Author Topic: If i put up a pre-owned buy and sell DVD, CD and record store .....  (Read 4603 times)

Offline flavi1967

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello people, i need your input on this...
I am being offered a place in Shoppesville Plus (ground floor) Greenhills to put up a Buy and sell used or brand new DVD, CD and Record store.
My question is this....
Will you go and buy if ever i put up one ?
Do you think its still a good idea ?
most of the items will be stuff i will be purchasing from people who will sell locally, and from my supplier in Hong kong (most are european and japan pressing cds), as for the records, it will be mostly 12 inch records for now, then will slowly go into full length albums
let me know here......

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
Shoppesville is a risky location.

Odyssey was there for 20 years and they still shuttered.

Risky ang storefront locations now mas lalo na if your products aren't really high demand or hard to acquire.

My advice is to run it online at least for 6 months. You work at home, your exposure is controlled. If your online business grows warranting a storefront, only then should you invest in a store.

What you need is savvy web presence combined with web marketing.

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
What is your business model?
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline edgarryan

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Hello people, i need your input on this...
I am being offered a place in Shoppesville Plus (ground floor) Greenhills to put up a Buy and sell used or brand new DVD, CD and Record store.
My question is this....
Will you go and buy if ever i put up one ?

Yes, I will, if ever the items and the prices are right.

Do you think its still a good idea ?

For me, it still depends on what you are selling.  There are lots of stores which have a limited clientele, like collectors, but still they thrive.  Having an online store will significantly lessen your overhead costs.  But then again, you will have to compete with millions of other stores which probably sell the same products.  I prefer to see the items first hand kasi, though I still rely on the internet for those items I cannot find locally.  As to the location, I do not have anything against Shopesville.  I frequent the place for my toys.  I guess it's a matter of maintaining a store there, then advertising online, and, of course, finding your niche.  You already have a lot of potential customers here.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2010 at 12:29 AM by edgarryan »

Offline flavi1967

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
well, the rent is pretty cheap and the location is on the 1st floor near the entrance of the shopessville plus....maybe its worth the gamble. just have to make sure my items are different from an odyssey or astro shop in terms of title and price.

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
GH has always been a place worth going to when you're looking for other stuff not available in the malls anyway...good location for something like this but not a great one. I think there'd be more of a market in Makati.

But I'd go there... ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
I recall a few shops selling used hifi equipment at the basement of Makati Cinema Square.  There's also a store selling used vinyl records and another shop selling copied content of hard-to-find audiophile CDs/SACDs which were selling like hotcakes with orders form customers.  It's been quite a while since I've visited and bought from these shops. I wonder if they're still thriving. You could follow their business model of selling used stuff and you'd be the first in your area.  

Just check if there are legal restrictions on selling used DVDs/CDs and DVDs from other regions.

It's been a month since you asked.  Were you able to put up the store?

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2010 at 07:53 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
a. Why did your previous (similar) store at the same location shut down?

b. Honestly, I think it's an extremely bad idea. Video/audio on physical discs is a dying business. All of my friends just download... or buy pirated products.

c. If you STILL do, though, I'll consign about 1000 DVDs from my collection with you, ok? I need the space!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2010 at 11:40 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

c. If you STILL do, though, I'll consign about 1000 DVDs from my collection with you, ok? I need the space!  ;D

And that is why I'd go there...consignments from pdvd members!!! ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline jonjon

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Collector
  • 41 steels and counting
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 326
And that is why I'd go there...consignments from pdvd members!!! ;D

Yan ang masarap abangan dyan!!! ;D  Mura na, garantisadong inalagaan pa!!! ;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
consider hiring a delivery boy  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II