Author Topic: Panasonic 42V20 Review  (Read 86980 times)

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Panasonic 42V20 Review (FULL HD 1080p/NEO-PDP)
« Reply #60 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 07:06 PM »
NOW AVAILABLE, ONLY 10 UNITS!

Panasonic TH-P42V20 at cash now P66K with free TV calibration. P65K without TV calibration service.

TV calibration is available within Manila area. Not available for Antipolo, Conception Marikina, Cavite, Bulacan, Novaliches, and Fairview Lagro.

5 Reasons to Shop at Sights and Sounds:

1. A History of Excellence and Integrity (We are Dealer of Electronic; We are NOT AGENT)
...http://www.mysightsnsounds.com/pages/history-excellence/
2. After-Sales Assistance Program (ASAP). http://www.mysightsnsounds.com/pages/asap/
3. We are Highly Recommended. http://www.mysightsnsounds.com/pages/we-are-recommended/
4. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. http://www.mysightsnsounds.com/pages/satisfaction/
5. Get Rewards. Shop now at Sights and Sounds and join Shangri-La Plaza's raffle to win a Volvo XC60 D5. Promo ends September 19, 2010.

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #61 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 08:00 PM »
Got my V20 from Vic today, as usual excellent service!

Will do MEGA TESTING later :D :D :D
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2010 at 08:01 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline pinoy55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • 42X20 & 42UT30S - LX55 & LX50 - Xtreamer - RTi HT
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 08:17 PM »
aabangan ko ito. :D

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 08:23 PM »
sirs,

what is the use of the ethernet port for this unit? does it have programmed access to Internet TV similar to NMTs?

Hi Bennet!
The Japanese model is programmed to the portal acTVila.   There is an option within that portal for manual URL input but Panasonic has a disclaimer that they cant guarantee that websites "not contained" within acTVila can be opened.   My feeling is, maybe most sites can be accessed.  However, I dont connect my V2 to the network so, it's just a feeling...hehehe..anyways I would be quite concerned about IR if the V2 is used as a PC monitor.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2010 at 08:26 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #64 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM »
Hi Bennet!
The Japanese model is programmed to the portal acTVila.   There is an option within that portal for manual URL input but Panasonic has a disclaimer that they cant guarantee that websites "not contained" within acTVila can be opened.   My feeling is, maybe most sites can be accessed.  However, I dont connect my V2 to the network so, it's just a feeling...hehehe..anyways I would be quite concerned about IR if the V2 is used as a PC monitor.

thanks Allan, I did some googling awhile ago ... i'm really interested in this unit, particularly with the Skype capability ... i regularly connect my laptop on my plasma tv at the living room during weekends to communicate with my sister abroad, this way she can talk to everyone in the house and everyone can see her on big screen... just not sure if a standard webcam would be supported, or if only the coms camera advertised as an accessory will work with it
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM »
Here it is folks!

In the flesh...

Review to follow ;)

Offline pinoy55

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jul 14, 2010 at 11:56 PM »
yahoo! can't wait fir the review sir carlo. are you going to post the review tonight? hehe!

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM »
Panasonic 42V20

DVD:

Plugging a Toshiba XDE 500 via an Ixos HDMI (set to 1080p) and playing "The Day After Tomorrow". The V20 presented a soft picture but with very good colors. Comparing the V20 to my G11 becomes a mixed bag, those who prefer sharper pictures with more aggressive colors will prefer the later. The V20, on the other hand may be on the softer side, but I'd prefer it over the G11 because it's "True Cinema" settings will give you an "out of the box" cinema feel with more accurate colors.

Blu-Ray:

Blu-ray has never been this good, the V20 is the plasma of choice for the blue laser! Pictures were razor sharp, and fast scenes were depicted with no signs of slowdown or blur. The advertised 1080 moving resolution gives you detail per detail at full 1080p everytime all the time (at least for my eyes). Film grain and grit were rendered in a fashion that preserves the theatrical pomp of a blockbuster without being too overbearing.

