Author Topic: Philippine BD versions  (Read 7949 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Philippine BD versions
« on: Aug 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM »
I hope we can have more comments about official Philippine BD releases to help us decide whether it's OK to buy a Philippine BD version.

=================================

The Prestige US Region A version has a confirmed "BD Rot" issue.  I bought a local release of The Prestige last month from Astro Podium.  OK naman, no BD rot so far.

Saving Private Ryan Phil. version was recently released.  Does anybody know if this is an audio-corrected version?  

The corrected US Region A has a yellow UPC bar code on the back cover, and has blue print on the disc 1.  The Philippne version has a white bar code; I don't know if it still has silver print on the disc 1.

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010 at 01:03 PM by barrister »

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Philippine BD versions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2010 at 03:12 PM »
Out of curiosity, maganda ba yung quality control nila sa BD releases here? Particularly the one you bought? What makes me shy away from local releases (talking about DVDs) is the washed out covers and the below average quality cases (especially those transparent ones).

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM »

Yes, the local BD releases are good.  Everything looks imported, from the disc to the cover to the casing.

The bad SD DVD releases are the locally-produced ones.  Print and casing can be very low quality, and content can be compressed.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 02:12 PM »
I got 2 titles from the Astro BD sale at Podium:

Godzilla (P999.)

Slightly better than DVD.  Picture still looks like an old movie.  Ok na rin, at least that's better than having artificial sharpening and other enhancements.  

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (P999.)

Good sound and picture.

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2010 at 09:54 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2010 at 01:58 PM »
Se7en - It's the recently-released New Line/Warner remaster.  Single-disc, P1,550 at Astro.  Very film-like video quality.

The Matrix - Single-disc, P1,550 at Astro.  If you only want part 1 of the trilogy but you don't like Digibooks, this is the version for you.  

« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2010 at 09:53 PM by barrister »

Offline volrathj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2010 at 11:03 PM »
Mga sir sa recent sale at astro ang lowest price bluray movie nila is 750 pesos. Meron din na 999 mga disc version naman.  ;D

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 01:54 AM »
Looks like I need to visit Astro soon.  :)

Offline joelsoldao

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • "Cute sa picture gwapo sa personal"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM »
Daming choices sa podium.hehe

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2011 at 11:20 PM »

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

Early release for the Philippines from Warner; P1,550 at Astro Megamall.

US release date is April 5, 2011.

Good video, no EE, no DNR.  Very film-like quality, but definitely not demo material.

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2011 at 11:20 PM by barrister »

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 06:15 PM »
The number of Philippine BD versions has been increasing, from my casual shopper's eye - Limitless and Source Code to name two.

The boxes look low-quality. Any feedback on actual disc quality?

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM »
C Interactive for both Limitless and Source Code.  The boxes (Slipcover) looks okay to me...  They are extras, since Magnavision or Viva doesn't have slipcovers for their Blurays.

Just a note, C Interactive Blurays seems okay, with the exception that they are authored specifically for the Philippines (Their logo appears when you insert  the disc into your player)...

Kudos, also for their Php 1295 price (versus Php 1550 for Magna and VIva)...However, I still think, the ideal price for Blurays is 999 for new releases, that way, most people will just buy locally instead of elsewhere...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2011 at 11:12 PM »
it's to bad na mas mahal pa din ang blu ray dto tapos mas less ng features..

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 05:57 PM »
it's to bad na mas mahal pa din ang blu ray dto tapos mas less ng features..

Like? Can you give us a few examples?

It just seems like a hasty generalization without any specific examples, paticularly since no one on this thread has mentioned any missing features so far. Maybe link to the other threads that mention some, kung meron. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011 at 05:58 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 06:11 PM »
^ Slight OT:

I haven't purchased any local BDs from Astro or Odyssey as of yet so I wouldn't know how to compare them from US sourced discs.

I want to note, though, I recently got The Fifth Element BD. Based on the markings, it's a Canadian release (French translations on the case cover, etc.) The only special feature it had was a trivia track. However, on the Ultimate Edition DVD release, there's an included second DVD with hours of special features.

I just thought it was funny to compare those two releases.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 09:56 PM »
I've actually heard of local "releases" that do not have complete supplemental content.  Is this true? 

Medyo napansin ko rin na walang digital copies na kasama sa mga package.

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM »
Digital copies are not included mainly because of copyright restriction.  Many software like iTunes require US addresses to activate the digital copies.  Yes, most people know it's possible to circumvent the system, but you can't do that openly, and the copyright holders won't allow that.    Puwede yata kung Windows Media Player, but I am not sure...  Hence no Digital Copies.  Even with DVD, there is only one title that comes with it (I forgot the title) but it was long ago...

I am more pissed that they do not release Combo (DVD+Bluray), since many Region A title do so, and they are priced at the same price as local Bluray are.  Viva did try once with prince of Persia, but hanggang that title lang.   And no 3D version too, I may not have a 3D TV, but I would rather future-proof myself by paying, say $8 more for the 3D version that have to shell out $30 later (buying the 3d standalone Bluray disc) when I got myself a 3D TV.   

