Author Topic: Sighted BD : Journey Live in Manila!  (Read 4636 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sighted BD : Journey Live in Manila!
« on: Jul 15, 2010 at 07:14 AM »
I saw this yesterday at Astroplus Shangri-la Edsa.  SRP is P1,500.  The DVD versions (1 disc and 2 discs) have been out for a while now but I am holding on for a BD version, checking Amazon every once in a while but wala eh.  Now the BD is here!

I was tempted to grab it but decided to wait for reviews but seems like wala pa din BD reviews.  Reviews on the DVD are quite encouraging:

from techie.com.ph - "Live in Manila was held on March 14, 2009, at the SM Mall of Asia concert grounds. It was originally recorded in 4K ultrahigh-definition cameras, the same equipment used to capture Michael Jackson's This Is It....Unfortunately, given the limitations of the DVD format, the images had to be scaled down to standard resolution. It's still a joy to watch, but it's definitely no HD"

Now that it has been encoded to Bluray, will the HD really pop?  I watched this concert at MOA last year and if the BD presentation is good, i would definitely buy this at P1,500.  

Any reviews so far?
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 07:16 AM by mattia »

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Sighted BD : Journey Live in Manila!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM »
I OWNED the Live In Manila DVD that is a Region 1. If the report said the event was filmed on a high-def camera, I saw no high-def quality on the DVD, whatsoever. The image resolution is inferior - thats what it is. If you wanted a true razor-sharp Journey-Pineda DVD get the Revelation 2-CD/1-DVD combo. Thats the definitive Journey film that truly delivers a superior picture although the stage is consistently dark and the repertoire is a mere 12 songs. I'm no Journey completist but the BD might deliver a more sumptuous picture, though the song set is so long - somehow Journey overstays its welcome there.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010 at 10:26 AM by ALICE GO »

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM »
I OWNED the Live In Manila DVD that is a Region 1. If the report said the event was filmed on a high-def camera, I saw no high-def quality on the DVD, whatsoever. The image resolution is inferior - thats what it is. If you wanted a true razor-sharp Journey-Pineda DVD get the Revelation 2-CD/1-DVD combo. Thats the definitive Journey film that truly delivers a superior picture although the stage is consistently dark and the repertoire is a mere 12 songs. I'm no Journey completist but the BD might deliver a more sumptuous picture, though the song set is so long - somehow Journey overstays its welcome there.

Thanks for the quick reply Alice. I'm no Journey completist either.  I have two very old CDs (Steve Perry) that I still keep and I'm fine with that.  I just want a copy of Live in Manila because (1) my wife and I were there and (2) it's a pinoy who's the lead singer.  I just want to get the best presentation, both for video and audio. Hopefully the 1080p and DTS-HD make a lot of difference.    I will try to ask Astro if I can test the BD first before buying it.  If not, hmmm.  We'll see.  I'll post a review here,  if ever I buy it.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM »
They have to sell the DVD first which caters to more viewers, I'm pretty sure the BD will justify the equipments they used. Agree witn Alice, the revelation DVD PQ is more superior than this one. Maybe the downscaling has something to do with it? Heck, this is still a must own DVD / BD!   

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM »
They have to sell the DVD first which caters to more viewers, I'm pretty sure the BD will justify the equipments they used. Agree witn Alice, the revelation DVD PQ is more superior than this one. Maybe the downscaling has something to do with it? Heck, this is still a must own DVD / BD!   

Frootloops, are you referring to Live in Manila or Revelation?  So are you encouraging a purchase for this BD?

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 02:00 PM »
Frootloops, are you referring to Live in Manila or Revelation?  So are you encouraging a purchase for this BD?

Both..  ;D. The BD is just the icing on the cake .   

A new album will be released by the last quarter of this year. 

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 04:36 PM »
Both..  ;D. The BD is just the icing on the cake .   

A new album will be released by the last quarter of this year. 

Cool! Alright.  Thanks for the replies!!!  I'll post a review once I get hold of the BD.

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2010 at 07:55 PM »
I believe the reason why they recorded it in 4K is for the master copy to be in High resolution. Now if it is recorded in DVD then that resolution is downgraded, thus PQ also will suffer. Now IF the BD is still poor in terms of PQ, then the one who made the BD should be ashamed of themselves in not giving it justice.
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2010 at 11:55 AM »
i watched the concert too :) i also was kinda hoping for a good review of the BD. But it is my target to have this before the end of the year i hope.

OT John Mayer will be performing here in Manila next month i think, hope its god as it should be

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2010 at 11:32 AM »
Finally got a hold of this BD!  Arrived last night from HK.

Impressions on this HK release-

superb packaging (much better than some US release, and way way better than local release)
handsome inside artwork plus a nice booklet about the band journey

PQ - MP4/AVC encoded.  Superb clarity and sharpness.  HD na HD ang dating!  The leather jeans of Arnel Pineda looked fantastic.  You can see the sweat in all performers and the skin marks in the guitars and drumset.  There were some out of focus shots but overall, the PQ was way beyond my expectation.  Truly glorious.  Any videophile will surely love this.

SQ - has 5.1 DTS standard, 5.1 HD DTS, and PCM 2.0.  Let's put it this way - I've heard better sound before.  But it's not that bad.  Just crank up your volume and enjoy Arnel Pineda's powerful voice.  I'm a Journey fan and hearing Arnel sing Faithfully, Open Arms and Separate Ways blows me away.  The new song After All Those years is also fantastic.

Concert footages and shots were also done logically and wonderfully.  Marunong na rin yun dumiskarte yun director! 

My wife and I have seen this live at the MOA but we were quite far from the stage.  Watching this in high def UP CLOSE is really an experience for us.  Love this and I will surely watch this again and again and again. 

some more footnotes,

- in several occasions, arnel pineda pointed the microphone towards the audience when actually, there were no more lyrics to be sung, just instrumental!  hahaha.
- ang dami pala nanood na foreigners grabe.

Offline vgsison

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2010 at 05:11 PM »
Tempted to have one since sa HK is near anyway. Where did you buy this in HK and how much did it cost you?

Thanks for the information.
GE Triton5, Aon3, SC X, SS3, Marantz 7010/XPA3 Gen3/Dual SVS Ultra/Panny PT-AR100 Oppo 103