...More Tomorrow...
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:28 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:06 AM »
yahoo! can't wait fir the review sir carlo. are you going to post the review tonight? hehe!

Part 1 lang boss ;)

Pc gaming muna tayo hehehe

Offline pinoy55

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM »
wow! thanks for the review sir. will wait for the next part tom.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:12 AM »
wow! thanks for the review sir. will wait for the next part tom.

Sure boss!

Tomorrow:

1)Console gaming
2)IFC/24p does it deliver?
3)Reflectivity
4)Phosphor lag/Fluctuating blacks?
5)Vs the C10, PY800, and some Sony and Sammy
6)And more :D

Offline pinoy55

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Panasonic 42V20 Review (1ST UPDATE)
« Reply #71 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:19 AM »
Can you include pics in your review sir? Thanks n advance! Hehehe :)

by the way, do you recommend toshiba XDE600?

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:27 AM »
Can you include pics in your review sir? Thanks n advance! Hehehe :)

by the way, do you recommend toshiba XDE600?

I've done a number of reviews for the board in the past, and I rarely include pictures simply because they are not acurate representations of what you'll buy ;)

Sorry, I don't know about the XDE 600 but the XDE 500 was more than good enough.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:36 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 05:50 AM »
Panasonic 42V20

DVD:

Plugging a Toshiba XDE 500 via an Ixos HDMI (set to 1080p) and playing "The Day After Tomorrow". The V20 presented a soft picture but with very good colors. Comparing the V20 to my G11 becomes a mixed bag, those who prefer sharper pictures with more aggressive colors will prefer the later. The V20, on the other hand may be on the softer side, but I'd prefer it over the G11 because it's "True Cinema" settings will give you an "out of the box" cinema feel with more accurate colors.

Blu-Ray:

Blu-ray has never been this good, the V20 is the plasma of choice for the blue laser! Pictures were razor sharp, and fast scenes were depicted with no signs of slowdown or blur. The advertised 1080 moving resolution gives you detail per detail at full 1080p everytime all the time (at least for my eyes). Film grain and grit were rendered in a fashion that preserves the theatrical pomp of a blockbuster without being too overbearing.

...More Tomorrow...

Hi Sir Carlo, any signs po of what they're calling, "floating blacks"?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 07:51 AM »
thanks Allan, I did some googling awhile ago ... i'm really interested in this unit, particularly with the Skype capability ... i regularly connect my laptop on my plasma tv at the living room during weekends to communicate with my sister abroad, this way she can talk to everyone in the house and everyone can see her on big screen... just not sure if a standard webcam would be supported, or if only the coms camera advertised as an accessory will work with it

Malaking katanungan eto Bennet.  Nakakaduda whenever Panasonic or Sony or any consumer electronic giant develops and markets their proprietary accessories in order to provide certain new functions.   This is the 1st gen of Panasonic plasma with Skype capability.   Of course you can simply maintain your current connection scheme (via laptop).  Kahit mag-consult ka sa Panasonic Tech Support, they would most likely stick to what is written in their document as regards Skype functionality - that is, connect that new Panasonic communication cam and download the proprietary driver/software.

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 07:52 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 10:06 AM »
More Blu-Ray:

Testing movies like the "Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans" and "The Dark Knight Returns", I didn't  notice any "fluctuating blacks". Not that the V20 is free of the issue, it's just that at testing, I was not able to see them. If it were there, it could have been so subtle... that you couldn't really spot them during regular viewing.

Blacks from the V20 is the most generous of all plasma models I had the pleasure of owning. And this translates to the best plasma for high definition movies to date.

IFC/24p:

Activating 24p from a High definition source like the PS3, will enable the V20 to go into "24p" mode. This mode will give you silky smooth pictures, almost like handy cam shots! Though judder is effectively eliminated; visual artifacts like flickers and some screen tearing were observed. This has always been a problem of 24p playback that stretches all the way back to the PV80/PY800. It hasn't been fixed, and will still advise people to stay away from these features.

