Author Topic: Stars Wars Saga finally comes to Blu-Ray!  (Read 20512 times)

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ‘Star Wars’ Gets New Tweaks for Blu-ray Release
« Reply #30 on: Sep 10, 2011 at 02:10 PM »
so jar jar is digitally removed in this new release?

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Sep 10, 2011 at 04:29 PM »
I FIRST saw Star Wars in Republic Theater in Libertad Pasay in 1978. Libertad then was quite upscale comparatively, light years away from the grimy, filth-encrusted place it is now. Could never understand why we pug-nosed, hopelessly brown, Third World-er Pinoys would go along with white people going crazy over George Lucas & his Star Wars. But I won't fault this man from altering his work especially if it'll help upgrade the SFX of the near-35 year old film and sequels. Star Wars is no Cecil B. DeMille epic or a Technicolor musical, its a space fantasy, the creator should be given the creative license to improve his motion picture - given that an aged fellow like me who saw the original does indeed contends that some segments are crudely done, or half-baked technologically. To update Star Wars for the present century and viewers, is like giving titanium bones & spine to an 85 year old, rejuvenate his skin to that of a 55 year old and bring back his intimacy desires as if he's just in the median 45.

And if Lucas is indeed serious to alter yet again when the state of art Blu Ray resolution is at 4K, kindly remove Samuel Jackson. That nasty-faced, overrated sanggano is a blight to every picture he's got an appearance. Why would Lucas has to choose likewise to be politically-correct, by hiring this black just so that the casting is democratized like Hollywood dictate it so? Nasty-face has played Jedi sage (more like a humanoid from the other planet-ary confederation), Agent S.H.I.E.L.D. (Shield is white, why make him like a black-uniformed Spiderman, that Venom?), violin maker - bwahaha!

Kaya order na kayo kay Philip, this is a rejuvenated Star Wars, and BD no less....

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2385
« Reply #32 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 02:44 PM »
Being a star wars freak, ;D I will surely get this. I can't wait.

Review in blu-ray.com is out.

Star Wars Blu-ray
Blu-ray review
Movie    4.0 of 5    4.0
Video    4.0 of 5    4.0
Audio    5.0 of 5    5.0
Extras    4.5 of 5    4.5
Overall    5.0 of 5    5.0

The moment is finally here. On Friday, George Lucas' epic Star Wars saga will make its debut on Blu-ray in HD for everyone to enjoy. So the question on everyone's mind naturally is, does the Star Wars Blu-ray release live up to the expectations? Luckily, Blu-ray.com's own staff reviewer Casey Broadwater has the answer.

While the new Star Wars video transfers/restorations represent "an exponential leap in picture refinement, integrity, and clarity from previous DVD releases" and for the most part look wonderful, the first two Star Wars prequels, especially The Phantom Menace, leave some to be desired. The good news is that the original Star Wars trilogy doesn't disappoint. Casey concludes "I can't imagine these three films looking much better than they do here. I suppose it's possible, but I'll leave that for Lucas to figure out."

As for the audio, it's good news all around. "I don't even need to write up separate audio reviews for each of the films. You know why? Because these lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 surround tracks are perfect."

To summarize Casey's thoughts about the Star Wars Blu-ray release, "The films have never looked or sounded better—Episodes III-VI are particularly impressive—and they come with a fantastic collection of special features." and is highly recommended.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #33 on: Sep 16, 2011 at 03:50 PM »
Nice one Raymond, I know you're very impatient...let me know when u get this, I wana take a look too... ;D

Wow in Amazon, so many fanboys are screaming murder at Lucas...  :o Blu-ray.com rates it 5-star so I guess the fanboys are over acting... ;D Over 840+ 1-star rating!! U can check out at the Amazon feedbacks:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/product-reviews/B003ZSJ212/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Sep 16, 2011 at 05:10 PM »
Say what they want to say but just note that the image and sound quality of this release is simply ASTOUNDING!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2011 at 05:21 PM »
Say what they want to say but just note that the image and sound quality of this release is simply ASTOUNDING!

