Author Topic: 1080p vs 1080i 32" LCD TV viewed 5 ft away, is PQ difference substantial?  (Read 4549 times)

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Mga Sirs,

Just wondering if PQ would be substanstial when watching 1080i and 1080p movies from a NMT?

Thanks in advance!

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
IMHO at 32" it's hardly noticeable.

Ganyan bedroom setup ko

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mga Sirs,

Just wondering if PQ would be substanstial when watching 1080i and 1080p movies from a NMT?

Thanks in advance!

sir romy,

sa 32 incher na tv hindi masyado halata ang difference not unless kung sobrang lapit ng mata mo sa screen mga few inches away lang pero di naman kayo manonood ng ganun kalapit di ba? sa 50" and up mo lang mano-notice ang pagkakaiba on regular viewing :)

BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
at the 32 inch size, wont be a problem.
>42 inch go 1080p
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline bibilitv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Ano ibig sabihin ng i sa p?

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
i means interlaced
p means progressive

Imagine how the TV draws an frame;

It starts from the TOP left of your screen to the BOTTOM right.

An interlaced screen would draw it in this order;

1,3,5,7,9... until 1079 then 2,4,6,8,... 1080.

A progressive screen would draw it 1,2,3,4,5... 1080 (sunod sunod).

In the days of SD, it would matter but with high refresh rates now sa HD screens an interlaced screen isn't as bad. The larger the screen mas buking and diff ng 1080i vs 1080p. On a 32" it's hard to notice talaga.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
i means interlaced
p means progressive

In the days of SD, it would matter but with high refresh rates now sa HD screens an interlaced screen isn't as bad. The larger the screen mas buking and diff ng 1080i vs 1080p. On a 32" it's hard to notice talaga.

Nice explanation bro ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
If you mean HDTV quality 1080i vs BD quality 1080p, meron difference kahit 32V.  It's not due to the resolution but mainly on the quality of the source itself.

Example, compare mo yung 1080i na Gladiator vs the newly remastered Gladiator at 1080p, ang layo ng imaqe quality.  Isa pa yung bagong remastered na Se7en, grabe layo ng 1080p sa 1080i (HDTV).

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2010 at 07:46 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
If you mean HDTV quality 1080i vs BD quality 1080p, meron difference kahit 32V.  It's not due to the resolution but mainly on the quality of the source itself.

Example, compare mo yung 1080i na Gladiator vs the newly remastered Gladiator at 1080p, ang layo ng imaqe quality.  Isa pa yung bagong remastered na Se7en, grabe layo ng 1080p sa 1080i (HDTV).
does this reply factor in the 5ft viewing distance?
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
does this reply factor in the 5ft viewing distance?

You mean at close range only?  Probably does to a certain distance (Im normally around 1-2 meters away from a 32V, which covers the 5 ft condition, as I cannot possibly watch farther than that).

Im referring to the difference between a 1080i HDTV and 1080p BD Rip.  I could think of other examples: Armageddon, Saving Private Ryan in HDTV 1080i.   Even the 81GB 1080i HDTV version of LOTR extended version is clearly inferior in terms of image quality compared to the recently released LOTR theatrical version in BD.

Lalong obvious kapag TV series - maski at 720p.  Heroes, Fringe - all those popular BD rips just look better than their original broadcast quality even for 32V LCDs.  Kitang kita ang jagged edges and especially dullness of color kapag galing sa TV compared to the BD rip.

And there's another factor.  Knowing what to look for.  Once you are aware it could be jaggedy here and there, lossy and blocky on the monotonous areas, it's just easy to discern some differences even at good distance.  "Substantial" differences or not - totally subjective of course.  There's a relative na pinakitaan ko ng jaggedy "PANASONIC IDEAS FOR LIFE" sa SM appliance center on a 720p monitor, and since then, he sees it all the time whenever he goes to the TV section - but he's OK with that once he's ready to buy a new TV.