...More Later...
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 01:32 PM »
Console gaming:

Playing MGS5 a native 1080p game on the PS3, and with the V20's game mode activated delivered spot-on input response time backed with very rich colors. Panasonic attempts to court gamers into their plasma format by giving you nearly the best of both worlds for gaming, namely - speedy response time with excellent picture quality to boot!

The green phosphor lag, however, is still present, and sensitive individuals can still make them out during vicious first person pans. I've been on the plasma format long enough to no longer be bothered by this issue, but it seems there is no workaround for this "problem" in the foreseeable future.

Image retention:

Now, unlike the C10,S10 and the Panny G11, the V20 seems to be more prone to this plasma limitation! Just a few minutes of gaming produced evident ghosting just like the old PV80. A flip to new content, however, washed it away quickly. Let's not be alarmed by this, simply because my V20 is still fresh off the pan, and may need to go thru with the 100 hours break-in period.

...More Later...
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 02:47 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 01:44 PM »
Thanks sir carlo for painstakingly doing these reviews! Waiting for the conclusion :)

Offline jetro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 02:05 PM »
I did a quick look (of the V20) over at SnS after lunch today.  Oh boy.. colors are really spot on, awesome details.  Of all the plasma I saw, this one looked good on 'bright showroom lights'.  I don't know if the unit on display have been calibrated already but it looked really good.  The reflectivity that turned me off with the C10 is not a problem with the V20.

Thanks for the review as always Carlo.  @Clondalkin, your tv shots got me intrigued, it looked really good so I had to check the TV out for myself.  I am not much of a plasma fan but I got my eyes set on this one :)
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 02:07 PM by jetro »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 02:30 PM »
I did a quick look (of the V20) over at SnS after lunch today.  Oh boy.. colors are really spot on, awesome details.  Of all the plasma I saw, this one looked good on 'bright showroom lights'.  I don't know if the unit on display have been calibrated already but it looked really good.  The reflectivity that turned me off with the C10 is not a problem with the V20.

Thanks for the review as always Carlo.  @Clondalkin, your tv shots got me intrigued, it looked really good so I had to check the TV out for myself.  I am not much of a plasma fan but I got my eyes set on this one :)

I asked my wife to check out the V20 at Ansons and the first thing she noticed - wel at least her feeling was - that the V20 there looked "reflective" than our V2 here - nearly as reflective as the S10 she said.  WHAT?  I hope the position of the display V20 relative to the store lighting was quite bad.   But then she mentioned that the reflection was very dark and blurred - good and hopeful signs because the S20 here is like a mirror indeed - and also kita din daw hair around the armpit of Emmy Rossum - hehehe - anyways got to check it out myself.

One physical difference with the Japanese V2 is that the V20 swivel base is body colored with smooth finish, while the Japanese model has leather-like texture and in black (as you may notice in my pics) - trivial stuff though.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 02:44 PM »
@jetro

Welcome boss! True!, the V20 is not reflective at all, almost like LCD lalang

@abcerase

Welcome boss! So far the only "issue" I have with the V20 is the I.R, which is not as tuff as let's say a C10,G11 or an S10.

Pati T.V menu's tend to get "stuck" kaagad and all I was doing was a little channel editing, which did not take longer than 10 mins. Madali naman nawala ;)

@Clondalkin

Pa post naman ng settings natin tsip!
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 02:46 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline yasmin

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Panasonic 42V20 Review (1ST/2ND UPDATE)
« Reply #81 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 03:30 PM »
Question lang mga bossing...

will this findings/review be same/true with a 50V20? or maybe different since the screen size is now bigger that flaws will be more evident???

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 03:31 PM »
@Clondalkin
Pa post naman ng settings natin tsip!

