Author Topic: NBA 2011  (Read 487962 times)

Offline DaSilva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
Re: NBA 2011
« Reply #1290 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 12:12 PM »
About the Denver-NY trade...

Overrated star SF joins overrated star PF, will play for overrated coach, in an overrated city.

Two strong offensive players, who are also weak defensive players, play for a strong offensive coach, who also happens to be a weak defensive coach.

Perfect combination!

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011 at 12:12 PM by DaSilva »

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #1291 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM »
melo's a decent player but gawd knicks gave up too many players and too many picks, that future pick will haunt them just like they traded away their pick (who turned out joakim noah) to the bulls for eddy curry

Offline HDMI

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1292 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM »
NY gave up too much for Anthony, but I think they are a much better team now. NY is relevant once again, at least in big-name players. It would be interesting to watch how they will progress towards the playoffs.

For the Nuggets, they are now in semi-rebuilding mode. At least they got some other players from Anthony's departure, unlike the Cavs and Toronto.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM by HDMI »

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1293 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM »
i think nuggets will rebuild, nene/chandler/felton will walk after the season or be traded 

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 341
« Reply #1294 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 01:43 PM »
wow if chauncey will stay for long, another big 3 in the big apple, chauncey melo amar'e

Looks like the Knicks are looking at completing their real Big 3 prior to the start of the 2012-13 season, when Chris Paul and Deron Williams will be available as free agents.  :o  In the meantime, they will probably make the playoffs this season (and probably exit in the second round because they will suck at playing defense), and look to add a couple of more pieces (SG, C) for the 2011-12 season.      
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011 at 01:44 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline air23swoosh

• Apprentice
  • When in doubt.... don't!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #1295 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 02:40 PM »
I don't like this move. NY could have looked for a good center instead.

Yes, I agree with this observation.
They parted with too much players...
It was said that even Coach D'Antoni and President Donnie Walsh were both unhappy with the deal.
It is also rumored that owner James Dolan consulted instead with former Pres. Isiah Thomas ...

A legitimate reliable center would have been the missing piece.

Offline HDMI

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1296 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 02:50 PM »
It is also rumored that owner James Dolan consulted instead with former Pres. Isiah Thomas ...

If there is any truth to this, then I wont be surprised when Walsh leaves at the end of the season and then Thomas can take his place. Too bad for Walsh, he may probably be replaced by the very same person whose mistakes he was trying to fix during his tenure. Let the front-office drama begin.  ;D

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1297 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 03:47 PM »
Looks like the Knicks are looking at completing their real Big 3 prior to the start of the 2012-13 season, when Chris Paul and Deron Williams will be available as free agents.  :o  In the meantime, they will probably make the playoffs this season (and probably exit in the second round because they will suck at playing defense), and look to add a couple of more pieces (SG, C) for the 2011-12 season.      

true that soon, but i recall chauncey said that he will ask a buyout if he is traded and be back to denver.
i cant see toney douglas directing plays for melo/amare, knicks should and must hang on to chauncey up to 2012

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1298 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 05:05 PM »
What if the Knicks tries to trade for TP (a 3-team transaction) - I hope that package will include, Landry Fields, another Small Forward and another Center to the Spurs ...
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011 at 05:09 PM by geckoph »

Offline ruth2art

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1299 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 05:10 PM »
Knicks made a good move on this trade. They are following the steps of the Celtics, which the Heat also pursued. Well, the second part of the winning formula is playing defense, an area which D'Antoni, Amare & Melo have to work on.
In the end, Amare-Melo-Chauncey is much better than a Amare-Gallo-Felton trio.
"There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1300 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 07:23 PM »
+1 CP3

...or KD with his clutch baskets in the closing minutes when the East was closing in on them..  

agree

CP and KD both played unselfish basketball and have show great teamanship despite this being an all star game. Lebrona dn Kobe on the other hand played liked they are playing one on one and doesnt even care about their respective team mates, both ball hogs, at one point inagawan pa ni kobe si druant during a rebound. well my opinion only.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1301 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 09:51 PM »
d'antoni, amare and defense is oxymoronic

boston is different, pp ray and kg are on the same page especially kg even sometimes acts as an a$$ but he anchors the defense and lets not forget the celtics in 08 have a pretty good defensive supporting cast. that is what lacking in both miami and new york, really i wont be surprise if we see boston again in the finals.

