a print of the complete version of Scorpio Nights... the one screened at the Toronto Film Festival is probably in  their archives along with Mel Chionglo's Playgirl...

the original Trigon release was uncut...

The "missing" sequences were featured in SIZZLING SEX SCENES compilation that Regal Films released in 2005.  So, why can't (or didn't) they reinstate these in the DVD release?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: Sep 23, 2007 at 05:38 PM »
Peque's Australian friend was willing to finance and remaster before the print of ORO PLATA MATA but the problem is he doesn't have the print. They were planning also for the gala preem of the movie in his hometown in Negros Occidental. The plan was made before the 20th anniversary of the film sponsored by Jessica Zafra's FLIP MOVIE CLUB.

Its all now in the hands of Abs-Cbn.

Weird but true.....I borrow the vcd of SCORPIO NIGHTS from a friend and its the UNCUT VERSION.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #519 on: Sep 23, 2007 at 08:57 PM »
I don't think ABS is any more aware of Oro's cinematic heritage to bother digitizing it for remastering.  If they were, they could have given it to Peque's Australian friend that you mentioned.   They're more interested in topling GMA7 in the ratings game. 
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2007 at 09:00 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 07:56 PM »
i wonder what role he'll be playing... that's something to look forward to.

Looks like a long shot the project with Cristine Reyes under Ara Mina's film outfit. Do you know who's behind also in this project?
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2007 at 08:02 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 07:10 PM »
isn't Pac Man involved with this project?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 07:13 PM »
Absolutely.....the project is pushing through. Pre-production began last week. It will be exciting to see Peque-Michiko collaboration but Mich nixed the project. Its not her cup of tea.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 07:17 PM »
so who's going to write the project now?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 07:19 PM »
They are still looking for a writer. The man is probably going back to sexy genre.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 09:33 PM »
Three phases of the exodus scene of the Lorenzo and Ojeda clan in Gallaga's ORO PLATA MATA:

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007 at 09:35 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: Oct 14, 2007 at 11:53 AM »

One of the most horrible way on how to market your film: Promote it like a sex-flick just because one of the lead cast was hot during its time of release. Still ISANG ARAW WALANG DIYOS managed to get a handful of audience and signal again the return of the man in epic genre. Thanks to James of Philippinecinemavault for the picture.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007 at 11:55 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 06:52 PM »
Now it can be told......The late master filmmaker Ishmael Bernal to Peque Gallaga afer previewing the 5-hour cut of ORO PLATA MATA:

"Its too long.......Peque. I'll do the cut for you!"

How could you.......Ishma.   ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2007 at 07:08 PM by keating »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 09:18 AM »
watch out for the animated flick where Peque's part of the cast!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: Jan 27, 2008 at 10:35 AM »

Back to the Future: Peque Gallaga Interviewed
As Peque Gallaga's dazzlingly creative Pinoy/Blonde becomes available on demand on Firecracker TV, we spoke to the respected Filipino director - and film lecturer - (pictured right) about the ideas behind the movie, his views on film in the Philippines, and the answer to the debate over the greatest Filipino director of all time...

Firecracker: How did Pinoy/Blonde come about?

PG: I was very heavily involved in mainstream Filipino industry filmmaking when I came across Tarantino's films.

I'm not very impressed with Tarantino's sensibilities - the idea of making a cult following out of something not necessarily good to begin with mainly because it is/was highly inaccessible to movie aficionados, is a very American elitist “thing”; it'’s a very computer geek preoccupation, to celebrate the extrinsic and the outlandish - very much like comparing muscles or penis sizes, the winners being those who exhibit knowledge of what is more arcane and outrageous. It goes without saying that Tarantino has reached the limits of audience acceptability with the flop of his latest, Grindhouse.

But in a world where the guiding forces of moviemaking were to shorten and get to the point as fast as possible, Tarantino'’s verbal excursions into the import of “Like A Virgin” and the finer points of Parisienne McDonald’s burgers were like a burst of fresh air. It was a giddy feeling to be exposed to extremely articulate, but not necessarily intelligent, everyday personalities who were involved in commenting on the circumstances they were finding themselves in (as opposed to professors, sages, professors and highly educated characters who are normally used to explain the world or the “situation” in a movie).