Hi Carlo.  I only rely on CINEMA and USER (but no adjustments at all) thus far.  I havent played on any of the manual PQ settings yet.    Kaya if I buy from Vic, I would save 1K because I dont think I need any calibration.   :)Perhaps after Vic calibrates your unit, you would kindly post the resulting settings here? hehehe.  Anyways, I think you're much better on PQ tweaks thus Im actually waiting for you to post your numbers later.   ;)

Yes, parang mabilis ang IR ng model na eto - good thing is, madali ngang mawala.

Pls. keep those reviews coming...thanks!

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 03:47 PM »

@abcerase

Welcome boss! So far the only "issue" I have with the V20 is the I.R, which is not as tuff as let's say a C10,G11 or an S10

Sir, kayo po boss :) By the way po, if I am going to a 50% gaming and 50% movies, is this still recommended po?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 03:54 PM »
will this findings/review be same/true with a 50V20? or maybe different since the screen size is now bigger that flaws will be more evident???

A full HD 50V is just about as dense as a 32V 720p panel - thus dense enough for most apps - I dont think a flaw, if any, would be more visible on a full HD 50V as it would be on a full HD 42V.

For instance, the so called "floating black" would exhibit just as evidently on any size, if it actually happens.

I.R., I think, is inherently dependent on the panel tech, so it should be the same.  Where there is abrupt change in contrast that stays static on the screen long enough, there would be I.R.  And take note, this V model is very very high contrast and bright which probably makes it more susceptible to I.R.

Lagging is most likely a FW issue or a broadcast issue.

24p video tearing - Im not sure if this is caused by the TV itself or the player.  But I like it anyways (24P setting I mean).

What other possible flaws do you have in mind?

In any case, you cannot totally rule out the possibility that some defects (especially manufacturing related), may be exclusive to certain sizes and/or batches.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 04:40 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 04:26 PM »
@Clondalkin

Cge tsip try ko yung THX calibrator mamaya ;) About the I.R akala ko ako lang hehehe. You're welcome boss!

@abcerase

Yes boss, I'd still recommend it but let me round it up later...few more testing pa ;)

I'll also get the calibration of boss Vic after 100 hours and see the difference.

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 04:49 PM »
Thanks so much sir :) Will wait for the conclusion :)
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 09:02 PM by abcerase »

Offline pinoy55

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 11:17 PM »
great review sir carlo. can't wait for the final verdict.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jul 16, 2010 at 12:39 AM »
Resolution enhancer:

The Panasonic V20 boasts of a feature called "Resolution enhancer", according to the product manual it...

"Enhances resolution to make images sharper".

Testing it on DVD does not seem to make a lot of difference, however, with gritty movies on Blu-Ray like "Bram Stokers: Dracula" and the classic "Clash of the Titans" you could see these images sharpen to improve over-all picture.

THX mode/True Cinema:

Yes, there is no THX mode on this unit but it was well covered by a picture setting called "True Cinema". "True Cinema" brings you closer to that ever elusive "movie" rendition that is warm to the eye and with colors that are rich and deep. Blacks seem even more gorgeous with this setting kept on for both Blu-Ray and dvd. The perfect settings for those with dimmer lighting environments! (Picture on reply#65 was set on True-Cinema and Resolution enhancer set to mid)

To be continued...

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2010 at 12:45 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jul 16, 2010 at 09:21 AM »
Resolution enhancer:

The Panasonic V20 boasts of a feature called "Resolution enhancer", according to the product manual it...

"Enhances resolution to make images sharper".

Testing it on DVD does not seem to make a lot of difference, however, with gritty movies on Blu-Ray like "Bram Stokers: Dracula" and the classic "Clash of the Titans" you could see these images sharpen to improve over-all picture.

THX mode/True Cinema:

Yes, there is no THX mode on this unit but it was well covered by a picture setting called "True Cinema". "True Cinema" brings you closer to that ever elusive "movie" rendition that is warm to the eye and with colors that are rich and deep. Blacks seem even more gorgeous with this setting kept on for both Blu-Ray and dvd. The perfect settings for those with dimmer lighting environments! (Picture on reply#65 was set on True-Cinema and Resolution enhancer set to mid)

To be continued...

It's becoming more and more interesting...