Author Topic: The Peque Gallaga Thread  (Read 124205 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Peque Gallaga Thread
« on: Mar 21, 2003 at 05:02 PM »
Since ORO PLATA MATA celebrate its 20th anniversary, it is now the time to honor in my opinion the local counterpart of Steven Spielberg.....MR. PEQUE GALLAGA.

From his directorial debut, Binhi...to his epic masterpiece, "ORO PLATA MATA" to BAD BANANAS SA PUTING TABING...Virgin Forest...Scorpio Nights....Unfaithful Wife....Once Upon A time...the Manananggal episode in Shake Rattle & Roll... ISANG ARAW WALANG DIYOS....Tiyanak....Aswang....

His films are always excellent in terms of craftmanship and technical aspects. I do hope that there will be a sequel to "oro, plata, mata" and make it as his comeback movie.

He has done also some great mini-series on television particularly BORACAY AND CEBU. Also directed back on the late 80's about the Filipinos in the U.S. via Apple Pie, Patis, atbp.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2006 at 01:29 PM by keating »

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Peque Gallaga
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2003 at 06:39 AM »
Boracay was such a big deal then for us since they shot it in our province.

As a kid, I always looked forward to his sci-fi/fantasy flicks. Up to now, I'm still spooked by Tiyanak. I can't see that film without dreading what could be under my bed.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
THE PEQUE GALLAGA THREAD
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2003 at 08:12 AM »
really? would like to buy it too pero takot ako eh.  ;D

that line too. it even inspired a different movie altogether.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:THE PEQUE GALLAGA THREAD
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2003 at 08:19 AM »
really? would like to buy it too pero takot ako eh.  ;D

that line too. it even inspired a different movie altogether.

But knowing Regal...they always release the dvd format of their movies in bare-bones edition. I haven't see any of their movies release packed with special features.
Kaya wala pa akong nabibili sa mga movies nila.
Even Scorpio Nights yata wala features.  ???

That line became a smash hit back in 1988.

TIYANAK was released in theatres September of 1988.

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2003 at 08:22 AM »
SCORPIO NIGHTS is one great bold movie made by Peque.

The "controversial" Scorpio Nights 2 (Joyce Jimenez) in my own view is TAME when compared to the original.

Scorpio Nights' sex scenes are MORE EXPLICIT, LONGER and MORE REALISTIC. The sequel's sex scenes are MORE ARTISTIC.

It is too bad that Scorpio Nights still has not gotten the big video treatment it deserves.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
THE PEQUE GALLAGA THREAD
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2003 at 08:31 AM »
it's sad that our film producers are not that globally-oriented. there's a lucrative market for Filipino films outside of the country via DVDs but they do not give them much importance.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2003 at 08:31 AM »
SCORPIO NIGHTS according to Noel, is Peque's best film.

It's number 3 on my lists of Peque's best films.

I still have the complete vhs tape of that movie which was taken from the complete version of the betamax tape released 1984. The current vcd release has two scenes cut in the original version. I haven't see the dvd format of it.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2003 at 12:06 PM by keating »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2003 at 01:36 AM »
They just aired Oro Plata Mata on Cinema One, and I finally saw it for the first time. I understand that the print with Cinema One is extremely disjointed. I also understand that the original cut of the film ran up to six hours. Understandably, these problems in continuity make the film suffer as a whole.

But what I saw seemed like the rough draft for one of the greatest, and maybe even the greatest Filipino movie ever made. I hope that all the legal problems clear up and that Mr. Gallaga will be able to raise enough money to restore the film.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2003 at 01:09 PM »
The five hour version is gone.  The most complete version and the one Peque is satisfied with is a three hour plus version.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2003 at 10:06 PM »
They just aired Oro Plata Mata on Cinema One, and I finally saw it for the first time. I understand that the print with Cinema One is extremely disjointed. I also understand that the original cut of the film ran up to six hours. Understandably, these problems in continuity make the film suffer as a whole.

But what I saw seemed like the rough draft for one of the greatest, and maybe even the greatest Filipino movie ever made. I hope that all the legal problems clear up and that Mr. Gallaga will be able to raise enough money to restore the film.

This is perhaps Mr. Gallaga's best film so far. I hope he gets back to his original roots in doing movies not the sleazy sexy movies or the horror genre that he monopolized in the late 80's and early 90's.

Just the opening party scene in long tracking shot in "oro, plata, mata" will leave you breathless!  8)

And if you delete all the sex or controversial scenes...it will remain a timeless or classic movie for many years to come...even my grandchildren can still look up to this epic movie.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2006 at 12:22 PM by keating »

Offline milkeemee

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2003 at 09:02 PM »
I remember that I was a senior highschool student when I watched Oro in the province ( last full show) . I was with fifteen others ( classmates/ batchmates) and it was the first time that I went into a  lengthy film discourse with others after watching the movie.  It was a real treat because  the movie sort of opened our cinematic eyes. Oro for me is on top in terms of grandeur. Acting-wise, Joel Torre was still raw but he showed loads of potential. The rest of the cast performed almost perfectly.  It is disappointing to note that in the recent years, no movie of the same magnitude as Oro has been produced.  One important lesson here is that there is really a need for the government to help the industry by activating  ECP if not creating a new outfit  of the same nature.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2003 at 09:20 PM »
Could it be true that Joel Torre's voice was dubbed in "ORO, PLATA, MATA"?

It's true that no Filipino movie could equal the epic, scope and grandeur of "oro, plata, mata"!

Can you imagine if this movie has been digitally remastered complete with sound and color plus interviews with the whole cast and crew?  8)
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2003 at 09:39 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2003 at 09:56 PM »
Yes, I think it was. From what I've heard, there was no choice but for another actor to dub his voice because he had a very thick ilonggo accent then.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2003 at 10:50 PM »
I heard that Oro Plata Mata is a six-hour movie, which is why it's `parang bitin' (not in terms of its conclusion which is perfectly okay), but I have this difficulty of analyzing Kuh Ledesma's character. I asked those who had also seen the movie, and the same question kept on popping up "Ano yung character ni Kuh Ledesma dun?"

Maybe you could give opinions on this one. Since it is unllikely that Peque Gallaga would reissue the complete version of the film in video...

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 12:12 AM »
The plight of Gallaga's Oro, Plata, Mata clearly shows the dismal state of our film industry. We don't even have a working organization that is tasked to safeguard these cinematic treasures.

A lot of great filipino films have already been lost to time, misuse and neglect. I hope the government comes to its senses and set up a viable organization before these other masterpieces are lost permanently.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 02:32 AM »
it's sad that our film producers are not that globally-oriented. there's a lucrative market for Filipino films outside of the country via DVDs but they do not give them much importance.

Quite possibly the single biggest oversight/failing of producers is to be aware of the possible revenues in the global market. (Which I think could also help the "art" side of local films immensely). And to think they're supposed to be moneymen.

On Topic: Scorpio Nights , Gangland (or was this really directed by Erik Matti, who also directed 12:00 BTW even if the credit went to uber-hack Augusto salvador) and  Virign Forest are my favorite Peques although I haven't seen the last  in awhile and could be dated.  

Are any of his pre-Lore pop movies any good? That martial arts flick with Richard Gomez,Kid Hwag Kang Susuko in particular.  Or was that him at all?
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2003 at 02:35 AM by X44 »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 08:43 AM »

Quite possibly the single biggest oversight/failing of producers is to be aware of the possible revenues in the global market. (Which I think could also help the "art" side of local films immensely). And to think they're supposed to be moneymen.

On Topic: Scorpio Nights , Gangland (or was this really directed by Erik Matti, who also directed 12:00 BTW even if the credit went to uber-hack Augusto salvador) and  Virign Forest are my favorite Peques although I haven't seen the last  in awhile and could be dated.  

Are any of his pre-Lore pop movies any good? That martial arts flick with Richard Gomez,Kid Hwag Kang Susuko in particular.  Or was that him at all?

What gives with Gangland? Did he really direct it? It was so not Peque. The framing, the pace, everything about it was different I could not recognize a single element that would identify it as Peque's work.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 10:52 AM »
Yes, I think it was. From what I've heard, there was no choice but for another actor to dub his voice because he had a very thick ilonggo accent then.

From what my cousins told me who knows the history of ORO
they even attend the screening of Oro back in the now ghostly Manila Film Center... :o

Albert Martinez was the original choice of Peque, but Albert refused to do the movie because it's on location in Negros...until now Albert Martinez regret not doing the movie.

Albert Martinez loss is Joel Torre's gain.

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2006 at 12:24 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 11:00 AM »
I heard that Oro Plata Mata is a six-hour movie, which is why it's `parang bitin' (not in terms of its conclusion which is perfectly okay), but I have this difficulty of analyzing Kuh Ledesma's character. I asked those who had also seen the movie, and the same question kept on popping up "Ano yung character ni Kuh Ledesma dun?"

Maybe you could give opinions on this one. Since it is unllikely that Peque Gallaga would reissue the complete version of the film in video...

Kuh Ledesma's character was a ghost sex slave parang comfort woman siguro, who would appear every time a bad omen will happen on the "mata" section of the movie.

Since Peque re-cut the movie to only three hours, her scenes were included.

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2006 at 12:25 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 11:14 AM »

Bro indie boi, from what my cousins told me who knows the history of my favorite PINOY FLICK OF ALL TIME... :D

they even attend the screening of Oro back in the now ghostly Manila Film Center... :o

Albert Martinez was the original choice of Peque, but Albert refused to do the movie because it's on location in Negros...until now Albert Martinez regret not doing the movie!

Albert Martinez loss is Joel Torre's gain.

You're right, Joel has a very thick Ilonggo accent...even his voice in SRR 1, The Graduates, you can recognized it that it is not his voice.

I wonder in Unfaithful Wife?  ???

I read something about Joel Torre's voice in Unfaithful Wife but I can't remember it now as it was so long ago. But if i'm not mistaken this was the first movie where Torre used his original voice. Again, this is a vague recollection kaya hindi 100% sure.

I've only seen one movie at the Film Center. It was the first MIFF and my dad got us tickets to attend the screening of A Portrait of The Artist as a Filipino. I think this was directed by Gerry de Leon but I'm not sure. Great movie! It was a great creative commitment for them to use Joaquin's English script.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 11:28 AM »
You're lucky indie boi because you had the chance to watch during that event which I now consider "FILM HISTORY"!

We were not allowed to join my cousins during that time...I was in grade 2.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 11:41 AM »
You're lucky indie boi because you had the chance to watch during that event which I now consider "FILM HISTORY"!

We were not allowed to join my cousins during that time...I was in grade 2.

May I ask how old you are now? I think I was in that same grade when we watched that movie. Naka-shorts pa ako nun.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 11:47 AM »
I think we are both MARTIAL LAW BABIES, Bro Indie boi!

Minus mo na lang pre, and you'll get my age!  ;D

By the way, I've ordered thru my friend in the U.S. the original vhs of VIRGIN FOREST, UNFAITHFUL WIFE  and ONCE UPON A TIME in regalfilms.com.  :D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 11:55 AM »
I think we are both MARTIAL LAW BABIES, Bro Indie boi!

Minus mo na lang pre, and you'll get my age!  ;D

By the way, I've ordered thru my friend in the U.S. the original vhs of VIRGIN FOREST, UNFAITHFUL WIFE  and ONCE UPON A TIME in regalfilms.com.  :D

Almost the same age nga tayo pre! The only advantage I got was that my dad was working for the government then and we lived in Pasay City which was near the Film Center kaya mas may ready access kami sa tickets.  ;D

Cool titles! Of the three titles, I've only seen Unfaithful Wife pero hindi ko na matandaan yung movie sa tagal, hehe.  

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 12:13 PM »
Some of Peque's movies changed after he team-up with Lore Reyes.  Less impact!

But i'm not saying  that they are not good.

I like VIRGIN FOREST, SCORPIO NIGHTS, UNFAITHFUL WIFE and
 ORO, PLATA, MATA (the long-tracking shot at the party scene was the best and awesome, breathless!)

You can recognized easily by watching those flicks, GALLAGANG-GALLAGA!  8)
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2003 at 06:37 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 12:41 PM »
I remember this interview Gallaga did for a TV Show. He was recounting the shoot for Scorpio Nights. Gallaga had a stroke while filming the movie. But he was adamant to finish the shoot. So what he did was to direct the whole movie while lying down on a fold-a-bed. He said he fondly remembers giving Anna Marie Guttierez and Daniel Fernando instructions for their pumping scene while he was lying prone on the bed, gyrating like a beached whale to keep time with his own instructions.   ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 01:13 PM »
He suffered a stroke while doing SCORPIO NIGHTS? ???

Kaya pala his succeding films were less bold in nature compared to SCORPIO NIGHTS.

VIRGIN FOREST was a historical drama with of course some skin exposure from Sarsi Emmanuel,
UNFAITHFUL WIFE, drama, ONCE UPON A TIME with Lore Reyes, fantasy, KID HUWAG KANG SUSUKO, action,

TIYANAK...horror

and no. 2  on my lists of favorites...ISANG ARAW WALANG DIYOS...back to epic.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2003 at 06:44 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 01:18 PM »
He suffered a stroke while doing SCORPIO NIGHTS? ???

Kaya pala his succeding films were less bold in nature compared to SCORPIO NIGHTS.

VIRGIN FOREST was a historical drama with of course some skin exposure from Sarsi Emmanuel,
UNFAITHFUL WIFE, drama, ONCE UPON A TIME with Lore Reyes, fantasy, KID HUWAG KANG SUSUKO, action

and no. 3 on my lists of favorites...ISANG ARAW WALANG DIYOS...back to epic.

His health problem is actually the reason why he started teaming up with Lore Reyes. I think Scorpio Nights was the last movie he did alone.

Virgin Forest!! I forgot that I actually saw that movie. Four times to boot! My mind kind of blanked there for a moment.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 01:25 PM »
He should be careful now about his health, kaya pala mataba siya.  ;D (sorry...direk)

His solo movies have great impact compared with his collaboration with Lore Reyes.

About Virgin Forest...remember that scene where Sarsi Emmanuel was tied to the tree and men started to make love to her so that the late Miguel Rodriguez and Abel Jurado managed to escape?  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2003 at 06:24 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 27, 2003 at 02:25 PM »
He should careful now about his health, kaya pala mataba siya.  ;D (sorry...direk)

His solo movies have great impact compared with his collaboration with Lore Reyes.

About Virgin Forest...remember that scene where Sarsi Emmanuel was tied to the tree and men started to make love to her so that the late Miguel Rodriguez and Abel Jurado managed to escape?  ;D

I do remember that. Actually Pen Medina was one of the rapists. I consider him one of our best character actors. I had the pleasure of meeting him and his son during the first premiere of Rizal during the Philippine centennial.