So I decided to try it for myself and started to write a script about two young men, basically losers, failed movie directors, who not only saw the world in cinematic terms but were actually enmeshed in the movie in their minds. I wanted the script to be aware that much of what was taking place was really their cinematic take on the reality around them, and at the same time, there were two interpretations going on. I wrote it without any thought to structure or a general plot outline. I started it right in the middle of some action and then, like my characters, made my way through the information that kept popping up as the story progressed. There was no thought of the Moebius strip kind of conclusion it finally ended with, but in looking back, I don’'t know where else it could have gone.

When I finished, since I had worked on it in English, I passed it on to my partner in films [Lore Reyes] who does the Filipino translations of our scripts and we had a good time restructuring the work together because as much as there is a kind of “tough” lingo in English that defines wiseass, hip and arch characters, there is another level you hit with Filipino tough talk, which we refer to as “astig”, which further defines the characters even more sharply. Needless to say, we were quite satisfied with our work but we shelved it immediately because we knew that there was no way on earth that a producer would touch the material or even consider it for shooting.

It was many years after that I came across Tony Gloria and we were discussing another film project, when he asked me if I had a script that I thought was good but would be considered inaccessible, as he was looking into infiltrating the indie film market in a substantial way, so I brought up Pinoy/ Blonde. To my surprise, he enjoyed it and wanted to produce it.

It looks very fresh and different for a Filipino film - was the film a deliberate attempt to challenge the perceptions of a Filipino film (both in The Philippines and abroad)?

I am very frustrated and impatient by the way that my colleagues, my fellow directors, present the Philippines to ourselves and to the rest of the world. It’'s as if Gerry de Leon, in some way Lamberto Avellana and then Lino Brocka created the template that would determine what is Filipino in both imagery and sensibility, and most Pinoy movies emerge from that template. It’'s like we'’re all in some Ford factory and all the cars we’'re creating are different versions of Ford.

There are imagistic clichés that exist without anybody challenging them. For example, a poor peasant family will be portrayed eating kamote (sweet potatoes) to underscore their poverty, when in actuality the real peasants would be eating kamote tops with their rice. And this is never challenged. Most Pinoy children in the movies talk in the singsong pattern established in the 1940s and 50s with poor imitations of Shirley Temple movies, and the horror is that this has backfired into reality and you have kids talking in this movie singsong manner because their parents find it cute, being in the movies, and encourage it. If you check out most of what is considered good acting by our most “prestigious” award-giving bodies, you will see a direct line between the acting of Vivian Leigh and Leslie Howard in Gone With The Wind as filtered through [Filipino director] Lino Brocka and it continues to this very moment. All these serious, solemn scenes between two people both gazing at the horizon and staying firmly within the frame.

I grew up in the provinces, and when I decided to do my movie “Unfaithful Wife” depicting lower middle class provincial types, I depicted the world I grew up in: young, progressive, politically aware entrepreneurs who were probably three years behind Manila in terms of fashion or stylistic sense –and many times, not really behind the times, but dressing down as a rejection of Manila standards that try too hard to be global. It was set in a roadside inn that featured grilled barbecue and a folk-singer that would sing American folk songs of the 60s. The people went around in fieras and listened to folk songs that movie-scored their lives: the effect was the same, the choice of songs were different. The reaction to the movie was, although the dramatic elements were very well received, there was a sense of “disconnect” as the audience were looking for the usual cinematic signposts typical of movies taking place in the provinces: the camisa-chino [a type of Filipino casual shirt] (de rigeur in portrayal of the lumpen), the planting and other agricultural activities, the kamote eating and the expected gauche and comedic behavior of countryside bumpkins.

So yes. I do challenge these portrayals. I also deplore the fact that most Europeans (because most Americans don’'t even watch our movies except when they are involved in the Tarantinian pursuit of the rare and the pop-recherche) expect that all Filipino stories take place in the highly exotic and photogenic squatter colonies that we share with Brazil. It'’s like the perception of American movies in the 50s that if you had to do a movie in Africa, it always happened in the jungles.

For the benefit of international viewers, could you give a little more background to the ongoing argument between Pinoy/Blonde's two main characters over the greatest ever Filipino director?

