Author Topic: Re: ZigmaHornet Speaker Cabinet  (Read 37310 times)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: ZigmaHornet Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #30 on: Sep 26, 2010 at 02:01 PM »
@kemozavi - i think your short list of drivers will work too pero mabibitin ka sa bass. You will need a sub for the low freqs or lengthen the horn/pipe. I did a pair with a 9ft pipe with good results. Post ko rin ito once done. Parang parts express ang souce mo sa mga drivers. If I may suggest, try checking out the pioneer 4" fullrange. If memory serves me right, 70hz ang fs niya. S15-20 lang yata isa.

Anyway, just finished the horn tweeters that will be mated to the Sony drivers in a horizontal Zigmahorn. Since the Magnavox horns are 16 ohms and very efficient,I added a -6db L-pad and a 0.47uf Sprague oil cap for a cutoff of around 16khz.

Magnavox horn tweeters in custom made mount. I placed wood on the lip of the horn to dampen it and minimize ringing. Medyo may harshness ang highs without it.

The rear cover of the horns are actually the cap or cover of a canned spray paint which I cut to 3/4" thick. The original rear cover of the horn tweeters are made of styro. Kinain pa ng ipis kaya pangit na tignan. Now they look neat.

Side view.

These horns will be placed on top of the horizontal Zigmahorn. I'm just waiting for the polyurethane varnish  to dry up on the walnut veneers. I'll post the finished product tomorrow.

kaya pala tahimik, busy sa mga projects si sir trod93. ayos!

yung personal project mo naman atupagin!

"to-die-for" na daw setup nung kapitbahay ko, tinono nila ninong ;D

Offline Cjtjader

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Lux Lucis Volo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #31 on: Sep 27, 2010 at 06:36 AM »
@kemozavi - i think your short list of drivers will work too pero mabibitin ka sa bass. You will need a sub for the low freqs or lengthen the horn/pipe. I did a pair with a 9ft pipe with good results. Post ko rin ito once done. Parang parts express ang souce mo sa mga drivers. If I may suggest, try checking out the pioneer 4" fullrange. If memory serves me right, 70hz ang fs niya. S15-20 lang yata isa.

Anyway, just finished the horn tweeters that will be mated to the Sony drivers in a horizontal Zigmahorn. Since the Magnavox horns are 16 ohms and very efficient,I added a -6db L-pad and a 0.47uf Sprague oil cap for a cutoff of around 16khz.

Magnavox horn tweeters in custom made mount. I placed wood on the lip of the horn to dampen it and minimize ringing. Medyo may harshness ang highs without it.

The rear cover of the horns are actually the cap or cover of a canned spray paint which I cut to 3/4" thick. The original rear cover of the horn tweeters are made of styro. Kinain pa ng ipis kaya pangit na tignan. Now they look neat.

Side view.

These horns will be placed on top of the horizontal Zigmahorn. I'm just waiting for the polyurethane varnish  to dry up on the walnut veneers. I'll post the finished product tomorrow.

NEAT!!!   Congrats, Sir Tony!  8) 8) 8) 8)
Perspicuus ~ Quietus ~ Consilium ~ Patefacio

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #32 on: Sep 27, 2010 at 07:27 AM »
Galing lang ako kina Tony a while ago. You have to see the finish in person to fully appreciate. It really blended well with the zigma.

Offline Cjtjader

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Lux Lucis Volo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 256
« Reply #33 on: Sep 27, 2010 at 09:34 AM »
Galing lang ako kina Tony a while ago. You have to see the finish in person to fully appreciate. It really blended well with the zigma.

Nkakatakot makita yun sa personal,baka makulam ko sarili ko!! :D :D :D
Perspicuus ~ Quietus ~ Consilium ~ Patefacio

Offline trod93

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: Sep 29, 2010 at 03:14 PM »
The owner got the modified zigma yesterday. If you could see his face once he saw it. Anyway, he said he will post his impressions very soon.

Here's the new Zigmahorn Horizon (horizontal kasi placment, hehe).

The former zigma was wrapped in vinyl laminate only. Now in real walnut veneer.