Agree! They are missing out the BIG picture. Isn't it great video & great audio is what Blu-ray all about? Can't wait to get mine! :D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #36 on: Sep 16, 2011 at 06:20 PM »
Nah, they're missing out on the LITTLE picture, since primarily it's the integrity of the work that's important, and how good it looks on home video should be the secondary concern for any true lover of film as an art.  :P

Steven Spielberg weighs in on the controversy. He gets it.  :) :

How does Steven Spielberg feel about the tweaks that his friend and frequent collaborator George Lucas continually makes to the Star Wars movies, often to their detriment? "That's a little hot topic, isn't it?" Spielberg said to laughter at a 30th anniversary screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark in Los Angeles this week. "Speaking for myself, you know, I tried this once and I lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but simply because I was disappointed in myself. I was overly sensitive to some of the criticism E.T. got from parent groups when it was first released in '82 having to do with Elliott saying 'Penis Breath' or the guns ... and then there were certain brilliant but rough-around-the-edges close ups of E.T. that I always felt, if technology ever evolves to the point where I can do some facial enhancement for E.T. I'd like to." And so Spielberg did, but after releasing the new version theatrically, "I realized that what I had done was I had robbed the people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. And I regretted that." Be good, Steve.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/09/spielberg_regrets_et.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nymag%2Fvulture+%28Vulture+-+nymag.com%27s+Entertainment+and+Culture+Blog%29
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Kd Jb

• Trade Count: (+113)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 16, 2011 at 09:24 PM »
wow cant wait to have a copy of this, over 40hours of bonus features. Out na cya sa d2 sa sg pero sobrang mahal, 189sgd x 34.30.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2011 at 09:40 PM by Kd Jb »

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 16, 2011 at 09:39 PM »
Star Wars on Bluray is the best version you can get at the moment in terms of PQ and SQ, so if Lucas' tinkering, does not bother you, then by all means, get the Bluray.

I think all the brouhaha is because:
1.  it is done so long after the original have come out (director's cuts are, after all, common these days).
2. George Lucas does not make the original version available simultaneously, and the last time it was made available, it was a half-hearted release.
3.  this isn't the first time it happened.
4. and most importantly, most of the time, the changes do not benefit the film one bit.

I read an article that the original Star Wars was nominated for numerous Oscars, and Lucas' tinkering is an insult to the original crew who worked on the films.

But despite my own reservations, I will get it, and given, that I am not someone who knows every detail about Star Wars, would probably miss the changes, unless I read them on the internet...But for sure, I will notice that '"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 16, 2011 at 10:54 PM »
Nice one Raymond, I know you're very impatient...let me know when u get this, I wana take a look too... ;D

Wow in Amazon, so many fanboys are screaming murder at Lucas...  :o Blu-ray.com rates it 5-star so I guess the fanboys are over acting... ;D Over 840+ 1-star rating!! U can check out at the Amazon feedbacks:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/product-reviews/B003ZSJ212/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

;D Yes I'm indeed impatient ;D. Everyday I check my email to see if amazon shipped it out already. So far they haven't. :(

I always loved star wars bec. it brings out the kid in me again. ;D Paul, imagine watching this in your home theater setup or in Streetsmart's setup. Oh man, I think it will be mighty awesome.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM by Moks007 »

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #40 on: Sep 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM »
sir Paul,
When you do get Star Wars BD, please do inform me.
I would like to see it your HT  :D :D

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #41 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 12:02 AM »
Nah, they're missing out on the LITTLE picture, since primarily it's the integrity of the work that's important, and how good it looks on home video should be the secondary concern for any true lover of film as an art.  :P

Steven Spielberg weighs in on the controversy. He gets it.  :) :

How does Steven Spielberg feel about the tweaks that his friend and frequent collaborator George Lucas continually makes to the Star Wars movies, often to their detriment? "That's a little hot topic, isn't it?" Spielberg said to laughter at a 30th anniversary screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark in Los Angeles this week. "Speaking for myself, you know, I tried this once and I lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but simply because I was disappointed in myself. I was overly sensitive to some of the criticism E.T. got from parent groups when it was first released in '82 having to do with Elliott saying 'Penis Breath' or the guns ... and then there were certain brilliant but rough-around-the-edges close ups of E.T. that I always felt, if technology ever evolves to the point where I can do some facial enhancement for E.T. I'd like to." And so Spielberg did, but after releasing the new version theatrically, "I realized that what I had done was I had robbed the people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. And I regretted that." Be good, Steve.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/09/spielberg_regrets_et.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nymag%2Fvulture+%28Vulture+-+nymag.com%27s+Entertainment+and+Culture+Blog%29

+1 to this.

The Star Wars I first saw in the cinema when I was young isn't what's on this BD release. The nature of it has changed so much that it's a completely different movie. And Lucas doesn't want to give me his original masterpiece, even though I'm willing to pay for it.