After the genius of Gerry de Leon who stopped making movies in the 60s, the two great Filipino movie directors were Lino Brocka and Ishmael Bernal. Lino traces his theatrical pedigree all the way back to radio and theater, Bernal studied film in India and, if I am not mistaken, studied under Satyajit Ray.

There is an American broadway musical by Stephen Sondheim, which is a take-off on The Frogs by Aristophanes, where the central argument is who is the greatest playwright, William Shakespeare or George Bernard Shaw? The heart or the mind? Brocka definitely represented the heart, although he was no slouch in the intellectual department; and to put that in the negative is a disservice to him. Bernal represented the mind. And again, he was no slouch in the heart department, as he was as passionate and mercurial as the best of them.

They were both concerned with the social conditions of our times, especially the effect of Ferdinand Marcos'’ dictatorship on our country throughout the 70s until he was deposed in the mid 80s. Their movies portrayed the effects of a totalitarian regime that was riding piggy-back on an even more repressive situation that existed throughout the 400 years of Spanish and then 50 years of American rule. For all practical purposes, these rules were just as totalitarian and we still haven’'t come to terms with them. Or have come to any kind of closure in this regard.

Which of the two directors would you side with?

I have had the pleasure and honour to have worked with both directors (both as an actor and as Production Designer in their films) and counted them as close friends. One can see the intelligence at work and shining through Bernie'’s work. In terms of the language and behavior, his films work almost on a documentary level. –It'’s when he tries for out and out poetic effects that his work becomes less interesting.

Lino’'s work is a lot more complex. The greatness in Lino Brocka is that he opened cinema to all of us Pinoys [Filipinos], many of which the more educated and “refined” elements who came from a university or college background would not have dared even consider going into. Before Brocka, the movies was almost limited to a kind of Bulacan “mafia” [Bulacan being a province north of Manila] which I write only in figurative terms in order to get the picture clearly across, but most of these Bulaqueños were pioneers in the film industry: from cinematographers, through sound and editing. At the same time, Lino’'s movies encapsulated the political argument against dictatorship, so whether the movie was badly made or not, a Lino Brocka movie was, the medium being the message, an articulate salvo against the existing repression.

That being said, Brocka became a political figure and, being intelligent, he manipulated this profile in order to be able to get his message across.

So in personal and artistic terms, Lino became no fun to work with after a while. The persona took over the artist and his work definitely suffered. I am always arguing against people who can'’t differentiate between the work and what he stood for. Lino has, definitely, a hefty share of cheesy movies. When we waited for an hour on a Bernie set, it was because he was trying to solve an artistic problem. On the other hand, when we waited for hours on a Lino set, it was because he was out there somewhere fighting
with the producers on some social inequality problem or marketing. I think it’'s obvious in Pinoy/ Blonde, that I’'m squarely in Bernie'’s camp.

There seem to be a lot of cameos in Pinoy/Blonde which may go unnoticed by non-Filipino viewers - could you tell us a little more about who these actors are?

This is a hard question to answer because practically all the supporting actors, the bits, the cameos and the walk-ons are all in one way or another solid and leading members of the film industry. Even the gang
members are top stunt men and special effects people.

Eddie Garcia, who is the black leather jacketed gangster who sings and ends up dead on a toilet seat, is one of our premiere directors and actors and I have had the pleasure to work with him in a bit part in a comedy gangster picture. When I asked him if he would join us, he brought in a full set of gold teeth and his whole wardrobe that he had worked out. Even if in the script this was a cameo, he had really worked it out as if it was a major project. This is when I realized that many of the actors that worked (all of them for free) on this project, accepted because it gave them a chance to fool around and do something they weren'’t normally associated with in their professional lives. Either that, or a chance to spoof themselves.

We read somewhere that the budget was 1 M Philippines pesos which seems very low given the quality of the film - is that true?

Yes it’'s true. One million pesos, which is 20,000 US dollars. We approached it as an indie film and most of the people that came on board knew what we were going for. So I had to choose a location that would
serve as a location for pretty much all of the movie. We only had one day in another part of town, a stone’'s throw away from the original set, where we shot another five or six sequences. I don’'t remember now, but we shot for about fourteen days (which is long for an indie film) and had one day of pick ups in a studio for necessary close ups that I failed to shoot because we were rushing so much.

