Author Topic: NBA 2011  (Read 486994 times)

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NBA 2011
« Reply #2970 on: May 10, 2011 at 06:08 PM »

For a good behind the scenes article on the game 4 of the Lakers/Mavs, here's an interesting article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=6517140

In retrospect, maybe PJ should have called it his "Last Stand" because it is associated with the "Last Stand at the Alamo" where the Texans were massacred by the Mexicans.

Offline daigoro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #2971 on: May 10, 2011 at 06:14 PM »
For a change, I actually wanted the Celtics to win today just to make the series longer for the Heat.
Grizzlies had a chance to take control of the series but simply ran out of steam.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #2972 on: May 10, 2011 at 06:17 PM »
sir the sweep by the Mavs does not mean the lakers will get beaten to a pulp by the Heat, in basketball numbers really matter,records matter, statisitics matter, but in the actual games, there is such a thing as breaks of the ball game. the Mavs sweeping the Lakers does not mean they are shoe in for the championship and for the sake of discussion, even if the Heat is coming on really strong, it does not necessarily mean that if it happens its a championship between Lakers and Heat, its a stroll in the park for the Heat, the Mavs coming out the better team in their series with the Lakers does not mean the Heat will come out the better team if its a Championship between them and the Lakers. As they say, when we go cruch time, throw all statistics outside the window. But since the Lakers is all gone for now, lets just save this discussion next year.

yes sir... speaking of NBA 2011... lakers is not the best team so far... natalo sila sa playoffs... but history tells us that Lakers is one of the best team in NBA no contest about that.

the best team during NBA 2011 ay kung sinuman ang mag Champion... and i am hoping... Miami or Bulls or Dallas.
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2973 on: May 10, 2011 at 06:18 PM »
For a change, I actually wanted the Celtics to win today just to make the series longer for the Heat.
Grizzlies had a chance to take control of the series but simply ran out of steam.

sorry for my ignorance, ano na ba standing ng MEM-OKC?
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2621
« Reply #2974 on: May 10, 2011 at 06:18 PM »
sorry for my ignorance, ano na ba standing ng MEM-OKC?

2-2 na sir
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #2975 on: May 10, 2011 at 06:32 PM »
Malapit mo na akong ma convince pre.  Pag nag Heat ako madami matutuwa, -- kapatid ko, pamangkin ko, and my 10 year old will be happy to have me rooting for their team. 

Sige, pwede na nga para kay Coach Erik.  Mag Heat na nga ako basta wag ka na masyado magalit sa Lakers ko pwede ba.  Hahaha.  Pagpahingahin mo na muna si Black Mamba  ;D ;D

ha ha ha... no problem sir... sarap lang mang-asar talaga kapag alam mong maraming may gusto sa team tapos biglang natalo ng hindi mo inaasahan ang klase ng pagkatalo...

para sa akin... masaya ang sport kapag may kakampihan kang team (ano man preference mo bakit un ang napili mo)... then ipagcheer mo siya tapos kapag nanalo aasarin mo ang kapwa mo fans ng kabilang team... whew... hindi ako critics ng sports... isa akong fans ng sports...

i dont like lebron and bosh, mas gusto ko si wade... and doon pa rin ako sa dehado - i believe dehado ang Miami - kung pag-uusapan ang dami ng may galit sa Miami... at ang pagiging dehado ni Coach Erik i want him to be like or even surpass coach PJ... the moment na gustong gusto kong magchampion ang Miami ay nang magkaroon ng rumor na patatalsikin si Erik end of year 2010 kasi hindi raw niya kaya ihandle ang Big 3.