Sure, there are other movies that have been re-released as "re-mastered". Blade Runner comes to mind. But, unlike Scott's film, the vision of Star Wars as it was made will never come back.

The original trilogy wasn't parts IV, V, and VI. Anakin Skywalker never reverted to his younger self in Return of the Jedi. Vader's betrayal of his master was silent. And Han shot first.

I hear the picture quality and sound are HT excellent. So does practically every other Blu-Ray release out there. What makes this one any special?

What's special is this series isn't for us who knew that story. It's for a different generation that's been given a whole different story. And when Lucas re-releases Star Wars in 2021, the alterations he'll definitely make will be for that generation.

Who knows? Maybe he'll digitally get rid of Jar-Jar Binks and Anakin Skywalker on that future release. For once, I'll agree to change.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #42 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 01:47 AM »
I honestly don't think seeing Hayden (instead of Sebastian Shaw) at the end of ROTJ is worth the price of admission.  :(

Sana talaga may original theatrical release na available on blu-ray.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 02:34 AM »
;D Yes I'm indeed impatient ;D. Everyday I check my email to see if amazon shipped it out already. So far they haven't. :(

I always loved star wars bec. it brings out the kid in me again. ;D Paul, imagine watching this in your home theater setup or in Streetsmart's setup. Oh man, I think it will be mighty awesome.

Hehe I can feel your excitement Raymond...  ;) In this case, bring your SW BD over my place to do demo hehe

sir Paul, When you do get Star Wars BD, please do inform me.
I would like to see it your HT  :D :D

That will depend on Raymond if he is willing hehe ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 02:47 AM »
But despite my own reservations, I will get it, and given, that I am not someone who knows every detail about Star Wars, would probably miss the changes, unless I read them on the internet...But for sure, I will notice that '"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

haha most ordinary folks are in the same boat as you bro. Will all these changes hinder my enjoyment for these films? I would certainly say: NOOOOO!! ;D

*********************************************************************************

I find the Blu-ray.com reviewer Casey Broadwater to be rational rather than emotional:

"No, the "untouched" original trilogy is not included. Yes, there are some goofy new additions, like Darth Vader yelling "NOOOOO" as he throws Emperor Palpatine over the railing. I don't think anyone expected this release of The Complete Saga to be free of controversy. But come on. It's Star Wars. On Blu-ray. This is a once-in-a-technological-generation event, and if your hatred of George Lucas' revisionist tinkerings keeps you from enjoying some of your favorite films in high definition, you're missing out. Believe me, I share your pain.

Whenever I hear that stupid funk song inside Jabba's palace, I cringe like a man being forced to bite down on tin foil or chew sand. It's almost physically painful. But I'm done being bitter. I'm playing the long game. One of these days, Lucas will wise up and realize that the original trilogy—in its original form—is a culturally and historically important piece of pop art that belongs to its fans. But until that day, I'm going to enjoy this Blu-ray box set. The films have never looked or sounded better— Episodes III-VI are particularly impressive—and they come with a fantastic collection of special features. Highly Recommended!"

Well said Casey!  :)

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 03:14 AM »
I honestly don't think seeing Hayden (instead of Sebastian Shaw) at the end of ROTJ is worth the price of admission.  :(

That one scene ruined ROTJ. It was out of context and Hayden's posture was distant. The popular explanation was his image was taken during a makeup and costume screen test. Hence, the disjointed nature of the scene.

I find the Blu-ray.com reviewer Casey Broadwater to be rational rather than emotional:

"No, the "untouched" original trilogy is not included. Yes, there are some goofy new additions, like Darth Vader yelling "NOOOOO" as he throws Emperor Palpatine over the railing. I don't think anyone expected this release of The Complete Saga to be free of controversy. But come on. It's Star Wars. On Blu-ray. This is a once-in-a-technological-generation event, and if your hatred of George Lucas' revisionist tinkerings keeps you from enjoying some of your favorite films in high definition, you're missing out. Believe me, I share your pain.

Whenever I hear that stupid funk song inside Jabba's palace, I cringe like a man being forced to bite down on tin foil or chew sand. It's almost physically painful. But I'm done being bitter. I'm playing the long game. One of these days, Lucas will wise up and realize that the original trilogy—in its original form—is a culturally and historically important piece of pop art that belongs to its fans. But until that day, I'm going to enjoy this Blu-ray box set. The films have never looked or sounded better— Episodes III-VI are particularly impressive—and they come with a fantastic collection of special features. Highly Recommended!"

