Author Topic: 3D Displays May Be Hazardous To Young Children  (Read 978 times)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
3D Displays May Be Hazardous To Young Children
« on: Jun 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM »
http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/warning-3d-video-hazardous-to-your-health

Audioholics contacted a former VR researcher for Sega and it turns out that serious health risks involved with children consuming 3D were uncovered.

There's a malaise in children that can prevent full stereopsis (depth perception) from developing, called strabismus or lazy-eye. It is an abnormal alignment of the eyes in which the eyes do not focus on the same object — kind of like when you watch a 3D movie. As a result, depth perception is compromised.

Unfortunately, these dangers are still inherent to today's 3D technology, according to the article. There is the further allegation that the electronics, movie, and gaming industries seem to be ignoring the issue.

Also, new research has surfaced that 3D technology could also be bad for adults.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
Re: 3D Displays May Be Hazardous To Young Children
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM »
There was mention of this issue during the G4 Feedback video podcast last week. Children 7 years old and below are affected as well as, apparently, pregnant women.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2010 at 05:03 AM »
I'm still looking for any article that concurs or disproves what i saw from audioholics, still no luck, though.

I wouldn't want to be the harbinger of doom here on pdvd on such a cool technology.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM »
[Harbinger of Doom Mode]

As far as Nintendo is concerned, that safety warning about kids and pregnant women appears on the warning screen before a 3DS game begins.