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2976 on: May 10, 2011 at 06:39 PM »
Go Lakers!!! (2012 or 2013)  ;D

nbc
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2977 on: May 10, 2011 at 06:39 PM »
sir marvin, I have always been fascinated by great teams, in the modern era, mahirap ng maabot ang naabot ng lakers, nuong nawala si shaq at natira si kobe, madaming nagsabi wala na lakers but obviously ang dami pa din nila na achieve.

im not sure kung tama ang observation ko, this season has been tough for the lakers becasue they have challenges in their fluidity, matagal tagal na din naman nag lalaro si fisher and time will take its toll, probably next year, with a very efficient point guard, nanjan na ulit ang lakers, one last try for steve nash perhaps

Yes...I think its a season of disinterest and it showed with their multiple losing streaks that went 5 games at the most.   There was never a sense of urgency.   And when a very capable Dallad Mavericks came, they got their a** whoopin.

I guess its better for them really.  The roster will be re assessed and I do hope Fisher will retire.  We'll be glad he can sit at the bench and do assistant duties.  The roster is very much capable, a little tweak and have no reason to doubt that they will contend again.

Regarding the Laker bashing, I think it magnified when Kobe became the superstar that he is.  An arrogant brash kid who was not hiding the fact that he wants to be the next MJ, it wasnt welcomed by NBA fans who considered MJ as the MAN.   If Kobe wasnt a Laker Id probably hate him too!!  

Couple this with the Lakers being the equivalent of MLB's NY Yankees.  The huge market Franchise who gets all the breaks....in terms of viewership, freeagents and trades (Shag signing, and Gasol trade).  Its easy to understand how the Lakers gets a legion of bashers and haters.

And when a debacle like the Dallas series come......they fall hard.   And we fans gets embarrased too. I guess thats the way I like it.....at least we know the Franchise always contends, we win some.....we fall but fast to rebuild rather than be mired in mediocrity as some franchises are known for.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 at 07:47 PM by Munskie »

Offline daigoro

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #2978 on: May 10, 2011 at 08:07 PM »
Actually, after the Lakers won last year against the Celtics, i expected a letdown and it happened. Also, the hurt that was motivating them (Game 6 in 2008) was no longer there when they beat the same Celtics in 2010. They had a very low margin of error of winning this year and that was magnified when they lost Game 1 to the Mavericks. Gasol wasn't playing like last year when he was Mr. Dependable even during the regular season and just collapsed in post season.
PJ realized that and tried to manage away the problems but the Mavericks and Rick Carlisle were playing at a much higher level and the Lakers talent couldn't overcome that. Also, the Mavericks and even Mark Cuban were focused and all business. There were no loose words and they respected their opponents which made playing with an edge against them difficult.
Although they were bit players last year, i now realize that Farmar and Vujacic played a big role by providing athleticism and speed. They would have minimized the likes of Jason Terry and J Barea from getting big games.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 at 08:11 PM by daigoro »

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2979 on: May 10, 2011 at 08:46 PM »
it will be interesting next year how LA will perform without PJ.MJ could not win a championship without PJ.can kobe win a championship without PJ?that wil be a nice challenge for him.if kobe wins next year he can brag about something that MJ could'nt do
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 at 08:47 PM by jhelenz »

Offline dexterc

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • CISCO Certified
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #2980 on: May 10, 2011 at 09:02 PM »
EPIC game 4 by OKC and MEMPHIS  :o 

Offline geckoph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2981 on: May 10, 2011 at 09:51 PM »
The Wall-shington Wizards

The uniforms

Mukhang masama ang loob or nahihiya sina John Wall...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM by geckoph »

Offline XanderCage

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2982 on: May 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM »
haha. that is one ugly looking uniform. lol.

kawawa yung mukha ni john wall, parang napipilitan.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2983 on: May 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM »
Yes...I think its a season of disinterest and it showed with their multiple losing streaks that went 5 games at the most.   There was never a sense of urgency.   And when a very capable Dallad Mavericks came, they got their a** whoopin.

I guess its better for them really.  The roster will be re assessed and I do hope Fisher will retire.  We'll be glad he can sit at the bench and do assistant duties.  The roster is very much capable, a little tweak and have no reason to doubt that they will contend again.

Regarding the Laker bashing, I think it magnified when Kobe became the superstar that he is.  An arrogant brash kid who was not hiding the fact that he wants to be the next MJ, it wasnt welcomed by NBA fans who considered MJ as the MAN.   If Kobe wasnt a Laker Id probably hate him too!!  

