Author Topic: NBA 2011  (Read 487915 times)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NBA 2011
« Reply #570 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 04:38 PM »
Yeah, but it's all good. Choking as a player and choking as a team usually has different results. I guess Celtics players know that now.  ;D

Haha!!   Kobe would have shot 50-60% and lost and Im sure he would still be labeled as a choker.   He's such a polarizing figure that his bad shooting in a series in which his team won and was named MVP is topic.  Even the great MJ has a bad shooting series in his last Finals.

Doesnt matter though.  Despite clunkers, they still won.  ;D ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #571 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 04:53 PM »
not sure of out of topic but for me the real choke machine is chris webber. i dunnon with this guy but eversince that booboo in his amateur career, he just seem to choke when the game is on the line and when things really matters
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline adyocampo

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #572 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 05:27 PM »
not sure of out of topic but for me the real choke machine is chris webber. i dunnon with this guy but eversince that booboo in his amateur career, he just seem to choke when the game is on the line and when things really matters

agree  :)

lot of pressure on franchise players, until they win a championship their out of this world salary will never be justified. cant help but to call them chokers  ;D

Offline T33K0Y

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #573 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 08:46 PM »
agree  :)

lot of pressure on franchise players, until they win a championship their out of this world salary will never be justified. cant help but to call them chokers  ;D

Add Vince Carter to the list.  ;D

Offline iggi_08

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #574 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 09:03 PM »
^
Don't forget Joe Johnson!  ;D
"Have faith in the Yankees, my son."

- Ernest Hemingway in The Old Man and the Sea

Offline kimpOy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #575 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 09:11 PM »
first thing i remember when choked players are mentioned is john starks, rememeber game 7 1995 nba finals, starks shot blanks beyonf the arch...

and siyempre choke artist in this era... is for me.. Lebron James. no killer instict, got swept in 2007 finals. never reached finals again with cleveland, got  caliber players as team mates, got beat badly this east semi finals, they are leading 2-1 with homecourt advantage, but lost 3 games in a  row, also same thing happen last year in the east finals versus orlando.

now he cannot get that monkey off his shoulders, because he chose to be the highest paid 2nd option.

Offline adyocampo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #576 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 09:14 PM »
Top ten highest paid NBA players in the 2009-2010 season

10. Michael Redd, Milwaukee Bucks – 17,040,000
  9.Rashard Lewis, Orlando Magic – 18,876,000
  8.Ray Allen, Boston Celtics – 19,766,860
  7.Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics – 19,795,712
  6.Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks – 19,795,714
  5.Shaquille O’Neal, Cleveland Cavaliers – 20,000,000
  4.Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs – 22,183,218
  3.Jermaine O’Neal, Miami Heat – 22,995,000
  2.Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers – 23,034,375
  1.Tracy McGrady – 23,329,561

i would agree to number 2,4,6,7 but the rest, oh well what a waste. ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #577 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 09:20 PM »
Add Vince Carter to the list.  ;D

at least eh nag champion sa slam dunk hahahahahaha

but yes, when the going gets tough nawawala din ito
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline adyocampo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #578 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 10:51 PM »
Tmac just signed with detroit

Offline XanderCage

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #579 on: Aug 08, 2010 at 11:55 PM »
ano ba definition nyo ng choke? so what if kobe shot 6-24, he had a bad shooting night. its not like he stopped shooting/playing defense/rebounding or what not. he hit a lot of free throws in the 4th, rebounded the ball and played defense to make up for his bad shooting.
kung tumanga na lang sya, di naglaro ng maayos, ayaw tumira, ayaw rumebound. yan yung definition ng choke.

Jordan had a closeout game of 14 points against the Celtics in 1986 (including 4 points in the second half), and another in the Finals shooting 5-19. Everyone remembers him hitting the game winner in 1998 to close out Utah, but few remember that Jordan missed 20 shots in that game and only had a total of 1 rebound and 1 assist.

Every superstar has bad games, even in deciding games. The difference is that the best players find a way to will their team to victory.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #580 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 01:06 AM »
I hate it when Wade and Lebron mentioned Kobe's 6-24 shooting to justify Lebron's performance in their Cavs and Celtics series. The difference was in the effort. Kobe was spent but Lebron just gave up.