In the owner's lair driven by a Cayin EL34 pp tube amp. Very nice combo.

The 3rd variant of the Zigmahorn with a 9ft, 3-fold pipe, tested and ready for finishing.

Since maganda resulta ng tweeter,I will put a Neo 6 planar ribbon tweeter on the orig Zigmahornet floorstander. I still have a pair of Sony drivers, so, isang design pa uli. 

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 29, 2010 at 03:24 PM »
The owner got the modified zigma yesterday. If you could see his face once he saw it. Anyway, he said he will post his impressions very soon.

Here's the new Zigmahorn Horizon (horizontal kasi placment, hehe).

The former zigma was wrapped in vinyl laminate only. Now in real walnut veneer.

In the owner's lair driven by a Cayin EL34 pp tube amp. Very nice combo.

The 3rd variant of the Zigmahorn with a 9ft, 3-fold pipe, tested and ready for finishing.

Since maganda resulta ng tweeter,I will put a Neo 6 planar ribbon tweeter on the orig Zigmahornet floorstander. I still have a pair of Sony drivers, so, isang design pa uli. 

congrats to the new owner, enjoy!
as usual ang galeng-galeng ni Ka Trod93! cheers!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 07:37 AM »
Galing galing Sir trod93. Congrats!!

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 09:04 AM »
Thanks ctjader, ojofool and romymartinez.

The Zigmahorn design is very easy to make and versatile. You can experiment with different pipe lengths and come up with the same, or, even, better results depending on your goal, as long as you maintain the internal dimensions of the pipe.

In looking for the right driver, try something that has very good excursion (xmax) to attain better bass. The basic principle of producing very good bass is for a driver to move a lot of air. I used a Fostex FE-108 sigma and bitin sa bass. You will need a sub for this driver. I've experimented on different designs na, ie, Nagaoka double-horn, voigt pipe, and I always get the same result.-poor bass.

@kemozavi- the best driver among the 3 is the Hivi B3n coz its fs is 77hz and xmax is 3mm. But, it doesn't mean it will yield very good bass, just better than the other 2 drivers.

As for the use of plywood, 1/2" marine plywood is still the best. Manipis tumunog ang 3/4". This has something to do with the resonance inside the chamber. I used 3/4" ply on my 3rd variant but only on the external cabinet para lumapad lang ang width. The internal chamber is still 1/2" ply and a longer pipe (9ft.) to compensate for the tightness of the low freqs. Among the 3 variants, IMO, this has the best all-around presentation.

Hope to see your Zigmahorns very soon.

Goodluck.

Tony

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 09:11 AM »
Thanks ctjader, ojofool and romymartinez.

The Zigmahorn design is very easy to make and versatile. You can experiment with different pipe lengths and come up with the same, or, even, better results depending on your goal, as long as you maintain the internal dimensions of the pipe.

In looking for the right driver, try something that has very good excursion (xmax) to attain better bass. The basic principle of producing very good bass is for a driver to move a lot of air. I used a Fostex FE-108 sigma and bitin sa bass. You will need a sub for this driver. I've experimented on different designs na, ie, Nagaoka double-horn, voigt pipe, and I always get the same result.-poor bass.

@kemozavi- the best driver among the 3 is the Hivi B3n coz its fs is 77hz and xmax is 3mm. But, it doesn't mean it will yield very good bass, just better than the other 2 drivers.

As for the use of plywood, 1/2" marine plywood is still the best. Manipis tumunog ang 3/4". This has something to do with the resonance inside the chamber. I used 3/4" ply on my 3rd variant but only on the external cabinet para lumapad lang ang width. The internal chamber is still 1/2" ply and a longer pipe (9ft.) to compensate for the tightness of the low freqs. Among the 3 variants, IMO, this has the best all-around presentation.

Hope to see your Zigmahorns very soon.

Goodluck.

Tony

sir trod93,

sakto ito sa mga t-amp owners!  ;D

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 30, 2010 at 04:06 PM »
Saktong sakto rene. Kaya nga nagka-interest ako sa Lepai ta-2020. Small footprint pareho, amp and speakers, minimalist ang dating. Ang wife ko ayaw ng audio sa sala kasi nakakasira daw sa design niya. Well, if you have speakers that can pass as decor and an amp no bigger than a pocketbook plus an ipod, voila. Baka makalusot kay misis. Hehe.

