Author Topic: PINOY Films GREATEST MOVIE Moments  (Read 22626 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:PINOY Films GREATEST MOVIE Moments
« Reply #30 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 10:25 AM »

Bro indie boi...you can also be a doctor.

Why not prescribe some medicines to those s**tty starlets who doesn't know how to act?  ;D

Cyanide?

That's good for them...baka sakali may mapiga sa kanila especially kay Batya Santos.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 10:27 AM »
SRR 1 was really a ground breaking defeat in few horror movies in Philippine cinema.

I've only watched the remake of Patayin sa sindak si Barbara because I cannot find anymore any vhs or the movie is not available also on cable.

Any chances that I can find it Bro indie boi?  ???

I only saw it on TV many many years ago. Maybe Video 48 has a copy.

Hey indie boi, where it is located?

Thx! 8)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #32 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 10:31 AM »

Bro indie boi...you can also be a doctor.

Why not prescribe some medicines to those s**tty starlets who doesn't know how to act?  ;D

Cyanide?

That's good for them...baka sakali may mapiga sa kanila especially kay Batya Santos.  ;D

Well, iba ang naiisip kong pigain kay Katya, hahaha!  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 10:31 AM »
SRR 1 was really a ground breaking defeat in few horror movies in Philippine cinema.

I've only watched the remake of Patayin sa sindak si Barbara because I cannot find anymore any vhs or the movie is not available also on cable.

Any chances that I can find it Bro indie boi?  ???

I only saw it on TV many many years ago. Maybe Video 48 has a copy.

Hey indie boi, where it is located?

Thx! 8)

I haven't really been there. Reuven or X44 can give you the exact directions since both of them are members.

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Video 48
« Reply #34 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 10:37 AM »
howdy, keating!

Video 48 is along West Ave, QC. If you're coming from Quezon Ave., turn right sa Delta rotunda. Once you do, go straight, it'll be to your right. Tapat ng Petron station. If you're coming from EDSA naman from North Ave., turn right to go to West Ave, then it'll be to your left. Again, landmark is the Petron station. Hope this helps.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Video 48
« Reply #35 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 11:27 AM »
howdy, keating!

Video 48 is along West Ave, QC. If you're coming from Quezon Ave., turn right sa Delta rotunda. Once you do, go straight, it'll be to your right. Tapat ng Petron station. If you're coming from EDSA naman from North Ave., turn right to go to West Ave, then it'll be to your left. Again, landmark is the Petron station. Hope this helps.

Thanks reuven malter!  :D

X44 sent me the location a few weeks back thru pm but I accidentally delete it.  :(

Thanks again and I'll start my search on Sunday.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 11:56 AM »
Well, I really wouldn't know how painfull it is to have an anurism attack...

Ruptured brain aneurysm symptoms:

* Localized Headache
    * Nausea & Vomiting
    * Stiff Neck
    * Blurred or Double Vision
    * Sensitivity to Light (photophobia)
    * Loss of Sensation

De Leon may have suffered from cinematic aneurysm which can be characterized by extreme dramatics.   ;)

Yeah. It seems he's been suffering form it a long time now. Its probably a lingering ilness ;D Hehehe!
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:37 PM by RMN »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 12:00 PM »
Well, I really wouldn't know how painfull it is to have an anurism attack...

Ruptured brain aneurysm symptoms:

* Localized Headache
    * Nausea & Vomiting
    * Stiff Neck
    * Blurred or Double Vision
    * Sensitivity to Light (photophobia)
    * Loss of Sensation

De Leon may have suffered from cinematic aneurysm which can be characterized by extreme dramatics.   ;)

Yeah. It seems his been suffering form it a long time now. Its probably a lingering ilness ;D Hehehe!

Too true, my friend.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 06:35 PM »
But some are saying that Boyet is still the all-time best actor of our generation.