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #581 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 07:20 AM »
Yeah, horrible game 5 by Bron. That wasn't a choke though; it was much worse - a sellout. Something Kobe's done too; remember Game 7 vs Phoenix in 2006?

Even the greatest ones are not immune from choking. Magic played the 84 finals with, as they say, two hands around his throat. MJ, Bird, Kareem, they all had those.

But consistent chokers, that's a different story. The ones often mentioned in this category:
- Vince
- KG
- Karl Malone
- David Robinson
- Dr. J, believe it or not

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #582 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 07:53 AM »
Speaking of choke, I can't say enough that you need to see Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs The Knicks.

Two straight playoffs series, Reggie did the unthinkable against a great defensive team (Riley's Knicks). He shut up Spike Lee and the interviews and revelations by the players themselves made it worth the download.  ;D

The most memorable choke for me was Portland's giving up a huge lead in the 4th against the Shaq/Kobe LAkers in 2000 (Western Conference Finals game 7). Hmmm...I think I remember something like that happening recently (and game 7 din sya).

Worst choke for me (as a fan), when the LAkers squandered a 24-point 3rd quarter lead against Boston in the 2008 Finals and failed to even the series at 2-2.  :'(

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #583 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 10:26 AM »
Speaking of choke, I can't say enough that you need to see Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs The Knicks.

Two straight playoffs series, Reggie did the unthinkable against a great defensive team (Riley's Knicks). He shut up Spike Lee and the interviews and revelations by the players themselves made it worth the download.  ;D

The most memorable choke for me was Portland's giving up a huge lead in the 4th against the Shaq/Kobe LAkers in 2000 (Western Conference Finals game 7). Hmmm...I think I remember something like that happening recently (and game 7 din sya).

Worst choke for me (as a fan), when the LAkers squandered a 24-point 3rd quarter lead against Boston in the 2008 Finals and failed to even the series at 2-2.  :'(

That 24-point lead squandered by the Lakers was a Finals record I believe.

But I don't think that's the worst choke job by LA.  I believe it would have to be the 1st round series against the Phoenix Suns in 2006 wherein Kobe and the Lakers lost a 3-1 lead and Phoenix then becoming only the 8th team in NBA history to rise from a 1-3 grave.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #584 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 10:32 AM »
TMac is said to have signed with the Detroit Pistons for 1 year with the veteran's minimum. 

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #585 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 11:01 AM »
 ben gordon just cant' get a break :D

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #586 on: Aug 09, 2010 at 01:16 PM »

But I don't think that's the worst choke job by LA.  I believe it would have to be the 1st round series against the Phoenix Suns in 2006 wherein Kobe and the Lakers lost a 3-1 lead and Phoenix then becoming only the 8th team in NBA history to rise from a 1-3 grave.

Oh, for a series, it would have to be Seattle's improbably loss to the Nuggets, being, I think, the first #1 seed to fall to a #8 seed. I think it never happened before in the NBA.

That loss to the Suns in 2k6 after leading 3-1, yeah, it was painful but went away along with the Celtics bitchsmacking last playoffs. But put in perspective that the powerful Phoenix(Nash, Amare, Raja Bell, Marion, Barbosa and the rest of the uptempo Suns) team should not have been down 3-1 to an LA team that boast of Smush Parker, Kwa-may Brown, Aaron McKie, Devean George and a still Raw Andrew Bynum as a supporting cast for Kobe and Odom, well, I could forgive them that. It was gonna be a fairy tale #7 defeating  #2 seed, but they gagged away the series lead.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #587 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 03:04 PM »

But I don't think that's the worst choke job by LA.  I believe it would have to be the 1st round series against the Phoenix Suns in 2006 wherein Kobe and the Lakers lost a 3-1 lead and Phoenix then becoming only the 8th team in NBA history to rise from a 1-3 grave.

Actually, if Tim Thomas hadn't tied game 6 with a 3 point shot with 6 seconds left, the Lakers would have won the series. But that Lakers team would have a hard time with the Clippers then and would be overwhelmed by the Spurs.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010 at 03:05 PM by daigoro »

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #588 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 03:54 PM »
.....along w/ Kobe!   ;D  Pau, Artest & Fisher were really the difference in Game 7.