Offline air23swoosh

• Apprentice
  • When in doubt.... don't!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #1302 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM »
d'antoni, amare and defense is oxymoronic

boston is different, pp ray and kg are on the same page especially kg even sometimes acts as an a$$ but he anchors the defense and lets not forget the celtics in 08 have a pretty good defensive supporting cast. that is what lacking in both miami and new york, really i wont be surprise if we see boston again in the finals.

Yes, agree with this observation.  Aside from great defense from KG, Pierce and Allen, they had a very good supporting cast from the 2008 Champion team with Rondo, Davis, Perkins, Posey, PJ Bown, House, Powe, Casell, T. Allen etc.

Basketball is more than just 3 players...

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
« Reply #1303 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 06:06 AM »
update via twiter:
Knicks actively trying to acquire Portland center Marcus Camby, but source said Blazers are weighing more attractive options.

Bulls trade forward James Johnson to Raptors for a second round draft pick, source said.
lapit na deadline. will the Lakers make a move?  ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011 at 06:07 AM by dmaximus »

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1304 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 06:42 AM »
more from the twittertraderumorwire

Sources say Clippers dangling 1st round pick from Minny to Denver for Gallinari. Pick is Top 10 protected in 2011, unprotected in 2012.

Rockets shopping Yao Ming, Chase Budinger, Courtney Lee, Terrence Williams, Jared Jeffries and Jordan Hill. All available for right price

Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson being shopped, Wallace more likely to be moved

Nene. If he doesn't sign an extension with Denver, expect the Rockets to pursue him

Blazers expected to move guard Andre Miller and center Marcus Camby before trade deadline, source said

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011 at 06:49 AM by kimpOy »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1305 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 07:21 AM »
I still like what NY has done despite giving up too much for Melo.   The deal maker/breaker was Mosgov.  If he hadnt been given, the deal would have been favorable for NY. 

But I think they have to make the deal, coz I dont think they would have won something relevant with the previous roster anyway.

What they do to suppement the new roster is what Im interested in.  Get CP3 or Deron via free agency.....sign a defensive minded Center, and I think they are set.

Spike Lee can talk serious trash again!!

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1306 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 07:32 AM »
In the end, Amare-Melo-Chauncey is much better than a Amare-Gallo-Felton trio.

Chauncey is past his prime. Felton, on the other hand, is on the rise, assists, steals, 3s. Melo would demand the ball way more than Gallo, even more than Amare. As for defense, Amare's averaging about 2BLKS per game and REBS has always been there.

Boston's big 3 is different from Miami's. The former are good players wanting to win, the latter are brats.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011 at 07:38 AM by bumblebee »

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #1307 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 07:43 AM »
Whoever NY gave up, they gave up too much I think.  Melo was going to NY anyway this summer.

Offline wacksy1021

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1308 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 08:48 AM »
Whoever NY gave up, they gave up too much I think.  Melo was going to NY anyway this summer.

New york had no choice. I think it was Anthony who wanted this deal to go down this year as to be guaranteed with the 65 million contract. He would not risk waiting to wait till free agency next year with the trade bargaining agreement looming and possibly be left out with less money. What he risked though was letting go of quality players like Gallo, Felton and Chandler who would have complimented him and aMare just in case he waited. It really is and always the money first no matter what some of these stars say otherwise...
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011 at 08:50 AM by wacksy1021 »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1309 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 08:53 AM »
New york had no choice. I think it was Anthony who wanted this deal to go down this year as to be guaranteed with the 65 million contract. He would not risk waiting to wait till free agency next year with the trade bargaining agreement looming and possibly be left out with less money. What he risked though was letting go of quality players like Gallo, Felton and Chandler who would have complimented him and aMare just in case he waited. It really is and always the money first no matter what some of these stars say otherwise...