Offline ROCKaBILLY

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 11:13 AM »
batang quiapo-joseph estrada/imelda ilanan
the scene where joseph is carrying a sick child in the emergency room of a hospital and was refused entranced because they are poor. the boy is in the brink of death while the doctors are talking about the party they are going to that night.
that drramatic moment really touched my soul. its so current (the film was done in the 60's) i keep on seeing that scene everytime i hear or see injustice being done to our poor people.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 12:32 PM »
Erap got so carried away in that scene that he used the sick child's legs to swipe at the doctors.  :)

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 12:53 PM »
A Noranian posted this at another forum but I thought I'd share it here too:

1. Nora in Nakaw na Pag-Ibig standing on the edge of a ravine. She is pregnant. Her face is clear. She imagines the possibilities of the place. The reflections, the romance and the possibility of murder. She looks at the man beside her (Philip Salvador) and suspects his motives. She panics and plunges to her death. The wide range of emotion she displayed during that scene from calm to hysteria can only be played out by a true artist whose talent is "pure instinct", according to Bernal.

2. Nora in Bulaklak sa City Jail giving birth alone at night inside a cage at the Manila Zoo. People find her. She cradles her newborn, holds on to it, protects it. Recall how she squints as flashlights blind her. This powerful primal image of giving birth is unequalled in film history. Nora was, at that moment, not human. She was a nocturnal animal giving birth in the dark.

3. Nora, the flower vendor in Condemned, locked in a battle of steely nerves against a crazed mobster matriarch (Gloria Romero) over a bounty of dollar bills in Nora's possesion. Gloria taunts her. They're fake, she says. Nora remains calm. She burns the dollar bills one by one. Her eyes cold as she defies evil, "Fake?"

4. Nora, the unfavoured daughter in Bakit Bughaw ang Langit. Three sequences capture her character's transformation, from quiet sufferance, to defiance and ultimate liberation. 1) She waters cactus plants with complete devotion. Recall the almost zen-like manner in which she performs this task, her only source of fortitude against her abusive family; 2) She is thrown out of the house. As neighbors struggle to hold her still, she hurls in pain one of the most memorable lines of Nora Aunor against her oppressors in Philippine cinema - in this case, her mother, a former actress (Anita Linda). "Laos na kayo Inay!", her delivery solid and crushing; 3) The family moves away and as the truck leaves, we see Nora across the street, wearing a t-shirt and a skirt and holding all her possessions in one small luggage. She is, finally, on her own.

5. Himala. Not the raved climactic scene where Nora, the faith healer was fatally shot but the funeral scene. Her power begins to fail and children die one by one. Nora in black, attends the funerals, a white cloth wrapped around her forehead and a veil covering her head. One of the dead children's mother lunges at her and curses that she will go to hell. Recall how this jolts Nora, as if stabbed. And how she wailed. I remember reading an interview with actress Susan Valdez about that scene. "It was as if all the pain she went through in life was captured in that single moment…". True, like a dam that suddenly cracked and burst.

6. Nora, the fan in Bona. Two scenes. 1) After abandoning her family to serve her idol, she returns to attend her father's wake. Clearly, she is unwanted. She walks to the coffin in fear. She presses her face to her late father's. Close-up of her final respects, her grief clenched tightly like a fist. A tear falls. Suddenly, her brother pulls her hair so violently, she gasps in shock, her momentary grief interrupted by a more painful assault. A mute sequence only La Aunor could give the unbearable weight it requires. Which brings me to the finale. 2) Betrayed by her idol, she seethes behind a pot of boiling water. If you want to see Nora at her most disturbing moment, when all hope is lost - recall how she stares blankly at the steam rising from the boiling pot: vengeance and madness darkly, quietly brewing.

7. In Atsay, Nora the maid is alone in the kitchen. She is going to eat her meal. She does not sit at the table. She eats standing right next to the corner where she cooks and washes dishes. She does not use utensils. She uses her hand and eats a mouthful. She almost throws up. The food is spoiled. It does not revolt her. She does not get angry. If she is sorry for herself, we do not see it. As if it had to happen naturally once in a while. Classic.

