Author Topic: Need inputs on 2ch cd/amp to use with Monitor Audio S2  (Read 2624 times)

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
Need inputs on 2ch cd/amp to use with Monitor Audio S2
« on: Sep 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am currently shopping for a good cd/amp combo to partner with my spare MA S2.

I've already heard several cd/amp combo but never with the intended speakers. I listen to jazz but lets say my musical taste varies from rock to jazz.

So far, I'm considering these options:

1. CA 640 a/c v2 - has good reviews and got a reasonable offer from one of the stores here in RP.

2. NAD 545BEE and NAD C326BEE - I heard them sing but not that impressed. Has good reviews but also has reliability issues reported on the net.

3. Marantz cd6003/pm6003-  very good reviews but haven't had the chance to audition them. It is also more expensive than the CA 640 which I almost bought. Based on what I have read, it can play ipod natively without the need for a dock.

My budget can only go as far the marantz combo, but a bit hesitant to splurge as this will delay my svs purchase a couple of months more ;D

TIA. :-)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Need inputs on 2ch cd/amp to use with Monitor Audio S2
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2010 at 07:37 AM »
If I may say so (since you're looking for a CD player for your spare MA), you should look for a Sony PS1 - same as the other thread. You can look for it in Raon or if you happen to live near Valenzuela there is a surplus store very near Puregold Valenzuela (just beside it). There are a lot of Japan Sony PS-1 model SCPH-1001 (at least last year).

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 12:35 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am currently shopping for a good cd/amp combo to partner with my spare MA S2.

I've already heard several cd/amp combo but never with the intended speakers. I listen to jazz but lets say my musical taste varies from rock to jazz.
You've got excellent options sir. You can't really go wrong with any of those pairings.  :)

I suggest you bring your speakers with you, so that you can hear them with the amp and cdp that you're buying. Many shops welcome this arrangement, though very few customers actually take advantage of it.

Offline turismo1997

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 07:43 AM »
@rascal101 - I do have an old ps1 bought around nov. 1996. However, the cd lens assy was already replaced. Not sure if that affects it from being an audiophile grade cd player.

@stagea - Have you ever tried using a 640a/c to play music files from ipods/hard disk/network media? If yes, what is your impression? I was able to hear a hd with flac files hooked to a NAD amp at sight and sounds.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM by turismo1997 »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 08:14 AM »
@rascal101 - I do have an old ps1 both around nov. 1996. However, the cd lens assy was already replaced. Not sure if that affects it from being an audiophile grade cd player.

@stagea - Have you ever tried using a 640a/c to play music files from ipods/hard disk/network media? If yes, what is your impression? I was able to hear a hd with flac files hooked to a NAD amp at sight and sounds.

No Sir, it does not affect it being audiophile grade. If it is the SCPH-1001 model then very good.

I suggested this because it is one of the most analog sounding CDP I have heard. It is even better than stock Sony CDP-701ES, Burr Brown PCM53 based CDPs and Philips TDA1541 or TDA1543 based CDPs - my personal opinion.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010 at 08:16 AM by rascal101 »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 09:07 AM »
I think it's not bad to invest in vintage stuff so you can compare technologies of yesterday and now for your secondary system.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2010 at 11:53 AM »
I had a couple of 640As hooked up to a 640C before. I never thought about using the 640A to play lossy media, however. The 640C/640A combo is superb with CDs, however (at this price point). I personally prefer the similarly-priced 550C/550A combo over the 640 pair, because of improved dynamics in the newer series (together with a slightly fuller and sweeter midrange). The 640C is ever-so-slightly more revealing than the 550C, however (separation and resolution of the 640C is at par with the 650C).

You may want to opt for the DacMagic route (instead of a dedicated CD player), if you intend to use a networked player.

The Marantz CD6003/PM6003 is also a great choice for your needs, as it allows you to hookup your USB drive (or an iPod) for the direct playback of lossy audio formats.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2010 at 05:17 AM »
Had you been using brighter-sounding speakers, I would've added the Arcam solo to the list. It's now at the same price point, thanks to a 50% discount.

Offline turismo1997

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2010 at 06:26 AM »

@stagea, is this the same class as CA sonata?

Had you been using brighter-sounding speakers, I would've added the Arcam solo to the list. It's now at the same price point, thanks to a 50% discount.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2010 at 11:22 AM »
@stagea, is this the same class as CA sonata?

Not really. The Arcam brand is positioned higher than Cambridge, NAD or Marantz in general, of course that's also dependent on the model (i.e. a high end Marantz/NAD/CA would be dearer than a midlevel Arcam, etc.). The Arcam's refined sound reflects this pedigree.

The Arcam Solo used to sell for 100k, and now they're selling it for 50k. It's an all-in-one product with a Clock, a Tuner, a CD player, a bass management tool and an Amplifier (together with additional inputs).

AVDI has it on display (hooked-up to small Arcam bookshelves), in case it's still there.

Offline turismo1997

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2010 at 11:42 PM »

Ok. I'll try to find out also. However, I'm also hesistant to use it as a dedicated cd players as I'm also preserving my old PS1. I'm also a collector of retro console and games. ;D

I think it's not bad to invest in vintage stuff so you can compare technologies of yesterday and now for your secondary system.

Offline turismo1997

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2010 at 03:03 PM »
Update:

Went for a marantz cd6003/pm6003 combo... Haven't had the time to set it up.. Tnx for all the inputs.

@rascal101, I will try one of these days to compare my ps1 with cd6003.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2010 at 02:55 AM »
Update:

Went for a marantz cd6003/pm6003 combo... Haven't had the time to set it up.. Tnx for all the inputs.

Congratulations sir. Excellent gear. :)

Offline blue_123

• Collector
  • smell the flowers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2010 at 05:35 AM »
Update:

@rascal101, I will try one of these days to compare my ps1 with cd6003.

Heard this combo at the audio show last year partnered with polk audio speakers great choice! congratulations.