Author Topic: 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival  (Read 15969 times)

Offline lee1009

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
2010 Metro Manila Film Festival
« on: Jul 06, 2010 at 12:09 PM »
Eight entries have been chosen by the screening committee of this year’s Metropolitan Manila Film Festival-Philippines. This was announced at
a press conference at the Club Pilipino in Greenhills Commercial Center in San Juan City last Tuesday, June 29.

The 8 entries are the following (listed alphabetically):

Ang Agimat ni Enteng of Imus Productions Inc. and M-ZET Films, starring Ramon ‘Bong’ Revilla Jr. and Vic Sotto and directed by Tony Y. Reyes and Rico Gutierrez.

Dalaw of Cinemedia Films Production, Inc., starring Kris Aquino, Coco Martin and Diether Ocampo and directed by Jerry Lopez Sineneng from the script of Joel Mercado.

Father Jejemon of RVQ Productions Inc., starring Dolphy, Erich Gonzalez and Maja Salvador and directed by Frank Gray Jr. from the script of Bibeth Orteza.

Rosario of Cinemabuhay International Inc., starring Jennylyn Mercado, Dennis Trillo and Yul Servo and directed by Albert Martinez from the script of Elmer Gachalian.

RPG (animation) of ABS-CBN Film Productions Inc. and Ambient Media and directed by Luis C. Suarez.

Shake, Rattle & Roll 12 of Regal Entertainment Inc., starring Andi Eigenmann, Carla Abellana, Shaina Magdayao and Rayver Cruz and directed by Don Michael Perez and Topel Lee from the script of Onay Sales, Maribel Ilag, Jules Catanlag and Aloy Adlawan.

Super Inday and the Magic Bibe of Regal Entertainment Inc., starring Marian Rivera, Jake Cuenca and Vice Ganda and directed by Michael ‘Mike’ Tuviera from the script of Aloy Adlawan.

Ang Tanging Ina Mo Rin (Last na ‘To!) of ABS-CBN Film Productions Inc./Star Cinema, starring Ai-Ai de las Alas and Eugene Domingo and directed by Wenn V. Deramas from the script of Mel Mendoza-del Rosario.

Last year, eight film projects were selected but two of them eventually backed out. These were Ikaw na Nga of Star Cinema whose lead actress Kis Aquino begged off when her mother President Cory Aquino was hospitalized; and Nieves: The Engkanto Slayer, a Marian Rivera starrer of Regal Films and APT Productions whose director got sick.

Star Cinema fielded instead I Love You…Goodbye which eventually became the second top grosser with P94.3 million. There was no replacement for Nieves because of lack of time.

The other entries and their festival gross are as follows:

ANG PANDAY – starring Bong Revilla, Iza Calzado, Rhian Ramos, Geoff Eigenmann and Phillip Salvador, directed by Mac Alejandre and Rico Gutierrez for GMA Films and Imus Productions. P99.4 million

ANG DARLING KONG ASWANG – starring Vic Sotto and Cristine Reyes, directed by Tony Y. Reyes for Octo Arts and M-Zet Productions. P89.6 million

SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL XI – a horror film trilogy produced by Regal Films. P77.6 million

MANO PO 6: MY MOTHER – starring Sharon Cuneta, directed by Joel Lamangan for Regal Entertainment Inc. P42 million

NOBODY, NOBODY BUT JUAN – starring Dolphy and Willie Revillame, directed by Eric Quizon for RVQ Productions. P31.9 million

WAPAKMAN – starring Manny Pacquiao, directed by Toppel Lee and produced by Solar Films. P2.6 million

Source: http://filmacademyphil.org/?p=2007

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2010 at 02:35 PM by lee1009 »

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
Re: 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2010 at 12:19 PM »
Super Inday and the Magic Bibe COMEDY FANTASY
-Marian Rivera

No one can replace the original Maricel Soriano / Aiza Seguerra movie.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 02:54 PM »
Jinggoy Estrada made an intelligent statement yesterday when he requested that the MMFF be removed from the MMDA and turned over to people in the movie industry. Maybe that will turn it into a proper festival again and not a cash cow filled with Shake Rattle and Roll, Ai ai, Vic and Bong Revilla movies!