8. In Minsa'y May Isang Ina, all hope is gone for Nora and she loses her sanity. In a burial, she cracks and regresses. She believes she is being abandoned. She clings to her younger sister and starts calling her "Ate! Ate!" Much has been said about the wide range of emotions Nora's eyes can convey but if you want to see her eyes dead, as if the soul itself had departed, watch her final scene at home where she stuff her mouth with crumpled paper and then hangs herself.

9. Nora, the nurse riding the New York subway train in 'Merika. This scene was repeated several times in the film. It's not much. Nora simply stands in the crowd. She does not have to do anything. But the message is clear in her face: her life has no meaning; it is a pointless ride from one station to another. Nothing interests her. I hate to compare but Gil Portes did the same thing for Vilma in Miss X but the effect was laughable. Only Nora could portray displacement.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2003 at 12:55 PM by pinoymovies »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 08:28 PM »
That funeral scene in HIMALA was full of pain and anguish also the scene where one of Elsa's friend joined her in the funeral played by Gigi Duenas, the prostitute.

I saw on cable REMINISCING HIMALA and the interviews with Charo Santos, the exec. producer of ECP and the other cast members were worth watching!

I just hope this will be added feature in case Star Cinema release this classic Bernal flick on dvd.  :)

Offline pink moon

• Collector
  • Impetuous! Homeric!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jun 09, 2003 at 11:38 PM »
-The final scene in Maynila sa Kuko ng Liwanag
-The scene where Kulas talks to the kids about their being Filipino in Ganito Kami Noon, Paano Kayo Ngayon.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jun 22, 2003 at 11:01 PM »
More great scenes from Pinoy Movies as posted at another forum but I think deserved a space here too:

MAYNILA, SA MGA KUKO NG LIWANAG -napakagandang pelikula, napakaraming magagandang eksena. Namumukod tangi:

1) noong sinabi ni Tommy Abuel kay Bembol Roco na patay na si Hilda Koronel (Ligaya Paraiso) sa mga kamay ng isang intsik, sabay paso ng sigarilyo sa palad ng kamay, habang nagtatawanan naman ang isang grupong nagkukuwentuhan;

2) galit na pinuntahan ni Bembol iyong bahay ng intsik at pinatay ito, pero hinabol siya ng mga tao, tumakbo siya pero dead end iyong natakbuhan niya, may mga pamalo ang humahabol sa kanya, wala siyang laban, tumulo ang mga luha niya, in slow motion, fade out, then pinakita si Hilda Koronel na naglalakad in a dream like sequence...the end! Wow!

T-BIRD AT AKO - iyong eksena na natutulog si Vilma Santos sa kuwarto at pinagmamasdan siya ni Nora Aunor --in love siya rito at pinapawisan, those Nora Aunor eyes, habang inaawit iyong song that Nora sang: "Himala ng Panahon." It goes: "paano na nga ba ito, ako ba'y himala ng panahon.." Nora's finest moment in the movie.

Another scene from the same movie:
Vilma: ang hirap sa'yo, sala ka init, sala ka sa lamig,
isinusuka ka ng diyos, iniluluwa ka ng langit!
Nora: sige,ayan, bukas ang pinto...magsama kayo ng lalaki mo!!! mamataay na rin kayooo!!!