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2008 at 10:50 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: Jan 27, 2008 at 10:46 AM »
How does being a film lecturer as well as film director change your approach to both activities?

Obviously my lectures are tempered by actual practice (which can be brutal to artistic intentions and conceits) and my directing is informed by my lectures. But understanding can be quite a curse and a heavy burden.

Do you feel that your approach to film is strongly influenced by your roots in Bacolod, or that this has meant your films are quite different from a filmmaker from Manila?

I think I may have answered most of this in the second question. I don'’t just come from the province, I actually live in it on a day to day basis. Many people in Manila have roots in the provinces and they migrate to the big city and become metropolitans complete with metropolitan concerns and
metropolitan world views.

Manila is such a narcissistic entity. Egocentric is more like it. They think the Philippines begins and ends with them. Which is why they are always totally confounded when political results show that the rest of the country don'’t agree with their political choices or view of things. The same goes with the movie-making. There is such a Manila centeredness to all things done there which may be a good thing if they had a strong intrinsic identity to begin with, but unfortunately that town is such a poor relation to everything they strive to be (poor ersatz Hollywood, ersatz Paris, ersatz New York, ersatz Bollywood, ersatz Singapore, Korea, Taiwan - the whole global Asian phenomenon; most Filipino actors and creative types in advertising all now look like Korean pop stars and Hong Kong pedestrians) that it gets to be quite embarrassing. I realize I might be coming off as a wannabe who never made it in the big time. But it'’s not so. Been there, done that. I’'ve collected my medals and my retrospectives and moved on. There is good reason for us non-Manilans to refer to it as The City That Does Not Work.

What are your thoughts on the current film scene in The Philippines?

Bleak. Cinema is a marriage of technology and art. As in the rest of the world (mostly Hollywood) everybody here is fascinated by the new technology. Few have anything interesting or perspicacious to say. The young filmmakers concentrate so much on the technology. There is a new priesthood with its arcane and its own Latin: mostly the serial numbers of the latest digital cameras. It’'s a little ridiculous. They ignore the fact that film is using the technology in service of ideas. I’'ve come to reject the technobabble and start using gibberish when confronted with it.

The directors of the 80s and 90s used to discuss their stories and how they were going to present them. The directors of today discuss their shots. It’s like being in a convention of journeymen. So masturbatory. So boring.

We used to make all these interesting films and we were our biggest audience (more Filipinos saw Pinoy movies than they saw ET or the first Star Wars) because we were saying really incisive things about ourselves, and movies are such a narcissistic enterprise– so of course we were fascinated about the things we were finding out about ourselves. Now, we don’'t have anything to say, much less anything new or penetrating about ourselves. I suspect we don'’t like what we see about ourselves.

How do you see the Filipino film scene in the broader context of contemporary Asian, and contemporary international, cinema?

A total waste. We taught many of these Asian countries what they know about cinema back in the 40s and 50s. Now they only show Pinoy movies as objects of curiosity. In a Tarantino/geek kind of way.

What is your next project?

No movie projects. I’'m working on two major works for the theatre almost simultaneously right now. One of them is an opera version of my first movie. I guess I’'m starting to cannibalize myself in order to stay in the business.

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2008 at 10:48 AM by keating »

Offline cathyroseproximo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 05:21 AM »
this would have been too late for me because i saw you people wrote this a while back 2003... and its what.......2008!

i just watched scorpio nights a week ago... and it never went out of my mind since then im like wanting to share how good that movie is...

the movie was released the same year i was born...

i only borrowed the vcd from the neighborhood and it came all the way from hong kong...

i really wanna get the uncut version in anyhow

i watched it with my husband and i was wowwwed by daniel fernando and he was wowwwed by anna marie gutierrez....

hope its not too late for me to receive a reply from somebody who were able to watched it and let me know how to get a the uncut version of it

thanks lot!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: Feb 24, 2008 at 10:12 AM »
Welcome aboard, Cathy.