I really think it is the contrary.  If signing an extension was of priority, he would have done that already in Denver or at least considered signing the extension in New Jersey.  New york I believe really had all the leverage.

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1310 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 09:03 AM »
the melo trade is on hold!!!!! pending if eddy curry passes physical hahaha paktay!!!  ;D  ;D

Offline wacksy1021

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1311 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM »
I really think it is the contrary.  If signing an extension was of priority, he would have done that already in Denver or at least considered signing the extension in New Jersey.  New york I believe really had all the leverage.

no what I mean is that Anthony knew from the start he wanted to be in New York, it has always been his first option and might be his only option... we may never know... that is why the new jersey deal fell off though denver wanted the deal more.... carmelo did not want to sign the extension with new jersey. This forced the hand of denver to pick the NY deal, it was not about the extension but the money involved. New York did not have the leverage because if Denver lets Carmelo walk they recieve nothing in return so it is really beneficail also for them to get the deal done, It was Melo who had all the leverage, and he made the best out of it... he wanted the deal now so he can make sure he gets the guaranteed money and he manuevered brillantly to get to the team he really wanted.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1312 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM »
no what I mean is that Anthony knew from the start he wanted to be in New York, it has always been his first option and might be his only option... we may never know... that is why the new jersey deal fell off though denver wanted the deal more.... carmelo did not want to sign the extension with new jersey. This forced the hand of denver to pick the NY deal, it was not about the extension but the money involved. New York did not have the leverage because if Denver lets Carmelo walk they recieve nothing in return so it is really beneficail also for them to get the deal done, It was Melo who had all the leverage, and he made the best out of it... he wanted the deal now so he can make sure he gets the guaranteed money and he manuevered brillantly to get to the team he really wanted.

Melo had leverage over Denver yes.  But Melo doesn't have leverage over New York di ba?  New York was in no way obligated to get into negotiations with Denver.  If Melo said he will only sign an extension with New York, then Melo gave New York leverage over Denver as Denver is forced to ONLY deal with New York or be forced to let Melo go without any compensation.  If Melo really wanted only to play for the Knicks, then New York can just sit and wait for Melo to become a free agent.  That's what I meant that New York had all the leverage.  Melo's unofficial statement that he only wants to play for New York gave the Knicks all the leverage to dictate negotiations with Denver.  New York was in no way obligated to deal with Denver.  They could have just stayed pat.

Offline wacksy1021

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1313 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM »
Melo had leverage over Denver yes.  But Melo doesn't have leverage over New York di ba?  New York was in no way obligated to get into negotiations with Denver.  If Melo said he will only sign an extension with New York, then Melo gave New York leverage over Denver as Denver is forced to ONLY deal with New York or be forced to let Melo go without any compensation.  If Melo really wanted only to play for the Knicks, then New York can just sit and wait for Melo to become a free agent.  That's what I meant that New York had all the leverage.  Melo's unofficial statement that he only wants to play for New York gave the Knicks all the leverage to dictate negotiations with Denver.  New York was in no way obligated to deal with Denver.  They could have just stayed pat.