Iyong almost ending na, na tanggap na ni Vilma na t-bird si Nora at papatol na siya: "Di bale, katawan lang naman ito eh, pag nalawayan, eh di maligo..." or something like that. At iyong eksena na nanigarilyo si Vilma sa may banyo, hinihintay si Nora para mag-usap sila ng lalaki sa lalaki(?), pasuntok-suntok ng kamay, at nang may kumatok ay tinapon ang yosi sa bibig, sabay flush sa banyo at sinabing: "Pasok!" Vilma's best scene in the movie.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: PINOY Films GREATEST MOVIE Moments
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 08:08 PM »
Lorna Tolentino reconciling with her mother-in-law dying of cancer played by Ms. Gloria Romero and Isabella de Leon uttering the word "perya" in Maryo J. delos Reyes' MAGNIFICO.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2005 at 08:09 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 10:48 PM »
But some are saying that Boyet is still the all-time best actor of our generation.

De Leon could have retained that title if not for the fact that his performances, starting from his movies in the 80's,  have become too mannered and OA.

Philip Salvador could could've gotten that title, if not for his decision to shift to the cheeky one-line banality of Filipino action movies. 

Personally though, I'd give the distinction of "the best actor of our generation" to Bembol Roco. Even in the smallest of roles, the guy's talent shines.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #47 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:51 AM »
Philip's 'talent' was created by Brocka. When he died his acting died.

De Leon is mucho overrated.

I think you can only name single performances--Vic Silayan in Kisapmata, Pancho Magalona in El Filibusterismo.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 03:59 AM »
70's is the best pinoy films so far.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 09:15 AM »
De Leon could have retained that title if not for the fact that his performances, starting from his movies in the 80's,  have become too mannered and OA.

Philip Salvador could could've gotten that title, if not for his decision to shift to the cheeky one-line banality of Filipino action movies. 

Personally though, I'd give the distinction of "the best actor of our generation" to Bembol Roco. Even in the smallest of roles, the guy's talent shines.

Yeah De Leon's performances have become too mannered and sometimes hysterical. Does he have an eye on directing movies?

Very few actors can become great filmmakers.

Offline loonzhaus

• Collector
  • born to love NORA AUNOR
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:35 PM »
Bro RMN accdg. to the late Ishmael Bernal, the scene in Relasyon was shot only in one take as oppose to the climactic scene in Himala where Bernal used a military strategy.

based on Ricky Lee's account as published in his anthology book, Si Tatang at ang mga Himala ng Panahon, the climactic scene in Himala was shot "tuhog" style utilizing multiple cameras, cranes, etc.  Joel Lamangan was crowd director.  and yes, it was likened to a military strategy 'coz they made sure that everything was in place and choreographed well kasi nga sobrang laki ng eksena and they cannot afford to miss anything dahil sayang ang production cost.  Nora Aunor's monologue was take one considering she was playing mahjong with the other stars prior to the take (at may last minute changes pa sa script na ibinigay sa kanya na nakasulat lang yata sa palara ng sigarilyo).  i still believe that it is one of the best scenes ever captured in pinoy movies.

gusto ko rin 'yung exodus scene ng Oro, Plata, Mata though may pagkakahawig siya duon sa similar scene sa Gone With the Wind.  hindi ko napanuod nang buo ang Bona kaya 'di ko alam ang intensity nung burol scene duon kung saan kinaladkad si Nora palabas ng bahay pero may dalawa akong burol scenes na nagustuhan -- ang sa Minsa'y Isang Gamu-gamo (My brother is not a pig) at Naglalayag (No.....wait.....).  and yes, sino nga ba ang makakalimot sa "You're nothing but a second rate trying had copycat" scene ni Cherie Gil at Sharon Cuneta.....   :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:42 PM »
What if Vilma Santos took over the role of the superstar in Bernal's HIMALA? Will that climactic scene still powerful?  ???

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 04:59 PM »
I'm sure going to ruffle the feathers of a lot of vilmanians here...

But I don't think Santos can hold a candle to Aunor's quiet intensity. If you look at it, De Leon and Santos subscribe to the same school of acting. One of the few Santos performances that I love are Pagputi ng Uwak, Pag-itim ng Tagak and Burlesk Queen. Come to think of it, the only Santos performances I really loved are those where she was directed by Celso Kid.