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2010 at 03:42 PM »
The only movie I'm forward to is the Dolphy flick. He makes everything watchable. And it's directed by Frank Gray, Jr (Omeng Satanasia, Dancing Master), whose last IMDB director credit is in 1982. I hope that it's old school Dolphy.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2010 at 03:46 PM by rusty »

Offline R2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2010 at 01:22 PM »
Jinggoy Estrada made an intelligent statement yesterday when he requested that the MMFF be removed from the MMDA and turned over to people in the movie industry. Maybe that will turn it into a proper festival again and not a cash cow filled with Shake Rattle and Roll, Ai ai, Vic and Bong Revilla movies!
It's about time the MMFF gets a drastic revamp,and yes,turning it over to the industry professionals will be a move in the right direction. As the highlight of the local industry's annual calendar, it has been a success commercially all these years,yet in it's current state as (supposedly) a showcase of our film heritage,it leaves much to be desired. It should be done the way other festivals elsewhere does it: #1 a government body like,say,the NCCA should run it  #2 a festival director assigned to oversee the whole event  #3  film-makers and professionals should sit as judges  #4 entries could be anything from the usual mainstream fare to the small indie projects, and categorised into "In Competition" and "Out of Competiton"  #5 studios/producers/film-makers should be enticed to come up with "prestige" movies and field them as entries  #6 "purely commercial" projects can be screened out of competition, as opening or closing film, or in galas  #7 a percentage of proceeds from the event could be channeled to fund retrieval/restoration of classic films and have them shown on a "retrospective section" #8 rethink of the prizes to be given should be considered (ie is there a point in giving an award for "Best Float"?)
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2010 at 05:35 PM by R2 »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2010 at 02:30 PM »
^those are great suggestions, R2, especially the "out of competition" movies so that the organizers will  still generate money but moviegoers will also have choices... but now that they've released the entries, wala nang pag-asa for this year?

i'd rather they screen na lang the best indies of the year so that a wider audience with no foreign movies options would get to see worthwhile pinoy movies.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2010 at 06:44 PM »
wala akoong alam sa mga techinicalities paano napipili ang mga entries natin...

napansin ko lang... ang oscars pumipili sa mga napalabas na na movies... dito sa atin on the making pa lang ang movies kasali na agad...

di ba dapat ipalabas muna bago makasali sa competition...???
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline R2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 02:44 AM »
@dpogs, the Oscars refers to the awards given by AMPAS, the American counterpart of our own Film Academy or FAP (which just recently named theirs as Luna Awards). The prizes are given to productions and achievements of the previous year, and there are criteria and selection procedures. A film festival (like the MMFF),on the other hand,is a film event that showcases works which were pre-selected to join as entries either for competition or just for plain exhibition. The MMFF is the biggest and most well-known in our country,but others such as Cinemalaya and Pelikula at Lipunan has been going on for quite some time as well. There are hundreds of festivals around the world, but the most popular and prestigious are the ones in Cannes (France),Berlin (Germany),Venice (Italy),and Toronto (Canada). All of them are international in scope,though. The Toronto Festival doesn't have an In Competition category. Imelda Marcos aspired to come up with a similar event with the ill-fated Manila International Film Festival. Nowadays, Cinemanila (under Tikoy Aguiluz) is the nearest effort we have in staging an international showcase.

Offline NMM1

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM »
hay nako ganun pa rin ang MMFF, walang pagbabago.. at leat wala na Mano Po pero elibs ako sa Shake, Rattle and Roll ha, anjan pa rin, hehehehhe.. I wonder what's new this time....

