Author Topic: Out Of The Loop  (Read 1375 times)

Offline dannielsimone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Out Of The Loop
« on: Aug 20, 2010 at 01:55 PM »
Am currently using a generic DVD player.  They have served me very well. Was as good  as  branded (Pioneer/Sony) players with no region restrictions.  Am thinking that although they are functionally OK are they providing the best quality picture?

What branded DVD player should I consider to provide excellent quality viewing?  and  is there a player (modestly priced) that will play not only DVD but also BD?

This is my first post in this section for a few years and am pleased to meet you all...again.

Thanx for reading.

Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Out Of The Loop
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 02:04 PM »
i think the cheap pioneers are already region free

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 05:17 PM »
Am currently using a generic DVD player.  They have served me very well. Was as good  as  branded (Pioneer/Sony) players with no region restrictions.  Am thinking that although they are functionally OK are they providing the best quality picture?

What branded DVD player should I consider to provide excellent quality viewing?  and  is there a player (modestly priced) that will play not only DVD but also BD?

This is my first post in this section for a few years and am pleased to meet you all...again.

Thanx for reading.

Welcome back, bosing!

Generics are OK for small TVs, but the inferior picture quality will be apparent on larger TVs.  Get a Pioneer 420, cheap lang naman, less than P5K these days.  http://www.pioneer.ph/productList/default.asp?CatalogId=11&Page=1

For BD playback, the situation today is similar to the DVD & VCD compatibility issue of the past.  If you had a VCD player, it will play VCDs but not DVDs; if you had a DVD player, it will play both DVDs and VCDs.  

To play both BDs and DVDs, you need a BD player.  All BD players are backward-compatible with DVDs.  

Popular BD players are Panasonic, Sony PS3 and Oppo.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 at 05:19 PM by barrister »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 06:30 PM »
Welcome back, bosing!

Generics are OK for small TVs, but the inferior picture quality will be apparent on larger TVs.  Get a Pioneer 420, cheap lang naman, less than P5K these days.  http://www.pioneer.ph/productList/default.asp?CatalogId=11&Page=1

For BD playback, the situation today is similar to the DVD & VCD compatibility issue of the past.  If you had a VCD player, it will play VCDs but not DVDs; if you had a DVD player, it will play both DVDs and VCDs.  

To play both BDs and DVDs, you need a BD player.  All BD players are backward-compatible with DVDs.  

Popular BD players are Panasonic, Sony PS3 and Oppo.

Yup we have a PS3 downstairs and that has provided great entertainment including BD and an occasional high quality DVD.  For my Bedroom am thinking now BD player not PS3 as I am no gamer.  Discounting the PS3 I presume Panny,  Sony and Pioneer are front runners?

What is the cost of a good "middle of the road" BD player and what specific model would you recommend?
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 at 06:39 PM by dannielsimone »
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM »
For my Bedroom am thinking now BD player not PS3 as I am no gamer.  Discounting the PS3 I presume Panny,  Sony and Pioneer are front runners?

What is the cost of a good "middle of the road" BD player and what specific model would you recommend?

They say the PS3 is good, but I don't like it.  I'm not a gamer, it's noisy, it runs hot, no front LED display, no disc tray, you can't put other components on its curved top, etc.

I avoid Sony products, but I hear the Sony BD standalones are also good.  

Don't get a Pio, they make terrible BD players.  They're slow, and tech is not up-to-date.  I hear the Pio BD players are the product of a Pioneer-Sharp joint venture, and that the internals are Sharp components.

(Pio SD-DVD players are still good, but rumor has it that the current Pio 2009 DVD players will be the last Pio-made ones; the next models will be Pio-badged units with Sharp internals.)

I have a Panny BD60, and it's good.  Got it for P15K last February.  I recommend the new Panny, the BD85.  I don't know how much it sells, but it can't be much more than 15K.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/blu-ray-players/panasonic-dmp-bd85-674973/review

Great picture, but doesn't load as fast as the other new players.

=================================

And, if you're researching BD players, you have to go to this board:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/board,90.0.html

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM by barrister »

Offline dannielsimone

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm NOT new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM »

They say the PS3 is good, but I don't like it.  I'm not a gamer, it's noisy, it runs hot, no front LED display, no disc tray, you can't put other components on its curved top, etc.

I avoid Sony products, but I hear the Sony BD standalones are also good.  

Don't get a Pio, they make terrible BD players.  They're slow, and tech is not up-to-date.  I hear the Pio BD players are the product of a Pioneer-Sharp joint venture, and that the internals are Sharp components.

(Pio SD-DVD players are still good, but rumor has it that the current Pio 2009 DVD players will be the last Pio-made ones; the next models will be Pio-badged units with Sharp internals.)

I have a Panny BD60, and it's good.  Got it for P15K last February.  I recommend the new Panny, the BD85.  I don't know how much it sells, but it can't be much more than 15K.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/blu-ray-players/panasonic-dmp-bd85-674973/review

Great picture, but doesn't load as fast as the other new players.

=================================

And, if you're researching BD players, you have to go to this board:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/board,90.0.html

Thanks Barrister.  Will be doing a lot of research.
Onkyo 707
Wharefdale Diamond 9.6
Center 9 CM
Diamond 9.1
Mirage Omni s10