I think Jaclyn Jose is a much better actress than Santos. Wala lang syang star power, which is a shame as we are wasting a such a great talent because of the star system.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 06:50 PM »
I'm sure going to ruffle the feathers of a lot of vilmanians here...

But I don't think Santos can hold a candle to Aunor's quiet intensity. If you look at it, De Leon and Santos subscribe to the same school of acting. One of the few Santos performances that I love are Pagputi ng Uwak, Pag-itim ng Tagak and Burlesk Queen. Come to think of it, the only Santos performances I really loved are those where she was directed by Celso Kid.

I think Jaclyn Jose is a much better actress than Santos. Wala lang syang star power, which is a shame as we are wasting a such a great talent because of the star system.

i agree with you on this one indie boi... not because i'm a Noranian... but even Bernal said that he wouldn't direct Himala if Nora Aunor isn't going to play the role of Elsa. it's one of those tailor made roles that even Ricky Lee told me in a conversation once that when he started writing the script for Himala he wrote it with Nora in mind.

with Vilma... i liked her performance in Bernal's Broken Marriage and as a film i loved Dalawang Pugad, Isang Ibon. Jaclyn Jose is a wonderful actress... magnificent in White Slavery, Takaw Tukso, Private Show & Itanong Mo Sa Buwan. but even in supporting roles she still manages to shine just like in Magdusa Ka! & Macho Dancer but i was just turned off by her hysterics in Naglalayag.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2005 at 06:51 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 06:55 PM »
What if Vilma Santos took over the role of the superstar in Bernal's HIMALA? Will that climactic scene still powerful?  ???

i cannot see any other actress playing the role of Elsa in Himala other than Nora Aunor. the film is powerful mainly because Nora's performance is as powerful or maybe even more...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 07:01 PM »
In terms of performance/acting intensity no doubt no other actress in Philippine cinema could match what Nora did to that climactic scene in HIMALA......yeah those eyes......brilliant.....brilliant......brilliant......

Nora should have a grand slam feat for that year as oppose to what Vilma did in RELASYON incidentally another Bernal flick but I liked her performance in
 BROKEN MARRIAGE (this movie should have won Vilma's grand slam feat), TAGOS NG DUGO, SISTER STELLA L.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 07:52 PM »
In terms of performance/acting intensity no doubt no other actress in Philippine cinema could match what Nora did to that climactic scene in HIMALA......yeah those eyes......brilliant.....brilliant......brilliant......

Nora should have a grand slam feat for that year as oppose to what Vilma did in RELASYON incidentally another Bernal flick but I liked her performance in
 BROKEN MARRIAGE (this movie should have won Vilma's grand slam feat), TAGOS NG DUGO, SISTER STELLA L.

the sad thing is most of the film critics who preffered Vilma's performance over Nora's Himala took 23 years to realize how magnificent her transcendent performance was in the Bernal masterpiece. i guess in 1982 the moviegoing public wasn't ready for a film like Himala.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 07:57 PM »
I think the reason for Santos bagging those awards over Aunor is because of the Filipinos' penchant for hysterics. They equate over-the-top performances with superb acting while overlooking nuanced and understated acting as "hindi acting".

this preference is still evident today not even in the world of acting but singing too. Warblers and belters are considered better singers.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 08:39 PM »
How come the critics didn't notice or simply bypass Nora's superb performance in
 HIMALA???

Jojo is right it took them 23 years to realize their mistake and only the MMFF realize that they were right in giving the Best Actress plum to Ms. Nora Aunor. But then during that year Vilma's entry was HAPLOS.

That's the problem with our audience indie boi the penchant for hysterical acting.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2005 at 08:49 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 21, 2005 at 08:23 AM »
I don't know if I already posted this one, but the necrophilia scene before the bloody finale in Peque Gallaga's SCORPIO NIGHTS demands to be seen several times.

The Greatest Shocking Moment in Philippine Cinema........ :o :o :o