Couple this with the Lakers being the equivalent of MLB's NY Yankees.  The huge market Franchise who gets all the breaks....in terms of viewership, freeagents and trades (Shag signing, and Gasol trade).  Its easy to understand how the Lakers gets a legion of bashers and haters.

And when a debacle like the Dallas series come......they fall hard.   And we fans gets embarrased too. I guess thats the way I like it.....at least we know the Franchise always contends, we win some.....we fall but fast to rebuild rather than be mired in mediocrity as some franchises are known for.  

i couldnt even recall having seen the lakers in mediocrity, or i wasnt really paying much attention all seasons for the last 10 years, its seems to me the the era of cedric ceballos wasnt much of a strong team but just the same, the lakers command a strong following.

for the many times that kobe has been playing, he has been playing wiht much pride and always give it his best, i guess the age factor made him a louder mouth than other superstars but during every games, he puts his A game always.

The early exit gives them better oppurtinity to study their options. It was a bad season for Gasol but he is still relatively young so i guess he still has it, perhaps a new coach and PG can bring back the fire in him, bynum may have acted like an A hole but perhpas the tough experience could make him a better player next year.

What strikes me apart from the odom and gasol not being dominant lately is matt barnes, isnt it that this guy has reached star status when he was then playing for a team not known to be strong yet he and was it JRICH carried them beyond expectations,i just couldnt recall which team was that, after being traded, he was not the same man again. Something like a Steve Smith, who was a superstar when he was with ATL then but slowly faded away in the sunset when he got traded.

Offline XanderCage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2984 on: May 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM »
golden state warriors sila nun, jrich, barnes, baron davis and company.

may knee injury din kasi si matt barnes coming to the playoffs, he had his knee drained during the 1st round and also recovering from ankle injury na nawala sya ng 3 months ata nung regular season.

though kups move talaga yung kay bynum, bata pa kasi yun i think he is only 22 or 23, kelangan nya pa mag mature para di sya maging pikunin. hehe.

and i agree kelangan na talaga nila ng bagong pg, si steve blake di maka perform ng mabuti dahil sa limited minutes. i remember magaling yun dati nung tandem pa sila ni brandon roy sa blazers. ngayon parang wala na laro nya.

Offline The Stig

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2985 on: May 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM »
The uniforms

Mukhang masama ang loob or nahihiya sina John Wall...

Obviously a throwback/tribute to the 70's-80's era Bullets uniforms. Very unflattering IMHO  :P

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2986 on: May 11, 2011 at 01:03 AM »
golden state warriors sila nun, jrich, barnes, baron davis and company.

may knee injury din kasi si matt barnes coming to the playoffs, he had his knee drained during the 1st round and also recovering from ankle injury na nawala sya ng 3 months ata nung regular season.

though kups move talaga yung kay bynum, bata pa kasi yun i think he is only 22 or 23, kelangan nya pa mag mature para di sya maging pikunin. hehe.

and i agree kelangan na talaga nila ng bagong pg, si steve blake di maka perform ng mabuti dahil sa limited minutes. i remember magaling yun dati nung tandem pa sila ni brandon roy sa blazers. ngayon parang wala na laro nya.

yeah thank you for the information, sikat na sikat si barnes nung time na yun eh tapos bigla ng nawala after ng mga trades

about blake, di ba pinag agawan pa yata yan, minsan talaga yug trade can make or break a player, may mga player na after ma trade sumikat meron namang sikat after ma trade lumubog

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2987 on: May 11, 2011 at 06:27 AM »
Game time! Let's Go Bulls! ;D

Offline XanderCage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2988 on: May 11, 2011 at 08:22 AM »

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2621
« Reply #2989 on: May 11, 2011 at 08:46 AM »
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline aRujoN

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 200
« Reply #2990 on: May 11, 2011 at 08:56 AM »

And how are they gonna acquire D12?? they cant afford to sign him max contract w/o going overboard in the lux tax(w/c they already are) and the lakers dont have good trade pieces (gasol= getting old, bynum= an a$$hole who's injury prone) to entice orlando.. Other teams can offer better packages... like the nets, for instance..

