Author Topic: Polk Audio LSI Series  (Read 57772 times)

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Polk Audio LSI Series
« Reply #150 on: Nov 01, 2011 at 11:29 AM »
Dec 3 or 4 na lang Bro.  Have an event on the last weekend of November.
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline defcon3

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #151 on: Nov 02, 2011 at 01:16 AM »
Konti na lang na ipon bro, my brother can get one for $500. ;D

whooaaa!!!good price yan sir.... ;)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #152 on: Nov 02, 2011 at 09:49 AM »
Konti na lang na ipon bro, my brother can get one for $500. ;D

Wow. Asan na si brother?  ;D

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Nov 02, 2011 at 10:55 PM »
Would adding a sub to an audio only setup, with LSi9 fronts, be a good idea?  What sub would best compliment a LSi9-based audio-only setup?
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline mikeer2002ph

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Nov 02, 2011 at 11:06 PM »
Would adding a sub to an audio only setup, with LSi9 fronts, be a good idea?  What sub would best compliment a LSi9-based audio-only setup?

I use mine with a Klipsch RW10, analog inputs from the HK3470 sub out, crossover at 50Hz when I was in pasay.

I tried the same configuration recently here in batangas, but had to lower the crossover to 40Hz since 50Hhz is boomy already.

usually turned on for R&B / Dance / House music or during get-togethers/parties, turned off for other genres and for critical listening at night.
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #155 on: Nov 02, 2011 at 11:19 PM »
whooaaa!!!good price yan sir.... ;)

Returned or refurb units bro kaya mura. Polk Audio ebay store sya kumuha ng unit.  ;D

Wow. Asan na si brother?  ;D

Nasa Mother Ignacia st. pa bro hindi pa makalabas. ;D ;D

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Nov 02, 2011 at 11:42 PM »
Returned or refurb units bro kaya mura. Polk Audio ebay store sya kumuha ng unit.  ;D

Nasa Mother Ignacia st. pa bro hindi pa makalabas. ;D ;D

congrats na din sir in advance...even refurb yan, nasa working condition pa din. ;)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #157 on: Nov 03, 2011 at 04:32 PM »

The LSi9 plays quite low for bookshelves, but if you want to extend your system's reach to the limits of audibility, then adding a sub would help. Aside from looking for a sub that plays clean and low, you'd want a unit that allows you to cross low (extra controls like a phase control knob and/or a parametric notch filter can also help).

The DSW MicroPRO series would likely be a great match for your system, if it falls within your target budget.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Nov 03, 2011 at 11:02 PM »
Please note that the Polk Audio LSi range is no longer available. Watch out for its replacement, the Polk Audio LSiM series. You can audition these speakers at the Dusit hotel on November 19 & 20.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #159 on: Nov 04, 2011 at 10:58 PM »
Please note that the Polk Audio LSi range is no longer available. Watch out for its replacement, the Polk Audio LSiM series. You can audition these speakers at the Dusit hotel on November 19 & 20.

Great!!! This will be something to look forward to...

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Nov 05, 2011 at 02:45 AM »

this is one rare opportunity....to meet the LSim...i hoped that it can be extended until december 2nd wk... :)

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Nov 05, 2011 at 07:18 AM »
The LSi9 plays quite low for bookshelves, but if you want to extend your system's reach to the limits of audibility, then adding a sub would help. Aside from looking for a sub that plays clean and low, you'd want a unit that allows you to cross low (extra controls like a phase control knob and/or a parametric notch filter can also help).

The DSW MicroPRO series would likely be a great match for your system, if it falls within your target budget.

We have a DSW 660 hooked up to our HT.  I plan to share some sources between the HT and audio-only systems, can the sub also be shared?  Is this a good idea to begin with?  I imagine the settings would have to be different for each.

@Sanjay
I make it a point not to "expose" myself to things I can't afford :).  But maybe you can tempt me with a raffle ;), or significant discounts  ;D.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #162 on: Nov 05, 2011 at 11:16 AM »
We have a DSW 660 hooked up to our HT.  I plan to share some sources between the HT and audio-only systems, can the sub also be shared?  Is this a good idea to begin with?  I imagine the settings would have to be different for each.