The uncut vcd version of SCORPIO NIGHTS was released several years ago. It's kinda weird since the dvd that Regal Home Video released was the butchered one. You can't differentiate on the label also if you will purchase the vcd now since you really don't know if its the mangled or the uncut version.

I guess it depends on your luck whether you will get the complete one. The complete 35mm print was on the archive of Cinema One which I saw on the late 90's in Greenbelt Cinema when Peque was still a member of Director's Guild of the Philippines.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008 at 10:13 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: Feb 29, 2008 at 06:35 PM »
PEQUE GALLAGA on Mitch Valdes nakedness in ORO PLATA MATA:

"Mitch and I fought. There was a time in our lives when we were close. Mitch is one of the women I've loved. We're ok now but we fought big at that time and then she came out in that big interview that I fooled her, etcetera, etcetera. But the truth was when I wrote that scene for Mitch, I told her , Mitch you're gonna be naked. You've got the best boobs in the world. I want you like Annie Fannie, kill the water with your boobs floating there like two battleships. She knew from the very beginning and she claimed that I exploited her  and I never told her and that really hurt because I hav never fooled any of my actors ever!"
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2008 at 06:36 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: Apr 02, 2008 at 07:48 AM »
A tribute to Peque Gallaga by Patrick Flores

It is becoming more apparent each passing day that one of the reasons for the seemingly irreversible decline of the Philippine film industry is its stunted audience base. An audience spoilt by the market for an inordinate amount of time cannot simply be asked to reform and mend its ways on short notice. As it had taken years for it to be inured to its current habits, so it will entail cycles of seasons for it to change at some radical level. And so, no matter how the industry blames its public for not patronizing the good films they produce, which are few and far between, or appeal for a turnaround in its taste, there will be negligible consequence. The monster it has created knows full well that the call is hollow, totally without credence.

Still, it is the prospects of a critical audience that keep some souls in the scene hoping for better days in the near future. A well-conceived curricular proposal for media studies in high school and college and a sustained practice of independent commentary in the media are only two of the possible options that could be explored to hack the dilemma tormenting the community. Another platform is the network of alternative public fora in which significant films are screened outside the commercial circuit, or at least its routine or repertoire, and viewers are gathered so that they could talk about how the cinema shapes their social experience. These instances inevitably initiate a predisposition of critical spectatorship, enliven expectations, and develop consciousness for film that might lie beyond the auspices of commodity exchange.

This seems to be the mission of the Pelikula at Kultura project, undertaken by the Cinema Committee of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) under the guidance of its outgoing Head, the ever-gracious actress and media executive Boots Anson Roa and by the Mowelfund Film Institute, of which Anson Roa is also executive director. The onus of the undertaking, however, falls on the shoulders of the indefatigable Nick Deocampo, filmmaker and film historian. Last Saturday, I was in Bacolod to participate in one of its forays, which was devoted this time to one of the most innovative filmmakers of the eighties, Peque Gallaga, whose body of work is fertile ground for germinal ruminations on Philippine ideology, sexuality, terror, and fantasy. That the subject is a true son of Negros carries a different charge and infuses distinct energy into this all-important task of forging a national audience that is open to the world and rooted in locale.

Cinema laureate

The semi-retrospective for Gallaga, who incidentally has been chosen as the laureate for cinema of the Cultural Center of the Philippines’ revived Gawad CCP Para sa Sining and elected vice-head of the Cinema Committee of the NCCA, consisted of the screening of some of his better-known output, workshops on some aspects of filmmaking like direction and scriptwriting (Gallaga is engaged in both), and lectures on the contexts within which Gallaga’s filmography moves very deftly. It traveled to Silay and then to Iloilo. Similar programs are being contemplated for the retrospectives of Nora Aunor in Bicol, Vilma Santos in Batangas, and Fernando Poe Jr. in Pangasinan.

