Author Topic: Polk Audio LSI Series  (Read 57431 times)

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Re: Polk Audio LSI Series
« Reply #90 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 03:40 PM »
Because they're so underrated / unappreciated.

Well who can blame the buyers?

At the price you're paying for an LSi series speaker, people would rather go for 'image' or 'status symbol' speakers like B&W 6 series or CM series / Paradigm Reference

You mean to say that these series of speakers are more of "pogi points" rather than having the SQ one is looking for? Have you compared them with the LSi series?
I'm sorry but I happen to own Paradigm Reference series and I'm quite intrigued by your statement (saka hindi ako naging pogi, hehe)
Peace...
Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM by Louie_18 »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #91 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 05:14 PM »
Ang LSiM series kelan kaya magiging available dito satin?  ;D

Malapit na... I think. ;)

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #92 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 07:01 PM »
Malapit na... I think. ;)

Nice...
Eto sir ang magandang abangan at mapakinggan  :)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #93 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 11:05 PM »
You mean to say that these series of speakers are more of "pogi points" rather than having the SQ one is looking for? Have you compared them with the LSi series?
I'm sorry but I happen to own Paradigm Reference series and I'm quite intrigued by your statement (saka hindi ako naging pogi, hehe)
Peace...
Thanks  :)

All im saying is with all things being equal at that price range (SQ, aesthetics) would one go for a B&W 6XX or CM or Paradigm Reference or Polk LSi?

Probably not a lot of LSi owners here
Gay Stereophile
Kann HugoTT GSXMk2 LCDMX4 Elear EtherFlow MDRZ7
DACMagicPlus CA650A RB1582 LSi9 Aon3

Offline cnn

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #94 on: Sep 27, 2011 at 10:48 AM »
Ok,

After much 'auditioning' with my HK3470 (since friday and saturday afternoon) and getting the go signal from my hubby who went with me at AVShop to hear the 'upgrade' speakers, and after an expensive 'bribe' for the approval (yes, corruption starts at home)

Its official - my upgrade is an LSi9.

Can't wait to bring them home after the formalities (aka full payment).

Oh, my hubby's also still recovering from the sticker shock. :o

It's a first time for me to get a flagship bookshelf of a known american marque, a far cry from DIY speaker contraptions I had to put up with when I was still starting out in audio during my elementary till high-school days.

Wow. POLKAUDIO LSi9 :o

Ganda nito sir.  Excellent choice.

Congrats!!!

Hope to own one soon...

OT --- How does the LSi9 SQ compared to your RTiA3 before?  Im also wondering why not the RTiA7 or RTiA9?  I'm very interested to audition the RTiA7 soon. 

@AVSHOP... Sir. Just inquiring if you'll have the RTiA5 FS at your store?

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Sep 27, 2011 at 07:09 PM »

Congrats!!!

Hope to own one soon...

OT --- How does the LSi9 SQ compared to your RTiA3 before?  Im also wondering why not the RTiA7 or RTiA9?  I'm very interested to audition the RTiA7 soon. 

Don't have the a5. We have the a7 and a9 available for demo. :)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Sep 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM »

Congrats!!!

Hope to own one soon...

LSi9's SQ is a cross between the HF performance of a neighbor's KEF XQ10, Midrange/soundstaging of of a B&W 683 (also listened to this in AVShop), Bass of my old AE Evo1 (without the bottoming out part) and all put in together in a very heavy bookshelf enclosure.

Night and day comparison between my old RTiA3s with imaging, brightness and bass

Why not the RTiA7s or the RTiA9s? = DOGS

Ever since my hubby and I had dogs here at home (and yes they sleep on our feet), the bookshelf format was the logical speakers to choose, less issues / consequences with the dogs urinating / pooping on the speakers in the living room (as compared to a floorstander).

When the new house gets completed then I can go back to floorstanders for the dedicated audio/HT room

Actually eyeing an LSi15 FS
Gay Stereophile

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #97 on: Sep 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM »
Im curious kung tutunog nang maganda ang LSi9 sa regular HT AVR...
Walang Setup

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 08:01 AM »
Im curious kung tutunog nang maganda ang LSi9 sa regular HT AVR...

Has to be high power avr. The higher end models. :)

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM »

What would your minimum recommendations among the recent and current AVRs be?
Among the 2-channel amps you carry, tube, solid state or hybrid, which models would you recommend, and how much are these?
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline cnn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 09:20 PM »
LSi9's SQ is a cross between the HF performance of a neighbor's KEF XQ10, Midrange/soundstaging of of a B&W 683 (also listened to this in AVShop), Bass of my old AE Evo1 (without the bottoming out part) and all put in together in a very heavy bookshelf enclosure.

Night and day comparison between my old RTiA3s with imaging, brightness and bass

Why not the RTiA7s or the RTiA9s? = DOGS

Ever since my hubby and I had dogs here at home (and yes they sleep on our feet), the bookshelf format was the logical speakers to choose, less issues / consequences with the dogs urinating / pooping on the speakers in the living room (as compared to a floorstander).