Which is among the reason I passed on  the 1,700 Php Thor when I saw it earlier this week, while having missed the movie on the theatre, I would love viewing it at home, but Bluray only?   The US get a 3D+2D Bluray+DVD+Dogital Combo for pretty much the same price, so I have not watch it in theatre a few months back, surely I can wait a few more weeks, to get a better version for the same amount of money...  I like the DVD since I can pop it in on portable DVD players and view it on the go (when I am not driving, that is), the digital copy is extra gravy...

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 07:59 PM »
Like? Can you give us a few examples?

It just seems like a hasty generalization without any specific examples, paticularly since no one on this thread has mentioned any missing features so far. Maybe link to the other threads that mention some, kung meron. Thanks.

I would say Digital Copy is one thing. One sample is the LOTR Extended Edition I bought from them as posted by Tech Dude. And other sample like thor

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 08:07 PM »
^ But.... doesn't the LOTR Extended Edition Blu-Ray have, like, six 8.6 hours worth of special features, each (for a total of over 26 hours worth of special features)? And the retail DVD versions do not have the included Costa Botes documentaries on each movie.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2011 at 08:22 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 08:20 PM »
Digital copies are not included mainly because of copyright restriction.  Many software like iTunes require US addresses to activate the digital copies.  Yes, most people know it's possible to circumvent the system, but you can't do that openly, and the copyright holders won't allow that.    Puwede yata kung Windows Media Player, but I am not sure...  Hence no Digital Copies.  Even with DVD, there is only one title that comes with it (I forgot the title) but it was long ago...

You're right. I remember that, too, but I can't remember which DVD. I think it's a superhero movie, correct me if I'm wrong.

When I got my US Blu-Ray copy of The Dark Knight, I was able to download the digital copy without any restrictions. It was a .wmv file.

I am more pissed that they do not release Combo (DVD+Bluray), since many Region A title do so, and they are priced at the same price as local Bluray are.  Viva did try once with prince of Persia, but hanggang that title lang.   And no 3D version too, I may not have a 3D TV, but I would rather future-proof myself by paying, say $8 more for the 3D version that have to shell out $30 later (buying the 3d standalone Bluray disc) when I got myself a 3D TV.

Wasn't the first batch of Toy Story 3 BDs combo discs (DVD+BD)? I seem to remember the Astro salesperson saying it was a three-disc combo but now it was changed to the regular 1(?)-disc BD selling for P999.

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 08:41 PM »

Which is among the reason I passed on  the 1,700 Php Thor when I saw it earlier this week, while having missed the movie on the theatre, I would love viewing it at home, but Bluray only?   The US get a 3D+2D Bluray+DVD+Dogital Combo for pretty much the same price, so I have not watch it in theatre a few months back, surely I can wait a few more weeks, to get a better version for the same amount of money...  I like the DVD since I can pop it in on portable DVD players and view it on the go (when I am not driving, that is), the digital copy is extra gravy...

Wow P1,700!  Even if you order the 3D version of Thor from Amazon and have it shipped, it still comes out cheaper than 1.7k.   :o

Offline techdude

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM »
I think, most of the time, if the Philippine Bluray have the same number of BD discs as the US version, the features (ie extra features, commentaries, deleted scenes) are the same.   Of course, if you are comparing 2-discs to 1-discs (Bluray alone, not BD-DVD Combo), that's not Apples-to-Apples.   

Digital Copies is something that will not happen soon, so no need complaining.  Copyright limitation.  Unless Amazon or Apple open their software to us, it's a pipe dream.  As said, the US digital copies on Philippine computers is a loophole, not something that we should legitimately call 'feature'.

BD-DVD Combo is easier for the distro to provide, if they wished, but maybe the demand is really too low to make it worth their while.  Just a point, in the local LOTR thread that Magna posted, I think they talked about bringing in an additional 80-sets of the Trilogy, which they had hoped to sell themselves (cut out the middleman), but there seems to be less than that number of takers, since they are now on display at Astrovision...

As for pricing, I say, just vote with your wallet.  I rather not complain if Thor is Php 1700, because, distributors have to make a profit, and have bills to pay.  Not to mention, Astro (or Odyssey) have to take a cut of that 1,700.  And there's the issue of duties and taxes.   We all know that, most of the time, Amazon purchases are not levied duties, so unless you want them to close that loophole, then start complaining...

I rather, think if paying the extra php is worth viewing the Bluray ahead of those who imported, if so then buy it locally, if not...

There are also times, when the local bluray is the top tier Bluray released in Region A, C Interactive's Resident Evil: Afterlife features the Bluary 3D and 2D version, whereas in the US, you have to get the Bluray 3D version to get the same.   Granted, the price, is pretty much the same (not counting the shipping and handling), but if you consider what I said in fourth paragraph, then the Local versionj could be considered cheaper.

As said, vote with your wallets.  Personally, I bought numerous C Interactive Blurays (Limitless, Red, Source Code) since I consider their 1295 (on release) pricing fair.   I also bought Viva's Alien Anthology Egg and Sound of Music Gift set (Php 2500) since they are cheap.  As for LOTR, I bought one (But since sold it since I also have a US one bought somewhere here on order then), I consider the Php 4995, okay (not cheap, but fair),  I get to view LOTR ahead of my US copy, and that I think is worth it...  so to each his own...

Offline karzai

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 08:16 PM »
When I got my US Blu-Ray copy of The Dark Knight, I was able to download the digital copy without any restrictions. It was a .wmv file.

How big is the digital copy file?