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 01, 2010 at 08:49 AM »
Saktong sakto rene. Kaya nga nagka-interest ako sa Lepai ta-2020. Small footprint pareho, amp and speakers, minimalist ang dating. Ang wife ko ayaw ng audio sa sala kasi nakakasira daw sa design niya. Well, if you have speakers that can pass as decor and an amp no bigger than a pocketbook plus an ipod, voila. Baka makalusot kay misis. Hehe.
I can relate with you bro.  That is why I chose Zigmahornet and will only use same amp of Bose companion 2 ( powered speaker kasi ito).  I will only tweak the amp for better sound reproduction.  The Zigmahornet will be posted maybe early October. :)
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 01, 2010 at 05:21 PM »
Sana the Bose will be a good match. Can't wait to listen to your zigmahorn. Gusto ko kasi marinig other drivers on this design. Sony and fostex pa lang nasubukan ko.

Go for it bro. Once makita ng iba yan, dadami na gagawa nyan. Baka soon magka-Zigmahornet club na tayo. Hehe. 

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #42 on: Oct 02, 2010 at 07:37 AM »
Sana the Bose will be a good match. Can't wait to listen to your zigmahorn. Gusto ko kasi marinig other drivers on this design. Sony and fostex pa lang nasubukan ko.

Go for it bro. Once makita ng iba yan, dadami na gagawa nyan. Baka soon magka-Zigmahornet club na tayo. Hehe. 

pansin ko yung sony driver na ginamit nyo ay similar or same sa ginamit ni Anthony sa 5 footer na nasa akin. mas mura ito kesa fostex but what about its performace/character sir?

what's so special about fostex nga pala? tnx  ;)

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 02, 2010 at 08:47 PM »

Pag okay experiment kita kits tayo sa bagong bahay ni Vhongbiker sa Paranaque.  At least itong Zigmahornet kasya sa loob ng kotse ko at magaan pa.  If it will not work, I will have to order AN Super 3 in Cast Frame from U.S.  Kaso, matatagalan pa yon dahil sa budget (magagalit si Kumander ;D).  Kaya sana mag match talga Bose Companion 2 driver para masaya na ako at may magamit sa living room na pwedeng galaw galawin ng malikot kong bunso (2 year old boy).  Kaya iyong set up ko AN at Sakura nasa kuwarto sa taas at bawal ang batang malikot >:(.

Until then bro. ;)
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #44 on: Oct 03, 2010 at 04:16 AM »
OT: hehehe ... type na type nga pala ng bunso mo iyung audio set-up mo ...

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 03, 2010 at 04:43 PM »
pansin ko yung sony driver na ginamit nyo ay similar or same sa ginamit ni Anthony sa 5 footer na nasa akin. mas mura ito kesa fostex but what about its performace/character sir?

what's so special about fostex nga pala? tnx  ;)

Actually, I don't know the parameters of the Sony driver. It has lush mids and what makes it ideal for this design is because of its excursion. Makikita mo talagang bumabayo. So, that takes care of the bass. Bitin ng konti sa highs unless you want a little laid back sound. A tweeter, tuned to the right cutoff, can give you that additional extension. According to Anthony, the Sony driver's top end is only 17khz.

I had 6 pairs of Sony drivers kaya napilitan ako gumawa ng modifications from the original design. Maduduling ka na kapag parepareho na lang nakikita mo, hehe. I'm now down to 2 pairs. 1 pair left for another experiment. Plano kong gamitin as mids in a 3-way design. Woofers na lang kulang ko.

With regards to Fostex naman, I would stick to its 6-8" drivers. I have a pair of FE-108 sigmas (4") at nahilo na ako kakagawa ng baffles. Can't find the right one until now. Maganda mids and top end, though, it needs a little more damping, medyo bright kasi. Need a sub for this driver. My post sa "pampagana sa mga diyers" was an FE-206e, an 8 incher. I had very good results with the blh.