I was intrigued at how the first poster stated his question.   Actually, nalaliman ako sa tanong. Comparing the same source as viewed on a 720p vs 1080p monitor is one possibility.  Comparing 1080i, 720p, 1080p, BD vs HDTV, sources on the same monitor is another.   Ano nga ba ang meaning ng tanong ng thread starter?  Hehehe

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:

Sir,

Say, Samsung LA32C480H1 (Series 4 1366x768) vs  LA32C530FIR (Sereis 5 1920x1080)

Keeping all things the equal, except the TV, if I watch remastered Gladiator 1080p 5 ft away from the TV, will PQ difference very noticeable?

Thanks in advance Sir.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2010 at 12:20 PM by romymartinez »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Say, Samsung LA32C480H1 (Series 4 1366x768) vs  LA32C530FIR (Sereis 5 1920x1080)
Keeping all things the equal, except the TV, if I wath remastered Gladiator 1080p 5 ft away from the TV, will PQ difference very noticeably?

1.  Would you be able to put the Series 4 and 5 side-by-side to know for sure?  

2.  The difference between a 720p and 1080p panel is not only the resolution of the panel. You have to consider the technology(s) employed on the panel itself, and equally important would be the video engine. Why would any maker put their cutting edge video know-how on a 720p panel in the first place?    Of course overvalueing a 720p model is just as easy as undervalueing a 1080p grade one, especially in the 32V market.

3.  My problem with makers like Samsung for instance is that they discriminate between their models in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 fashion.  The gradation is too narrow compared to other makers who would only offer Low, Mid, High.

4.  The image size of a 720p file as projected at actual size on a 50V full HD monitor is just about the same as that of a 32V monitor.   That implies that a full HD 50V is about as dense as a 720p 32V in terms of pixels per viewable area.  Do note that the minimum recommended distance for a 50V is 1.9 meters.    Your reference 5ft (1.5m) viewing distance is certainly shorter.  Most would be dizzy to watch on a 50V that close because of the size, but in terms of resolution, it actually remains good/high - which means 32V 720p should be good too.   Based on that observation, I would say there is not much visible resolution difference betweeen a 1080p and 720p panel at 32V.  However, again, it's not all about resolution.  Good image means having excellent colors and rich contrast, minimal motion blurring, minimal reflection, uniform blacks/whites, wide angle of view, smoothness of lines and curves, among others.  If the Series 4 Samsung is equal to the Series 5 in all these aspects, then it's a great buy.  If it's even better than the Series 5, then the Series 5 is a rip-off.   If the Series 5 is better, then you'd have to weigh the cost performance.

5.  BTW, I find the texts and letter too small if I use a 1920x1080p 32V for regular computing.  I usually set a full HD 32V to 1365 x768.   Eye problem. hehehe.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2010 at 03:15 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline romymartinez

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Thanks sa input Sir, very informative.  ;D  ;D

Offline bibilitv

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
i means interlaced
p means progressive

Sir meron pa ba example na mas layman's? Hindi ko pa rin magets

Offline DaMobsta

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
^

In layman's terms, yung 1080i ay medyo disorganized ang pag process ng images. Pwede nating sabihin na bumubuo siya ng puzzle (yung pieces ay puro horizontal strips) nang mabilis. Kaya may blur daw siya.

Whereas pag 1080p naman, yung pag process ng image ay parang pag baba lang ng isang pirasong papel - bale sa isang sweep lang ay naka output agad nang maayos yung image.

Correct me if I'm wrong po. :)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Sir meron pa ba example na mas layman's? Hindi ko pa rin magets

An interlaced image is composed of 2 sets of horizontal scan lines: a field of even lines and a field of odd lines.  When the 2 fields are quickly shown one after the other, you get the illusion of a complete picture.

A progressive image is a full picture per field.

The usual problem with interlaced video is "shimmering" (or "interline twitter"):

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM by barrister »

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Clap! Clap! Clap!

Best explanation ever :)

However, the phenomenon is more noticeable using SD TVs. Using a HD TV, it has features inside to minimize the artifacts and shimmering.

That's why you still have to audition it yourself. It's not a big stretch to bring a NMT nowadays sa showroom to test your own content before you fork over the credit card. If you can't notice it sa LCD you plan to purchase, then it's all good.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM by scifi-fan »

Offline babed95

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
eto na siguro ang da best na explanation di mo na kailangan basahin pa tignan mo na lng hahahaha! nice work sir!