I was invited to speak on the relationship between the films of Gallaga and Philippine history at the West Negros College before an assembly alerted to issues and appreciative of frank conversations. I discussed what could be considered the auteur’s trilogy on history or war by way of Oro, Plata, Mata (1982), Virgin Forest (1985), and Isang Araw, Walang Diyos (1989). Two Negros families threatened by the Japanese invasion flee to the forest and defend themselves against the imperial forces and the revolt of their slaves. A mestizo, a fisherman, and a concubine are captured by a band of American soldiers in pursuit of Emilio Aguinaldo; they are aided by a gang of mercenaries, the Macabebes of Pampanga, and other Filipino middlemen in this mission. A leader of a cult named Papa Mundo of Wakwak tries to reclaim his children in the custody of nuns after the 1986 rebellion in EDSA; in the course of the struggle, the military intervenes and unmasks his charisma and potency. These scenarios pave the path of Gallaga’s excursion into history.

This occasion gave me the opportunity as a critic to revisit these titles, evaluate their merits in hindsight and within a more reflexive frames of reference, and open lines of dialogue with Gallaga himself whose willingness to confront contentions is admirable. It was also a very instructive exercise as I was able to probe the many nuances and inflections of these works and the density of the layers of historical ramifications involved in the criticism of the oeuvre. The well-known writer Alfred Yuson was in the same panel; he gave a lyrical and poetic overview of the depth of Gallaga’s cinematic achievement. This lecture was preceded by a screening of Oro, Plata, Mata in one of the theaters at the Robinsons Movieworld, the largest mall in the laidback city, hangout of the youth who were not even born yet when the honoree started to make films. There Gallaga, as he introduced the film, was choked with emotion; he had long wished for the magnum opus to unreel in the place that had inspired it in the first place and he would now bear witness to how his film has aged, outliving many of its personnel and outgrown by some of its beholders. Attending the event were some of the natives of the province, members of the elite, who had helped the production see its aspirations through. The director was profusely grateful for their generosity, without which the film could not have been made within the budget that it was given by the Experimental Cinema of the Philippines (around P3m at that time). After 22 years, the film remains “golden and grisly.”

Cinematography in sepia

But Gallaga was also apologetic for the kind of print that unfolded that night, a copy lent by ABS-CBN. Its quality is discernibly poor, with Rody Lacap’s highly evocative cinematography reduced to sepia. We were told that another print exists, but it is all jumbled up. This brought to the surface the perennial problem of archiving, a vexing constraint that is one of the impediments of a sustainable national cinema program for the immense audience across the archipelago.

Asked if he would ever return to the salt mines, Gallaga responded that he had never left filmmaking; he is in Negros to carry out the mission of making filmmakers. There are also plans for him to helm a film on the Lipa miracle if plans do not miscarry and, we surmise, if the director, who has experienced fatigue brought about by the callousness of the commerce, feels that the climate is more clement for his art to prosper.

We are sure that with the screenwriter and academic Clodualdo del Mundo Jr. as the captain of the Cinema Committee of the NCCA, a dynamic cinema appreciation agenda will emerge and motivate a generation of viewers to assert their encompassing imaginations against the myopic delusions of brokers. The day will come when the local trade comes out of the cave of the cult and transforms itself from a national fans club of stars and soap operas manufactured by studios of overweening profiteers into worthy children of cinema’s vast and luminous light. That vision will then be the moving image of our future and the picture of our motion forward.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2008 at 07:52 AM by keating »

Offline SalSa

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: May 10, 2008 at 08:21 AM »
Isn't Scorpio Nights a really adult movie (XXX)? I still remember the first time they show it back in our town. Every sex scenes are for real. They cut it and show all those part usually after the movie, though.

The thing is, it is hard to get a copy of that version anymore.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008 at 04:53 PM by SalSa »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: May 11, 2008 at 12:29 AM »
The man is busy conducting directing and acting workshops in his hometown in Bacolod. The script of Oro's sequel is probably dusting now on his library.

Offline sosy_high

• Collector
  • Missing you...
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: May 12, 2008 at 01:41 PM »
Three phases of the exodus scene of the Lorenzo and Ojeda clan in Gallaga's ORO PLATA MATA:

This is the best scene in the entire movie. Just seen it again last week.

The last 20 minutes of the film was intense. The 10 minute gun fight scene was very great and the tension was excellent.

I still can't stand the gory scene like yung tinatahi ni Dr. Russell yung mga soldiers.

An Unforgettable film, nonetheless.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: May 12, 2008 at 06:25 PM »
The gun fight scenes were inspired by BADLANDS.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: May 26, 2008 at 05:38 PM »