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 08, 2010 at 03:14 PM »
Hopefully I can test tomorrow night the zigmahorny. ;D  If successful, you tube video will follow on weekdays. :)

Offline trod93

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 08, 2010 at 04:12 PM »
Ayos! Looking forward to seeing your work.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 09, 2010 at 09:13 AM »
Bro, pasyal ako diyan next week.

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 12, 2010 at 10:50 PM »
Zigmahornet 1st Testing on You Tube video:

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SznCh17tBrU

Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_p-tL8LHo

The Bose Companion 2 amp with I.C TDA 7377 (use for car amp) was modified using rascal 101 circuit for better stereo imaging and details.

The sound quality is better on actual listening than what you see and heard (via quality headphone or computer speakers) on You Tube.

Thanks Mel for the ideas.  Your creativity on the circuit you made will make all Filipinos proud.  I am looking forward for your success someday.  Para kang si Mang Rod.....isip ng isip para maka buo ng magandang tunog.  Bihira ang mga taong katulad niyo.  Simple circuit and design but big improvement on sound quality.  Abnormal talaga kayo nila Mang Rod.  You and Mang Rod's principles on audio are so radical.  Principles that cannot be seen on books but only acquired by continuous experiment.

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010 at 11:51 PM by monreq »

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 03:02 AM »
You're welcome Bro. You know it is when people believe in other people that an idea moves forward. Sana hindi ka magsasawa sa pakikinig sa mga iba't ibang ideya sa akin at mga kapwa natin :)

Thank you for letting me hear the Zigmahornet speakers and that delicious lunch  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2010 at 03:33 AM by rascal101 »

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #51 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM »
@monreq:

muntik ko ng di makita ang driver  :) ayos na pala! congrats!

pero mas napansin ko ang pinto nyo  ;)

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #52 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 01:49 PM »
nice videos monreq. galing ng karpintero niyo, saludo ako. ganda niyan kung glossy (piano) white ang kulay.

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 03:16 PM »

how much was the landed cost sir for the cabinet, parts and labor? and is it through sir trod93?

@monreq:

muntik ko ng di makita ang driver  :) ayos na pala! congrats!

pero mas napansin ko ang pinto nyo  ;)

noticed this too last night... mukhang madami nag-kakainteres sa speaker mo sir, kuntodo proteksyon eh.  :)
Know Thyself!

Offline ogiwankenobi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi!!! 'Am new here!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 03:45 PM »
noticed this too last night... mukhang madami nag-kakainteres sa speaker mo sir, kuntodo proteksyon eh.  :)

Rule of thirds yan sa photography.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2010 at 03:56 PM by ogiwankenobi »
"If you do what most people do, you'll get what most people get."

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 03:59 PM »
Rule of thirds yan sa photography.

i was referring to the locks sir...  :)
Know Thyself!

Offline louie1

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #56 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 04:08 PM »
mga idol, an po kaya makakabili locally ng TB sprakers (locally) for zigmahornets???

Offline BigBert-2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM »
mga idol, an po kaya makakabili locally ng TB sprakers (locally) for zigmahornets???

Sa kinetic sa may Robinson Pioneer ,may nakita akong 4" na Tangband driver. Call ka muna para sigurado Tel. no. 710-34-32 

;)

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 11:02 PM »
nice videos monreq. galing ng karpintero niyo, saludo ako. ganda niyan kung glossy (piano) white ang kulay.

Binarat ko nga eh. Anyway, experimental pa naman ito. Saka na pagandahin ng husto. Ako na lang titira ng finishing para makatipid. Simple lang gagawin ko.  Thanks for your comments guys. :)

Offline monreq

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM »
how much was the landed cost sir for the cabinet, parts and labor? and is it through sir trod93?

noticed this too last night... mukhang madami nag-kakainteres sa speaker mo sir, kuntodo proteksyon eh.  :)
Labor and materials P1,600 lang.  Taga rito lang sa Bahayang Pag Asa, Molino, Cavite iyong carpenter.  Hobby business niya lang.   :)