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2991 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:08 AM »
Gasol addresses poor play as Lakers head out

Posted May 10 2011 9:23PM
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Andrew Bynum wishes he could take back his flagrant foul on Dallas guard J.J. Barea during the Los Angeles Lakers' final playoff game, a mistake that got him suspended for five games next season.

Pau Gasol would like a do-over on the entire postseason after his veteran team finally ran out of steam.

The Lakers began their offseason with most players' exit interviews at their training complex Tuesday. Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson will wrap up on Wednesday.

While Bynum expressed remorse for his costly cheap-shot foul and Derek Fisher looked toward a busy summer as the players' union president, general manager Mitch Kupchak asked soul-searching questions about why the two-time defending champs were swept out of the second round by the Mavericks.

"We just never really imagined being in this situation and speaking to these guys under these circumstances," Fisher said. "This one definitely hurts. This one will be with us for a while. ... We've been forced to take a close look in the mirror, and I think we're going to come back and respond."

Gasol likely had the most questions to answer after his scoring and rebounding averages and shooting percentage all declined precipitously in the playoffs.

"Our execution was inconsistent throughout the series," Gasol said. "We just got away from the keys and elements of our offense and our game. They were adding up to the point where it seemed like we barely knew each other at the last game. It's an experience we all should learn from."

Gasol averaged just 13.1 points and 7.8 rebounds in Los Angeles' 10 playoff games, taking much of the heat for the Lakers' struggles from incensed fans. They've flooded talk-radio stations and websites calling for his departure in the past 48 hours, causing Gasol to roll his eyes when told about it.

The All-Star 7-footer didn't directly address widespread rumors that trouble in his personal life contributed to his poor play, but said his girlfriend "has been taking hits which are absolutely false, all those stories."

"The thing that makes me the angriest is me not playing at my best, and me not being able to help my team accomplish its goals," Gasol said. "That's what makes me the angriest. The rest of the stuff, you can brush it off. It's not really that big of a deal."

Most players recognized the signs of their decline in hindsight, notably the draining toll of playing 77 postseason games in the past four years. The Lakers' lengthy losing streaks, unimpressive home play and general lack of passion all caught up to them in the postseason when they couldn't immediately raise their intensity to match hungrier opponents.

"This wasn't an overnight thing," Fisher said. "It happened over time. Some of it is just a part of making the run that we've made for the last three or four seasons, the number of games we've played over the last four or five years. In a sense, we were set up to have a fall at some point, but I don't think any of us imagined falling in this way."

Bynum echoed Fisher's thoughts about the cumulative effect of their success, but from another angle: He thinks Los Angeles had trouble connecting on the court because the players rarely were all together in practice.

Bryant, Bynum, Fisher and other veterans routinely skipped practice to rest their worn-down bodies. Bryant rarely practiced while playing through numerous injuries all season, including a sprained ankle in the first round of the playoffs.

"We have to practice," Bynum said. "I can't address anyone's health. I haven't been the most healthy person, but I do know that in order to win, we need to practice. We need to be out there going through things together. That's just the way that is. That's the main thing that I see that was different from the last two years. Our practice just wasn't the same."

The Lakers also expressed uniform regret for sending Jackson into his latest retirement with a four-game sweep, although they covered most of those feelings while it was still fresh in Dallas.

"It was very, very frustrating, and I apologized to him face-to-face," said backup guard Shannon Brown, who hasn't decided whether to exercise his $2.4 million player option for next season. "I told him that that was a terrible way ... for him to go out, and I really felt bad for him. I really can't put it into words how disappointed, upset, embarrassed, frustrated we really were. It still hurts."

The Lakers generally endorse assistant coach Brian Shaw as their choice to replace Jackson, but realize their mistakes may have hurt his candidacy in the eyes of owner Jerry Buss. Fisher said he's "hopeful that Brian will get the opportunity, even if it isn't here."