Well said Casey!  :)

Yup. That sums it up. A movie for technology enthusiasts everywhere :)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #46 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 03:21 AM »

But come on. It's Star Wars. On Blu-ray. This is a once-in-a-technological-generation event...

Then the 3D version will come out, with even more revisions.   :(
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011 at 03:22 AM by Verbl Kint »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 06:44 AM »
Pinuyat ako ng Episodes II and III kagabi but really getting old as I opened my eyes at exactly the same time I always do every morning.

Gustong nilang isnabin?  Bahala sila.  Sila rin   ;D ;D ;D.    I am actually amazed that some people remember every single detail of the original trilogy.  hehehe.    

I for one rarely watch catalogue titles but Star Wars in Bluray thus far, is certainly worth my time, Jar Jar Binks nothwithstanding - that character really sucks.   But the more I watch Star Wars, the more I feel that there are too many cartoonish characters that Lucas could have gone without.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011 at 07:02 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline FrancisS

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Collector
  • Drive your car and speakers safely!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 06:46 AM »
I'm a big fan of star wars, cant wait to see it myself in BD.  

I for one hope that they release fully restored EPISODE 4-6 in BD, with NO additional footages, and free of CGI. If Criterion would do this, then that would be perfect.

I'm still getting the recently released BDs, even if Darth Vader is said to say "NOOOOOO!"  

May the force be with all of you!
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Aaudio/Wharfe 9.3,9CM,9.1
Sony BDP S570+PS3
Pilyo Amp4v2 + 2 12" JBL GT5

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 06:52 AM »
Pinuyat ako ng Episodes II and III kagabi but really getting old as I opened my eyes at exactly the same time I always do every morning.

Gustong nilang isnabin?  Bahala sila.  Sila rin   ;D ;D ;D.    I am actually amazed that some people remember every single detail of the original trilogy.  hehehe.   

I for one rarely watches catalogue titles but Star Wars in Bluray thus far, is certainly worth my time, Jar Jar Binks nothwithstanding - that character really sucks.   But the more I watch Star Wars, the more I feel that there are too many cartoonish characters that Lucas could have gone without.

Jarjar can really be annoying. I love the original trilogy, watched it a lot during childhood on VHS, hehe.
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 07:28 AM »
Hitlers reaction on said changes.  ;D

http://youtu.be/NBP_U5VAB-Q
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 08:19 AM »

Why a Boycott of ‘Star Wars’ Won’t Work
14 Sep, 2011 By: John Latchem

The latest uproar among ‘Star Wars’ fans over changes to the films has led some to call for a boycott of the new Blu-ray edition of the saga that hits Sept. 16. The thinking is that poor sales of these edited versions will somehow convince George Lucas to release the unaltered original versions on Blu-ray.

It’s a fine sentiment that I think is just a bit misguided since it doesn’t take into account the bigger picture. There are several reasons I believe such a boycott will never have the desired effect:

1) “Star Wars” as a brand has grown beyond the original trilogy. I think at this point Lucas could stick all versions of the original trilogy in a drawer somewhere and never release them again and still rake in millions from “Star Wars.” Beyond the merchandising, the “Clone Wars”-era movies and shows have become a hugely popular aspect of the franchise with the younger generation, who actually consider the original trilogy to be weak, too slow and devoid of enough action to satisfy them. This highlights the generational gap that is driving calls for a boycott, and as the documentary The People vs. George Lucas points out, a lot of these older fans have simply not been able to “grow up” since first seeing Star Wars, and thus their protest is a way of demonstrating their love for the franchise beyond the newer crop of fans.