@dpogs, sir read this thread, to answer your question on criteria:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,105887.0.html
Rega | Schiit| Puffin | Yamaha | Dynaudio | ProAc | Accuphase

Offline lee1009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2010 at 05:56 PM »
It's about time the MMFF gets a drastic revamp,and yes,turning it over to the industry professionals will be a move in the right direction. As the highlight of the local industry's annual calendar, it has been a success commercially all these years,yet in it's current state as (supposedly) a showcase of our film heritage,it leaves much to be desired. It should be done the way other festivals elsewhere does it:

#1 a government body like,say,the NCCA should run it  

#2 a festival director assigned to oversee the whole event  

#3  film-makers and professionals should sit as judges  

#4 entries could be anything from the usual mainstream fare to the small indie projects, and categorised into "In Competition" and "Out of Competiton"  

#5 studios/producers/film-makers should be enticed to come up with "prestige" movies and field them as entries  

#6 "purely commercial" projects can be screened out of competition, as opening or closing film, or in galas  

#7 a percentage of proceeds from the event could be channeled to fund retrieval/restoration of classic films and have them shown on a "retrospective section"

#8 rethink of the prizes to be given should be considered (ie is there a point in giving an award for "Best Float"?)

Nice suggestions R2.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010 at 05:57 PM by lee1009 »

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2010 at 02:30 PM »
Albert Martinez directorial debut ROSARIO is creating buzz in terms of praise but MMFF always surprise us. Let's wait for the coming awards night.

Offline cianzepol

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2010 at 08:43 PM »
sino kaya ang gagawa ng eksena sa MMFF?
puro kasi magagaling e.. ;D
PSN: cianzepol

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2010 at 11:57 PM »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2010 at 02:43 PM »
moving my earlier post here:
Good news!
Box-office performance will not play a part in the selection of the Best Picture winner at the 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival.
Bad news!
But that’s a break just for this year, organizers announced on Thursday. “We could revert to the old criteria in 2011, depending on how this works out,” said MMFF executive committee member Ric Camaligan, president of the National Cinema Association of the Philippines.

source: http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20101120-304365/MMFF-rules-modified-just-for-now

Good news!
This year’s Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) will highlight not only commercial and big-budgeted films, but also indie movies.
Bad news:
Last i heard, sa megamall lang ang screening.
source: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view/20101025-299598/This-years-MMFF-to-highlight-indie-films

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2010 at 04:22 PM »
Still waiting for box office results of the MMFF.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 06:49 AM »
The Metro Manila Development Authority might hit or even exceed its goal of grossing P.5 billion during the 10-day 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival from Dec. 25 to Jan. 3, judging from the P89.7-million nationwide opening day gross of the eight official entries, broken down as follows:

1. “Si Agimat at si Enteng Kabisote,” starring Bong Revilla and Vic Sotto, P31 million.

2. “Ang Tanging Ina Mo (Last Na ‘To),” starring Ai-Ai delas Alas, P20 million.

3. “Dalaw,” starring Kris Aquino, P12.5 million.

4. Shake, Rattle & Roll XII, with an all-star cast,P11.8 million.

5. RPG: Metanoia, a 3D animated film, P5.1 million.

6. Super Inday and the Golden Bibe, starring Marian Rivera and John Lapus, P4.7 million.

7. Rosario, starring Jennylyn Mercado and Dennis Trillo, P3.2 million.

8. Fr. Jejemon, starring Dolphy, P1.4 million.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=642980&publicationSubCategoryId=63

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 07:27 AM »
 >:( Tanging Ina mo as best picture....
Wenn Deramas best director. Albert Martnez snubbed, not even nomnated.
Ai-ai wins over Jennylyn.

- T##* ina talaga!!! Ano yun?!!
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2010 at 07:29 AM by blitzkrieg »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 08:19 AM »
A crap film beats Rosario last night. I thought the jurors are credible this time?! And Albert Martinez was not even nominated for best director?!
Seconding blitz post......t.....ina tlga!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 09:51 AM »
They had 3 or 4 Average Juan De La Cruz Moviegoers as among the jurors. Average Juan De La Cruz Moviegoers generally do not have the best taste in film.

And I thought RPG would do better, quite frankly.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM »
now that's what you call fried. :o

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM »
Si Agimat at Si Enteng Kabisote opened at P31 million and here's a film review

http://www.bworldonline.com/main/content.php?id=23410

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 01:39 PM »
They had 3 or 4 Average Juan De La Cruz Moviegoers as among the jurors. Average Juan De La Cruz Moviegoers generally do not have the best taste in film.