When the new house gets completed then I can go back to floorstanders for the dedicated audio/HT room

Actually eyeing an LSi15 FS

Thanks for the reply... Congrats on the new speakers :)

Offline cnn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 09:21 PM »
Don't have the a5. We have the a7 and a9 available for demo. :)

Thank you sir... Hope to visit your shop soon :)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #102 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 09:30 PM »

Pwede na kaya ang Yamaha RX-V2600 ko?
Walang Setup

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #103 on: Oct 01, 2011 at 12:36 AM »

IMO, B&W 683 is a little better ( 1-2 of 10) than LSi9 but on a higher pricepoint.
LSi9 is a better choice for price/value.
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 01:43 AM »
IMO, B&W 683 is a little better ( 1-2 of 10) than LSi9 but on a higher pricepoint.
LSi9 is a better choice for price/value.

We are comparing very different animals here. They have very different characteristics, and one set is a tower pair while the other is a bookshelf pair.

People would likely polarize towards one end.

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #105 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 12:21 AM »
I agree sir its two different animal (one is a BS and the other an FS)
I am just saying if your only after the output, B&W 683 is better by 1/10 - 2/10 notches.
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 09:03 AM »
I agree sir its two different animal (one is a BS and the other an FS)
I am just saying if your only after the output, B&W 683 is better by 1/10 - 2/10 notches.

I'm also saying that most people would choose one over the other (and it goes both ways). We all have different preferences. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2011 at 09:08 AM by Stagea »

Offline sgxp

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 09:25 AM »
LOL.  Marami review na ko na-read incoherent daw B&W.  Kahit sa stereophile, kahit yung hi-end nila, di raw timber-matched tweeter chaka mid.  Magastos pa sa koryente.
gumby>h80>mod. ip360 / yggy>joti>mod. hd650

Offline defcon3

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #108 on: Oct 07, 2011 at 02:11 PM »
OT question sir. what amp can you recommend to power up the LSI15? have tried it with luxman l-85v but i dont think i can be able to get the same one since we just tested it. thanks :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Oct 07, 2011 at 02:15 PM »
OT question sir. what amp can you recommend to power up the LSI15? have tried it with luxman l-85v but i dont think i can be able to get the same one since we just tested it. thanks :)

I honestly think that it's quite a forgiving speaker with partnering gear, as long as you can deliver the current that it needs.

There are a lot of strong integrateds and separates out there to choose from. :)

Offline mikeer2002ph

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Oct 07, 2011 at 08:29 PM »
I honestly think that it's quite a forgiving speaker with partnering gear, as long as you can deliver the current that it needs.

There are a lot of strong integrateds and separates out there to choose from. :)

The LSi series is both 4 ohms and power-specifically current (read: amps) hungry.

It really depends on your integrated/power amp.

If you pair it with a high current integrated/power amp then it will sing very well.

Recommended amps? Rotel, Adcom, Harman/Kardon, Cambridge Audio (7XX or 8XX series), Hafler, Parasound
Gay Stereophile

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Oct 07, 2011 at 11:03 PM »
It's actually not as hungry as many would like to think. The phase angles are very benign, while the impedance only dips significantly below 4 ohms between 35 and 75Hz (this is why an amp with less current capacity would stumble to handle the lows).

Despite the relatively low impedance, there are a lot of 8-ohm rated speakers that are harder for an amp to drive (because of very negative phase angles coinciding with low impedance numbers).

Impedance Curve

Electrical Phase

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2011 at 11:10 PM by Stagea »

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 01:26 AM »
The LSi series is both 4 ohms and power-specifically current (read: amps) hungry.

It really depends on your integrated/power amp.

If you pair it with a high current integrated/power amp then it will sing very well.

Recommended amps? Rotel, Adcom, Harman/Kardon, Cambridge Audio (7XX or 8XX series), Hafler, Parasound

thanks sir mikeer...what about denon pma 1500ae, would you think it could suffice the PA LSI15's needs (140watts/4ohms,0.1THD)? or a smaller power like marantz pm7001 (70watt/4ohms, 0.1 %THD . so far these are the only int amp that i have found from the retailers.
would gladly appreciate your reply.

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 01:30 AM »
It's actually not as hungry as many would like to think. The phase angles are very benign, while the impedance only dips significantly below 4 ohms between 35 and 75Hz (this is why an amp with less current capacity would stumble to handle the lows).

Despite the relatively low impedance, there are a lot of 8-ohm rated speakers that are harder for an amp to drive (because of very negative phase angles coinciding with low impedance numbers).

Impedance Curve

Electrical Phase

correct me if i am wrong sir.
so if you would explain it in laymen's term, it doesn't necessarily need that amount of power to drive the LSI15? if that would be the case, from your point of view, what do you think the minimum power that can drive them?