2) Lucas doesn’t believe the original versions represent his vision of the films. This point really comes down to the dichotomy of Lucas the businessman versus Lucas the artist. As an artist, Lucas has previously stated, during the debate over colorizing old films, that he doesn’t believe works of art should be altered. But his later actions indicate it’s OK if the changes are done by the artists themselves. Obviously, the fans think this is hogwash and make the claim, as “South Park” did, that once released, films and other works of art belong to the culture. Lucas is toeing a tricky line here because he has spent the better part of 30 years redefining what “Star Wars” means, and then acting as if the redefinition was the way it has always been. He says a film is never finished, simply abandoned, and that he always wanted to go back and correct things he wasn’t able to do before. So whatever the latest version of “Star Wars” is represents his true vision of the films. This means, ironically, that the original versions cheapen his current version in a way, and dilute his true vision, which may be why he’s so opposed to really putting them out there despite the fact there is high demand for them and they would probably make money. He is, in essence, taking a stand as an artist against corporate greed, which may be his own personal protest against the notion that his vast media empire has become the very kind of big business he used to complain about as a naïve young filmmaker. This is probably also the main reason he refuses to officially release The Star Wars Holiday Special. Whether or not his own artistic sensibilities have diluted over the years is a matter of debate. Further complicating the issue is that he has held onto the rights to distribute the films, something a lot of other creators don’t really have. So it’s not like the original versions don’t still exist. Those just aren’t the versions Lucas wants the public to see.

3) The original versions were already released. Lucasfilm put the original versions on the 2006 individual versions of the original trilogy, with one disc as the special edition and the other the theatrical version as a bonus feature. Now, this re-release reportedly didn’t sell according to expectations, so if one were to interpret this from a capitalist perspective, one could make the claim that if the versions with the theatrical cut didn’t sell that would be an argument AGAINST releasing these in the future. This of course ignores the fatigue fans must have been feeling about seeing a new VHS/DVD “Star Wars” release every two years, and the fact that the versions of the DVD were non-anamorphic transfers used for the 1993 laserdisc. But that doesn’t negate the fact that they’re out there. Fans want to harp about their omission from the Blu-ray, but they don’t complain that nearly all the previous bonus material ever released is also absent from the Blu-ray, meaning to keep it all they’d have to hold onto their old copies anyway. As an aside, I find it a bit amusing that a lot of fans in badmouthing the Blu-ray version have expressed their contentment with simply holding onto those old laserdiscs, even though that DVD version has got to be a lot more convenient.

4) Lucas is about more than “Star Wars.” While Lucas will always and forever be linked to the franchise he created, it is not the only thing driving him creatively. It’s always seemed to me that Lucas has had a love-hate relationship with “Star Wars.” I think he loves his creation and is happy it has been so successful, but I think he regrets how that success in some ways prevented him from making the smaller, more personal films he always dreamed of making. So even if no one bought any more “Star Wars” products ever again starting now, I think Lucas would see that as the franchise running its course, and he’d count that as a blessing that it’s time to move on. He still has “Indiana Jones” to milk, and though he never wanted the corporate power he now has, he has managed to extend his hands into a lot of ancillary businesses. Lucasfilm even licenses the term “Droid” to Motorola. Are the boycotters going to suggest people stop buying cell phones? Even if Lucas is deprived of incoming cash from a massive "Star Wars" boycott and needs funds for other projects, he shouldn't have any trouble teaming with any number of studios or sponsors. After all, he's George Lucas.

5) Why should Lucas care? I’ve always gotten a sense that Lucas is a bit passive-aggressive about “Star Wars.” He’s happy to reap in the millions of dollars it brings him, but he wouldn’t mind if it went away and he could focus on other things. Or he could just retire completely and sit on the piles of money he already has. So maybe the belligerence over the original versions is fueled by this apathy. We know he has a sense of humor about it, since he’s worn “Han Shot First” shirts in public. He knows the fans hate some of the changes. Maybe he’s thinking if he pushes these fans enough, they’ll go away. Which isn’t to say Lucas hates the fans, since he has always been supportive of the fan community (which a cynical person would say is just a way to keep them buying stuff). But he’s made it this far re-releasing the films without considering the fans, so why stop now? He’s been altering these films since they first came out in 1977. He probably sees the more vocal haters as a small fringe and doesn’t care what they think. And if just the fans of the original trilogy go away, he still has “The Clone Wars.” So he’s really, kind of brilliantly, hedged his bets here. There’s nothing more dangerous than a man who doesn’t really care.

My point is not that fans shouldn’t complain or take action. If that gives them a sense of purpose (however illusory it may be), then more power to them. Just don’t be surprised if the result is not what was intended.