Not everybody had only rose-colored thoughts about Jackson. Forward Luke Walton said he "cleared the air" with Jackson after spending most of the season rotting on the bench, unable to crack Jackson's second-team rotation. Walton is due $11.78 million over the next two seasons.

The Lakers were noncommittal about the need for big changes in the offseason, realizing it isn't up to them. Ron Artest was among the players who believe that with a little rest and a renewed attitude, this core could contend for a title again.

"This year was unfortunate, but I'd be more than happy to go to battle with these guys again," Artest said. "I don't think you've seen the last of the Lakers."

I agree with the last part. their core group still has a few years left in them about 2-4 more years. rest lang siguro talaga kailangan nila after playing the entire season plagued with injuries. maganda rin kung si Brian Shaw maging coach nila since may trust na sila sa kanya.

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #2992 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:08 AM »
Lakers' Bynum suspended five games for Barea foul

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/05/10/lakers.bynum.suspended.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

LANG?  sa ganun foul at least 20games above ang suspension  para bigyan ng leksyon.

Offline ruth2art

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2993 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:09 AM »
GO BULLS!!!
"There is always, always, always something to be thankful for."

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #2994 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:17 AM »
yeah Bulls....

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #2995 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:18 AM »
And how are they gonna acquire D12?? they cant afford to sign him max contract w/o going overboard in the lux tax(w/c they already are) and the lakers dont have good trade pieces (gasol= getting old, bynum= an a$$hole who's injury prone) to entice orlando.. Other teams can offer better packages... like the nets, for instance..

Coz they are the Lakers...they are always capable of doing the blockbuster signing/deal. As long as Dr. Buss is running the team.....anything as possible.  Even if they have the highest payroll.......the team is still making a profit.  ;)  

Kahit ano pa trade value nina Gasol/Bynum or Odom..no matter how you understate their value......if you are Orlando, would you just let D12 go away via free agency (ala Lebron?), or get pieces for him in return? (look what Denver has done with Melo).

Offline staind01

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2996 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:20 AM »
Lakers' Bynum suspended five games for Barea foul

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/05/10/lakers.bynum.suspended.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

The league also fined Bynum $25,000 for ripping off his jersey while heading to the locker room, which means the suspension will cost Bynum more than $700,000.

on the same article...

Forward Ron Artest was suspended for Game 3 of the series after a hard foul on Barea late in Game 2. Artest said Tuesday that he disagreed with his suspension.

"What are you going to do? You've got a guy who's 5-2," Artest jokingly said of the 6-foot Barea. "I extend, and he's straight up, like a broomstick, and his face was in my palm. When it happened, I was like, 'Oh boy. Are you all right, young fella?' And then I was ejected. ... It was unfortunate, the ejection and suspension. It wasn't right. It wasn't right. It shouldn't have happened."

thugs both.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #2997 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:22 AM »
BULLS win,..!

WoooooHoooooo,..!

Offline aRujoN

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 200
« Reply #2998 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:26 AM »
Coz they are the Lakers...they are always capable of doing the blockbuster signing/deal. As long as Dr. Buss is running the team.....anything as possible.  Even if they have the highest payroll.......the team is still making a profit.  ;)  

Kahit ano pa trade value nina Gasol/Bynum or Odom..no matter how you understate their value......if you are Orlando, would you just let D12 go away via free agency (ala Lebron?), or get pieces for him in return? (look what Denver has done with Melo).

no... i would probably trade him to the NETS... they have young bigs and cheaper too..
Orlando has no OBLIGATION to trade d12 to the lakers(even if u think they are so high and mighty..) Orlando would probably trade him to another team before the GM otis smith even thinks of dealing wid the lakers due to the shaq scenario in the past...doing so WILL get him fired..

Offline pao9307

• Trade Count: (+257)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #2999 on: May 11, 2011 at 09:50 AM »
it's amazing people here are still talking about the lakers. ;D