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 10:57 AM »
We have one last lsi 9 available pa. Distrubutor had one more pair in stock. If anyone's interested just let me know. :)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 05:36 PM »
correct me if i am wrong sir.
so if you would explain it in laymen's term, it doesn't necessarily need that amount of power to drive the LSI15? if that would be the case, from your point of view, what do you think the minimum power that can drive them?

Yes, it doesn't need as much as many people think. Of course, having a powerful amp increases your dynamic headroom (a very good thing).

The current needs would vary depending on how loud you're planning to play, and what sort of material you listen to. An amp's electrical capability is not just measured by its power rating, so it's hard to set a threshold power spec for suitability.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2011 at 05:40 PM by Stagea »

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Oct 08, 2011 at 07:04 PM »
Yes, it doesn't need as much as many people think. Of course, having a powerful amp increases your dynamic headroom (a very good thing).

The current needs would vary depending on how loud you're planning to play, and what sort of material you listen to. An amp's electrical capability is not just measured by its power rating, so it's hard to set a threshold power spec for suitability.
.                                                                                                                                              My plan is just for soft /acoustic kind of music only. I don't intend to use it for say for loud type of music. ParAng nagsayang Lang ako ng speaker if gawin ko man na pang disco young lsi15. Will 70-120 wAtts enough for them? thAnks in advance

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Oct 09, 2011 at 06:45 AM »
.                                                                                                                                              My plan is just for soft /acoustic kind of music only. I don't intend to use it for say for loud type of music. ParAng nagsayang Lang ako ng speaker if gawin ko man na pang disco young lsi15. Will 70-120 wAtts enough for them? thAnks in advance

It may not need as much current as some people think, but it still needs good current (more than most entry level speakers). Amp selection should not be based largely on rated power output.

What amp are you looking at? A 70 watt amp that's capable of delivering a good amount of current and exhibits a low output impedance would likely suit it just fine. On the other hand, a 120 watt amp with poor damping or current capacity may not do the job well.

Look at the amp's power rating at 8 ohms, at 4 ohms, and at 2 ohms (if any). Unless the maker was fibbing, those amps that nearly double their output at halved impedance would typically be high current amplifiers (not counting amps with multiple taps or speaker impedance switches). Check both continuous and dynamic ratings, as the trend nowadays (at least for entry level and mid-level gear) is to boost the dynamic capability of the amp (aka. instantaneous capacity), allowing it to do tougher loads with "musical material" without building a stronger foundation for continuous output (which could translate to a much higher cost for the maker). Remember that quoted power ratings could be measured very differently between makers and product lines (for both continuous and dynamic ratings).

Amps with high damping factor numbers are those that exhibit low output impedance (granted that you are comparing amps that were measured in a similar manner).

How much are you willing to allocate for the amp, btw?
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2011 at 06:59 AM by Stagea »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #118 on: Oct 09, 2011 at 09:55 AM »
.                                                                                                                                              My plan is just for soft /acoustic kind of music only. I don't intend to use it for say for loud type of music. ParAng nagsayang Lang ako ng speaker if gawin ko man na pang disco young lsi15. Will 70-120 wAtts enough for them? thAnks in advance

That is for now.  :D But there are times when we want to listen to dynamic materials at reference levels every now and then. I've been in the same dilemna before. I've got a 3 watt SET drivin my klipsch speakers. Sa acoustic music, ok lang siya. But for orchestra, fast music, the amp starts to clip. That's why i resorted to bi-amping, which solved my problem.

Offline defcon3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Oct 09, 2011 at 01:13 PM »
It may not need as much current as some people think, but it still needs good current (more than most entry level speakers). Amp selection should not be based largely on rated power output.

What amp are you looking at? A 70 watt amp that's capable of delivering a good amount of current and exhibits a low output impedance would likely suit it just fine. On the other hand, a 120 watt amp with poor damping or current capacity may not do the job well.

Look at the amp's power rating at 8 ohms, at 4 ohms, and at 2 ohms (if any). Unless the maker was fibbing, those amps that nearly double their output at halved impedance would typically be high current amplifiers (not counting amps with multiple taps or speaker impedance switches). Check both continuous and dynamic ratings, as the trend nowadays (at least for entry level and mid-level gear) is to boost the dynamic capability of the amp (aka. instantaneous capacity), allowing it to do tougher loads with "musical material" without building a stronger foundation for continuous output (which could translate to a much higher cost for the maker). Remember that quoted power ratings could be measured very differently between makers and product lines (for both continuous and dynamic ratings).

Amps with high damping factor numbers are those that exhibit low output impedance (granted that you are comparing amps that were measured in a similar manner).

How much are you willing to allocate for the amp, btw?

thank you thank you for your patience and time sir. pasensya na din po sa abala. i dont want to double/triple spend to an amp that won't be able to sustain the necessary amount of power for the LSI.
waste of time and waste of money.  :(

sir, budget will be in between 15-25thou.