And I thought RPG would do better, quite frankly.

The jurors include National Artist Bienvenido Lumbera and also Maning Borlaza....how come that silly film emerged as the winner?!

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 04:06 PM »
Personally I don't really get the fuss. MMFF hasn't exactly been a bastion of quality and credibility for more than a decade now. I don't really see this as being more insulting or suprising or silly as when Resiklo, Enteng Kabisote 3 or Ang Panday won the Best Picture.

I'd even argue that the same applies for when Magic Temple won (sorry,keats ;D) but then again looking at that year's entries, I can't see which of the seemingly crappy films it could've robbed. I've only seen Magic Temple but have a feeling it was a little better than Aring King King.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2010 at 04:06 PM by X44 »

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 05:37 PM »
poor manny pangilinan...he spent so much on his movie Rosario and few people are watching it...pampalubag loob na lang sana ang awards and this happens. it would have also helped a little in the box office.
while i like how they trimmed down the number of nominees per category, i am shocked that jennylyn mercado wasn't even nominated! the only "actresses" nominated along with ai-ai were Marian Rivera for super inday and carla abellana for shake rattle roll!!! to think that jennyln's role was the so-called acting piece/pang-award. what a slap in the face!

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 05:51 PM »
The MMFF is more about making money than appreciating film art.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2010 at 06:26 PM »
@X44: agree with you about Magic Temple. Hahaha. Seriously I would prefer Rpg over Tanging Ina the latter which is just pure entertainment compared to Rosario which I believe had better technical craftmanship and much superior story telling compared to that Deramas flick. Mmff tried to change the rules on their system but still they come up with such mind-boggling winners. San kaya nakuha yung apat na outsider jurors and as Klaus said....they have no good taste in films.
Sana kayo tatlo na lang nina Chard and oggs ang kinuha jurors.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2010 at 05:12 AM »
I feel you,keats.  Haven't seen Rosario so I can't weigh in but opinions have been mixed about it so I myself am not too sure if it was robbed, but I have a feeling that it's not half as good as most of the Cinemalaya or Cinema One films this year. I could be wrong, of course. But if you ask me, man, the MMFF isn't really worth the attention , the controversy or the fuss anymore. I think the last really good film to come out of it was . . . I don't know, Crying Ladies ba? Or Gagamboy? It's becoming less and less representative of so-called Philippine cinema with each year. And less and less a barometer of quality, too. it's a circus is what it is and  something we shouldn't take seriously anymore, IMHO. And if a film like Magic Temple can win in 1996, what more in 2010?

And it's no loss, really. With Cinemalaya and Cinema One and Cinemanila and even the MMFF's own rather patronizing "indie" section, not to mention other random indies,  having a relatively strong and prolific showing this year alone, mas maganda na lang tuunan ng pansin yung isang katerbang pelikulang lumabas during the major part of the year than the 8 that came out at the end of it. Those other films definitely need our attention and need to be discussed more thoroughly and extensively, I think . . at isama mo na diyan ang mga pa-tsamba-tsambang Star Cinema na lumalabas kagaya ng My Amnesia Girl na lahat ng nakausap ko ay puring puri.

Having said that,though. I just saw Shake Rattle & Roll 12. Jerrold's Punerarya episode is a doozy. A must. I might go watch RPG and Rosario this week if I can find the time. But I really wish I could still see the films in the "indie section". Too bad that I can't. Oh well.

Tsaka salamat sa pagrekomenda sa pagiging jurors. May bayad ba yan? Kung meron, game. Balak kong bumili ng bagong cellphone e.  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2010 at 05:28 AM by X44 »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2010 at 10:33 AM »
Wish I could see Shake 12. I'll say this, tho--more interested in the MMFF nominees than in the Golden Doorstop nominees or winners. Just more interested, is all. ;D

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2010 at 06:21 PM »
Since it's all about business, they should just stop the pretensions and drop the "award-giving" part of the festival, except maybe for the BEST FLOAT award.  I don't see anything wrong with that!

For more the serious moviegoers, let's admit it that film festivals like Cinemalaya is today's MMFF!
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2010 at 06:22 PM by rse »