@Sanjay
I make it a point not to "expose" myself to things I can't afford :).  But maybe you can tempt me with a raffle ;), or significant discounts  ;D.

Sources can be shared. And yes, definitely the sub and the speakers can be shared. Actually, ganito ang current system ko.  ;) though sa sub lang ako nag-share. no more selectors and toggle switches. I ask king markcrenz to customize an automatic rca switcher with HT as default source for me. So whever i turn om my stereo, the switcher will automatically choose the stereo as a source for the sub.  ;)

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Nov 10, 2011 at 09:15 PM »
Thanks bro.  I'll keep that in mind.  For now though, I'll probably keep the audio-only setup at the office as I'm finding soft chamber music makes me more productive, and smooths out the unavoidable "bumps".

One thing I've noticed is that the LSi9, although it does not reach as deep as the RTi9 (which is quite capable of shaking our windows), seems to have what I'd describe as a very tight bass voice.  Which for my tastes, is clearly superior to the RTi A3, but not counting the nearly 300% premium.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Nov 10, 2011 at 10:51 PM »
The problem with sharing a sub is that you would be compromising its placement to ensure that it works well with both systems. Swerte mo na lang if one location and setting sounds great for both. :)

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Nov 10, 2011 at 11:17 PM »
Swerte ni Master Nelson! ;)

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Nov 10, 2011 at 11:23 PM »
Learned something again :).  

Unfortunately, our space does not provide a lot of options for placing the sub.  It looks like my best option, when I do bring the audio-only system home, is to use it for content that is not too bass demanding, which actually suites me just fine.

Do you have frequency response curves for the LSi9?  Where do you get those anyway?
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 01:06 AM »
Swerte ni Master Nelson! ;)

Yep. Things get much easier if you can afford to cross that low (and he has a dedicated crossover for the audio system). :)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011 at 01:08 AM by Stagea »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 01:45 AM »
Another thing is that the LPF setting that you set in the sub will affect both your movie and music systems. Setting it to 40Hz for example may work with your music system, but will wipe out a lot of the higher impact LFE information. A dedicated crossover can fix this problem, however (or switching settings everytime you alternate between your systems).

Learned something again :).  

Unfortunately, our space does not provide a lot of options for placing the sub.  It looks like my best option, when I do bring the audio-only system home, is to use it for content that is not too bass demanding, which actually suites me just fine.

Do you have frequency response curves for the LSi9?  Where do you get those anyway?

Averaged response throughout +/- 15 deg horizontal and vertical range:

It's fairly even throughout a +/- 30 degree horizontal listening window and a +/- 15 degree vertical window, with just a mild ripple in the midband that's probably due to a mild cabinet resonance. The same thing happens in the LSi7, but at a lower frequency because the LSi7 has a single bigger cabinet, as compared to the LSi9 that is split up to two chambers inside. This imbues the LSi7 with a darker flavor in the midband, while the LSi9 is closer to neutral. Both units measure very well, for the most part.

A crossover setting of about 60Hz would probably do well in a large and open room. In a smaller area, you may want to use a lower cross point to minimize boominess.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011 at 01:54 AM by Stagea »

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 05:21 AM »
Thanks bro. To what do the 3 plots in the SPL graph?  One is magnitude, another is phase, what quantity is the third?
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 08:08 AM »
Thanks bro. To what do the 3 plots in the SPL graph?  One is magnitude, another is phase, what quantity is the third?

Don't be confused by the scale. All three lines are magnitude plots against frequency.

Red = 15 deg from axis towards the listening position
Violet = 0 deg / On-Axis
Blue = 15 deg from axis away from the listening position
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2011 at 03:27 AM by Stagea »

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM »
Got it!  The phase angle scale threw me off there.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM »
Check out the new Polk Audio Polk Audio LSiM703 at the Dusit hi fi show.

The New Bookshelf for Serious Listening
With the performance of the groundbreaking LSiM Series in a smaller, more flexible bookshelf-speaker format, the LSiM703 gives you the best of all worlds.

Dynamic Sonic Engine (Driver and Tweeter)
The heart of the new LSiM Series is this incredible enclosure-within-the-enclosure, the Dynamic Sonic Engine, that houses the mid-range driver and the Ring Radiator Tweeter. Molded in one rigid piece, the DSE enclosure tapers to a "turbine" that reduces back-wave reflections. The DSE combines its two speakers in an aligned, optimized array for wide, uniform dispersion in the critical 200Hz-2kHz midrange, improving transient response; the combination delivers exact timbre-matching, improved high-frequency dispersion and greater horizontal off-axis response
Enhanced Ring Radiator Tweeter
This tweeter was a vital element in the success of the original LSi Series. Yet, that wasn't good enough for the engineers designing the new LSiM Series. They've made some nuanced improvements in the design of this tweeter. First, they reshaped the tweeter's bullet-shaped phase plug, allowing it to move farther out of the baffle, improving dispersion and eliminating horn-loading. Next, they opened up the tweeter's face-plate, then redesigned the tweeter's diaphragm roll to make it more efficient and improve dispersion even more. Finally, they gave their new Ring Radiator Tweeter its own tuned enclosure in the exclusive Dynamic Sonic Engine. This new Ring Radiator boasts higher power handling, extended dynamic range, improved dispersion and extended top-end response.
Super Cell Aerated Polypropylene Cone Material
If the perfect cone material is lightweight (for faster, more efficient action) and stiff (for less distortion-causing flex), with enough internal damping to suppress and offset any limitations of its lightweight stiffness, then the Super Cell APP Cone Material is about as perfect as cone material gets. Aerated Polypropylene (APP) is a mineral-filled polypropylene material that's been "puffed up" with injected air to form a honey-comb structure. Our original APP cone approaches the ideal balance of lightweight stiffness with high damping, along with good resistance to moisture, UV and temperature extremes. Next Gen LSiM Series Loudspeakers employ our next gen APP Super Cell. In Super Cell APP, the "puffed cells" are larger, for a thicker cone material that actually has less mass than the original APP material. Super Cell APP has larger cells, for lighter weight and more inherent damping, plus uncompromised stiffness, for unsurpassed transient response and resonance suppression.
Butyl Rubber Surrounds
Durable, soft, injection-molded butyl rubber surrounds are tuned to absorb and suppress unwanted cone resonances. Our new rubber material is impervious to UV, extreme temps and humidity, for a lifetime of smooth, reliable sound.
Extended Linear Motion Voice Coils
Allowing lots of movement in a limited space, ELM Voice Coils power the LSiM mid-range and mid-woofer drivers to extend their higher-frequency response with much less impedance. (LSiM Subwoofers use Overhung Coils, which allow the larger excursions and greater power handling necessary for big subwoofer performance.)
Cast Aluminum Baskets
These lightweight, splayed-strut design baskets provide a rigid structure for precise alignment of the speaker's active parts, for flat response and low distortion, with no mechanical resonances or ringing. The open design provides ample venting for unobstructed linear movement.
Orth Crossovers
Proprietary engineering, designed and patented by Polk Audio to maintain a lower order crossover design and increase power handling. Orth Crossovers feature Mylar and Polypropylene Capacitors for sparkling highs and Air Core Inductors for superior transparency. Notch Filters and sophisticated Zobel circuits smooth the impedance curve of the system for more efficiency and better high frequency response.
The LSiM Enclosure
The enclosure is an integral part of the sound design of the new LSiM Series. All LSiM cabinets are made of .75" MDF, with wide-radius baffles of robust 1.25" MDF. Substantial internal bracing, each driver has its own separate non-parallel chamber, increases efficiency and banishes internal resonances and standing waves, for high power handling and incredible smoothness. Wide-radius baffles, along with zero-diffraction magnetic grilles, help stabilize imaging for a very wide, well-defined soundstage.
Zero-Diffraction Magnetic Grilles
Super thin 1mm, zero-diffraction grilles have no measurable effect on the speaker's response. Completely unobtrusive, stylishly sheer, these grilles lock in place magnetically.
PowerPort Bass Venting
Patented Polk Audio technology that uses a specially designed "cone" at the mouth of the bass port to direct moving air as it exits the port. Air moving out of a bass port creates turbulence, which can result in boomy distortion and "port noise," especially at high volume. This distortion can cause bass output losses up to 3dB, wasting lots of amp power. To eliminate bass-stealing turbulence at the mouth of the port, Polk Audio engineers designed the PowerPort. It's unique shape promotes "laminar" airflow even in short tube ports by mimicking the properties of longer, flared port openings. No turbulence means no wasted power, which means more efficient bass response.
Timbre-Matched Series
Achieve incredible realism and seamless surround effects when you build a complete LSiM system. All models feature the same components and tuning.
Dual Metal Gold-Plated 5-Way Binding Posts
For the most professional, secure connections.
Bi-Amp or Bi-Wire Capability
For the ultimate in high performance, customizable audio.
Innovative Hex-Head Floor Spikes
Level your towers without having to tip them.
Rubber Trim Finishes
Beautiful furniture-grade fit and finish, with no visible screws.
Famous Polk Dependability & Durability
Like all of our products, the LSiM Series uses only the best materials coupled with the most advanced manufacturing techniques on the planet. All Polk products must pass a battery of the most physically strenuous and exhaustive performance tests in the industry, including drop testing and extreme signal response testing. Polk Audio loudspeakers are built to perform for a lifetime.

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Nov 16, 2011 at 09:44 PM »
Spent a hour or so playing the LSi9 at about half volume.  Wow! 

I'm not up to putting into words its performance but I can say that it does out perform the A9 in the regions they share, and the LSi goes pretty low actually.  This not to say the A9 is a low performer however for sure if you are 100% music that does not need the 18Hz reach of the A9 then the LSi9 is the way to go without a doubt ... of course IMHO.

Next on the TODO list is to move the monitor on my desk to the other side so it isn't in the way of the speakers :)
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Dec 04, 2011 at 08:36 AM »
... I can say that it does out perform the A9 in the regions they share, and the LSi goes pretty low actually.

My opinion is shifting, the LSi9 are recently sounding "less" than the RTi A9 ... strange.  Unfortunately, my schedule has not allowed me much time to tinker. 
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM »
My opinion is shifting, the LSi9 are recently sounding "less" than the RTi A9 ... strange.  Unfortunately, my schedule has not allowed me much time to tinker. 

I'm just curious, the Roksan LIII is already a 'bright' amp despite the lack of tone controls. It doesnt cajole the LSi9s ring radiators to life yet?
Gay Stereophile

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 03:40 AM »
Actually what I am using is a MKiii which I think is the predecessor of the L3.  Not really sure Bro what you are asking about but better to ask Ivan or the guys at avshop, who helped me choose.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Mar 18, 2012 at 05:58 PM »
Had a chance to listen to the LSi9 most of the day today, just after spending nearly yesterday with the RTi A9, with more or less the same music. 

When it comes to music, IMHO, now, the LSi9 (w/ the Roksan Kandy MKiii) is better, all around, in music than the RTi A9 (w/ a Yamaha RX-V3800 in "Pure Direct" mode).  The mids of the LSi9 are clear and the bass and highs are pretty much the same ... for music that is though I've never tried the LSi with a movie.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Jun 06, 2012 at 12:04 PM »
because of ambo, I got stuck in Batangas and decided to listen to the 9s straight for several days

They're finally bright with the Rotels.
Gay Stereophile

Offline rukawakaide1721

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Jul 02, 2012 at 08:23 PM »
Buti na lang sir,,, wala akong tainga na kagaya mo hahaha....

RTI A9 owner here din.... ;D ;D ;D

Spent a hour or so playing the LSi9 at about half volume.  Wow! 

I'm not up to putting into words its performance but I can say that it does out perform the A9 in the regions they share, and the LSi goes pretty low actually.  This not to say the A9 is a low performer however for sure if you are 100% music that does not need the 18Hz reach of the A9 then the LSi9 is the way to go without a doubt ... of course IMHO.

Next on the TODO list is to move the monitor on my desk to the other side so it isn't in the way of the speakers :)
Happiness is a choice....