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 08:21 AM »
Hehe I can feel your excitement Raymond...  ;) In this case, bring your SW BD over my place to do demo hehe

That will depend on Raymond if he is willing hehe ;D

;D Anytime, just get the food and champagne ready hehehe.. ;D

Offline FrancisS

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 09:27 AM »
;D Anytime, just get the food and champagne ready hehehe.. ;D

Uy! StarWars Movie EB!?
Pana42V20
Onkyo609
Sony BDP S570+PS3

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 02:26 PM »
Why a Boycott of ‘Star Wars’ Won’t Work
14 Sep, 2011 By: John Latchem

The latest uproar among ‘Star Wars’ fans over changes to the films has led some to call for a boycott of the new Blu-ray edition of the saga that hits Sept. 16. The thinking is that poor sales of these edited versions will somehow convince George Lucas to release the unaltered original versions on Blu-ray.

It’s a fine sentiment that I think is just a bit misguided since it doesn’t take into account the bigger picture. There are several reasons I believe such a boycott will never have the desired effect:

1) a lot of these older fans have simply not been able to “grow up” since first seeing Star Wars, and thus their protest is a way of demonstrating their love for the franchise beyond the newer crop of fans.

2) Lucas doesn’t believe the original versions represent his vision of the films.

3) The original versions were already released. Lucasfilm put the original versions on the 2006 individual versions of the original trilogy, with one disc as the special edition and the other the theatrical version as a bonus feature. Now, this re-release reportedly didn’t sell according to expectations, so if one were to interpret this from a capitalist perspective, one could make the claim that if the versions with the theatrical cut didn’t sell that would be an argument AGAINST releasing these in the future. This of course ignores the fatigue fans must have been feeling about seeing a new VHS/DVD “Star Wars” release every two years, and the fact that the versions of the DVD were non-anamorphic transfers used for the 1993 laserdisc. But that doesn’t negate the fact that they’re out there. Fans want to harp about their omission from the Blu-ray, but they don’t complain that nearly all the previous bonus material ever released is also absent from the Blu-ray, meaning to keep it all they’d have to hold onto their old copies anyway. As an aside, I find it a bit amusing that a lot of fans in badmouthing the Blu-ray version have expressed their contentment with simply holding onto those old laserdiscs, even though that DVD version has got to be a lot more convenient.

My point is not that fans shouldn’t complain or take action. If that gives them a sense of purpose (however illusory it may be), then more power to them. Just don’t be surprised if the result is not what was intended.

Personally, I'm not calling for a boycott simply because this bluray release wasn't meant for me in the first place. It's for the current generation of fans. So, kebs ko dyan  ;D But, if sales are affected negatively... that's just schadenfreude  ::)

On #2, Lucas doesn't have a vision for Star Wars. We all know he'll make more changes in 10-15 years on the next generation hi def format altering the "original vision" he had on blu-ray. Better yet, he might re-release this on blu-ray again with "enhanced" visuals and "special features" in 5 years.

On #3, the author answered it already. The original theatrical release didn't get the respect it deserved, thus, poor sales. End of story.

Yeah, everyone knows Lucas sleeps on a bed made out of fans' money and he doesn't care what people think of his actions. That doesn't mean we should stop forming opinions. Who does he think he is?

I believe we'll be seeing more articles from George Lucas apologists like this in the coming weeks.

Overall, the article just validates the fact that this current blu-ray release isn't about Star Wars at all. It's about a work of art versus technology. This was made for people's home theater systems, not nostalgia or "art" or story.

For home theater systems!  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011 at 02:35 PM by Dan »

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 02:34 PM »
The only reason I'm buying a bluray of the series is because I want to see Star Wars in HD. I've seen the original version and wouldn't mind watching it in the best possible video my TV can put out. I can live through the changes because it's a "little" compromise for me as long as the story from a galaxy far, far, away doesn't significantly change it. All this sheet could've been avoided if Lucas just put two versions in HD: the original and the updated one.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 02:37 PM »
The only reason I'm buying a bluray of the series is because I want to see Star Wars in HD. I've seen the original version and wouldn't mind watching it in the best possible video my TV can put out. I can live through the changes because it's a "little" compromise for me as long as the story from a galaxy far, far, away doesn't significantly change it. All this sheet could've been avoided if Lucas just put two versions in HD: the original and the updated one.

Like Steven Spielberg did with the past E.T.: The Extraterrestrial  DVD release and future blu-ray release. That's one reason fans aren't being too hard on him.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 02:58 PM »
If you'll just compare Spielberg to Lucas just take a closer look on their filmography....and the answer lies there. Maybe Lucas should listen to the rant of the fans and cinephiles regarding their opinions and release also the original version on bd.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Sep 17, 2011 at 03:13 PM »
I will wait at the discount bin for this BD. ;D

Offline FrancisS

• Collector