That is the problem, Melo never said that he will only sign with New York, he just kept in for himself though it was becoming pretty obvious, In the NBA a superstar player will always have the leverage over any team if he is unrestricted. New York was never sure of landing Anthony after the trade deadline because even as you said New York had the upper hand because they know Melo's preference is with them, what Denver had over them is the trade rights of Melo... if NY just sits and offer nothing would you think the nuggets will just roll over and wait until Melo leaves... No the nuggets will find a way to trade Melo and get at least something in return from another team in another trade, this is what the Knicks are afraid of that's why they brokered the deal even though they gave up too many pieces... in the end kudos to Melo cause he got all that he wanted in the first place.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1314 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 11:06 AM »
That is the problem, Melo never said that he will only sign with New York, he just kept in for himself though it was becoming pretty obvious, In the NBA a superstar player will always have the leverage over any team if he is unrestricted. New York was never sure of landing Anthony after the trade deadline because even as you said New York had the upper hand because they know Melo's preference is with them, what Denver had over them is the trade rights of Melo... if NY just sits and offer nothing would you think the nuggets will just roll over and wait until Melo leaves... No the nuggets will find a way to trade Melo and get at least something in return from another team in another trade, this is what the Knicks are afraid of that's why they brokered the deal even though they gave up too many pieces... in the end kudos to Melo cause he got all that he wanted in the first place.

Melo's agent did say Melo would only play for New York.  Any free agent can choose wherever he wants to play of course.  But Melo can't force New York to make a trade.  If Melo is really committed to signing in New York, then to an extent, New York can dictate the terms.  Let's say Denver did trade Melo to New Jersey.  What's to keep Melo from still signing with New York after the season?

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #1315 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM »

More and more reports are coming out about this, and Isiah's increasing power inside the Knicks. The trade does seem consistent with the way Isiah recruits - he's famous/notorious for assembling a team of scorers, and places the highest regard on scoring ability.

Results have thus far proven him to be wrong, so let's see. In fact, there's an excellent study on Isiah's recruitment style with the Knicks in the book Stumbling on Wins, and why it doesn't work. Highly recommended if you can get a hold of it.

Offline wacksy1021

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1316 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 01:39 PM »
Melo's agent did say Melo would only play for New York.  Any free agent can choose wherever he wants to play of course.  But Melo can't force New York to make a trade.  If Melo is really committed to signing in New York, then to an extent, New York can dictate the terms.  Let's say Denver did trade Melo to New Jersey.  What's to keep Melo from still signing with New York after the season?

The situation on the pending collective bargaining agreement.... that is just it. Any season where the CBA is set and not having discussed, I think Melo would have waited. But with the worsening situation of the CBA Melo had to lead the Knicks to think that he is thinking of also signing with the Nets extension offer, the Nets here from the start were pawns to lure NY into trading. Now that the deal is done Melo is expected to receive 83M USD in 4 years. which will be surely way below if Melo had waited for the offseason and just signed with NY. Takutan lang yan... Melo did not force NY yes but he made sure they were made to believe that its either you trade for me now and i get my money or you may end up having none of me if you wait. That is why i think Melo has always had the upper hand and he exploited this to the fullest. Good for him... Bad for the city of NY...

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1317 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 04:53 PM »
The situation on the pending collective bargaining agreement.... that is just it. Any season where the CBA is set and not having discussed, I think Melo would have waited. But with the worsening situation of the CBA Melo had to lead the Knicks to think that he is thinking of also signing with the Nets extension offer, the Nets here from the start were pawns to lure NY into trading. Now that the deal is done Melo is expected to receive 83M USD in 4 years. which will be surely way below if Melo had waited for the offseason and just signed with NY. Takutan lang yan... Melo did not force NY yes but he made sure they were made to believe that its either you trade for me now and i get my money or you may end up having none of me if you wait. That is why i think Melo has always had the upper hand and he exploited this to the fullest. Good for him... Bad for the city of NY...

Like I said, That's what I think...the reasons I stated above.  You have your own of course.  I still think  New York had the upper hand.  I don't really think Melo was signing with New Jersey.  All the places were set for a deal w/ New Jersey.  But Melo balked at signing.  Giving New York the upper hand.  Even if New York did go via a trade route, New York still had leverage to dictate the terms of the deal.  It's Denver whose hands were tied not New York in my opinion.

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1318 on: Feb 23, 2011 at 08:38 PM »
All this fuss about a player not even in the top 5 currently  ;D

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru