Author Topic: where to rent in alabang?  (Read 11722 times)

Offline bunkieboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
where to rent in alabang?
« on: Mar 26, 2003 at 10:53 PM »
the shops i have seen here so far usually rent out fakes.

anyone know a shop that rents out real R1 and R3 dvds in the area?

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re:where to rent in alabang?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2003 at 10:11 PM »
wala na bang rentals in the area?

Offline nicomd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2003 at 04:30 PM »
If you are willing to go a little further to Las Pinas, VideoCity in SM Southmall now rents out DVDs. Dami titles, almost everything you see in Astrovision. Region 3 nga lang lahat so don't look for R1s. P40 per DVD rent. Not bad but most titles are overnight only.

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003 at 07:32 PM »
which shop rent out fakes bunkieboy? are we thinkimmg of the same one ::)? in casa susana arcade. if so, thats the reason i stopped renting from them. id rather just buy some myself >:(

Offline chelsea

• Apprentice
  • la-di-da
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003 at 12:41 PM »
Hi Paltik!
Sent you a PM.  :)

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003 at 05:36 PM »
Try VidStar at Casa Susana, Alabang Town Center. You just have to know what's fake & what's not though.

Offline bunkieboy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2003 at 03:59 PM »
vidstar is notorious for having mostly if not all pirated dvds. used to rent there before i started collecting. bad selection to boot. that is one of the reasons i started collecting. most of their dvds also skip.

Offline marty_e

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2003 at 03:27 PM »
I just moved to Alabang from Ortigas and it's clear to me that that's what the area lacks. Given the number of DVD aficionados here, maybe someone would like to start a business like this... ;) Vidmax in Ortigas is a great model for efficient delivery and pickup.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: where to rent in alabang?
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2004 at 01:36 PM »
Vidstar? is that the one near ATC? i usually pass by that establishment, i never knew they rent fakes. sayang naman... nasa exclusive location pa naman sila and all they do is trick their current and prospective costumers. i was having thoughts pa naman to look into their store. ngayon hindi na.

are there any more "decent" place to rent in the south? (in particular Alabang, BF Paranaque and LAs Pinas)

Offline chelsea

• Apprentice
  • la-di-da
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2004 at 02:53 PM »
If you haven't noticed by now, DVD rental establishments here in the Philippines are a thing of the past.  Even Vidmax in Ortigas has shut down.  The few left open are probably just waiting for their lease contracts to expire. 

I should know. I once had 4 legitimate video rental stores (since Betamax,  VHS,  laserdisc days).  Hardly anyone rents dvds anymore, since pirated ones can be bought  for below P100.  It is impossible to rent out legitimate (Region 3) dvds and expect to make a profit.  It's a losing proposition.

Suggestion: Just buy original dvds, or borrow them from your friends.  Astrovision sells region 3 dvds.  Some stores secretly sell Region 1 dvds.  They are as illegal (to sell or rent) in this country as pirated dvds.

You can try Video City, but they specialize in VCDs. If anyone knows of a dvd rental store that rents out purely originals, please post it here.

Thanks!

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2004 at 04:27 PM »
i dont mind renting out pirated since whenever i buy them, they just almost always end up in the bodega or just plain given away. i fnd it more practical to just rent some for less than half the price. sana lang the video stores allow a longer period para sa customers since mababa lang naman ang value ng items.

i understand fully what the rental owners are going through. especially with our governments "expertise" i ::) in handling these things. quite simply, same with our gun business, once the government's implementation of its rules and regulations get "out of sync", they are slowly killing the business. that is why these establishments aren't making profits like they should be. my respect goes to the owners who are still here after all these years.

a warm hello to chelsea too, if you remember me.  ;)

Offline chelsea

• Apprentice
  • la-di-da
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2004 at 05:26 PM »
Hi Paltik.  :)
Yes of course I remember you.
Sent you a P.M.
Best regards!

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2004 at 01:25 AM »
a good reason to rent out (like what i do) pdisks , is to see if a movie is worth buying. if i buy a pdisk and like it, i would then order one from amazon,parc, or benny. otherwise, the pdisk would just end up in the trash or given away. i would have saved P30 that way.  :)

Offline nicomd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2005 at 11:23 AM »
Video City in ATC (near cinemas) rent out orig R3 DVDs at ONLY P25 each, but they are mostly old titles. Most are blockbuster titles though. They occasionally, but rarely, come out with some newer DVDs. Among the newer DVDs I saw being rented are Shrek 2 and Anacondas. (not bad for P25!)

The people in the store are actually friendly. They usually tell you which are the latest releases. I asked them why they don't usually release new DVDs for rent, and I was informed that "konti pa lang daw kasi ang market", and most still rent VCDs. So those from the South, rent na kayo sa ATC, and kulitin nyo once in a while re: DVD rentals, hoping that they will add to their shelves soon.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2005 at 11:28 AM by nicomd »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2005 at 10:02 PM »
Actually, i buy from Video City ATC, coz their DVD selection is wider and cheaper than Tower. Very nice people din. As in mapapabili ka.  Would you imagine 2001: A Space Odyssey for only 299? snap case pa!

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 03:59 PM »
I've always wondered why people here in the Philippines would go into DVD renting business.  If I was in Europe or US where there's less people with "ghetto" mentality then I'd do it.  I mean, what's stopping from someone from stealing those rented DVDs?  I can imagine one kid renting 10 DVDs and just keep them.

Sad to say, I had an uncle who visited us in the US.  He went to the local public library, rented out a bunch of books that he like and took it back to the Philippines.  He showed no remorse and proud of how he beat the system.  That's the kind of ghetto mentality that leads me to think that DVD renting business here just won't work.

As someone here has said already, why rent DVDs for P40 when you could buy them for P70 (no box) at Quiapo?  There's only a few of us, DVD enthusiasts, who prefer originals.  People just swap DVDs with their group of friends, they have access to more titles than any DVD rental place could offer plus they get to keep their DVDs for multiple days and free.

In the UK DVD's at the local blockbuster are available at the same time as the ones available for retail.  I don't know how they do it maybe they have an arrangement with the companies that release the DVD's, they usually have one type of DVD for rental and one for retail.  So you don't have to compete for the DVD's in the rental shop everytime you go to the store you are assured that titles that have been newly released will be there, they even give a guarantee that if the new release DVD you are looking for is not in the shop your next DVD rental is free.  For major dvd releases they have up to 100 copies of the movies in one store once the demand for the movie goes down the DVD's are sold at discount prices.......

The nearest rental shop I remember which actually had a decent number of titles R1 & R3 titles is the one in Zapote yung dating manager or owner alam ko eh pinoydvd member......

Offline nicomd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2005 at 06:48 PM »
I noticed that Video City in SM Southmall have started renting out recent original DVD releases (for only P25!). Among the titles I have seen are Constantine (2-discs), Incredibles (2-discs), Miss Congeniality 2, First Daughter, Flight of the Phoenix, Shark Tale, Pacifier, Elektra, and National Treasure.

Somehow, I'm now having second thoughts buying DVDs even if they are on sale.