Kobe choked? Naaah. Far from it.  Maybe he did not dominate the way Jordan did.  But choke?  I don't think so.  After missing so many baskets, remember he made an all important jumper in the 4th or was it the 3rd that gave them a 4 point cushion.  And again, sensing that he couldn't get the ball in from jumpers, he kept driving to the hoop no end, pounding on all Boston defenders thrown at him including KG, fishing for fouls and making all important free throws.  Had he missed most of his free throws, that would be choking.  But he didn't right?  And oh, he had 15 rebounds too ( who does he think he is? Jabbar? ) His team won btw, getting a back to back trophy.  And he was named Finals MVP.  Choker?  Malabo.  Not dominating as MJ, pwede pa.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010 at 03:54 PM by mattia »

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #589 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 03:57 PM »
Trash talking pa rin tayo hahaha.

Back to 2011 muna: For the Celtics fans, are you happy with the addition of Shaq, or not?

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #590 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 04:17 PM »

Back to 2011 muna: For the Celtics fans, are you happy with the addition of Shaq, or not?

Not a Celtic Fan but Shaq, old as he may be, is a welcome addition to any well-coached team, especially Boston Celtics.  I'm sure Coach Rivers can maximize Shaq's remaining potential.  Boston fans might be happier had Shaq been with them during the 2010 finals series ;D

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #591 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 04:25 PM »
Not a Celtic Fan but Shaq, old as he may be, is a welcome addition to any well-coached team, especially Boston Celtics.  I'm sure Coach Rivers can maximize Shaq's remaining potential.  Boston fans might be happier had Shaq been with them during the 2010 finals series ;D

I agree with this. :D

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 902
« Reply #592 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 05:15 PM »
shaq can still be productive. he can still be counted on to give you 8 to 10 points plus 5 rebounds as a reliever. His body aint in shape anymore for those 35 minutes and up playing time though. He can still bully his way when up against the second stringers of any team.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #593 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 08:58 PM »
Boston fans might be happier had Shaq been with them during the 2010 finals series ;D

agree...
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #594 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 10:27 PM »

wala naman na yata silang gaanong choice in terms of big bodies who can still bang,clog the lanes and be productive from an offensive stand point e. given na injured pa si perk, tas yung sweldo ni shaq ($3M over 2yrs?) e more than a bang for ther buck na.

hope he crashes all 500lbs of him when lbj tries to drive through the big leprechaun  :P

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #595 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 01:08 AM »
Hey, for the vet minimun, I'd wish LA had brought back Shaq. But he's just burned too many bridges at Los Angeles. Shouting at Buss (or was it Kupchak) at practice demanding that they "Pay him!" and his beef with Kobe. Celtics picking him up was a smarter move IMHO than getting Jermaine Oneal. JO is just like Sheed minus the intensity, attitude and 3-point shot. I was hoping Sheed still comes back, makes the Celtics that more formidable. Fans win if they get either an LA-Miami or Boston-LA finals.

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #596 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 01:24 AM »
Hey, for the vet minimun, I'd wish LA had brought back Shaq. But he's just burned too many bridges at Los Angeles. Shouting at Buss (or was it Kupchak) at practice demanding that they "Pay him!" and his beef with Kobe. Celtics picking him up was a smarter move IMHO than getting Jermaine Oneal. JO is just like Sheed minus the intensity, attitude and 3-point shot. I was hoping Sheed still comes back, makes the Celtics that more formidable. Fans win if they get either an LA-Miami or Boston-LA finals.

agreed.though i think he also burned bridges with Miami too,ditto for Orlando it that still counts.
sana nga bumalik si sheed. imagine the finals scenarios you just proposed sit battousai.  :o

kobe vs shaq feud=forever  ;D

Offline mzepol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #597 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 08:07 AM »
shaq can still be productive. he can still be counted on to give you 8 to 10 points plus 5 rebounds as a reliever. His body aint in shape anymore for those 35 minutes and up playing time though. He can still bully his way when up against the second stringers of any team.

I'd say he can still bully any 1st stringers out there, including D12.  ;)

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
« Reply #598 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM »
sheed won't be returning. he's retiring. :)

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #599 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 01:04 PM »
what's in the mind of shaq?
i can't remember an ex-laker wearing a rival celtic green jersey.